ProgressTrend is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that belongs to the category of Adware. Adware is a type of malicious software. It is designed to bombard you with unwanted advertisements and pop up windows that could potentially be dangerous for your MAC. If you get adware on your Apple Mac, it can alter web-browser settings and install harmful browser plugins.
Even worse, adware software can install a component which enables its author to track which webpages you visit, which products you look at upon those pages. They are then able to select the type of advertisements they show you. So, if you had adware on your MAC, there is a good chance you have another that is collecting and sharing your personal information with third parties, without your say-so.
Thus, it is clear that the presence of adware software on your computer is not desirable, and you need to clean up your MAC system as soon as possible. Follow the step-by-step tutorial below in order to get rid of ProgressTrend .
How does ProgressTrend get on your MAC system
|Name||ProgressTrend, Progress Trend 1.0 app|
|Type||adware software, PUP (potentially unwanted program), pop-ups, pop-up virus, popup ads|
|Removal||ProgressTrend removal guide|
How to remove ProgressTrend adware software
The adware is a form of malicious software that you might have difficulty in deleting it from your Apple Mac. Thankfully, you have found the effective ProgressTrend removal tutorial in this article. Both the manual removal solution and the automatic removal solution will be provided below and you can just select the one that best for you. If you’ve any questions or need assist then type a comment below. Some of the steps below will require you to exit this webpage. So, please read the few simple steps carefully, after that bookmark it or open it on your smartphone for later reference.
To remove ProgressTrend, perform the following steps:
- Manual ProgressTrend adware removal
- Automatic Removal of ProgressTrend adware
- How to stay safe online
- To sum up
Manual ProgressTrend adware removal
The step-by-step instructions created by our team will help you manually remove ProgressTrend adware software from the MAC system. If you are not good at computers, we recommend that you use the free tools listed below.
Uninstall adware through the Finder
The process of adware removal is generally the same across all versions of Mac OS. To start with, it’s necessary to check the list of installed software on your MAC OS and remove all unused, unknown and dubious apps.
Open Finder and click “Applications” as displayed on the screen below.
You will see a list of applications installed on your computer. We recommend to pay maximum attention to the program you installed last. Most likely, it is the ProgressTrend adware. If you’re in doubt, you can always check the program by doing a search for her name in Google, Yahoo or Bing. When the application which you need to uninstall is found, simply right click on its name, and choose “Move to Trash”.
Don’t forget, choose Finder, then “Empty Trash”.
Remove ProgressTrend adware from Chrome
Reset Chrome settings will allow you to completely reset your internet browser. The result of activating this function will bring Chrome settings back to its default state. This can remove ProgressTrend adware software and disable harmful extensions. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be lost. This will not affect your history, passwords, bookmarks, and other saved data.
- First, start the Google Chrome and press the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed add-ons. If the list has the plugin labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following steps: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Advanced” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Chrome will display the reset settings prompt as shown on the screen above.
- Confirm the web browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Remove ProgressTrend from Firefox by resetting web browser settings
Resetting Mozilla Firefox web browser will reset all the settings to their original state and will remove ProgressTrend ads, malicious add-ons and extensions. However, your saved passwords and bookmarks will not be changed, deleted or cleared.
Start the Mozilla Firefox and press the menu button (it looks like three stacked lines) at the top right of the internet browser screen. Next, press the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It will open the slide-out menu.
Select the “Troubleshooting information”. If you are unable to access the Help menu, then type “about:support” in your address bar and press Enter. It bring up the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown in the figure below.
Click the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the Troubleshooting Information page. Select “Refresh Firefox” in the confirmation dialog box. The Firefox will begin a process to fix your problems that caused by the ProgressTrend adware. After, it’s complete, press the “Finish” button.
Remove ProgressTrend adware software from Safari
If you find that Safari web browser settings like search engine by default, new tab and startpage having been modified by ProgressTrend adware, then you may revert back your settings, via the reset browser procedure.
Run Safari browser. Next, select Preferences from the Safari menu.
First, click the “Security” tab. Here, choose “Block pop-up windows”. It will block some types of popups.
Now, click the “Extensions” icon. Look for dubious add-ons on left panel, select it, then press the “Uninstall” button. Most important to remove all questionable add-ons from Safari.
Once complete, check your home page and search provider settings. Click “General” tab. Make sure that the “Homepage” field contains the website you want or is empty.
Make sure that the “Search engine” setting shows your preferred search provider. In some versions of Safari, this setting is in the “Search” tab.
Automatic Removal of ProgressTrend adware
If your Apple Mac is still infected with ProgressTrend adware, then the best way of detection and removal is to run an antimalware scan on the MAC system. Download free malicious software removal utilities below and start a full system scan. It will allow you get rid of all components of the adware software from hardisk and Windows registry.
How to get rid of ProgressTrend with MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM)
You can delete ProgressTrend automatically with a help of MalwareBytes Free. We advise this free malicious software removal utility because it may easily remove hijacker infection, adware, PUPs and toolbars with all their components such as files, folders and registry entries.
- Installing the MalwareBytes is simple. First you’ll need to download MalwareBytes on your MAC OS by clicking on the link below.
Malwarebytes Anti-malware (Mac)
Category: Security tools
Update: July 10, 2018
- Once the download is finished, please close all software and open windows on your computer. Run the downloaded file. Follow the prompts.
- The MalwareBytes Anti Malware will start and display the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button for scanning your Apple Mac for the ProgressTrend adware. Depending on your machine, the scan may take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the MalwareBytes AntiMalware tool is checking, you can see count of objects it has identified as being affected by malicious software.
- After MalwareBytes Free has completed scanning your MAC OS, you can check all threats detected on your MAC OS.
- Make sure to check mark the threats that are unsafe and then press the “Remove Selected Items” button.
- Close the Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
How to stay safe online
Run an ad blocker tool like AdGuard will protect you from malicious ads and content. Moreover, you can find that the AdGuard have an option to protect your privacy and stop phishing and spam webpages. Additionally, ad blocking apps will allow you to avoid annoying popup ads and unverified links that also a good way to stay safe online.
- Visit the following page to download AdGuard.
AdGuard for Mac download
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: January 17, 2018
- After downloading is complete, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the install is complete, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you start your MAC, AdGuard will start automatically and stop undesired advertisements, block malicious or misleading web-sites.
To sum up
Now your MAC should be clean of the ProgressTrend adware. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you stop unwanted ads and intrusive malicious websites) and MalwareBytes Free (to periodically scan your MAC for new malware, hijackers and adware). Make sure that you have all the Critical Updates recommended for Mac operating system. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new hijackers, malicious programs and adware are released.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove ProgressTrend ads from your web-browser, then ask for help here.