What is BlackURLDefender
BlackURLDefender is supposed to be a browser extension that will improve the browsing experience, but according to security professionals, this extension behaves like adware. Adware’s basic purpose is to display ads. These advertisements are often presented as advertising links, pop-ups or push notifications. Clicks on the advertisements produce a monetary payoff for the software authors. Adware can work like Spyware, since it sends user info such as searches and trends to advertisers.
Even worse, adware can be used to collect your user information that may be later transferred third party companies. You do not know if your home address, account names and passwords are safe.
How does BlackURLDefender get on your personal computer
|Type||adware, potentially unwanted program (PUP), pop up virus, popups, pop-up ads|
|Removal||BlackURLDefender removal guide|
How to remove BlackURLDefender adware (removal instructions)
There exist several free adware removal tools. Also it is possible to get rid of BlackURLDefender manually. But we recommend to combine all these ways below into the one removal algorithm. Follow the steps of the instructions. Read this manual carefully, bookmark it or open this page on your smartphone, because you may need to exit your web browser or restart your PC system.
To remove BlackURLDefender, use the steps below:
- How to get rid of BlackURLDefender adware without any software
- Automatic Removal of adware
- How to stay safe online
How to get rid of BlackURLDefender adware without any software
First of all, try to delete BlackURLDefender manually; to do this, follow the steps below. Of course, manual adware removal requires more time and may not be suitable for those who are poorly versed in computer settings. In this case, we suggest that you scroll down to the section that describes how to remove Adware using free tools.
Remove adware through the Microsoft Windows Control Panel
The process of adware removal is generally the same across all versions of Microsoft Windows OS from 10 to XP. To start with, it is necessary to check the list of installed apps on your PC system and delete all unused, unknown and dubious apps.
Press Windows button , then press Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then press “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will show the Windows Control Panel like below.
Further, press “Uninstall a program”
It will show a list of all apps installed on your PC. Scroll through the all list, and remove any suspicious and unknown apps.
Remove BlackURLDefender from Chrome
Another method to delete BlackURLDefender from Chrome is Reset Chrome settings. This will disable malicious addons and reset Google Chrome settings to original settings. However, your saved passwords and bookmarks will not be changed, deleted or cleared.
- First, start the Google Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the plugin labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following tutorial: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, press “Advanced” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, press the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Google Chrome will display the reset settings dialog box as shown on the image above.
- Confirm the internet browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Delete BlackURLDefender from Internet Explorer
By resetting Internet Explorer browser you return your browser settings to its default state. This is good initial when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by BlackURLDefender that causes tons of unwanted popups.
First, run the Internet Explorer, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will show the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the web browser, then click the “Internet Options” as displayed on the image below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then press the “Reset” button. The Internet Explorer will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” dialog box. Further, click the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, click the “Reset” button as shown on the screen below.
After the procedure is complete, press “Close” button. Close the IE and reboot your computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your internet browser’s new tab, default search engine and startpage to default state.
Get rid of BlackURLDefender from Mozilla Firefox by resetting web browser settings
If Mozilla Firefox settings are hijacked by the adware, your browser shows intrusive pop-up advertisements, then ‘Reset Mozilla Firefox’ could solve these problems. Keep in mind that resetting your web browser will not remove your history, bookmarks, passwords, and other saved data.
First, start the Mozilla Firefox. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will open the drop-down menu. Next, press the Help button ().
In the Help menu press the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button as shown in the following example.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Automatic Removal of adware
We’ve compiled some of the best adware removing tools that can be used to scan for and get rid of adware , unwanted browser plugins and potentially unwanted applications.
Run Zemana Free to delete Adware
Zemana Free is a malicious software removal tool. Currently, there are two versions of the tool, one of them is free and second is paid (premium). The principle difference between the free and paid version of the tool is real-time protection module. If you just need to check your PC for malware and get rid of adware that causes a large number of intrusive pop up advertisements, then the free version will be enough for you.
- First, click the link below, then click the ‘Download’ button in order to download the latest version of Zemana Free.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- Once you have downloaded the install file, make sure to double click on the Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. This would start the Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) installation on your computer.
- Select installation language and press ‘OK’ button.
- On the next screen ‘Setup Wizard’ simply press the ‘Next’ button and follow the prompts.
- Finally, once the setup is complete, Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) will launch automatically. Else, if does not then double-click on the Zemana Free icon on your desktop.
- Now that you have successfully install Zemana Anti-Malware, let’s see How to use Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) to get rid of adware from your computer.
- After you have launched the Zemana, you’ll see a window as on the image below, just press ‘Scan’ button to perform a system scan with this tool for the adware.
- Now pay attention to the screen while Zemana scans your computer.
- After Zemana Free completes the scan, Zemana AntiMalware will show you the results. Review the results once the tool has done the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply click ‘Next’ button.
- Zemana Free may require a reboot PC in order to complete the adware removal process.
- If you want to completely delete adware software from your PC system, then click ‘Quarantine’ icon, select all malicious software, adware, PUPs and other threats and press Delete.
- Restart your PC system to complete the adware software removal procedure.
How to stay safe online
In order to increase your security and protect your computer against new annoying ads and harmful webpages, you need to run ad-blocker program that stops an access to harmful ads and websites. Moreover, the program may stop the open of intrusive advertising, that also leads to faster loading of web-pages and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- AdGuard can be downloaded from the following link. Save it directly to your MS Windows Desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After downloading it, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the installation is done, click “Skip” to close the install application and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you start your device, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted advertisements, block harmful and misleading web-sites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, that is located on your desktop.
Once you have done the instructions outlined above, your personal computer should be clean from this adware and other malware. The Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer will no longer display any unwanted ads when you browse the Internet. Unfortunately, if the guide does not help you, then you have caught a new adware software, and then the best way – ask for help.
Please create a new question by using the “Ask Question” button in the Questions and Answers. Try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately. Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the BlackURLDefender adware.