What is Key Web?
The cyber threat analysts have determined that Key Web is a PUP (potentially unwanted program) belonging to the family of Browser hijackers. Browser hijacker is a part of malicious software. It have various methods of earning by displaying ads forcibly to its victims. Key Web can display unwanted ads, modify the victim’s browser search engine and home page, or redirect the victim’s web-browser to unrequested web-pages. Below we are discussing solutions which are very effective in uninstalling browser hijackers. The guide will also assist you to remove Key Web search redirect from your browser.
When your computer is infected with the Key Web browser hijacker you’ll be forced to use its own search provider. It could seem not to be dangerous, but you still should be very careful, since it may display unwanted and malicious advertisements developed to trick you into buying certain questionable applications or products, provide search results that may redirect your browser to some deceptive, misleading or harmful web pages. We recommend that you use only the reliable search provider such as Google, Yahoo or Bing.
And finally, the Key Web hijacker can collect a wide variety of sensitive info about you such as what web-sites you are opening, what you are looking for the Internet and so on. This information, in the future, can be transferred to third parties.
How can a browser hijacker get on your PC system
|Name||Key Web, “Key Web search”|
|Type||PUP, browser hijacker, redirect virus, startpage hijacker, search provider hijacker|
|Affected Browser Settings||start page, search engine, new tab page URL|
|Distribution||free applications setup files, fake update tools, malicious pop up ads|
|Symptoms||You experience lots of of unwanted pop up ads. When you go to a web page, you’re automatically redirected to another web page that you do not intend to visit. Your computer starts automatically installing unwanted programs. An unwanted web browser toolbar appears in your internet browser. Your internet browser search engine has modified without your permission.|
|Removal||Key Web removal guide|
How to remove Key Web hijacker
We are presenting a few methods to delete Key Web from the Internet Explorer, MS Edge, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome using only internal Windows functions. Most of browser hijackers and PUPs can be removed through these processes. If these steps does not help to remove the browser hijacker, then it is better to run free malware removal tools linked below.
To remove Key Web, complete the steps below:
- How to manually get rid of Key Web
- Automatic Removal of Key Web
- How to stop Key Web redirect
How to manually get rid of Key Web
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually remove the browser hijacker from Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Chrome and IE.
Delete potentially unwanted apps using Microsoft Windows Control Panel
In order to remove Key Web, first thing you need to do is to delete unknown and questionable programs from your PC using Windows control panel. When deleting this hijacker, check the list of installed software and try to find suspicious applications and remove them all. Pay special attention to newly added programs, as it’s most likely that the Key Web browser hijacker сame along with it.
Make sure you have closed all internet browsers and other software. Next, delete any unwanted and suspicious applications from your Control panel.
Windows 10, 8.1, 8
Now, click the Windows button, type “Control panel” in search and press Enter. Select “Programs and Features”, then “Uninstall a program”.
Look around the entire list of software installed on your PC system. Most likely, one of them is the Key Web hijacker. Choose the questionable program or the program that name is not familiar to you and remove it.
Windows Vista, 7
From the “Start” menu in Windows, select “Control Panel”. Under the “Programs” icon, choose “Uninstall a program”.
Choose the suspicious or any unknown applications, then click “Uninstall/Change” button to remove this undesired application from your device.
Click the “Start” button, select “Control Panel” option. Click on “Add/Remove Programs”.
Choose an unwanted application, then press “Change/Remove” button. Follow the prompts.
Remove Key Web hijacker from internet browsers
Unwanted Key Web search redirects or other symptoms of the browser hijacker in your web-browser is a good reason to find and get rid of malicious addons. This is an easy method to restore web-browsers settings and not lose any important information.
|Google Chrome||Mozilla Firefox|
You can also try to get rid of Key Web hijacker by reset Chrome settings.
If you are still experiencing problems with Key Web browser hijacker removal, you need to reset Firefox browser.
Another way to remove Key Web hijacker from IE is reset IE settings.
Automatic Removal of Key Web
Use malware removal tools to remove Key Web automatically. The free programs tools specially created for hijacker, adware and other potentially unwanted software removal. These tools can get rid of most of browser hijacker from Edge, Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. Moreover, it can remove all components of Key Web from Windows registry and system drives.
