What is Search.windowconfig.com?
According to cyber security specialists, Search.windowconfig.com is a fake search engine that is promoted by potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) belonging to the group of Browser hijackers. Browser hijacker is a kind of software that is designed to change the browser settings without the knowledge or permission of the computer user, and it usually redirects the affected system’s web-browser to certain advertisement-related websites. A browser hijacker initiates numerous popups, redirects user web searches to its own web page, installs multiple toolbars on the web-browser, alters the default internet browser search engine or startpage and generates multiple pop-up ads. If your computer has been affected by a browser hijacker you may need to follow manual steps or use a malware removal tool to revert changes made to your web browsers.
If your computer has been affected with Search.windowconfig.com hijacker you will be forced to use its own search engine. It could seem not to be dangerous, but you still should be very careful, since it may display unwanted and harmful ads designed to force you into buying certain questionable programs or products, provide search results that may redirect your internet browser to certain deceptive, misleading or harmful web sites. We suggest that you use only the reliable search engine like Google, Yahoo or Bing.
As well as unwanted browser redirects to Search.windowconfig.com, the browser hijacker may gather your Web surfing activity by saving IP addresses, websites visited, cookie information, URLs visited, internet browser version and type and Internet Service Provider (ISP). Such kind of behavior can lead to serious security problems or personal info theft. This is another reason why the browser hijacker should be removed immediately.
Browser hijackers are usually written in ways common to malicious software, spyware and adware. In order to get rid of browser hijacker and thereby delete Search.windowconfig.com, you will need use the following steps or use free removal tool listed below.
How can a browser hijacker get on your PC
Browser hijackers and PUPs spread bundled with many freeware and commercial software. PUPs can be installed in background without user consent, but usually it’s introduced to a user when a downloaded program are installed. So, read term of use and user agreement very carefully before installing any software or otherwise you can end up with another browser hijacker on your machine.
|Type||search engine hijacker, PUP, browser hijacker, homepage hijacker, redirect virus|
|Affected Browser Settings||new tab page URL, search provider, start page|
|Distribution||free software installers, malicious pop-up ads, fake update tools|
|Symptoms||You experience a large number of of unwanted pop up advertisements. Your internet browser is redirected to webpages you did not want. There is an unexpected application in the ‘Uninstall a program’ section of your Control Panel. An unwanted web-browser toolbar appears in your internet browser. Your web-browser home page or search engine keeps changing or is not set to Google anymor.|
|Removal||Search.windowconfig.com removal guide|
How to remove Search.windowconfig.com from Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge
There are a few methods which can be used to get rid of Search.windowconfig.com redirects. But, not all potentially unwanted programs such as this hijacker can be completely removed using only manual ways. In most cases you are not able to remove any browser hijacker utilizing standard Windows features. In order to remove the browser hijacker you need complete a few manual steps and use free malware removal tools. Most IT security researchers states that Zemana Anti Malware, MalwareBytes Free or Hitman Pro tools are a right choice. These free tools are able to search for and get rid of Search.windowconfig.com from your computer and revert back your browser settings to defaults.
To remove Search.windowconfig.com, execute the steps below:
- How to manually get rid of Search.windowconfig.com
- Automatic Removal of Search.windowconfig.com
- How to stop Search.windowconfig.com redirect
How to manually get rid of Search.windowconfig.com
Manually deleting the Search.windowconfig.com redirects is also possible, although this approach takes time and technical prowess. You can sometimes find browser hijacker in your computer’s list of installed programs and uninstall it as you would any other unwanted application.
Delete potentially unwanted applications through the Windows Control Panel
First, you should try to identify and uninstall the program that causes the appearance of annoying ads or web browser redirect, using the ‘Uninstall a program’ which is located in the ‘Control panel’.
Windows 10, 8.1, 8
Click the MS Windows logo, and then click Search . Type ‘Control panel’and press Enter as on the image below.
Once the ‘Control Panel’ opens, click the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as displayed below.
Windows 7, Vista, XP
Open Start menu and select the ‘Control Panel’ at right as on the image below.
Then go to ‘Add/Remove Programs’ or ‘Uninstall a program’ (Windows 7 or Vista) as on the image below.
Carefully browse through the list of installed software and remove all dubious and unknown applications. We recommend to click ‘Installed programs’ and even sorts all installed programs by date. When you have found anything questionable that may be the hijacker associated with Search.windowconfig.com or other potentially unwanted program (PUP), then choose it and click ‘Uninstall’ in the upper part of the window. If the questionable program blocked from removal, then run Revo Uninstaller Freeware to completely get rid of it from your PC.
