What is Astaroth Trojan? Experienced security professionals has determined that Astaroth Trojan is a malicious software. It is distributed through spam campaigns. This security threat can perform a number of malicious actions of a developers’s choice on your system.
Astaroth malware can modify MS Windows OS and web browsers settings, download and install other malware, ad-supported software and potentially unwanted software. Moreover, this virus can give a remote access to your computer and use your personal computer’s resources to generate crypto currency. It will make your PC system run very slow. On current date, the Astaroth Trojan virus continues to increase the number of machines which have been infected.
Moreover, the Astaroth malware has the ability to collect lots of marketing-type data about you. This confidential data, in the future, may be sold to third parties. What creates the risk of theft of your personal data
So, if you happen to encounter Astaroth malware, then be quick and take effort to delete malware as quickly as possible. Follow the steps below to delete Astaroth malware. Let us know how you managed by sending us your comments please.
Remove Astaroth malware (Virus removal guide)
In order to remove Astaroth Trojan , start by closing any applications and pop-ups that are open. If a pop up won’t close, then close your web-browser (Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Edge and Mozilla Firefox). If a application won’t close then please reboot your PC system. Next, follow the steps below.
To remove Astaroth Trojan, follow the steps below:
- Delete potentially unwanted apps using Windows Control Panel
- Use Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) to remove Astaroth malware
- Use Hitman Pro to remove Astaroth Trojan from the system
- Remove Astaroth virus with MalwareBytes Free
- Remove Astaroth malware from Google Chrome
- Remove Astaroth malware from Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Get rid of Astaroth malware from Mozilla Firefox
- How to stay safe online
- To sum up
Delete potentially unwanted apps using Windows Control Panel
Open the Windows Control Panel and click on “Uninstall a program”. Check the list of installed software. For the ones you do not know, run an Internet search to see if they are adware, browser hijacker or potentially unwanted software. If yes, delete them off. Even if they are just a software which you do not use, then removing them off will increase your computer start up time and speed dramatically.
Press Windows button , then click Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then press “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will display the Windows Control Panel like below.
Further, click “Uninstall a program”
It will display a list of all applications installed on your PC system. Scroll through the all list, and remove any suspicious and unknown apps.
Use Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) to remove Astaroth malware
Zemana Free is a tool which can remove ad supported software, potentially unwanted applications, browser hijacker infections and other malware from your personal computer easily and for free. Zemana Free is compatible with most antivirus software. It works under Windows (10 – XP, 32 and 64 bit) and uses minimum of system resources.
- Download Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) on your MS Windows Desktop from the following link.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your web-browser will open the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After the downloading process is finished, please close all programs and open windows on your computer. Next, start a file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will open the “Setup wizard” of Zemana Anti-Malware onto your personal computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana will run and show the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button to start checking your personal computer for the Astaroth malware related files, folders and registry keys. While the Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) application is checking, you can see number of objects it has identified as threat.
- After the scan is finished, Zemana will show you the results.
- Review the scan results and then click the “Next” button. The tool will delete Astaroth malware files, folders and registry keys and add items to the Quarantine. Once finished, you may be prompted to restart the system.
- Close the Zemana Anti Malware and continue with the next step.
Use Hitman Pro to remove Astaroth Trojan from the system
Hitman Pro is a portable tool which identifies and removes unwanted software like browser hijackers, adware, toolbars, other internet browser add-ons and other malicious software. It scans your computer for Astaroth Trojan and other kinds of potential threats like malicious software and produces a list of threats marked for removal. Hitman Pro will only remove those undesired software that you wish to be removed.
- Hitman Pro can be downloaded from the following link. Save it directly to your MS Windows Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- After the downloading process is done, double click the Hitman Pro icon. Once this tool is opened, press “Next” button . HitmanPro utility will start scanning the whole personal computer to detect Astaroth Trojan and other security threats. While the HitmanPro utility is scanning, you can see how many objects it has identified as being infected by malicious software.
- When the scan is complete, you’ll be opened the list of all detected threats on your machine. You may remove items (move to Quarantine) by simply click “Next” button. Now click the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to remove all malicious software found.
