Metovid.com pop up is a browser-based scam which uses social engineering methods to deceive users to accept push notifications via the web-browser. It will deliver the message stating that you should click ‘Allow’ button in order to verify that you are not a robot, enable Flash Player, connect to the Internet, confirm that you are 18+, watch a video, download a file, access the content of the website, and so on.
Once click on the ‘Allow’, the Metovid.com web-page gets your permission to send push notifications in form of pop-up advertisements in the right bottom corner of the screen. The push notifications will essentially be ads for ‘free’ online games, prize & lottery scams, suspicious web-browser add-ons, adult webpages, and adware software bundles as shown below.
In order to unsubscribe from Metovid.com browser notification spam open your internet browser’s settings and complete the Metovid.com removal guide below. Once you delete Metovid.com subscription, the browser notification spam will no longer appear on your screen.
How did you get infected with Metovid.com popups
Cyber security researchers have determined that users are redirected to Metovid.com by adware or from malicious advertisements. Adware software is something which you should be aware of even if you use Google Chrome or other modern browser. This is the name given to software that have been created to show unwanted advertisements and pop up deals onto your browser screen. The reason for adware software’s existence is to make money for its author.
In many cases, adware software gets on your system as a part of the installers from a free hosting and file sharing websites. So, install a free applications is a a good chance that you will find a bundled adware software. If you don’t know how to avoid it, then use a simple trick. During the setup, select the Custom or Advanced setup type. Next, click ‘Decline’ button and clear all checkboxes on offers that ask you to install bundled software. Moreover, please carefully read Term of use and User agreement before installing any programs or otherwise you can end up with another unwanted program on your computer such as this adware.
|Name||Metovid.com pop up|
|Type||browser notification spam ads, pop up advertisements, pop up virus, popups|
|Distribution||adwares, suspicious popup advertisements, PUPs, social engineering attack|
|Removal||Metovid.com removal guide|
Take a deep breath. Learn everything you should know about Metovid.com pop up advertisements removal, how to remove adware software from your internet browser and PC system. Find the best free adware software and malware removal utilities here!
How to remove Metovid.com popups from Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge
There are a few ways which can be used to delete Metovid.com ads. But, not all PUPs such as this adware software can be completely uninstalled utilizing only manual solutions. Most commonly you’re not able to remove any adware software utilizing standard Windows options. In order to delete Metovid.com advertisements you need complete a few manual steps and use reliable removal utilities. Most cyber threat analysts states that Zemana, MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) or HitmanPro utilities are a right choice. These free programs are able to locate and remove Metovid.com popups from your system and return your web browser settings to defaults.
To remove Metovid.com pop ups, perform the steps below:
- How to manually delete Metovid.com
- How to fully remove Metovid.com ads with free utilities
- Stop Metovid.com pop ups
- Finish words
How to manually delete Metovid.com
In this section of the post, we have posted the steps that will allow to delete Metovid.com ads manually. Although compared to removal tools, this way loses in time, but you don’t need to install anything on the PC. It will be enough for you to follow the detailed guidance with images. We tried to describe each step in detail, but if you realized that you might not be able to figure it out, or simply do not want to change the MS Windows and internet browser settings, then it’s better for you to use tools from trusted developers, which are listed below.
Delete PUPs through the Windows Control Panel
Some programs are free only because their setup file contains an adware software. This unwanted programs generates money for the authors when it is installed. More often this adware can be removed by simply uninstalling it from the ‘Uninstall a Program’ that is located in MS Windows control panel.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
Windows XP, Vista, 7
Next, press “Uninstall a program”
It will display a list of all programs installed on your PC system. Scroll through the all list, and delete any questionable and unknown applications. To quickly find the latest installed software, we recommend sort software by date in the Control panel.
Remove Metovid.com notifications from browsers
if you became a victim of cybercriminals and clicked on the “Allow” button, then your web browser was configured to display intrusive advertisements. To remove the ads, you need to delete the notification permission that you gave the Metovid.com website to send spam notifications.