Use Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) to remove Key Web hijacker
Zemana is a free application for Windows operating system to search for and delete PUPs, adware, harmful web-browser plugins, browser toolbars, and other unwanted software like Key Web hijacker.
- Please go to the link below to download the latest version of Zemana Free for Windows. Save it on your MS Windows desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- Once you have downloaded the installation file, make sure to double click on the Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. This would start the Zemana installation on your computer.
- Select installation language and click ‘OK’ button.
- On the next screen ‘Setup Wizard’ simply click the ‘Next’ button and follow the prompts.
- Finally, once the installation is complete, Zemana Free will run automatically. Else, if doesn’t then double-click on the Zemana Anti Malware icon on your desktop.
- Now that you have successfully install Zemana Free, let’s see How to use Zemana Free to delete Key Web hijacker from your computer.
- After you have started the Zemana Anti Malware, you’ll see a window such as the one below, just press ‘Scan’ button to scan for browser hijacker.
- Now pay attention to the screen while Zemana Free scans your computer.
- After Zemana Free has finished scanning, you can check all threats found on your computer. All found items will be marked. You can delete them all by simply press ‘Next’ button.
- Zemana Anti-Malware may require a restart computer in order to complete the Key Web browser hijacker removal procedure.
- If you want to permanently remove hijacker from your computer, then press ‘Quarantine’ icon, select all malicious software, adware, potentially unwanted applications and other threats and press Delete.
- Reboot your computer to complete the browser hijacker removal process.
Use Hitman Pro to remove Key Web from the personal computer
If Zemana cannot get rid of this browser hijacker, then we recommends to run the HitmanPro. The Hitman Pro is a free powerful, professional removal utility for malware, adware software, PUPs, toolbars as well as Key Web hijacker. It completely deletes all traces and remnants of the infection.
Hitman Pro can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your MS Windows desktop or in any other place.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
Download and run HitmanPro on your PC system. Once started, click “Next” button for checking your computer for the Key Web browser hijacker. This procedure can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the Hitman Pro program is checking, you can see how many objects it has identified as threat..
After the scan is finished, Hitman Pro will display a list of all threats detected by the scan.
When you are ready, click Next button.
It will show a prompt, press the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to delete all malicious software found.
Use MalwareBytes to remove Key Web hijacker
If you’re still having problems with the Key Web browser hijacker — or just wish to check your device occasionally for hijacker and other malicious software — download MalwareBytes. It’s free for home use, and searches for and removes various unwanted applications that attacks your computer or degrades PC system performance. MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) can remove adware, PUPs as well as malware, including ransomware and trojans.
- Visit the following page to download the latest version of MalwareBytes for MS Windows. Save it on your Windows desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- Once the download is done, close all software and windows on your PC. Open a folder in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named MBsetup.
- Choose “Personal computer” option and click Install button. Follow the prompts.
- Once installation is done, click the “Scan” button to begin checking your PC for the Key Web browser hijacker. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your PC and the speed of your computer. While the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is checking, you may see how many objects it has identified either as being malicious software.
- When that process is finished, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will open a screen which contains a list of malware that has been found. Make sure all threats have ‘checkmark’ and press “Quarantine”. Once disinfection is complete, you can be prompted to reboot your PC.
The following video offers a guide on how to delete hijackers, adware and other malware with MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM).
How to stop Key Web redirect
AdGuard is a very good ad blocking program for Firefox, IE, Chrome and Edge, with active user support. It does a great job by removing certain types of intrusive ads, popunders, pop ups, annoying newtab pages, and even full page advertisements and web site overlay layers. Of course, the AdGuard can block the Key Web redirects automatically or by using a custom filter rule.
Download AdGuard from the link below.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
When the downloading process is finished, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen as shown in the figure below.
Follow the prompts. When the installation is complete, you will see a window as shown in the following example.
You can click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial which will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your PC system, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted ads, block Key Web redirects, as well as other harmful or misleading web-sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that is located on your desktop.
To sum up
Once you have removed the hijacker using this step-by-step guide, Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer and Chrome will no longer redirect your browser tpo the Key Web site. Unfortunately, if the steps does not help you, then you have caught a new hijacker, and then the best way – ask for help.
Please create a new question by using the “Ask Question” button in the Questions and Answers. Try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately. Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the Key Web browser hijacker.