The Galactica Games is a hijacker from the big family of browser hijackers. The appearance of Galactica Games in your browser means that your PC system has been hijacked by nasty potentially unwanted program from the browser hijacker family, which makes various changes to settings of all your typical internet browsers by changing the newtab, startpage and search engine by default. So, if you find that when you launch your browser, it displays this intrusive web-page, then you don’t need to wait , you need to follow the guide below and get rid of Galactica Games ASAP.
If your machine has been infected by Galactica Games browser hijacker you will be forced to use its own search engine. It could seem not to be dangerous, but you still should be very careful, since it may display unwanted and malicious ads made to trick you into buying certain questionable applications or products, provide search results that may redirect your internet browser to some deceptive, misleading or harmful web-pages. We suggest that you use only the reliable search provider such as Google, Yahoo or Bing.
Table of contents
- What is Galactica Games
- Galactica Games redirect removal guide
- How to manually remove Galactica Games
- Remove all ad-supported software and other PUPs through the MS Windows Control Panel
- Fix web browser shortcuts, altered by Galactica Games hijacker
- Remove Galactica Games startpage from Google Chrome
- Remove Galactica Games start page from Internet Explorer
- Remove Galactica Games from Firefox by resetting browser settings
- Scan your machine and get rid of Galactica Games with free utilities
- How to manually remove Galactica Games
- Block Galactica Games and other annoying web pages
- Why is my browser redirected to Galactica Games?
- To sum up
Some browser hijackers also contain adware (sometimes called ‘ad-supported’ software) which may be used to open annoying advertisements and or gather a wide variety of personal info which can be sold to third parties. These unwanted ads can be shown in the form of pop-unders, pop-ups, in-text advertisements, video advertisements, text links or banners or even massive full page ads. Most of the ad supported software is created to display ads, but some ‘ad supported’ software is form of spyware that often used to track users to gather personal information about you.
In addition to that, as was mentioned earlier, certain browser hijacker infections such as Galactica Games to also change all web browsers shortcuts which located on your Desktop or Start menu. So, every infected shortcut will try to redirect your browser to intrusive sites, certain of which might be harmful. It can make the whole personal computer more vulnerable to hacker attacks.
So, it’s very important to free your computer of hijacker ASAP. The step-by-step instructions, which is shown below, will assist you to get rid of Galactica Games home page from the Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge and other web browsers.
Galactica Games redirect removal guide
Fortunately, we’ve an effective way which will help you manually or/and automatically remove Galactica Games from your PC system and bring your web browser settings, including home page, new tab page and search engine by default, back to normal. Below you’ll find a removal guide with all the steps you may need to successfully get rid of this browser hijacker infection and its components. Certain of the steps will require you to restart your computer or exit the web-page. So, read this guidance carefully, then bookmark or print it for later reference.
How to manually remove Galactica Games
If you perform exactly the step-by-step instructions below you should be able to remove the Galactica Games from the Chrome, IE, Firefox and MS Edge web-browsers.
Remove all ad-supported software and other PUPs through the MS Windows Control Panel
Check out the Microsoft Windows Control Panel (Programs and Features section) to see all installed programs. We recommend to click on the “Date Installed” in order to sort the list of programs by the date you installed them. If you see any unknown and suspicious programs, they are the ones you need to delete.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then press Windows button, next press Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then press “Start” button and press “Control Panel”.
- It will show the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, click “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will display a list of all applications installed on the personal computer.
- Scroll through the all list, and remove suspicious and unknown applications. To quickly find the latest installed software, we recommend sort software by date.
See more details in the video instructions below.
Fix web browser shortcuts, altered by Galactica Games hijacker
A browser hijacker can hijack various Windows shortcuts on your desktop (most often, all internet browsers shortcuts), so in this step you need to check and clean them by removing the argument like http://site.address/.
To clear the browser shortcut, right-click to it and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text similar “http://site.address” which has been added here. You need to delete it.
When the text is removed, press the OK button. You need to clean all shortcuts of all your internet browsers, as they may be infected too.
Remove Galactica Games home page from Google Chrome
Like other modern web-browsers, the Google Chrome has the ability to reset the settings to their default values and thereby restore the browser home page, new tab and default search engine that have been modified by the Galactica Games hijacker.
Open the Chrome menu by clicking on the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will display the drop-down menu. Next, click to “Settings” option.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “Show advanced settings” link. Now scroll down until the Reset settings section is visible, as shown in the figure below and click the “Reset settings” button.
Confirm your action, click the “Reset” button.
Remove Galactica Games homepage from Internet Explorer
By resetting Microsoft Internet Explorer browser you restore your web-browser settings to its default state. This is good initial when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by hijacker like Galactica Games.
First, run the Internet Explorer, then press ‘gear’ icon . It will show the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the web browser, then press the “Internet Options” as on the image below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The Internet Explorer will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” prompt. Further, click the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, click the “Reset” button as shown on the screen below.
When the process is finished, press “Close” button. Close the Microsoft Internet Explorer and restart your computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your browser’s newtab page, start page and search provider by default to default state.
Remove Galactica Games from Firefox by resetting browser settings
If your Firefox browser start page has changed to Galactica Games without your permission or a an unknown search engine opens results for your search, then it may be time to perform the web-browser reset.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and click the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as on the image below.
