What is URL:MAL virus? The URL:MAL virus is a dangerous security threat. If your antivirus software (Avira, Avg or other) detects this threat in the web pages that you open in the Google Chrome, MS Edge, IE and Firefox then it means that a malware get installed on your computer. Most often, antivirus can remove (block) this malicious code (URL:MAL virus itself) from pages, but can not always find and remove malicious software that inject this malicious code to the web pages you are viewing.
What does URL:MAL virus do? Once installed, the URL:MAL virus will be configured to launch automatically when Windows starts. It may display a lot of annoying ads, add harmful code into web pages that you are opening in your web browser, hijack internet browser’s settings such as startpage and search provider, and so on.
It is not a good idea to use a system that affected with the URL:MAL virus. The reason for this is simple, it doing things you do not know about. This virus can collect confidential info about you which can be later sold to third parties. You do not know if your home address, account names and passwords are safe.
So, it is very important to free your system of this virus as quickly as possible. The step-by-step guidance, which is shown below, will allow you to remove URL:MAL virus from your computer and internet browsers.
How to remove URL:MAL virus from system
There are a simple guide below that will help you to get rid of URL:MAL virus from your Windows system. The most effective solution to remove this virus is to follow the manual steps and then use Zemana Free, MalwareBytes Free or HitmanPro automatic tools (all are free). The manual steps will assist to weaken this virus and these malware removal utilities will completely delete URL:MAL virus and restore the computer settings to default.
To remove URL:MAL virus, perform the following steps:
- Removing the URL:MAL virus, check the list of installed programs first
- Run Zemana Free to delete URL:MAL virus
- Use HitmanPro to remove URL:MAL from the computer
- Automatically remove URL:MAL virus with Malwarebytes
- Get rid of URL:MAL virus from Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Remove URL:MAL virus from Firefox
- Get rid of URL:MAL virus from Chrome
- Run AdBlocker to stay safe online
- Finish words
Removing the URL:MAL virus, check the list of installed programs first
In order to remove URL:MAL, first thing you need to do is to remove unknown and suspicious applications from your personal computer using Windows control panel. When uninstalling this virus, check the list of installed programs and try to find questionable programs and uninstall them all. Pay special attention to recently installed programs, as it is most likely that the URL:MAL virus сame along with it.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
First, click Windows button , then press Search . Type ‘Control panel’and press Enter as shown in the figure below.
Once the ‘Control Panel’ opens, click the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as displayed below.
You will see the ‘Uninstall a program’ panel as shown on the screen below.
Very carefully look around the entire list of software installed on your computer. Most likely, one of them is the virus and other security threats. If you’ve many software installed, you can help simplify the search of malicious apps by sort the list by date of installation. Once you have found a questionable, unwanted or unused application, right click to it, after that click ‘Uninstall’.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
First, click ‘Start’ button and select ‘Control Panel’ at right panel as displayed on the screen below.
Once the Windows ‘Control Panel’ opens, you need to click ‘Uninstall a program’ under ‘Programs’ as shown on the image below.
You will see a list of programs installed on your machine. We recommend to sort the list by date of installation to quickly find the apps that were installed last. Most likely, it’s the virus related files, folders and registry keys. If you’re in doubt, you can always check the application by doing a search for her name in Google, Yahoo or Bing. When the program which you need to delete is found, simply click on its name, and then press ‘Uninstall’ like below.
Run Zemana Free to delete URL:MAL virus
You can get rid of URL:MAL virus automatically with a help of Zemana Free. We suggest this malware removal tool because it can easily get rid of viruss, PUPs, adware and toolbars with all their components such as folders, files and registry entries.
- Zemana can be downloaded from the following link. Save it directly to your MS Windows Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your browser will show the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- When downloading is finished, please close all apps and open windows on your personal computer. Next, launch a file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will run the “Setup wizard” of Zemana Anti Malware onto your machine. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) will open and show the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button . Zemana Anti Malware tool will begin scanning the whole system to find out virus related files, folders and registry keys. Depending on your personal computer, the scan may take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the Zemana Free application is checking, you may see count of objects it has identified as threat.
- As the scanning ends, Zemana will display you the results.
- Review the scan results and then press the “Next” button. The utility will delete URL:MAL virus and other malicious software and potentially unwanted apps and move threats to the program’s quarantine. Once the procedure is complete, you may be prompted to reboot the computer.
- Close the Zemana Anti Malware and continue with the next step.
