What is Web-scanning.com?
Web-scanning.com is one of the sites promoting the McAfee – Your PC is infected with 5 viruses scam. The scam masquerades as a McAfee system scan, displays fake scan results and virus alerts claiming that a computer is infected with five viruses. Scammers use fake virus alerts to trick users into downloading or purchasing software they don’t need.
Usually, users end up on Web-scanning.com and similar scams by going to a misspelled URL or, clicking on a fake link from push notifications and spam emails. In addition, they can be redirected to this scam by malicious advertisements (malvertising) and Adware. Adware can be installed unknowingly when visiting malware-infested websites or downloading pirated versions of software.
Typically, scam sites first check the user’s IP address to determine their geolocation. Scammers, having determined the user’s location, can use various scam schemes, change the page language or redirect the user to other malicious and scam sites. During the research, Web-scanning.com showed a fake message that the computer is infected with 5 viruses and other security threats. It instructs users to click “Proceed..”/”Renew License” to remove the found malware.
As we reported above, scammers use such tactics to trick victims into installing untrustworthy and unreliable software, among which may be fake antivirus software, spyware, trojans, browser hijackers, adware and other malicious software; this is described in more detail in this article.
Web-scanning.com displays a show notifications pop-up that attempts to get users to click the ‘Allow’ button to allow to its notifications. These notifications are advertisements displayed in the lower right corner of the screen urges users to play online games, visit dubious web pages, install internet browser extensions & so on.
How to protect against Web-scanning.com scam
To avoid becoming a victim of scammers, it is important to always keep in mind:
- There are no sites that can detect viruses and other security threats.
- Never install/purchase software promoted by suspicious sites, as it can be useless, and besides, it can be dangerous for you and your computer.
- Close Web-scanning.com as soon as it appears on your computer screen. Scammers can prevent you from closing it in various ways. In such cases, close your browser using Task Manager or restart your computer. If the next time you launch the browser, it prompts you to restore the previous session, abandon it, otherwise this scam will reopen on your screen.
- Use an ad blocker when browsing the internet. It can block known scam sites and protect you from scammers.
|Type||scam, phishing, fake virus alerts|
|Fake claims||Your PC is infected with 5 viruses, Your McAfee subscription has expired|
|Removal||Web-scanning.com removal guide|
McAfee SECURITY ALERT, Your McAfee Subscription Has Expired, McAfee – Your PC is infected with 5 viruses are other scams designed to trick visitors into installing untrustworthy software or calling fake tech support. Some of these scams are positioned as legitimate McAfee pages, but in fact have nothing to do with McAfee. The scam sites should never be trusted, they should be closed as soon as they appear on the screen.
The Web-scanning.com pop-ups are caused by malicious advertisements on websites you visit, browser notifications or Adware. Browser (push) notifications are originally developed to alert the user of recently published news. Scammers use push notifications to bypass pop up blockers and display lots of unwanted ads. These ads are used to promote questionable internet browser extensions, free gifts scams, adware software bundles, and adult webpages.
Adware is a form of malicious software. It have different methods of earning by displaying the advertisements forcibly to its victims. Adware software can generate pop-ups, show annoying ads, change the victim’s browser settings, or redirect the victim’s internet browser to unrequested webpages. Aside from causing unwanted advertisements and internet browser redirects, it also can slow down the personal computer.
How does Adware get on your PC
How to remove Web-scanning.com pop-ups from Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge
Fortunately, it is not hard to get rid of Web-scanning.com pop-ups. In the following steps, we will provide two methods to remove adware software associated with the scam pop-ups. One is the manual removal method and the other is automatic removal method. You can choose the method that best fits you. Please follow the removal tutorial below to delete Web-scanning.com scam right now!
To remove Web-scanning.com, perform the steps below:
- How to remove Web-scanning.com popups without any software
- Automatic Removal of Web-scanning.com popup scam
- Stop Web-scanning.com scam
How to remove Web-scanning.com popups without any software
In most cases, it is possible to manually delete Web-scanning.com scam. This method does not involve the use of any tricks or removal tools. You just need to recover the normal settings of the PC and web browser. This can be done by following a few simple steps below. If you want to quickly remove scam pop ups, as well as perform a full scan of your PC, we recommend that you use adware removal utilities, which are listed below.
