What is True Dark?
The computer security experts have determined that True Dark is a browser extension which falls under the category of Browser hijackers. Browser hijackers are designed to take over the web browser and control user’s surfing preferences. It commonly aims at Chrome internet browser, but it’s possible that it can hijack other web-browser too. Browser hijackers and PUPs can sneak into computers unnoticed due to the fact that it’s actively being promoted in free software. We suggest that you remove True Dark as soon as you notice the changes it has made to your default search provider, new tab page and startpage.
The browser hijacker takes over your internet browser’s default search provider and controls what will be displayed to you whenever you do a searching. Other than the search results, it also provides a large number of annoying ads on the search page. Some of these advertisements created to trick you into buying certain questionable products and programs. Moreover, sometimes, those ads could redirect you to misleading or harmful web-pages.
Another reason why you need to remove True Dark is its online data-tracking activity. It can gather user data, including:
- IP addresses;
- URLs visited;
- search queries/terms;
- clicks on links and ads;
- browser version information.
Browser hijackers are usually written in ways common to malicious software, spyware and adware. In order to get rid of browser hijacker and uninstall True Dark, you will need follow the steps below or use free removal tool listed below.
How can a browser hijacker get on your PC
|Type||start page hijacker, PUP, browser hijacker, redirect virus, search engine hijacker|
|Affected Browser Settings||new tab page URL, search provider, startpage|
|Distribution||free software installers, fake updaters, shady pop up ads|
|Symptoms||Advertising banners appear on web sites that you are visiting. Every time you perform an Internet search, your internet browser is redirected to another webpage. There is an unwanted application in the ‘Uninstall a program’ section of your Control Panel. Unwanted web browser toolbar(s) Unexpected changes in your browser like using a new default search provider.|
|Removal||True Dark removal guide|
How to remove True Dark from Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge
As with removing adware, malicious software or PUPs, there are few steps you can do. We advise trying them all. If you do only one part of the tutorial, then it should be run free malware removal tools, because you need to not only remove hijacker, but also prevent malicious software from infecting your computer. But to completely get rid of True Dark you will have to at least reset your browser settings such as start page, newtab and search engine to default state, disinfect web browsers shortcuts, uninstall all unwanted and suspicious applications, and remove browser hijacker with malware removal utilities. Read this manual carefully, bookmark it or open this page on your smartphone, because you may need to close your web browser or reboot your personal computer.
To remove True Dark, perform the steps below:
- How to manually delete True Dark
- Automatic Removal of True Dark
- How to stop True Dark redirect
How to manually delete True Dark
To remove True Dark browser hijacker, adware and other unwanted apps you can try to do so manually. Unfortunately some of the hijackers won’t show up in your application list, but some browser hijackers may. In this case, you may be able to get rid of it through the uninstall function of your PC system. You can do this by following the steps below.
Uninstall unwanted or newly added software
Check out the MS Windows Control Panel (Programs and Features section) to see all installed software. We recommend to click on the “Date Installed” in order to sort the list of software by the date you installed them. If you see any unknown and suspicious programs, they are the ones you need to remove.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
First, click the Windows button , then press Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
First, press “Start” and select “Control Panel”.
It will display the Windows Control Panel as shown on the screen below.
Next, click “Uninstall a program”
It will display a list of all programs installed on your personal computer. Scroll through the all list, and remove any suspicious and unknown apps. To quickly find the latest installed applications, we recommend sort programs by date in the Control panel.
Remove True Dark hijacker from Internet Explorer
If you find that Internet Explorer web-browser settings like new tab page, home page and search engine had been hijacked, then you may restore your settings, via the reset browser process.
First, open the Microsoft Internet Explorer. Next, click the button in the form of gear (). It will open the Tools drop-down menu, click the “Internet Options” similar to the one below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as shown in the following example. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then press “Reset” button.
You will now need to restart your PC system for the changes to take effect.
Remove True Dark from Google Chrome
The True Dark as your search engine or start page or other symptom of having browser hijacker in your web browser is a good reason to reset Chrome. This is an easy method to restore the Chrome settings and not lose any important information.
- First start the Google Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the addon labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guide: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Google Chrome will open the reset profile settings page as shown on the image above.
- Next press the “Reset” button.
- Once this process is finished, your web-browser’s default search engine, home page and new tab page will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Delete True Dark from Firefox by resetting web browser settings
Resetting your Mozilla Firefox is first troubleshooting step for any issues with your internet browser program, including the redirect to True Dark website. However, your themes, bookmarks, history, passwords, and web form auto-fill information will not be deleted.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and press the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as shown on the image below.
A small menu will appear, click the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, click “Refresh Firefox” button as shown on the screen below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to return your Firefox web-browser settings to their original state.