Remove Search.windowconfig.com search from web browsers
If you have ‘Search.windowconfig.com redirect’ removal problem, then remove unwanted extensions can help you. In the steps below we’ll show you the way to delete harmful extensions without reinstall. This will also allow to remove unwanted ads from your browser.
|Google Chrome||Mozilla Firefox|
You can also try to delete Search.windowconfig.com by reset Chrome settings.
If you are still experiencing issues with Search.windowconfig.com removal, you need to reset Mozilla Firefox browser.
Another solution to remove Search.windowconfig.com from Internet Explorer is reset IE settings.
Automatic Removal of Search.windowconfig.com
Security professionals have built efficient malware removal tools to aid users in removing hijackers , adware and potentially unwanted programs. Below we will share with you the best malicious software removal tools with the ability to search for and remove browser hijackers and other PUPs.
Remove Search.windowconfig.com with Zemana Free
Zemana Anti Malware highly recommended, because it can scan for security threats such hijacker and adware that most ‘classic’ antivirus applications fail to pick up on. Moreover, if you have any Search.windowconfig.com hijacker removal problems which cannot be fixed by this utility automatically, then Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) provides 24X7 online assistance from the highly experienced support staff.
Download Zemana on your computer from the following link.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
Once downloading is done, close all windows on your computer. Further, launch the set up file called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. If the “User Account Control” dialog box pops up as shown below, press the “Yes” button.
It will display the “Setup wizard” which will allow you install Zemana on the PC. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
Once setup is finished successfully, Zemana Anti Malware will automatically launch and you can see its main window like below.
Next, click the “Scan” button for checking your PC system for the browser hijacker responsible for Search.windowconfig.com redirects. During the scan Zemana AntiMalware will detect threats exist on your device.
As the scanning ends, you can check all items found on your computer. All detected threats will be marked. You can delete them all by simply click “Next” button.
The Zemana will delete hijacker which causes a redirect to Search.windowconfig.com web-site and move the selected threats to the Quarantine. Once the process is done, you can be prompted to restart your PC system.
Get rid of Search.windowconfig.com redirect from web browsers with HitmanPro
Hitman Pro cleans your computer from adware software, PUPs, unwanted toolbars, internet browser add-ons and other unwanted software such as hijacker related to Search.windowconfig.com. The free removal utility will help you enjoy your device to its fullest. Hitman Pro uses advanced behavioral detection technologies to scan for if there are undesired applications in your PC. You can review the scan results, and choose the threats you want to delete.
- HitmanPro can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your MS Windows desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- When downloading is complete, run the Hitman Pro, double-click the HitmanPro.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the HitmanPro window, press the “Next” to detect browser hijacker associated with Search.windowconfig.com. This process can take some time, so please be patient.
- When that process is done, a list of all items detected is created. All found threats will be marked. You can delete them all by simply click “Next”. Now, click the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial to delete all malware found.
Use MalwareBytes to delete Search.windowconfig.com
If you’re still having problems with the Search.windowconfig.com — or just wish to check your personal computer occasionally for browser hijacker and other malware — download MalwareBytes Anti Malware. It is free for home use, and scans for and removes various unwanted software that attacks your computer or degrades computer performance. MalwareBytes Free can get rid of adware, potentially unwanted programs as well as malware, including ransomware and trojans.
- Installing the MalwareBytes AntiMalware is simple. First you will need to download MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your internet browser will display the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After the downloading process is complete, please close all programs and open windows on your personal computer. Double-click on the icon that’s called MBSetup.
- This will run the Setup wizard of MalwareBytes Free onto your PC system. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) will launch and display the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button for checking your device for the browser hijacker responsible for redirects to Search.windowconfig.com. This process can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) is checking, you can see how many objects it has identified either as being malicious software.
- Once the system scan is finished, it will open the Scan Results.
- All detected items will be marked. You can remove them all by simply press the “Quarantine” button. When the cleaning procedure is finished, you may be prompted to reboot the PC.
- Close the Anti Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
How to stop Search.windowconfig.com redirect
By installing an ad blocker program like AdGuard, you’re able to stop Search.windowconfig.com redirects, block autoplaying video ads and remove a large amount of distracting and annoying ads on webpages.
- First, visit the page linked below, then press the ‘Download’ button in order to download the latest version of AdGuard.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After downloading it, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the install is done, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you start your computer, AdGuard will run automatically and stop undesired advertisements, block Search.windowconfig.com, as well as other harmful or misleading web-sites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, which can be found on your desktop.
Once you have removed the browser hijacker using this few simple steps, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge will no longer display the Search.windowconfig.com website. Unfortunately, if the few simple steps does not help you, then you have caught a new browser hijacker, and then the best way – ask for help here.