The Cookies On-Off is a malicious browser’s extension (add-on). The extension will alter your browser’s start page, new tab page and search provider by default or automatically display a large number of annoying pop up ads within web browser screen. If you would like to free your personal computer of this malicious addon and thereby get rid of unwanted ads and are unable to do so, you can follow the tutorial below to detect and get rid of this malicious add on and any other malware for free.
It’s not a good idea to have an unwanted program like the harmful Cookies On-Off add on on your browser. The reason for this is simple, it doing things you do not know about. The malicious extension can also be used to gather a wide variety of user data that can be later transferred to third parties. You don’t know if your home address, account names and passwords are safe. And of course you completely do not know what will happen when you click on any pop up advertisements.
Thus, it is clear that the presence of this malicious extension on your system is not desirable, and you need to clean up your system ASAP. Follow the few simple steps below in order to remove Cookies On-Off add-on from your Google Chrome browser.
Remove Cookies On-Off extension
There are a few solutions that can be used to remove Cookies On-Off . But, not all malware such as this extension can be completely removed utilizing only manual ways. In many cases you are not able to uninstall any malicious extension using standard Microsoft Windows options. In order to delete Cookies On-Off virus you need complete a few manual steps and use reliable removal utilities. Most IT security experts states that Zemana Anti-malware, Malwarebytes or AdwCleaner tools are a right choice. These free applications are able to scan for and remove Cookies On-Off plugin from your computer and revert back your browser settings to defaults.
Remove Cookies On-Off without any utilities
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually delete Cookies On-Off addon from the Google Chrome and other web browsers.
Deleting the Cookies On-Off, check the list of installed applications first
First of all, check the list of installed applications on your machine and uninstall all unknown and recently installed software. If you see an unknown program with incorrect spelling or varying capital letters, it have most likely been installed by malware and you should clean it off first with malicious software removal utility such as Zemana Anti-malware.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then click Windows button, next click Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then click “Start” button and click “Control Panel”.
- It will show the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, press “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will show a list of all applications installed on the computer.
- Scroll through the all list, and delete suspicious and unknown software. To quickly find the latest installed software, we recommend sort programs by date.
See more details in the video guide below.
Remove Cookies On-Off harmful addon from Google Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings is a simple way to remove the plugin, harmful and adware extensions, as well as to recover the web browser’s home page, newtab and search provider by default that have been modified by Cookies On-Off virus that causes annoying ads.
- First run the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will show the Google Chrome main menu. Select “Settings” option.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Show advanced settings” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset settings” button.
- The Google Chrome will display the reset profile settings page as shown on the screen above.
- Next press the “Reset” button.
- Once this task is finished, your browser’s startpage, newtab page and search engine by default will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Delete unwanted Scheduled Tasks
Once installed, the virus can add a task in to the Windows Task Scheduler Library. Due to this, every time when you launch your PC, it will open an intrusive web-page. So, you need to check the Task Scheduler Library and delete all harmful tasks that have been created by adware.
Press Windows and R keys on the keyboard simultaneously. This displays a dialog box that titled as Run. In the text field, type “taskschd.msc” (without the quotes) and click OK. Task Scheduler window opens. In the left-hand side, click “Task Scheduler Library”, as shown on the image below.
In the middle part you will see a list of installed tasks. Please choose the first task, its properties will be open just below automatically. Next, click the Actions tab. Pay attention to that it launches on your system. Found something like “explorer.exe http://site.address” or “chrome.exe http://site.address”, then delete this harmful task. If you are not sure that executes the task, check it through a search engine. If it’s a component of the adware, then this task also should be removed.
Having defined the task that you want to remove, then click on it with the right mouse button and select Delete as shown on the image below.
Repeat this step, if you have found a few tasks that have been created by malicious program. Once is finished, close the Task Scheduler window.
How to remove Cookies On-Off virus with free programs
If your PC system is still infected with Cookies On-Off virus that causes intrusive advertisements, then the best method of detection and removal is to use an anti-malware scan on the PC. Download free malicious software removal tools below and run a full system scan. It will allow you delete all components of the add on from hardisk and Windows registry.
How to get rid of Cookies On-Off virus with Zemana Anti-malware
You can remove Cookies On-Off automatically with a help of Zemana Anti-malware. We suggest this malicious software removal utility because it can easily remove browser hijackers, PUPs, adware with all their components such as folders, files and registry entries.