Delete questionable apps using MS Windows Control Panel
When troubleshooting a computer, one common step is go to Microsoft Windows Control Panel and delete dubious software. The same approach will be used in the removal of Web-scanning.com pop up scam. Please use instructions based on your Microsoft Windows version.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then click Windows button, next click Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then click “Start” button and click “Control Panel”.
- It will open the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, click “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will show a list of all apps installed on the PC system.
- Scroll through the all list, and uninstall questionable and unknown applications. To quickly find the latest installed software, we recommend sort apps by date.
See more details in the video guide below.
Remove Web-scanning.com from Mozilla Firefox by resetting web-browser settings
If your Mozilla Firefox web-browser is redirected to Web-scanning.com or an unknown search provider shows results for your search, then it may be time to perform the web-browser reset. However, your saved passwords and bookmarks will not be changed, deleted or cleared.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and click the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as displayed on the image below.
A small menu will appear, press the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, press “Refresh Firefox” button such as the one below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to return your Firefox internet browser settings to their original settings.
Delete Web-scanning.com scam from Internet Explorer
If you find that Microsoft Internet Explorer web-browser settings such as search provider by default, new tab page and start page had been replaced by adware, then you can restore your settings, via the reset web-browser procedure.
First, launch the Internet Explorer, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will open the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the browser, then press the “Internet Options” as on the image below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The IE will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” prompt. Further, press the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, press the “Reset” button as displayed in the figure below.
After the procedure is complete, click “Close” button. Close the Internet Explorer and restart your personal computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your web-browser settings to default state.
Remove Web-scanning.com scam from Chrome
If you have adware, Web-scanning.com popups problems or Google Chrome is running slow, then reset Chrome can help you. In this guide we’ll show you the way to reset your Chrome settings and data to original state without reinstall.
- First, run the Chrome and press the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed plugins. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following steps: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, press “Advanced” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, press the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Google Chrome will open the reset settings dialog box as shown on the image above.
- Confirm the internet browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Automatic Removal of Web-scanning.com popup scam
If the Web-scanning.com pop-up scam are still there, the situation is more serious. But don’t worry. There are several utilities that are created to search for and remove adware from your browser and device. If you are searching for a free way to adware removal, then Zemana Anti-Malware is a good option. Also you can get HitmanPro and MalwareBytes AntiMalware. Both applications also available for free unlimited scanning and for removal of found malware, adware software and PUPs.
Remove Web-scanning.com pop-ups with Zemana Anti-Malware
Zemana AntiMalware is a program that is used for malicious software, adware software, hijackers and PUPs removal. The program is one of the most efficient anti malware utilities. It helps in malicious software removal and and defends all other types of security threats. One of the biggest advantages of using Zemana AntiMalware is that is easy to use and is free. Also, it constantly keeps updating its virus/malware signatures DB. Let’s see how to install and check your PC with Zemana AntiMalware in order to remove Web-scanning.com popups from your PC.
- Click the link below to download the latest version of Zemana for MS Windows. Save it on your MS Windows desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- Once you have downloaded the installation file, make sure to double click on the Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. This would start the Zemana AntiMalware setup on your computer.
- Select setup language and click ‘OK’ button.
- On the next screen ‘Setup Wizard’ simply click the ‘Next’ button and follow the prompts.
- Finally, once the installation is complete, Zemana Anti-Malware will open automatically. Else, if does not then double-click on the Zemana icon on your desktop.
- Now that you have successfully install Zemana AntiMalware, let’s see How to use Zemana Anti-Malware to get rid of Web-scanning.com scam from your computer.
- After you have started the Zemana AntiMalware, you will see a window like below, just click ‘Scan’ button . Zemana Anti-Malware application will scan through the whole PC for the adware software.
- Now pay attention to the screen while Zemana scans your computer.
- Once Zemana Anti-Malware has finished scanning, Zemana Anti-Malware will open a scan report. Review the results once the utility has done the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply press ‘Next’ button.
