According to security researchers, Searchseries is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that belongs to the category of browser hijackers. A common tactic used by PUPs developers is to replace web-browser’s settings such as new tab page, startpage and search engine by default so that the affected browser goes to a web-site under the developer’s control. In order to search for PUPs, remove Searchseries from the Internet Explorer, MS Edge, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome, please use the useful guide below.
The Searchseries browser hijacker will change your web-browser’s search provider so that all searches are sent via keysearchs.com that redirects to Bing, Yahoo or Google Custom Search engine that shows the search results for your query. The authors of this browser hijacker are utilizing legitimate search provider as they may make revenue from the advertisements which are displayed in the search results.
Another reason why you need to delete Searchseries is its online data-tracking activity. It can collect user info, including:
- IP addresses;
- URLs visited;
- search queries/terms;
- clicks on links and ads;
- web-browser version information.
So, if you happen to encounter the Searchseries browser hijacker, then be quick and take effort to get rid of this PUP sooner. Follow the steps below to remove Searchseries. Let us know how you managed by sending us your comments please.
How can Searchseries get on your PC
In most cases, browser hijackers and PUPs gets on your computer as a part of the setup files from a free hosting and file sharing web sites. So, install a free applications is a a good chance that you will find a bundled browser hijacker. If you don’t know how to avoid it, then use a simple trick. During the installation, select the Custom or Advanced installation type. Next, click ‘Decline’ button and clear all checkboxes on offers that ask you to install optional apps. Moreover, please carefully read Term of use and User agreement before installing any software or otherwise you can end up with another unwanted application on your PC.
|Type||PUP, redirect virus, start page hijacker, search provider hijacker, browser hijacker|
|Affected Browser Settings||search engine, homepage, new tab URL|
|Removal||Searchseries removal guide|
How to remove Searchseries from Windows 10 (8, 7, XP)
There are exist several free malware removal tools. Also it is possible to get rid of Searchseries browser hijacker manually. But we advise to combine all these ways below into the one removal algorithm. Follow the steps of the instructions. Certain of the steps will require you to reboot your PC system or shut down this web site. So, read this tutorial carefully, then bookmark this page or open it on your smartphone for later reference.
To remove Searchseries, execute the following steps:
- Manual Searchseries hijacker infection removal
- Automatic Removal of Searchseries
- Use AdBlocker to block Searchseries and stay safe online
- To sum up
Manual Searchseries hijacker infection removal
If you perform exactly the guidance below you should be able to get rid of the Searchseries hijacker infection from the IE, Mozilla Firefox, MS Edge and Chrome browsers.
Remove Searchseries related apps through the Control Panel of your PC system
You can manually remove nonaggressive browser hijackers by uninstalling a program that it came with or removing the hijacker itself using ‘Add/Remove programs’ or ‘Uninstall a program’ option in MS Windows Control Panel.
|Windows 7||Windows 8|
|Windows 10||Mac OS|
Remove Searchseries from Chrome
If your Google Chrome internet browser is hijacked by Searchseries, it may be necessary to completely reset your browser program to its original settings.
First open the Google Chrome. Next, press the button in the form of three horizontal dots ().
It will open the Chrome menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions. Carefully browse through the list of installed extensions. If the list has the add-on signed with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guidance: Remove Google Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Open the Chrome menu once again. Further, click the option named “Settings”.
The web browser will display the settings screen. Another way to open the Chrome’s settings – type chrome://settings in the browser adress bar and press Enter
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the “Advanced” link. Now scroll down until the “Reset” section is visible, like below and click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
The Chrome will display the confirmation dialog box as displayed below.
You need to confirm your action, press the “Reset” button. The internet browser will run the task of cleaning. Once it is complete, the web-browser’s settings including default search engine, newtab page and homepage back to the values that have been when the Google Chrome was first installed on your computer.
Delete Searchseries from Firefox by resetting internet browser settings
If the Mozilla Firefox settings such as homepage, search engine by default and new tab have been replaced by the Searchseries hijacker, then resetting it to the default state can help. Your saved bookmarks, form auto-fill information and passwords won’t be cleared or changed.
First, launch the Mozilla Firefox. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will display the drop-down menu. Next, press the Help button ().
In the Help menu press the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button as displayed below.
Confirm your action, press the “Refresh Firefox”.
Remove Searchseries hijacker from Internet Explorer
First, open the IE. Next, press the button in the form of gear (). It will open the Tools drop-down menu, click the “Internet Options” as shown on the screen below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The IE will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window such as the one below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click “Reset” button.
