BenefitSites is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that belongs to the Adware family. Is Adware dangerous? Adware is considered by many to be synonymous with ‘malicious software’. It’s a malicious application which serves unwanted ads to computer users. Some examples include pop-up advertisements, push notifications or unclosable windows. The reason for adware software’s existence is to earn money for its creator. Adware can be installed onto your MAC via infected web-sites, when you open email attachments, anytime you download and install free programs.
Does adware steal your confidential data? Adware software has the ability to collect your surfing history and user info, including passwords and credit card numbers. In the future, confidential info can be transferred third party companies.
|Name||BenefitSites, BenefitSites 1.0 app|
|Type||adware, PUP (potentially unwanted program), pop up advertisements, pop-up virus, pop-ups|
|Removal||BenefitSites removal guide|
How does Adware get on your MAC system
You should get rid of adware software ASAP. Here, in this post below, you can found the helpful guide on How to get rid of adware software and BenefitSites from your Apple Mac for free.
How to Remove BenefitSites app from Mac (Adware virus removal steps)
There are a few methods which can be used to remove BenefitSites adware. But, not all potentially unwanted applications like this adware can be completely removed utilizing only manual ways. Most commonly you’re not able to delete any adware utilizing standard Mac OS options. In order to remove BenefitSites adware software you need complete a few manual steps and run reliable removal tools. Most IT security researchers states that MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) tool is a right choice. The free program is able to look for and remove BenefitSites adware from your MAC and revert back your browser settings to defaults.
To remove BenefitSites, perform the steps below:
- How to manually remove BenefitSites
- Automatic Removal of BenefitSites
- How to stay safe online
- To sum up
How to manually remove BenefitSites
This part of the blog post is a step-by-step instructions that will show you how to remove BenefitSites adware software manually. You just need to follow every step. In this case, you do not need to download any additional apps.
Delete PUPs through the Finder
First method for manual adware removal is to go into the Finder, then Applications. Take a look at the list of programs on your machine and see if there are any suspicious and unknown applications. If you see any, you need to delete them. Of course, before doing so, you can do an World Wide Web search to find details on the program. If it is a potentially unwanted program, adware or malicious software, you will likely find information that says so.
- Open the Finder.
- Click “Applications”.
- It will display a list of all programs installed on the computer.
- Scroll through the all list, and uninstall dubious and unknown applications. Pay maximum attention to the program you installed last.
- Drag the dubious program from the Applications folder to the Trash.
- Empty Trash.
Delete BenefitSites adware from Safari
If you find that Safari web browser settings such as search provider by default, startpage and new tab having been modified by BenefitSites adware that causes unwanted ads, then you may return your settings, via the reset web browser procedure.
Run Safari browser. Next, choose Preferences from the Safari menu.
First, click the “Security” tab. Here, select “Block pop-up windows”. It will stop some types of pop ups.
Now, click the “Extensions” tab. Look for suspicious extensions on left panel, choose it, then press the “Uninstall” button. Most important to delete all questionable addons from Safari.
Once complete, check your startpage and search provider settings. Click “General” tab. Make sure that the “Homepage” field contains the website you want or is empty.
Make sure that the “Search engine” setting shows your preferred search engine. In some versions of Safari, this setting is in the “Search” tab.
Remove BenefitSites from Chrome
Like other modern web-browsers, the Chrome has the ability to reset the settings to their default values and thereby recover the web-browser’s settings such as search provider, new tab and startpage that have been replaced by the BenefitSites adware which developed to redirect your web-browser to various ad web-sites.
- First launch the Google Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will show the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the addon labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guide: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset” button.
- The Chrome will show the reset profile settings page as shown on the screen above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this task is complete, your web browser’s new tab, search engine by default and startpage will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Remove BenefitSites from Mozilla Firefox by resetting browser settings
If the Mozilla Firefox internet browser is infected by the BenefitSites adware and you want to recover the Mozilla Firefox settings back to their default values, then you should follow the step-by-step tutorial below. When using the reset feature, your personal information such as passwords, bookmarks, browsing history and web form auto-fill data will be saved.
First, launch the Mozilla Firefox. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will display the drop-down menu. Next, click the Help button ().
In the Help menu click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page press on “Refresh Firefox” button as shown on the image below.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Automatic Removal of BenefitSites
If you’re unsure how to get rid of BenefitSites easily, consider using automatic adware software removal applications that listed below. It will identify the BenefitSites and remove it from your Mac for free.
Automatically get rid of BenefitSites adware software with MalwareBytes
We recommend using the MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) that are completely clean your computer of the adware. This free utility is an advanced malware removal application designed by (c) Malwarebytes lab. This application uses the world’s most popular anti malware technology. It is able to help you delete intrusive BenefitSites ads from your web-browsers, PUPs, malicious software, hijacker, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your machine for free.
Installing the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is simple. First you’ll need to download MalwareBytes on your MS Windows Desktop from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: July 10, 2018
When downloading is done, close all apps and windows on your MAC. Open a directory in which you saved it. Run the saved file and follow the prompts.
Once install is done, you will see window like below.
Now press the “Scan” button . MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) utility will begin scanning the whole machine to find out BenefitSites adware software that causes a large number of annoying ads. This process can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the MalwareBytes is checking, you can see number of objects it has identified either as being malicious software.
When the system scan is finished, you’ll be displayed the list of all found threats on your MAC. Once you have selected what you wish to delete from your computer click “Remove Selected Items” button.
The Malwarebytes will now start to uninstall BenefitSites adware.
How to stay safe online
Run adblocker program like AdGuard in order to stop ads, malvertisements, pop-ups and online trackers, avoid having to install malicious and adware browser plug-ins and add-ons that affect your computer performance and impact your Apple Mac security. Browse the Net anonymously and stay safe online!
- Visit the following page to download AdGuard.
AdGuard for Mac download
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: January 17, 2018
- Once the download is finished, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the install is done, click “Skip” to close the installation application and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you run your machine, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted advertisements, block harmful or misleading web-pages.
To sum up
After completing the steps above, your MAC should be free from BenefitSites and other malware. The Safari, Chrome and Mozilla Firefox will no longer reroute you to the BenefitSites ads. Unfortunately, if the step-by-step tutorial does not help you, then you have caught a new adware software, and then the best way – ask for help here.