Now you can install and run Zemana Anti-Malware to remove Cookies On-Off from your browser by following the steps below:
Click the link below to download Zemana Anti-Malware installer called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup on your PC.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
Start the setup file after it has been downloaded successfully and then follow the prompts to install this utility on your PC system.
During installation you can change certain settings, but we suggest you don’t make any changes to default settings.
When installation is complete, this malicious software removal utility will automatically launch and update itself. You will see its main window as on the image below.
Now click the “Scan” button to start scanning your system for the Cookies On-Off virus that causes internet browsers to show annoying advertisements. This task may take some time, so please be patient. While the utility is scanning, you can see how many objects and files has already scanned.
Once it has finished scanning your computer, it will show you the results. Review the report and then click “Next” button.
The Zemana Anti Malware will remove malware and adware and add threats to the Quarantine. After the clean-up is finished, you can be prompted to restart your PC system to make the change take effect.
Delete Cookies On-Off with Malwarebytes
You can remove Cookies On-Off plugin automatically with a help of Malwarebytes Free. We suggest this free malware removal utility because it can easily remove hijackers, adware, potentially unwanted applications and toolbars with all their components such as files, folders and registry entries.
- Download Malwarebytes (MBAM) by clicking on the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: July 25, 2019
- Once downloading is complete, close all software and windows on your PC system. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once install is done, press the “Scan Now” button for scanning your PC for the Cookies On-Off addon that cause annoying pop up advertisements to appear. While the utility is scanning, you can see how many objects and files has already scanned.
- Once it completes the scan, a list of all threats found is produced. When you are ready, click “Quarantine Selected”. When that process is finished, you can be prompted to reboot your PC system.
The following video offers a instructions on how to get rid of browser hijackers, ad-supported software and other malware with Malwarebytes.
If the problem with Cookies On-Off is still remained
AdwCleaner is a free removal tool which can check your PC for a wide range of security threats such as malicious software, malicious extensions, potentially unwanted software as well as Cookies On-Off virus which reroutes your browser to intrusive ad web-sites. It will perform a deep scan of your system including hard drives and MS Windows registry. When a malware is found, it will help you to delete all found threats from your computer with a simple click.
- Download AdwCleaner from the following link.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: November 26, 2019
- Select the file location as Desktop, and then press Save.
- When the download is finished, start the AdwCleaner, double-click the adwcleaner_xxx.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the AdwCleaner window, click the “Scan” to perform a system scan with this tool for the Cookies On-Off harmful extension which reroutes your browser to unwanted ad sites. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your system. When a threat is detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the scanning is complete.
- Once it has finished scanning your PC, it’ll open a scan report. When you’re ready, click “Clean”. If the AdwCleaner will ask you to restart your machine, click “OK”.
The few simple steps shown in detail in the following video.
Use AdBlocker to stop ads and stay safe online
It’s important to run ad blocking applications like AdGuard to protect your machine from malicious sites. Most security experts says that it’s okay to stop ads. You should do so just to stay safe! And, of course, the AdGuard can to block ads and other undesired web-sites.
Installing the AdGuard adblocker program is simple. First you will need to download AdGuard from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
Once the downloading process is finished, double-click the downloaded file to launch it. The “Setup Wizard” window will show up on the computer screen as shown below.
Follow the prompts. AdGuard will then be installed and an icon will be placed on your desktop. A window will show up asking you to confirm that you want to see a quick instructions as shown in the figure below.
Press “Skip” button to close the window and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick guide that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
Each time, when you start your personal computer, AdGuard will start automatically and stop ads, as well as other harmful or misleading pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which is located on your desktop.
Method of Cookies On-Off intrusion into your PC
Many virus are included in the free programs setup file. In many cases, a user have a chance to disable all included “offers”, but some setup files are designed to confuse the average users, in order to trick them into installing the Cookies On-Off malicious extension that designed to reroute your browser to various ad sites. Anyway, easier to prevent the virus rather than clean up your personal computer after one. So, keep the internet browser updated (turn on automatic updates), use a good antivirus applications, double check a free programs before you start it (do a google search, scan a downloaded file with VirusTotal), avoid harmful and unknown web sites.
After completing the tutorial shown above, your browser should be clean from malware and Cookies On-Off plugin that causes tons of unwanted ads. The Google Chrome will no longer redirect you to various undesired web pages. Unfortunately, if the steps does not help you, then you have caught a new ‘ad supported’ software, and then the best way – ask for help in our Spyware/Malware removal forum.