- Just copy and paste the following text into the address bar of Chrome.
- Press Enter.
- Delete the Metovid.com site and other rogue notifications by clicking three vertical dots button next to each and selecting ‘Remove’.
- Open Chrome.
- In the top-right corner, find and tap the Google Chrome menu (three dots).
- In the menu tap ‘Settings’, scroll down to ‘Advanced’.
- Tap on ‘Site settings’ and then ‘Notifications’. In the opened window, find the Metovid.com URL, other rogue notifications and tap on them one-by-one.
- Tap the ‘Clean & Reset’ button and confirm.
- Click on ‘three bars’ button at the top right hand corner of the screen.
- Choose ‘Options’ and click on ‘Privacy & Security’ on the left hand side of the screen.
- Scroll down to ‘Permissions’ and then to ‘Settings’ next to ‘Notifications’.
- In the opened window, find Metovid.com, other rogue notifications, click the drop-down menu and choose ‘Block’.
- Save changes.
- In the top-right corner, click on the three dots to expand the Edge menu.
- Scroll down, locate and click ‘Settings’. In the left side select ‘Advanced’.
- In the ‘Website permissions’ section click ‘Manage permissions’.
- Right-click the Metovid.com site. Click ‘Delete’.
- Click the Gear button on the right upper corner of the Internet Explorer.
- Go to ‘Internet Options’ in the menu.
- Select the ‘Privacy’ tab and click ‘Settings below ‘Pop-up Blocker’ section.
- Select the Metovid.com domain and other suspicious URLs under and delete them one by one by clicking the ‘Remove’ button.
- Go to ‘Preferences’ in the Safari menu.
- Select the ‘Websites’ tab and then select ‘Notifications’ section on the left panel.
- Check for Metovid.com URL, other questionable sites and apply the ‘Deny’ option for each.
Remove Metovid.com popups from Google Chrome
If your Google Chrome internet browser is re-directed to unwanted Metovid.com web-page, it may be necessary to completely reset your browser program to its default settings.
- First, start the Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed plugins. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following tutorial: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, press “Advanced” link, which located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Google Chrome will show the reset settings prompt as on the image above.
- Confirm the web-browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Delete Metovid.com popup advertisements from Mozilla Firefox
If your Firefox web browser is redirected to Metovid.com without your permission or an unknown search provider opens results for your search, then it may be time to perform the web-browser reset. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be lost. This will not affect your history, passwords, bookmarks, and other saved data.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and click the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as displayed below.
A small menu will appear, click the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, click “Refresh Firefox” button as displayed on the screen below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to revert back your Firefox web browser settings to their default state.
Delete Metovid.com popup ads from Internet Explorer
In order to restore all browser home page, newtab page and search engine you need to reset the Internet Explorer to the state, which was when the MS Windows was installed on your PC system.
First, start the Microsoft Internet Explorer, then press ‘gear’ icon . It will open the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the internet browser, then press the “Internet Options” similar to the one below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The IE will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” prompt. Further, press the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, click the “Reset” button as shown on the image below.
When the procedure is complete, click “Close” button. Close the Internet Explorer and restart your computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your browser’s new tab page, search provider by default and startpage to default state.
How to fully remove Metovid.com ads with free utilities
Is your MS Windows personal computer affected with adware? Then do not worry, in the following guidance, we are sharing best malicious software removal utilities that has the ability to delete Metovid.com pop-up ads from the Edge, IE, Chrome and Firefox and your computer.
Use Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) to get rid of Metovid.com ads
Download Zemana Anti-Malware to remove Metovid.com pop-ups automatically from all of your internet browsers. This is a free program specially developed for malware removal. This tool can delete adware, hijacker from Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge and Microsoft Windows registry automatically.
Now you can install and run Zemana Anti-Malware to get rid of Metovid.com popups from your web browser by following the steps below:
Visit the following page to download Zemana setup file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup on your PC system. Save it on your Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
Start the setup file after it has been downloaded successfully and then follow the prompts to install this utility on your system.