Remove Astaroth virus with MalwareBytes Free
We suggest using the MalwareBytes Free. You can download and install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to detect and delete Astaroth virus from your machine. When installed and updated, this free malicious software remover automatically finds and removes all threats exist on the computer.
Visit the page linked below to download the latest version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) for Microsoft Windows. Save it directly to your Windows Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
Once the download is complete, close all programs and windows on your machine. Double-click the install file named mb3-setup. If the “User Account Control” dialog box pops up as displayed below, click the “Yes” button.
It will open the “Setup wizard” that will help you install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) on your PC system. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
Once installation is finished successfully, click Finish button. MalwareBytes will automatically start and you can see its main screen as displayed in the figure below.
Now click the “Scan Now” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the Astaroth virus and other kinds of potential threats. A system scan may take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your machine. While the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) utility is checking, you can see count of objects it has identified as being affected by malware.
As the scanning ends, you can check all items found on your system. Review the scan results and then click “Quarantine Selected” button. The MalwareBytes Free will remove Astaroth virus and other malware and move items to the program’s quarantine. After disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to reboot the PC system.
We suggest you look at the following video, which completely explains the process of using the MalwareBytes Free to get rid of adware, browser hijacker infection and other malicious software.
Remove Astaroth malware from Google Chrome
In order to be sure that there is nothing left behind, we suggest you to reset Google Chrome browser. It’ll return Chrome settings to defaults.
Open the Chrome menu by clicking on the button in the form of three horizontal dotes (). It will display the drop-down menu. Select More Tools, then click Extensions.
Carefully browse through the list of installed extensions. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following steps: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy otherwise, just go to the step below.
Open the Chrome main menu again, click to “Settings” option.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “Advanced” link. Now scroll down until the Reset settings section is visible, like below and click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
Confirm your action, click the “Reset” button.
Remove Astaroth malware from Microsoft Internet Explorer
The Microsoft Internet Explorer reset is great if your web-browser is infected by Astaroth Trojan or you have unwanted plugins or toolbars on your browser, which installed by a malware.
First, run the Internet Explorer, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will show the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the internet browser, then click the “Internet Options” as shown in the figure below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The IE will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” dialog box. Further, press the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, click the “Reset” button like below.
When the procedure is finished, press “Close” button. Close the Internet Explorer and restart your PC system for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your internet browser’s search provider by default, startpage and newtab to default state.
Get rid of Astaroth malware from Mozilla Firefox
If the Mozilla Firefox browser program is affected by the Astaroth malware, then resetting its settings can help. The Reset feature is available on all modern version of Mozilla Firefox. A reset can fix many issues by restoring Firefox settings to their original state. It will keep your personal information like browsing history, bookmarks, passwords and web form auto-fill data.
First, start the Firefox and click button. It will show the drop-down menu on the right-part of the web-browser. Further, press the Help button () as on the image below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the browser adress bar and press Enter. It will show the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown in the following example. In the upper-right corner of this screen, click the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will show the confirmation dialog box. Further, press the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Mozilla Firefox will start a process to fix your problems that caused by the Astaroth malware. When, it is finished, click the “Finish” button.
How to stay safe online
Run an ad blocker tool such as AdGuard will protect you from malicious ads and content. Moreover, you may find that the AdGuard have an option to protect your privacy and block phishing and spam web pages. Additionally, ad blocking applications will help you to avoid intrusive popups and unverified links that also a good way to stay safe online.
- Installing the AdGuard is simple. First you’ll need to download AdGuard on your PC system by clicking on the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- Once the download is complete, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- When the installation is finished, click “Skip” to close the setup program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you start your PC system, AdGuard will start automatically and stop undesired advertisements, block harmful or misleading web-sites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
To sum up
Now your computer should be clean of the Astaroth malware. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted popups and unwanted harmful webpages) and Zemana AntiMalware (to periodically scan your computer for new malicious software). Probably you are running an older version of Java or Adobe Flash Player. This can be a security risk, so download and install the latest version right now.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove Astaroth virus from your machine, then ask for help here here.