- Zemana AntiMalware may require a restart computer in order to complete the Web-scanning.com popups removal process.
- If you want to fully delete adware from your personal computer, then click ‘Quarantine’ icon, select all malware, adware, PUPs and other items and press Delete.
- Restart your computer to complete the adware removal process.
Get rid of Web-scanning.com pop-ups from web browsers with Hitman Pro
Hitman Pro is a portable application that requires no hard installation to scan for and get rid of adware that causes Web-scanning.com pop ups in your internet browser. The program itself is small in size (only a few Mb). HitmanPro does not need any drivers and special dlls. It is probably easier to use than any alternative malicious software removal tools you’ve ever tried. Hitman Pro works on 64 and 32-bit versions of MS Windows 10, 8, 7 and XP. It proves that removal tool can be just as useful as the widely known antivirus applications.
HitmanPro can be downloaded from the following link. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
When the download is finished, open the directory in which you saved it and double-click the Hitman Pro icon. It will start the Hitman Pro tool. If the User Account Control prompt will ask you want to start the application, press Yes button to continue.
Next, click “Next” to perform a system scan with this tool for the adware software that causes multiple annoying popups. When a malicious software, adware software or potentially unwanted software are found, the count of the security threats will change accordingly.
After HitmanPro completes the scan, the results are displayed in the scan report as shown in the following example.
Make sure all threats have ‘checkmark’ and click “Next” button. It will open a dialog box, click the “Activate free license” button. The Hitman Pro will begin to delete adware that causes multiple annoying pop-ups. Once that process is complete, the tool may ask you to reboot your PC system.
Remove Web-scanning.com popup scam with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
If you’re still having problems with the Web-scanning.com pop up scam — or just wish to scan your PC system occasionally for adware and other malicious software — download MalwareBytes AntiMalware. It is free for home use, and scans for and removes various unwanted apps that attacks your computer or degrades computer performance. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware can delete adware software, PUPs as well as malicious software, including ransomware and trojans.
Installing the MalwareBytes is simple. First you’ll need to download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware on your Windows Desktop from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
After the download is finished, close all windows on your device. Further, launch the file called MBSetup. If the “User Account Control” prompt pops up like the one below, press the “Yes” button.
It will display the Setup wizard which will assist you install MalwareBytes AntiMalware on the PC. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
Once installation is done successfully, press “Get Started” button. Then MalwareBytes AntiMalware will automatically start and you can see its main window as displayed below.
Next, press the “Scan” button to search for adware that causes multiple annoying popups. This task can take quite a while, so please be patient. When a threat is found, the count of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the scanning is done.
After the scan is done, the results are displayed in the scan report. All detected threats will be marked. You can delete them all by simply press “Quarantine” button.
The MalwareBytes AntiMalware will remove adware software that causes Web-scanning.com popups in your web-browser. Once the task is done, you can be prompted to reboot your personal computer. We suggest you look at the following video, which completely explains the procedure of using the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to get rid of hijackers, adware software and other malicious software.
Stop Web-scanning.com scam
We advise to install an ad-blocking program which can block Web-scanning.com and other scam web pages. The ad blocker tool like AdGuard is a program which basically removes advertising from the Internet and blocks access to malicious web-pages. Moreover, security experts says that using adblocker applications is necessary to stay safe when surfing the World Wide Web.
Visit the page linked below to download the latest version of AdGuard for MS Windows. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
When downloading is complete, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen like below.
Follow the prompts. Once the install is finished, you will see a window as shown in the figure below.
You can press “Skip” to close the install program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial which will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your device, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted advertisements, block Web-scanning.com, as well as other malicious or misleading websites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which is located on your desktop.
To sum up
We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted advertisements and unwanted harmful websites) and Zemana Anti-Malware (to periodically scan your PC system for new malicious software, hijackers and adware). Make sure that you have all the Critical Updates recommended for Microsoft Windows operating system. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new hijackers, malicious programs and adware are released.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove Web-scanning.com pop-up scam from your browser, then ask for help here.