What is Check My Email Tab?
Cyber threat analysts has determined that the Check My Email Tab is a potentially unwanted program and a browser hijacker. It performs changes on popular browsers installed on the affected computer. Particularly, it changes the user’s default startpage, newtab URL and search engine for their Mozilla Firefox, Edge, Chrome or Internet Explorer web-browsers.
Most often, PUPs and browser hijackers promote fake search providers by setting their address as the default search provider. Check My Email Tab installs ‘https://query.hcheckmyemail.co/s’ as a search engine. This means that users whose web browser is hijacked with the browser hijacker are forced to visit hcheckmyemail.co each time they search in the Net, open a new window or tab. And since this website is not a real search engine and does not have the ability to find the information users need, this web page redirects the user’s web-browser to the Yahoo search engine. The makers of Check My Email Tab doing this to generate advertising money from these advertisements.
It is not a good idea to have Check My Email Tab on the computer. The reason for this is simple, it doing things you don’t know about. This PUP can be used to gather lots of marketing-type data about you which may be later sold to third parties. You do not know if your home address, account names and passwords are safe. And of course you completely do not know what will happen when you click on any ads on the Check My Email Tab web-site.
|Name||Check My Email Tab|
|Type||browser hijacker, search engine hijacker, startpage hijacker, toolbar, unwanted new tab, redirect virus|
|Removal||Check My Email Tab removal guide|
How can Check My Email Tab get on your PC
Usually, PUPs such as Check My Email Tab gets into your personal computer as part of a bundle with freeware, sharing files and other unsafe applications which you downloaded from the World Wide Web. The makers of this browser hijacker pays software developers for distributing Check My Email Tab within their apps. So, third-party apps is often included as part of the setup file. In order to avoid the installation of any PUPs: select only Manual, Custom or Advanced installation mode and reject all additional programs in which you are unsure.
Therefore, Check My Email Tab is a potentially unwanted program and should not be used. If you noticed any of the symptoms mentioned above, we advise you to complete guide below to remove the hijacker and remove Check My Email Tab from your internet browser settings.
How to remove Check My Email Tab redirect
We are presenting various solutions to delete Check My Email Tab from the Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer and Google Chrome using only internal Microsoft Windows functions. Most of hijackers and PUPs can be removed via these processes. If these steps does not help to get rid of Check My Email Tab, then it is better to run free malware removal tools linked below.
To remove Check My Email Tab, execute the steps below:
- How to manually remove Check My Email Tab
- Automatic Removal of Check My Email Tab
- Stop Check My Email Tab redirect
- To sum up
How to manually remove Check My Email Tab
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually get rid of Check My Email Tab from the Edge, Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Delete unwanted or newly added programs
In order to uinstall Check My Email Tab, first thing you need to do is to uninstall unknown and questionable programs from your computer using Microsoft Windows control panel. When removing this browser hijacker infection, check the list of installed applications and try to find questionable programs and remove them all. Pay special attention to newly added software, as it is most likely that Check My Email Tab сame along with it.
|Windows 7||Windows 8|
|Windows 10||Mac OS|
Delete Check My Email Tab startpage from Mozilla Firefox
Resetting your Mozilla Firefox is first troubleshooting step for any issues with your web browser program, including the reroute to Check My Email Tab webpage. Essential information like bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, cookies, auto-fill data and personal dictionaries will not be removed.
First, open the Mozilla Firefox and click button. It will show the drop-down menu on the right-part of the internet browser. Further, press the Help button () as displayed below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the web-browser adress bar and press Enter. It will display the “Troubleshooting Information” page as displayed in the following example. In the upper-right corner of this screen, press the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will open the confirmation dialog box. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Firefox will start a process to fix your problems that caused by the Check My Email Tab hijacker. When, it is complete, click the “Finish” button.
Remove Check My Email Tab from Google Chrome
Resetting Google Chrome to original state is effective in removing the Check My Email Tab hijacker from your web browser. This solution is always effective to complete if you have trouble in removing changes caused by hijacker.
First launch the Google Chrome. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal dots ().
It will display the Chrome menu. Choose More Tools, then press Extensions. Carefully browse through the list of installed plugins. If the list has the extension signed with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following steps: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Open the Chrome menu once again. Further, click the option called “Settings”.
The web browser will display the settings screen. Another way to display the Google Chrome’s settings – type chrome://settings in the internet browser adress bar and press Enter
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and press the “Advanced” link. Now scroll down until the “Reset” section is visible, as displayed on the image below and click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
The Chrome will open the confirmation dialog box like below.
You need to confirm your action, click the “Reset” button. The web-browser will run the task of cleaning. After it is done, the browser’s settings including newtab page, start page and search engine by default back to the values that have been when the Chrome was first installed on your PC system.