Automatic Removal of True Dark
Anti-Malware applications differ from each other by many features like performance, scheduled scans, automatic updates, virus signature database, technical support, compatibility with other antivirus apps and so on. We suggest you run the following free software: Zemana, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and Hitman Pro. Each of these applications has all of needed features, but most importantly, they can locate the hijacker and delete True Dark from the Chrome, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge and Mozilla Firefox.
Get rid of True Dark browser hijacker with Zemana AntiMalware
Zemana AntiMalware is a free utility that performs a scan of your computer and displays if there are existing adware software, browser hijackers, viruses, worms, spyware, trojans and other malicious software residing on your computer. If malware is detected, Zemana can automatically remove it. Zemana doesn’t conflict with other anti-malware and antivirus applications installed on your personal computer.
- First, click the link below, then click the ‘Download’ button in order to download the latest version of Zemana AntiMalware.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your web browser will open the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After the downloading process is finished, please close all apps and open windows on your computer. Next, launch a file called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will open the “Setup wizard” of Zemana AntiMalware onto your PC system. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana will start and open the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button to start scanning your PC system for the True Dark browser hijacker. While the Zemana Anti-Malware application is checking, you may see number of objects it has identified as threat.
- After the scan is complete, Zemana will show you the results.
- All detected threats will be marked. You can remove them all by simply click the “Next” button. The tool will get rid of True Dark hijacker and move the selected items to the program’s quarantine. Once disinfection is complete, you may be prompted to restart the computer.
- Close the Zemana and continue with the next step.
Run HitmanPro to delete True Dark hijacker
HitmanPro is a completely free (30 day trial) tool. You don’t need expensive ways to delete True Dark hijacker and other unsafe software. Hitman Pro will remove all the undesired apps such as adware software and browser hijackers at zero cost.
- Installing the HitmanPro is simple. First you will need to download HitmanPro on your PC by clicking on the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- Once the download is complete, double click the HitmanPro icon. Once this utility is launched, press “Next” button to start scanning your personal computer for the True Dark browser hijacker.
- Once finished, HitmanPro will produce a list of unwanted applications and hijacker. When you are ready, press “Next” button. Now press the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to get rid of all malicious software found.
Use MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to remove True Dark browser hijacker
We advise using the MalwareBytes that are completely clean your computer of the hijacker. The free utility is an advanced malicious software removal application designed by (c) Malwarebytes lab. This program uses the world’s most popular anti malware technology. It is able to help you delete browser hijacker, PUPs, malware, adware, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your computer for free.
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your Windows desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
After the downloading process is complete, close all apps and windows on your computer. Double-click the install file named MBSetup. If the “User Account Control” dialog box pops up as shown in the figure below, click the “Yes” button.
It will open the Setup wizard which will help you set up MalwareBytes Anti-Malware on your PC system. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
Once installation is done successfully, press “Get Started” button. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will automatically start and you can see its main screen as shown in the following example.
Now press the “Scan” button to perform a system scan with this utility for the True Dark hijacker. Depending on your device, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the MalwareBytes AntiMalware is checking, you may see count of objects it has identified either as being malicious software.
After the scan get completed, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will produce a list of unwanted apps and browser hijacker. Make sure to check mark the items which are unsafe and then click “Quarantine” button. The MalwareBytes AntiMalware will begin to remove True Dark browser hijacker. After disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to restart the computer.
We advise you look at the following video, which completely explains the procedure of using the MalwareBytes to delete adware, browser hijacker and other malware.
How to stop True Dark redirect
It is also critical to protect your web browsers from harmful websites and ads by using an ad blocking application like AdGuard. Security experts says that it will greatly reduce the risk of malicious software, and potentially save lots of money. Additionally, the AdGuard can also protect your privacy by blocking almost all trackers.
AdGuard can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your MS Windows desktop or in any other place.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
Once downloading is complete, double-click the downloaded file to launch it. The “Setup Wizard” window will show up on the computer screen as on the image below.
Follow the prompts. AdGuard will then be installed and an icon will be placed on your desktop. A window will show up asking you to confirm that you want to see a quick guide as displayed below.
Press “Skip” button to close the window and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick guide which will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
Each time, when you launch your device, AdGuard will run automatically and stop unwanted ads, block True Dark redirects, as well as other harmful or misleading websites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that can be found on your desktop.
To sum up
We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you stop unwanted pop ups and annoying malicious webpages) and Zemana (to periodically scan your computer for new hijacker and other malware). Probably you are running an older version of Java or Adobe Flash Player. This can be a security risk, so download and install the latest version right now.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove True Dark browser hijacker from Edge, IE, Google Chrome and Firefox, then ask for help here.