What is Ocean Tabs?
According to experienced security researchers, Ocean Tabs is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that falls under the family of Browser hijackers. Browser hijacker is a part of software that is created to take over the internet browser and control user’s surfing preferences. It commonly aims at Chrome internet browser, but it’s possible that it can hijack other web-browser too. Potentially unwanted programs and browser hijackers can sneak into the computer unnoticed due to the fact that it’s actively being promoted in free applications. We recommend that you uninstall Ocean Tabs as soon as you notice the changes it has made to your internet browser settings.
The browser hijacker takes over your web-browser’s default search engine and controls what will be displayed to you whenever you do a searching. Other than the search results, it also provides lots of annoying ads on the search page. Some of these advertisements developed to force you into buying certain questionable products and applications. Moreover, sometimes, those advertisements could redirect you to misleading or malicious web-sites.
In addition to the above, it can be used to collect a wide variety of your privacy info which can be later sold to third party companies. You do not know if your home address, account names and passwords are safe. And of course you completely do not know what will happen when you click on any advertisements on the Ocean Tabs web site.
So, if you happen to encounter a browser hijacker or other such problem, then be quick and take effort to get rid of the browser hijacker sooner. Follow the tutorial below to get rid of Ocean Tabs. Let us know how you managed by sending us your comments please.
How can a browser hijacker get on your PC system
The majority of potentially unwanted programs and browser hijackers such as Ocean Tabs gets on computers as a part of free applications or even paid apps which Web users can easily download online. The installers of such apps, most often, clearly indicate that they will install additional applications. The option is given to users to stop the installation of any third-party applications. So, in order to avoid the install of any hijackers: read all disclaimers and install screens very carefully, select only Custom or Advanced installation option and uncheck all third-party software in which you are unsure.
|Type||search provider hijacker, homepage hijacker, PUP, browser hijacker, redirect virus|
|Affected Browser Settings||home page, search engine, new tab URL|
|Distribution||fake update tools, misleading pop-up advertisements, freeware installation packages|
|Symptoms||Pop ups and newtab pages are loaded without your request. You keep getting redirected to dubious web-pages. New entries appear in your Programs folder. New browser toolbars suddenly installed on your browser. Your web-browser homepage has changed without your permission.|
|Removal||Ocean Tabs removal guide|
How to remove Ocean Tabs from Google Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge
In order to delete Ocean Tabs from the Firefox, Edge, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer and set your preferred homepage and search engine, you need to reset the internet browser settings. Additionally, you should look up for other dubious entries, such as files, programs, web browser extensions and shortcuts. However, if you want to remove the browser hijacker easily, you should use reputable anti malware tool and let it do the job for you.
To remove Ocean Tabs, execute the steps below:
- How to manually remove Ocean Tabs
- Automatic Removal of Ocean Tabs
- How to stop Ocean Tabs redirect
How to manually remove Ocean Tabs
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually get rid of Ocean Tabs browser hijacker from the Microsoft Internet Explorer, MS Edge, Google Chrome and Firefox.
Delete Ocean Tabs associated software by using Microsoft Windows Control Panel
In order to delete potentially unwanted apps such as this hijacker, open the Microsoft Windows Control Panel and click on “Uninstall a program”. Check the list of installed applications. For the ones you do not know, run an Internet search to see if they are adware software, browser hijacker or potentially unwanted applications. If yes, uninstall them off. Even if they are just a software that you do not use, then uninstalling them off will increase your computer start up time and speed dramatically.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
First, press Windows button , then press Search . Type ‘Control panel’and press Enter as displayed on the image below.
After the ‘Control Panel’ opens, click the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category such as the one below.
You will see the ‘Uninstall a program’ panel as on the image below.
Very carefully look around the entire list of programs installed on your computer. Most probably, one of them is the Ocean Tabs hijacker. If you’ve many applications installed, you can help simplify the search of harmful programs by sort the list by date of installation. Once you’ve found a dubious, unwanted or unused program, right click to it, after that click ‘Uninstall’.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
First, press ‘Start’ button and select ‘Control Panel’ at right panel like the one below.
After the Windows ‘Control Panel’ opens, you need to click ‘Uninstall a program’ under ‘Programs’ as displayed on the screen below.
You will see a list of applications installed on your device. We recommend to sort the list by date of installation to quickly find the applications that were installed last. Most likely, it’s the Ocean Tabs browser hijacker. If you’re in doubt, you can always check the program by doing a search for her name in Google, Yahoo or Bing. After the program which you need to remove is found, simply click on its name, and then click ‘Uninstall’ such as the one below.
Remove Ocean Tabs browser hijacker from browsers
Unwanted Ocean Tabs homepage or other symptoms of hijacker in your browser is a good reason to find and remove malicious extensions. This is an easy method to recover browsers settings and not lose any important information.
|Google Chrome||Mozilla Firefox|
You can also try to remove Ocean Tabs browser hijacker by reset Chrome settings.
If you are still experiencing issues with Ocean Tabs browser hijacker removal, you need to reset Mozilla Firefox browser.