You will now need to restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Automatic Removal of Searchseries
Many antivirus companies have designed software that help detect and delete hijacker, and thereby restore web-browsers settings. Below is a a few of the free applications you may want to use. Your PC can have tons of potentially unwanted apps, adware software and hijackers installed at the same time, so we recommend, if any unwanted or malicious program returns after rebooting the computer, then launch your system into Safe Mode and use the anti malware utility once again.
Delete Searchseries hijacker with Zemana Anti-Malware
Zemana Free is a free program for MS Windows OS to search for and delete potentially unwanted applications, adware, malicious web browser add-ons, browser toolbars, and other unwanted applications such as Searchseries.
- Installing the Zemana AntiMalware is simple. First you’ll need to download Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) on your Windows Desktop from the link below.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- Once you have downloaded the installation file, make sure to double click on the Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. This would start the Zemana install on your PC.
- Select setup language and click ‘OK’ button.
- On the next screen ‘Setup Wizard’ simply click the ‘Next’ button and follow the prompts.
- Finally, once the install is complete, Zemana Free will open automatically. Else, if does not then double-click on the Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) icon on your desktop.
- Now that you have successfully install Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM), let’s see How to use Zemana AntiMalware to get rid of browser hijacker infection from your computer.
- After you have started the Zemana, you will see a window as displayed in the following example, just press ‘Scan’ button to perform a system scan for the browser hijacker infection.
- Now pay attention to the screen while Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) scans your computer.
- As the scanning ends, you’ll be shown the list of all detected threats on your PC system. Next, you need to click ‘Next’ button.
- Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) may require a reboot personal computer in order to complete the Searchseries hijacker removal process.
- If you want to permanently remove browser hijacker infection from your computer, then click ‘Quarantine’ icon, select all malware, adware, PUPs and other threats and press Delete.
- Reboot your PC to complete the hijacker removal process.
Use Hitman Pro to remove Searchseries hijacker
If Zemana AntiMalware cannot remove this browser hijacker, then we advises to run the HitmanPro. The HitmanPro is a free powerful, professional removal tool for malicious software, adware software, toolbars and PUPs as well as Searchseries. It completely removes all traces and remnants of the infection.
- Download Hitman Pro from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- Once downloading is done, start the Hitman Pro, double-click the HitmanPro.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, press Yes to continue.
- In the Hitman Pro window, click the “Next” to detect Searchseries browser hijacker. During the scan HitmanPro will detect threats present on your computer.
- When finished, HitmanPro will display a list of all items found by the scan. When you’re ready, press “Next”. Now, click the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial to remove all malware found.
How to get rid of Searchseries with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM)
We recommend using the MalwareBytes Free which are completely clean your computer of the browser hijacker. The free tool is an advanced malicious software removal program created by (c) Malwarebytes lab. This application uses the world’s most popular anti malware technology. It is able to help you get rid of browser hijacker, potentially unwanted applications, malware, adware, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your computer for free.
- Visit the page linked below to download the latest version of MalwareBytes Free for MS Windows. Save it on your Microsoft Windows desktop or in any other place.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- After downloading is complete, close all applications and windows on your machine. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named MBsetup.
- Select “Personal computer” option and click Install button. Follow the prompts.
- Once setup is complete, click the “Scan” button . MalwareBytes Anti Malware program will scan through the whole computer for the Searchseries hijacker. This process may take some time, so please be patient. During the scan MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) will look for threats present on your computer.
- When finished, you may check all threats found on your system. You may delete items (move to Quarantine) by simply press “Quarantine”. When disinfection is complete, you may be prompted to reboot your PC system.
The following video offers a steps on how to remove browser hijackers, adware and other malicious software with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM).
Use AdBlocker to block Searchseries and stay safe online
Use an adblocker utility such as AdGuard will protect you from malicious ads and content. Moreover, you may find that the AdGuard have an option to protect your privacy and block phishing and spam websites. Additionally, adblocker programs will help you to avoid unwanted pop-up ads and unverified links that also a good way to stay safe online.
Installing the AdGuard is simple. First you’ll need to download AdGuard on your computer by clicking on the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
After downloading it, double-click the downloaded file to run it. The “Setup Wizard” window will show up on the computer screen as displayed in the figure below.
Follow the prompts. AdGuard will then be installed and an icon will be placed on your desktop. A window will show up asking you to confirm that you want to see a quick guide like below.
Press “Skip” button to close the window and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick guidance which will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
Each time, when you start your computer, AdGuard will run automatically and stop undesired ads, block Searchseries, as well as other malicious or misleading web pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that is located on your desktop.
To sum up
Now your personal computer should be clean of the Searchseries hijacker. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted popup ads and unwanted harmful web-pages) and Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) (to periodically scan your machine for new hijackers and other malware). Probably you are running an older version of Java or Adobe Flash Player. This can be a security risk, so download and install the latest version right now.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove Searchseries from the Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome, then ask for help here here.