The appearance of Microcosm New Tab startpage in your web-browser means that your computer has become a victim of browser hijacker, which makes changes to web-browsers settings by modifying the startpage, new tab and search engine by default. So, if you find that when you open your browser, it displays this annoying site, then you do not need to wait . Complete the step by step tutorial below and remove Microcosm New Tab as soon as possible.
The Microcosm New Tab hijacker usually affects only the Chrome, Internet Explorer, FF and Edge. However, possible situations, when any other internet browsers will be affected too. The browser hijacker infection will perform a scan of the machine for web browser shortcuts and change them without your permission. When it infects the internet browser shortcuts, it’ll add the argument such as ‘http://site.address’ into Target property. So, each time you launch the internet browser, you will see the Microcosm New Tab annoying web-page.
Table of contents
- What is Microcosm New Tab
- Microcosm New Tab home page removal steps
- How to remove Microcosm New Tab home page without any software
- Removing the Microcosm New Tab, check the list of installed programs first
- Fix infected web-browsers shortcuts to remove Microcosm New Tab home page
- Remove Microcosm New Tab from Firefox by resetting browser settings
- Remove Microcosm New Tab startpage from Google Chrome
- Remove Microcosm New Tab redirect from Internet Explorer
- How to remove Microcosm New Tab homepage with free software
- How to remove Microcosm New Tab home page without any software
- Stop Microcosm New Tab home page and other annoying web-sites
- Don’t know how your web-browser has been hijacked by Microcosm New Tab browser hijacker?
- Finish words
Except that the Microcosm New Tab modifies web-browser’s home page, it also changes your search provider, which leads to the fact that use of the web browser’s search becomes uncomfortable. The reason for this is that the search results will consist of a ton of advertisements, links to unwanted and ad web-sites and only the remaining part is search results for your query from well-known search engines such as Google or Bing.
The Microcosm New Tab hijacker is not a virus, but the virus behaves similarly. As a rootkit hides in the system, alters internet browsers settings, and blocks them from changing. Also this hijacker may install additional web-browser addons, extensions and modules that will display advertisements and popups. And finally, the Microcosm New Tab hijacker infection may gather personal information about you like what web-pages you are opening, what you are looking for the World Wide Web and so on. This information, in the future, can be transferred to third parties.
We suggest you to remove Microcosm New Tab redirect and clean your computer of hijacker as quickly as possible, until the presence of the browser hijacker has not led to even worse consequences. Use the few simple steps below that will assist you to completely delete Microcosm New Tab home page, using only the built-in Windows features and a few of specialized free utilities.
Microcosm New Tab startpage removal steps
In the few simple steps below we will have a look at the hijacker infection and how to get rid of Microcosm New Tab from Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Internet Explorer web-browsers for Microsoft Windows OS, natively or by using a few free removal utilities and programs.
How to delete Microcosm New Tab without any software
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually delete Microcosm New Tab start page from the Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, IE and MS Edge.
Removing the Microcosm New Tab, check the list of installed programs first
The best way to begin the machine cleanup is to uninstall unknown and suspicious programs. Using the Microsoft Windows Control Panel you can do this quickly and easily. This step, in spite of its simplicity, should not be ignored, because the removing of unneeded applications can clean up the Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Microsoft Edge from popup ads hijackers and so on.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
First, click the Windows button , then press Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
First, click “Start” and select “Control Panel”.
It will display the Windows Control Panel as shown in the figure below.
Next, click “Uninstall a program”
It will display a list of all software installed on your system. Scroll through the all list, and remove any suspicious and unknown software. To quickly find the latest installed software, we recommend sort programs by date in the Control panel.
Fix infected web-browsers shortcuts to remove Microcosm New Tab startpage
Once installed, this hijacker may add an argument such as “http://site.address” into the Target property of the desktop shortcut for the Chrome, IE, Firefox and MS Edge. Due to this, every time you open the web-browser, it will show the annoying homepage.
Right click to a desktop shortcut for your web browser. Choose the “Properties” option. It will open the Properties window. Select the “Shortcut” tab here, after that, look at the “Target” field. The hijacker infection can rewrite it. If you are seeing something like “…exe http://site.address” then you need to remove “http…” and leave only, depending on the web browser you are using:
- Google Chrome: chrome.exe
- Opera: opera.exe
- Firefox: firefox.exe
- Internet Explorer: iexplore.exe
Look at the example as shown on the image below.
Once is complete, click the “OK” button to save the changes. Please repeat this step for internet browser shortcuts which redirects to an unwanted web-pages. When you have completed, go to next step.
Remove Microcosm New Tab from Firefox by resetting browser settings
If the Mozilla Firefox web browser program is hijacked, then resetting its settings can help. The Reset feature is available on all modern version of FF. A reset can fix many issues by restoring Firefox settings such as home page, newtab page and search engine by default to its default state. It will save your personal information like saved passwords, bookmarks, and open tabs.
First, run the Mozilla Firefox. Next, press the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will display the drop-down menu. Next, click the Help button ().
In the Help menu click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button as shown in the figure below.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Remove Microcosm New Tab homepage from Google Chrome
Like other modern browsers, the Chrome has the ability to reset the settings to their default values and thereby restore the newtab page, startpage and search engine by default that have been modified by the Microcosm New Tab hijacker.
First open the Chrome. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will display the main menu. Further, click the option named “Settings”. Another way to show the Google Chrome’s settings – type chrome://settings in the web browser adress bar and press Enter.