Get rid of Check My Email Tab search from Internet Explorer
First, start the IE, click ) button. Next, click “Internet Options” like the one below.
In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, click Reset button. The IE will show the Reset Internet Explorer settings prompt. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and click Reset button.
You will now need to restart your personal computer for the changes to take effect. It will remove Check My Email Tab, disable malicious and ad-supported web-browser’s extensions and restore the IE’s settings like start page, search engine and newtab page to default state.
Automatic Removal of Check My Email Tab
Many antivirus companies have created applications that help detect and delete PUPs, and thereby revert back internet browsers settings. Below is a a few of the free programs you may want to use. Your PC may have tons of potentially unwanted software, adware and browser hijacker infections installed at the same time, so we suggest, if any unwanted or harmful application returns after rebooting the machine, then start your machine into Safe Mode and run the anti malware utility again.
How to remove Check My Email Tab with Zemana Anti Malware
Zemana Free is an amazing tool to get rid of Check My Email Tab from your web browser. It also deletes malicious software and adware from your computer. It improves your system’s performance by deleting PUPs.
- Download Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) on your computer by clicking on the link below.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your browser will open the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After downloading is finished, please close all programs and open windows on your PC system. Next, start a file called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will open the “Setup wizard” of Zemana onto your PC. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) will run and open the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan with this utility for Check My Email Tab and other PUPs. This process may take quite a while, so please be patient. During the scan Zemana will locate threats present on your computer.
- After the scanning is finished, it will open the Scan Results.
- Next, you need to click the “Next” button. The tool will remove hijacker infection. When the cleaning procedure is finished, you may be prompted to reboot the PC system.
- Close the Zemana Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Get rid of Check My Email Tab redirect from internet browsers with Hitman Pro
HitmanPro is a portable program which requires no hard installation to search for and get rid of Check My Email Tab. The program itself is small in size (only a few Mb). Hitman Pro does not need any drivers and special dlls. It’s probably easier to use than any alternative malicious software removal utilities you’ve ever tried. HitmanPro works on 64 and 32-bit versions of Windows 10, 8, 7 and XP. It proves that removal tool can be just as useful as the widely known antivirus applications.
- First, visit the page linked below, then press the ‘Download’ button in order to download the latest version of HitmanPro.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- When the downloading process is complete, double click the Hitman Pro icon. Once this utility is started, press “Next” button . Hitman Pro utility will begin scanning the whole personal computer to find out Check My Email Tab PUP. This process can take quite a while, so please be patient. When a malware, adware or potentially unwanted applications are detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly.
- When HitmanPro is complete scanning your system, HitmanPro will prepare a list of unwanted software. Review the report and then press “Next” button. Now press the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to remove all malicious software found.
How to get rid of Check My Email Tab with MalwareBytes AntiMalware
We suggest using the MalwareBytes AntiMalware. You may download and install MalwareBytes AntiMalware to look for and get rid of Check My Email Tab from your PC. When installed and updated, this free malicious software remover automatically detects and removes all threats present on the system.
- Download MalwareBytes Anti Malware from the following link. Save it on your MS Windows desktop or in any other place.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- Once the download is done, close all programs and windows on your system. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- Further, press Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is finished, press the “Scan Now” button . MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) program will scan through the whole PC for Check My Email Tab and other web browser’s harmful addons. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your computer. When a malware, adware or potentially unwanted apps are detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly.
- After MalwareBytes Free completes the scan, it will show the Scan Results. You may delete threats (move to Quarantine) by simply click “Quarantine Selected”. Once disinfection is finished, you can be prompted to restart your computer.
The following video offers a step-by-step tutorial on how to remove hijacker infections, adware software and other malware with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Stop Check My Email Tab redirect
In order to increase your security and protect your computer against new intrusive advertisements and malicious web pages, you need to use adblocker program that blocks an access to malicious advertisements and web sites. Moreover, the application can stop the display of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of web pages and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Please go to the following link to download AdGuard. Save it on your Windows desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After the downloading process is finished, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is complete, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your system, AdGuard will start automatically and stop undesired ads, block Check My Email Tab, as well as other harmful or misleading webpages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, that may be found on your desktop.
To sum up
Once you have done the few simple steps above, your computer should be clean from this hijacker and other malware. The Internet Explorer, Chrome, Edge and Firefox will no longer show annoying Check My Email Tab web-page on startup. Unfortunately, if the instructions does not help you, then you have caught a new browser hijacker, and then the best way – ask for help.
Please create a new question by using the “Ask Question” button in the Questions and Answers. Try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately. Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the Check My Email Tab .