DiscoverResults is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that belongs to the Adware category. How can Adware be dangerous to your Mac? Adware is considered by many to be synonymous with ‘malicious software’. It’s a malicious application which serves unwanted advertisements to computer users. Some examples include pop-up ads, different offers and deals or unclosable windows. Adware can be installed onto your computer via infected web sites, when you open email attachments, anytime you download and install free applications.
Does DiscoverResults steal your privacy information? Adware can have spyware and keyloggers built into the application, leading to greater damage to your machine and possible invasion of your confidential information.
If you want to remove DiscoverResults, you will not succeed, because the adware is very stubborn. But with the help of the following guide, you surely can remove adware and unwanted ads completely from your internet browsers.
How does DiscoverResults get on your machine
|Type||adware, potentially unwanted application (PUA), pop-ups, popup advertisements, popup virus|
|Removal||DiscoverResults removal guide|
How to Remove DiscoverResults adware
When the adware gets installed on your computer without your knowledge, it’s not easy to delete. In many cases, there is no Uninstall program that simply uninstall the DiscoverResults adware from your MAC. So, we advise using well-proven free specialized tool such as MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM). But the best solution to remove DiscoverResults adware software will be to perform several manual steps, after that additionally use antimalware utilities.
To remove DiscoverResults, use the steps below:
- How to manually delete DiscoverResults
- Automatic Removal of DiscoverResults adware
- Stop DiscoverResults adware and other annoying webpages
- Finish words
How to manually delete DiscoverResults
The step-by-step instructions will help you manually delete DiscoverResults ads from the internet browser. If you have little experience in using computers, we suggest that you use the free tools listed below.
Remove DiscoverResults related apps through the Finder
In order to delete PUPs like this adware, open the Finder and click on “Applications”. Check the list of installed software. For the ones you do not know, run an Internet search to see if they are adware software, hijacker or potentially unwanted applications. If yes, remove them off. Even if they are just a programs which you do not use, then uninstalling them off will increase your computer start up time and speed dramatically.
- Open the Finder.
- Click “Applications”.
- It will open a list of all programs installed on the MAC OS.
- Scroll through the all list, and delete dubious and unknown applications. Pay maximum attention to the program you installed last.
- Drag the questionable program from the Applications folder to the Trash.
- Empty Trash.
Remove DiscoverResults adware software from Google Chrome
Use the Reset web-browser utility of the Google Chrome to reset all its settings like startpage, newtab and search engine by default to original defaults. This is a very useful utility to use, in the case of adware infection.
- First run the Google Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Google Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following tutorial: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Chrome will open the reset profile settings page as on the image above.
- Next press the “Reset” button.
- Once this process is complete, your browser’s new tab, search provider and home page will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Remove DiscoverResults adware from Mozilla Firefox
If the Mozilla Firefox web browser application is hijacked by DiscoverResults, then resetting its settings can help. The Reset feature is available on all modern version of Firefox. A reset can fix many issues by restoring Mozilla Firefox settings such as homepage, search engine and newtab to their original settings. When using the reset feature, your personal information like passwords, bookmarks, browsing history and web form auto-fill data will be saved.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and click the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu like below.
A small menu will appear, click the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, click “Refresh Firefox” button as on the image below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to return your Firefox web-browser settings to their default state.
Get rid of DiscoverResults adware from Safari
By resetting Safari internet browser you revert back your browser settings to its default state. This is first when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by DiscoverResults adware software.
Run Safari web browser. Next, select Preferences from the Safari menu.
First, click the “Security” icon. Here, select “Block pop-up windows”. It will stop some types of pop ups.
Now, click the “Extensions” icon. Look for suspicious extensions on left panel, choose it, then click the “Uninstall” button. Most important to remove all questionable add-ons from Safari.
Once complete, check your homepage and search engine settings. Click “General” icon. Make sure that the “Homepage” field contains the website you want or is empty.
Make sure that the “Search engine” setting shows your preferred search provider. In some versions of Safari, this setting is in the “Search” tab.
Automatic Removal of DiscoverResults adware
If you are unsure how to remove DiscoverResults adware software easily, consider using automatic adware software removal programs that listed below. It will identify the DiscoverResults adware software and get rid of it from your MAC for free.
Run MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) to remove DiscoverResults
We suggest using the MalwareBytes Free. You can download and install MalwareBytes Free to look for adware and thereby remove DiscoverResults ads from your browsers. When installed and updated, this free malware remover automatically detects and deletes all threats present on the Apple Mac.
- MalwareBytes can be downloaded from the following link.
Malwarebytes Anti-malware (Mac)
Category: Security tools
Update: September 10, 2020
- After the download is finished, close all software and windows on your MAC OS. Open a folder in which you saved it. Run the downloaded file and follow the prompts.
- Click the “Scan” button . MalwareBytes utility will start scanning the whole MAC to find out the DiscoverResults adware. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the count of files on your MAC system and the speed of your Apple Mac. While the MalwareBytes program is scanning, you may see count of objects it has identified as threat.
- When MalwareBytes AntiMalware completes the scan, you may check all items detected on your Apple Mac. Make sure to check mark the threats that are unsafe and then press “Remove Selected Items”.
How to stay safe online
By installing an ad blocking application like AdGuard, you’re able to block malicious websites, stop autoplaying video ads and remove lots of distracting and unwanted ads on web-sites.
- AdGuard can be downloaded from the following link.
AdGuard for Mac download
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: January 17, 2018
- Once the download is done, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is complete, click “Skip” to close the install program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your Apple Mac, AdGuard will run automatically and stop undesired ads, block harmful and misleading web-sites.
Once you’ve done the step-by-step guidance outlined above, your Apple Mac should be clean from this adware software and other malware. The Google Chrome, Safari and Mozilla Firefox will no longer display the DiscoverResults ads when you browse the Internet. Unfortunately, if the steps does not help you, then you have caught a new adware, and then the best way – ask for help.
Please create a new question by using the “Ask Question” button in the Questions and Answers. Try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately. Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the DiscoverResults adware.