A small menu will appear, press the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, click “Refresh Firefox” button as on the image below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to return your Firefox browser settings to its original state.
Scan your machine and get rid of Galactica Games with free utilities
Manual removal is not always as effective as you might think. Often, even the most experienced users can not completely remove hijacker infection from the infected computer. So, we recommend to check your PC for any remaining malicious components with free browser hijacker removal software below.
Get rid of Galactica Games home page with Zemana Anti-malware
We suggest using the Zemana Anti-malware. You can download and install Zemana Anti-malware to find and delete Galactica Games home page from your PC. When installed and updated, the malicious software remover will automatically scan and detect all threats exist on the PC system.
- Please download Zemana anti malware to your desktop from the following link.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your internet browser will display the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- Once downloading is finished, please close all programs and open windows on your machine. Next, launch a file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will open the “Setup wizard” of Zemana antimalware onto your computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the antimalware will start and open the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button . This will begin scanning the whole system to find out browser hijacker infection and web browser’s malicious plugins. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your computer and the speed of your PC system. When a malware, ad supported software or potentially unwanted software are found, the count of the security threats will change accordingly.
- When it has finished scanning your computer, you’ll be opened the list of all found items on your system.
- Review the report and then press the “Next” button to start cleaning your personal computer. Once the process is done, you may be prompted to restart the machine.
- Close the Zemana Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Scan and clean your PC system of browser hijacker infection with Malwarebytes
We recommend using the Malwarebytes Free. You can download and install Malwarebytes to scan for and remove Galactica Games search from your machine. When installed and updated, the free malware remover will automatically scan and detect all threats present on the system.
Download Malwarebytes Free on your computer from the link below. Save it on your desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: July 25, 2019
After downloading is done, close all windows on your personal computer. Further, run the file named mb3-setup. If the “User Account Control” prompt pops up as shown on the screen below, click the “Yes” button.
It will open the “Setup wizard” that will allow you install Malwarebytes on the computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
Once install is done successfully, press Finish button. Then Malwarebytes will automatically start and you can see its main window as shown in the figure below.
Next, click the “Scan Now” button . This will start scanning the whole computer to find out browser hijacker . Depending on your PC, the scan may take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the tool is checking, you can see number of objects and files has already scanned.
As the scanning ends, a list of all threats detected is produced. When you are ready, click “Quarantine Selected” button.
The Malwarebytes will start removing Galactica Games hijacker and other security threats. Once disinfection is finished, you can be prompted to reboot your computer. We suggest you look at the following video, which completely explains the procedure of using the Malwarebytes to get rid of hijacker, adware and other malicious software.
Run AdwCleaner to delete Galactica Games from the system
AdwCleaner is a free removal utility that can be downloaded and run to remove hijackers, ad supported software, malicious software, potentially unwanted programs, toolbars and other threats from your PC. You may use this tool to detect threats even if you have an antivirus or any other security application.
- Download AdwCleaner from the following link.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: November 26, 2019
- Select the file location as Desktop, and then click Save.
- After the download is complete, start the AdwCleaner, double-click the adwcleaner_xxx.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the AdwCleaner window, press the “Scan” for scanning your computer for the Galactica Games hijacker which cause a reroute to Galactica Games. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the count of files on your machine and the speed of your PC. When a threat is detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the scanning is complete.
- Once the scanning is done, you will be displayed the list of all found items on your computer. Review the scan results and then click “Clean”. If the AdwCleaner will ask you to reboot your computer, click “OK”.
The step by step instructions shown in detail in the following video.
Block Galactica Games and other annoying web pages
Use an ad-blocker tool such as AdGuard will protect you from harmful advertisements and content. Moreover, you can find that the AdGuard have an option to protect your privacy and block phishing and spam web-pages. Additionally, ad blocking software will help you to avoid annoying popup advertisements and unverified links that also a good way to stay safe online.
Installing the AdGuard ad blocker program is simple. First you’ll need to download AdGuard from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
Once downloading is finished, double-click the downloaded file to launch it. The “Setup Wizard” window will show up on the computer screen as shown below.
Follow the prompts. AdGuard will then be installed and an icon will be placed on your desktop. A window will show up asking you to confirm that you want to see a quick guide as shown on the screen below.
Click “Skip” button to close the window and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick guidance which will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
Each time, when you start your PC, AdGuard will launch automatically and block pop up advertisements, pages such Galactica Games, as well as other malicious or misleading web-pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which is located on your desktop.
Why is my browser redirected to Galactica Games?
These days certain freeware developers bundle additional software which could be potentially unwanted applications like the Galactica Games hijacker, with a view to making some money. These are not free software as install an unwanted programs on to your MS Windows system. So whenever you install a new free program that downloaded from the World Wide Web, be very careful during installation. Carefully read the EULA (a text with I ACCEPT/I DECLINE button), select custom or manual install method, uncheck all third-party programs.
To sum up
Now your computer should be free of the Galactica Games redirect. Uninstall AdwCleaner. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted popup ads and undesired harmful web pages) and Malwarebytes (to periodically scan your machine for new browser hijackers, malware and ‘ad supported’ software). Probably you are running an older version of Java or Adobe Flash Player. This can be a security risk, so download and install the latest version right now.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove Galactica Games start page from the Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, IE and Edge, then ask for help in our Spyware/Malware removal forum.