Another solution to remove Ocean Tabs browser hijacker from Internet Explorer is reset IE settings.
Automatic Removal of Ocean Tabs
If you are an unskilled computer user, then all your attempts to get rid of Ocean Tabs browser hijacker by following the manual steps above might result in failure. To find and remove the brower hijacker related files and registry entries that keep this hijacker on your PC, use free anti-malware software such as Zemana AntiMalware, MalwareBytes and HitmanPro from our list below.
Use Zemana Anti-Malware to remove Ocean Tabs browser hijacker
Zemana highly recommended, because it can find security threats such browser hijacker and adware that most ‘classic’ antivirus programs fail to pick up on. Moreover, if you have any Ocean Tabs browser hijacker removal problems which cannot be fixed by this tool automatically, then Zemana provides 24X7 online assistance from the highly experienced support staff.
- Download Zemana on your Windows Desktop from the link below.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- Once you have downloaded the install file, make sure to double click on the Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. This would start the Zemana AntiMalware installation on your computer.
- Select install language and press ‘OK’ button.
- On the next screen ‘Setup Wizard’ simply click the ‘Next’ button and follow the prompts.
- Finally, once the installation is finished, Zemana Anti-Malware will start automatically. Else, if does not then double-click on the Zemana Anti-Malware icon on your desktop.
- Now that you have successfully install Zemana AntiMalware, let’s see How to use Zemana AntiMalware to get rid of Ocean Tabs browser hijacker from your computer.
- After you have started the Zemana Anti-Malware, you will see a window as displayed on the screen below, just click ‘Scan’ button to perform a system scan with this tool for the browser hijacker.
- Now pay attention to the screen while Zemana scans your computer.
- After that process is complete, it will show the Scan Results. In order to remove all threats, simply click ‘Next’ button.
- Zemana AntiMalware may require a restart computer in order to complete the Ocean Tabs browser hijacker removal process.
- If you want to permanently delete hijacker from your PC, then press ‘Quarantine’ icon, select all malware, adware software, potentially unwanted apps and other items and click Delete.
- Restart your computer to complete the hijacker removal process.
Run Hitman Pro to remove Ocean Tabs from the device
If the Ocean Tabs issue persists, run the Hitman Pro and scan if your computer is hijacked by browser hijacker. The HitmanPro is a downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps delete adware, potentially unwanted applications, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus.
First, visit the following page, then press the ‘Download’ button in order to download the latest version of HitmanPro.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
Once downloading is done, open the directory in which you saved it and double-click the HitmanPro icon. It will launch the HitmanPro tool. If the User Account Control prompt will ask you want to start the program, press Yes button to continue.
Next, press “Next” for scanning your computer for the Ocean Tabs browser hijacker. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient. While the Hitman Pro program is scanning, you may see how many objects it has identified as threat.
After finished, Hitman Pro will prepare a list of unwanted programs and browser hijacker as on the image below.
Review the results once the tool has finished the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply press “Next” button. It will open a prompt, press the “Activate free license” button. The HitmanPro will remove Ocean Tabs hijacker and move the selected items to the program’s quarantine. Once finished, the tool may ask you to reboot your computer.
Get rid of Ocean Tabs browser hijacker with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
If you’re still having problems with the Ocean Tabs hijacker — or just wish to check your PC system occasionally for hijacker and other malicious software — download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. It is free for home use, and detects and removes various unwanted programs that attacks your PC or degrades personal computer performance. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware can delete adware, potentially unwanted software as well as malicious software, including ransomware and trojans.
- Please go to the link below to download the latest version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for Windows. Save it directly to your Microsoft Windows Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- After the download is finished, close all apps and windows on your computer. Open a file location. Double-click on the icon that’s named MBsetup.
- Select “Personal computer” option and press Install button. Follow the prompts.
- Once installation is done, click the “Scan” button for scanning your device for the Ocean Tabs browser hijacker. While the utility is checking, you can see number of objects and files has already scanned.
- After the scan is done, the results are displayed in the scan report. Review the report and then click “Quarantine”. Once the cleaning procedure is done, you can be prompted to reboot your device.
The following video offers a step-by-step guidance on how to remove hijackers, adware and other malware with MalwareBytes.
How to stop Ocean Tabs redirect
If you surf the Net, you cannot avoid malicious advertising. But you can protect your web browser against it. Download and use an ad-blocker program. AdGuard is an ad-blocker that can filter out a large amount of of the malicious advertising, blocking dynamic scripts from loading harmful content.
- Please go to the link below to download the latest version of AdGuard for Microsoft Windows. Save it on your Desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- Once the download is done, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the installation is finished, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted ads, block Ocean Tabs redirects, as well as other harmful or misleading web pages. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted pop-ups and unwanted harmful web sites) and Zemana Anti-Malware (to periodically scan your personal computer for new hijacker and other malicious software). Probably you are running an older version of Java or Adobe Flash Player. This can be a security risk, so download and install the latest version right now.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove Ocean Tabs from Edge, Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox, then ask for help here.