The internet browser will display the settings screen. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the “Show advanced settings” link. Now scroll down until the “Reset settings” section is visible, as shown in the figure below and click the “Reset settings” button.
The Google Chrome will display the confirmation dialog box. You need to confirm your action, click the “Reset” button. The browser will run the process of cleaning. When it is done, the web-browser’s settings including homepage, newtab and search engine by default back to the values that have been when the Google Chrome was first installed on your system.
Remove Microcosm New Tab redirect from Internet Explorer
If you find that Microsoft Internet Explorer web-browser settings like start page, newtab page and default search provider having been hijacked, then you may revert back your settings, via the reset internet browser procedure.
First, launch the IE, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will display the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the web browser, then click the “Internet Options” as shown below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The IE will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” dialog box. Further, click the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, click the “Reset” button as shown on the image below.
Once the process is finished, click “Close” button. Close the Internet Explorer and reboot your computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your internet browser’s start page, newtab and default search provider to default state.
How to remove Microcosm New Tab startpage with free software
Manual removal is not always as effective as you might think. Often, even the most experienced users can not completely get rid of hijacker from the infected computer. So, we recommend to check your computer for any remaining malicious components with free hijacker infection removal applications below.
Get rid of Microcosm New Tab home page with Zemana Anti-malware
We recommend using the Zemana Anti-malware. You can download and install Zemana Anti-malware to scan for and delete Microcosm New Tab search from your machine. When installed and updated, the malware remover will automatically scan and detect all threats present on the system.
Download Zemana anti malware on your personal computer from the link below. Save it on your desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
After downloading is finished, close all windows on your computer. Further, launch the file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. If the “User Account Control” dialog box pops up as shown on the screen below, click the “Yes” button.
It will show the “Setup wizard” which will allow you install Zemana anti-malware on the PC. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
Once setup is finished successfully, Zemana anti-malware will automatically run and you can see its main window as shown on the screen below.
Next, press the “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the hijacker infection . Depending on your personal computer, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the tool is checking, you can see how many objects and files has already scanned.
Once the checking is complete, a list of all items found is produced. In order to remove all items, simply press “Next” button.
The Zemana anti-malware will start removing Microcosm New Tab hijacker infection and other security threats. Once disinfection is done, you can be prompted to reboot your computer.
Delete Microcosm New Tab search with Malwarebytes
Get rid of Microcosm New Tab hijacker manually is difficult and often the browser hijacker infection is not completely removed. Therefore, we suggest you to use the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your machine. Moreover, the free application will allow you to delete malicious software, PUPs, toolbars and adware (sometimes called ‘ad-supported’ software) that your system may be infected too.
Download Malwarebytes Free from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
Once the download is finished, run it and follow the prompts. Once installed, the Malwarebytes will try to update itself and when this procedure is finished, press the “Scan Now” button . This will start scanning the whole personal computer to find out Microcosm New Tab browser hijacker and internet browser’s malicious extensions. A scan may take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the count of files on your computer and the speed of your personal computer. While the utility is scanning, you can see number of objects it has identified as being infected by malicious software. Next, you need to press “Quarantine Selected” button.
The Malwarebytes is a free program that you can use to get rid of all detected folders, files, services, registry entries and so on. To learn more about this malware removal tool, we recommend you to read and follow the few simple steps or the video guide below.
Scan your PC and get rid of Microcosm New Tab with AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner is a free removal utility that can be downloaded and use to get rid of browser hijackers, adware (also known as ‘ad-supported’ software), malware, potentially unwanted programs, toolbars and other threats from your personal computer. You may run this tool to scan for threats even if you have an antivirus or any other security program.
- Download AdwCleaner by clicking on the following link.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: October 9, 2020
- Select the file location as Desktop, and then click Save.
- When downloading is done, run the AdwCleaner, double-click the adwcleaner_xxx.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the AdwCleaner window, press the “Scan” to perform a system scan for the Microcosm New Tab hijacker and other malware and adware. This process can take quite a while, so please be patient. When a threat is found, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the scanning is done.
- As the scanning ends, the results are displayed in the scan report. Review the report and then press “Clean”. If the AdwCleaner will ask you to restart your computer, press “OK”.
The step by step instructions shown in detail in the following video.
Stop Microcosm New Tab homepage and other annoying web-sites
Use an ad-blocking tool like AdGuard will protect you from malicious ads and content. Moreover, you may find that the AdGuard have an option to protect your privacy and block phishing and spam sites. Additionally, ad-blocking software will help you to avoid unwanted pop-ups and unverified links that also a good way to stay safe online.
- Download AdGuard program from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After downloading is finished, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is done, click “Skip” to close the install application and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your PC system, AdGuard will run automatically and block advertisements, sites such Microcosm New Tab, as well as other malicious or misleading web pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, which can be found on your desktop.
Don’t know how your web-browser has been hijacked by Microcosm New Tab browser hijacker?
Once you have finished the tutorial above, your personal computer should be clean from malware and browser hijackers. The FF, Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Edge will no longer display Microcosm New Tab unwanted homepage on startup. Unfortunately, if the guide does not help you, then you have caught a new browser hijacker, and then the best way – ask for help.
- Download HijackThis by clicking on the link below and save it to your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon. Next click “Do a system scan only” button.
- As the scanning ends, the scan button will read “Save log”, press it. Save this log to your desktop.
- Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the annoying Microcosm New Tab .