During install you can change some settings, but we advise you do not make any changes to default settings.
When installation is finished, this malicious software removal utility will automatically start and update itself. You will see its main window like below.
Now press the “Scan” button to begin scanning your computer for the adware which causes undesired Metovid.com pop-up advertisements. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your PC. While the Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) application is scanning, you may see number of objects it has identified as threat.
When Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) is done scanning your personal computer, you’ll be displayed the list of all detected items on your PC system. When you’re ready, click “Next” button.
The Zemana will get rid of adware that cause pop-ups and move threats to the program’s quarantine. After finished, you can be prompted to restart your system to make the change take effect.
Use Hitman Pro to remove Metovid.com advertisements
HitmanPro is one of the most effective tools for uninstalling adware, PUPs and other malware. It can look for hidden adware in your system and remove all harmful folders and files related to adware software. Hitman Pro will help you to get rid of Metovid.com pop-up advertisements from your personal computer and IE, Chrome, Edge and Firefox. We strongly advise you to download this utility as the creators are working hard to make it better.
Please go to the following link to download Hitman Pro. Save it on your Windows desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
Download and run HitmanPro on your PC system. Once started, click “Next” button . Hitman Pro tool will begin scanning the whole PC system to find out adware responsible for Metovid.com pop-up advertisements. While the HitmanPro program is checking, you can see count of objects it has identified as threat..
When that process is finished, it will display the Scan Results.
Review the scan results and then press Next button.
It will display a dialog box, click the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial to remove all malicious software found.
Scan and clean your personal computer of adware with MalwareBytes Free
Trying to get rid of Metovid.com popups can become a battle of wills between the adware software infection and you. MalwareBytes Anti Malware can be a powerful ally, removing most of today’s adware software, malware and potentially unwanted apps with ease. Here’s how to use MalwareBytes Free will help you win.
First, visit the page linked below, then click the ‘Download’ button in order to download the latest version of MalwareBytes.
Category: Security tools
Update: July 25, 2019
Once the downloading process is complete, close all software and windows on your computer. Double-click the setup file called mb3-setup. If the “User Account Control” prompt pops up like below, click the “Yes” button.
It will open the “Setup wizard” that will help you install MalwareBytes on your computer. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
Once setup is finished successfully, press Finish button. MalwareBytes will automatically start and you can see its main screen as displayed in the following example.
Now click the “Scan Now” button to perform a system scan for the adware which cause undesired Metovid.com ads. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your system. When a threat is detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the scanning is finished.
Once the scan get finished, a list of all threats found is produced. Once you’ve selected what you want to remove from your system click “Quarantine Selected” button. The MalwareBytes Free will delete adware that causes multiple annoying pop ups and add threats to the Quarantine. After disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to reboot the personal computer.
We recommend you look at the following video, which completely explains the procedure of using the MalwareBytes to get rid of adware software, hijacker infection and other malicious software.
Stop Metovid.com pop ups
It is important to run ad-blocking applications such as AdGuard to protect your computer from malicious web-sites. Most security experts says that it’s okay to block ads. You should do so just to stay safe! And, of course, the AdGuard can to stop Metovid.com and other intrusive websites.
- AdGuard can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your Desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After downloading it, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the install is finished, press “Skip” to close the installation application and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your PC system, AdGuard will launch automatically and stop unwanted ads, block Metovid.com, as well as other malicious or misleading web-sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, that is located on your desktop.
Now your computer should be clean of the adware related to the Metovid.com popups. We suggest that you keep Zemana (to periodically scan your machine for new adwares and other malware) and AdGuard (to help you stop annoying pop up ads and malicious webpages). Moreover, to prevent any adware, please stay clear of unknown and third party programs, make sure that your antivirus application, turn on the option to detect potentially unwanted programs.
If you need more help with Metovid.com pop-ups related issues, go to here.