Use HitmanPro to remove URL:MAL from the computer
HitmanPro is a portable utility which searches for and removes unwanted programs such as hijackers, adware, toolbars, other web browser extensions and other malicious software. It scans your system for URL:MAL virus and other security threats and produces a list of items marked for removal. Hitman Pro will only delete those unwanted programs that you wish to be removed.
Hitman Pro can be downloaded from the following link. Save it directly to your Windows Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
Once downloading is done, open the file location. You will see an icon like below.
Double click the Hitman Pro desktop icon. After the utility is started, you will see a screen as on the image below.
Further, click “Next” button to perform a system scan with this utility for the URL:MAL virus and other kinds of potential threats such as malware and PUPs. A scan may take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your PC system and the speed of your computer. When HitmanPro completes the scan, HitmanPro will display you the results as displayed in the following example.
In order to remove all items, simply click “Next” button. It will show a dialog box, click the “Activate free license” button.
Automatically remove URL:MAL virus with Malwarebytes
Manual URL:MAL virus removal requires some computer skills. Some files and registry entries that created by the virus may be not completely removed. We recommend that run the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your system of virus. Moreover, the free program will help you to delete malicious software, potentially unwanted applications, ad supported software and toolbars that your PC can be infected too.
Click the link below to download MalwareBytes. Save it on your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
When the downloading process is done, close all applications and windows on your system. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s called mb3-setup as shown below.
When the installation begins, you will see the “Setup wizard” that will help you install Malwarebytes on your machine.
Once install is complete, you will see window as shown on the screen below.
Now press the “Scan Now” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the URL:MAL virus and other kinds of potential threats like malicious software and PUPs. This process can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the MalwareBytes Free tool is scanning, you can see count of objects it has identified as being affected by malicious software.
Once that process is finished, MalwareBytes Free will open a list of all items found by the scan. You may get rid of threats (move to Quarantine) by simply click “Quarantine Selected” button.
The Malwarebytes will now remove virus and other security threats and add threats to the Quarantine. When the clean up is complete, you may be prompted to restart your system.
The following video explains step-by-step guide on how to remove browser hijacker, adware and other malicious software with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Get rid of URL:MAL virus from Microsoft Internet Explorer
By resetting Internet Explorer web-browser you restore your browser settings to its default state. This is basic when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by the URL:MAL virus.
First, open the IE, press ) button. Next, click “Internet Options” as shown below.
In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, click Reset button. The Internet Explorer will show the Reset Internet Explorer settings dialog box. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and click Reset button.
You will now need to reboot your system for the changes to take effect. It will get rid of virus related files, folders and registry keys, disable malicious and ad-supported web browser’s extensions and restore the Internet Explorer’s settings such as home page, new tab and search provider by default to default state.
Remove URL:MAL virus from Firefox
The Mozilla Firefox reset will delete modified preferences, extensions and security settings. It will keep your personal information like browsing history, bookmarks, passwords and web form auto-fill data.
Press the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and click the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu like below.
A small menu will appear, click the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, click “Refresh Firefox” button as displayed on the screen below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to return your Mozilla Firefox internet browser settings to their original state.
Get rid of URL:MAL virus from Chrome
Run the Reset web-browser tool of the Chrome to reset all its settings such as home page, search provider and new tab page to original defaults. This is a very useful utility to use, if your PC is infected by URL:MAL threat.
- First launch the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed add-ons. If the list has the plugin labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guide: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Chrome will show the reset profile settings page as on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this procedure is complete, your internet browser’s new tab, search engine by default and start page will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Run AdBlocker to stay safe online
One of the worst things is the fact that you cannot block all those intrusive and harmful web sites using only built-in Microsoft Windows capabilities. However, there is a application out that you can use to block unwanted web browser redirections, advertisements and pop-ups in any modern internet browsers including Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. It is named Adguard and it works very well.
- Visit the page linked below to download AdGuard. Save it on your MS Windows desktop or in any other place.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- When downloading is finished, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- When the installation is complete, press “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you start your PC system, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted ads, as well as other malicious or misleading web-sites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, that is located on your desktop.
Now your machine should be free of the URL:MAL virus. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted pop up ads and intrusive harmful webpages) and Zemana (to periodically scan your computer for new malicious software, hijackers and ad-supported software). Make sure that you have all the Critical Updates recommended for MS Windows operating system. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new browser hijacker infections, harmful apps and ad-supported software are released.
If you are still having problems while trying to get rid of URL:MAL virus from your PC system, then ask for help here.