The speedometer.site is a ‘ad’ web page. If this page popping up in your web browser then most probably that your computer is infected with adware (also known as ‘ad-supported’ software). It is a type of dangerous software that designed to open lots of unwanted ads. Unlike viruses, the adware will not delete or infect your files, but its actions will cause some problems with your web-browser. This is because, it’ll infect your system, get full access to your web browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Microsoft Internet Explorer and be able to change their settings. Of course, it did not ask you for permission and do it secretly as possible. Once your web browser settings will be modified, you will be redirected to unwanted advertisements, some of which can lead to dangerous or misleading web sites. For this reason, we recommend that you start the clean up of your PC system as soon as possible and thereby delete speedometer.site pop-ups.
Most often, the adware affects the most common browsers like the Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Edge. But such the harmful software as well may infect another web-browsers by changing its shortcuts (adding an argument like ‘http://site.address’ into Target field of a browser’s shortcut). So every time you launch the web-browser, it will redirect to the unwanted speedometer.site web-page. Even if you setup a new startpage, an annoying web page will be the first thing you see when you launch the Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox and MS Edge.
The ad supported software is not a virus, but the virus behaves similarly. As a rootkit hides in the system, alters browser settings and blocks them from changing. Also the adware can install additional browser extensions, addons and modules that will inject advertisements within the Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Microsoft Edge’s screen. Moreover, the adware may install web-browser hijacker that once started, will alter the internet browser’s startpage and search engine. And finally, the ad-supported software can collect a wide variety of personal information such as what web pages you are opening, what you are looking for the Internet and so on. This information, in the future, may be transferred to third parties.
So, obviously, you need to get rid of the adware as soon as possible. Use the free few simple steps below. This guide will help you clean your PC system and thereby get rid of the speedometer.site unwanted pop-up ads.
How did speedometer.site pop-up ads get on your system
How to manually remove speedometer.site advertisements
The simple answer is right here on this page. We have put together simplicity and efficiency. It will help you easily to clean your computer of ‘ad supported’ software. Moreover, you can choose manual or automatic removal method. If you are familiar with the personal computer then use manual removal, otherwise use the free anti-malware utility designed specifically to delete ad supported software which causes annoying speedometer.site redirect. Of course, you can combine both methods. Read this manual carefully, bookmark or print it, because you may need to close your web-browser or restart your personal computer.
- Uninstall suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to delete speedometer.site redirect
- Get rid of speedometer.site redirect from Chrome
- Remove speedometer.site from Mozilla Firefox
- Remove speedometer.site advertisements from IE
- Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
Uninstall suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
We recommend that you start the system cleaning procedure by checking the list of installed programs and delete all unknown or suspicious applications. This is a very important step, as mentioned above, very often the malicious programs such as ad supported software and browser hijackers may be bundled with free programs. Uninstall the unwanted software may get rid of the annoying ads or web browser redirect to unknown or unwanted web-sites.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
Press Windows key , then click Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
First, press “Start” and select “Control Panel”.
It will show the Windows Control Panel as on the image below.
Next, click “Uninstall a program”
It will display a list of all software. Scroll through the all list, and remove any suspicious and unknown applications. To quickly find the latest installed software, we recommend sort programs by date of installation in the Control panel.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to delete speedometer.site redirect
Once the adware is started, it can also alter the internet browser’s shortcuts, adding an argument similar “http://site.address” into the Target field. Due to this, every time you run the browser, it will be redirected to an unwanted ads.
To clear the browser shortcut, right-click to it and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text which starts with “http://” which has been added here. You need to remove it.
When the argument is removed, click the OK button. You need to clean all shortcuts of all your web browsers, as they may be infected too.
Get rid of speedometer.site redirect from Chrome
Reset Chrome settings is a simple way to get rid of the malware and adware, as well as to restore the internet browser’s settings that have been replaced by ad supported software.
- Now start the Google Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will open the Chrome main menu. Select “Settings” option.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Show advanced settings” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset settings” button.
- The Google Chrome will open the reset profile settings page as shown on the image above.
- Next, click the “Reset” button.
- When this procedure is finished, your internet browser’s settings will be restored to their original defaults. This will reset your homepage and search engine by default.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Remove speedometer.site from Mozilla Firefox
If the Mozilla Firefox settings have been changed by the adware, then resetting it to the default state can help you to delete the redirect onto speedometer.site web-page.
First, run the Firefox and click button. It will open the drop-down menu on the right-part of the internet browser. Next, click the Help button () like below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the browser address bar and press Enter. It will open the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown on the image below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, click the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will display the confirmation dialog box, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Firefox will start a process to fix your problems that caused by the adware. When it’s finished, click the “Finish” button
Remove speedometer.site advertisements from IE
First, launch the Internet Explorer, then click the button in the form of gear (). It will show the Tools drop-down menu like below. Next, press the “Internet Options”.
In the Internet Options window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The IE will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as shown on the image below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click on “Reset” button.
You will now need to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.
Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
If the annoying speedometer.site site opens automatically on Windows startup or at equal time intervals, then you need to check the Task Scheduler Library and delete all the tasks that have been created by unwanted applications.
Press Windows and R keys on the keyboard simultaneously. This opens a prompt that called Run. In the text field, type “taskschd.msc” (without the quotes) and click OK. Task Scheduler window opens. In the left-hand side, press “Task Scheduler Library”, as on the image below.
In the middle part you will see a list of installed tasks. Select the first task, its properties will be show just below automatically. Next, click the Actions tab. Pay attention to that it launches on your computer. Found something like “explorer.exe http://site.address” or “chrome.exe http://site.address”, then you need get rid of it. If you are not sure that executes the task, check it through a search engine. If it is a component of the unwanted programs, then this task also should be removed.
Having defined the task that you want to remove, then click on it with the right mouse button and select Delete as shown on the image below.
Repeat this step, if you have found a few tasks that have been created by malicious software. Once is done, close the Task Scheduler window.
How to remove speedometer.site pop-up ads automatically
We recommend using the Malwarebytes Free. You can download and install this tool to detect speedometer.site threat and get rid of it, by clicking on the link below. When installed and updated, the free malware remover will automatically scan and detect all threats present on the system.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
Once installed, the Malwarebytes will try to update itself and when this task is done, press “Scan Now” button for checking your machine for the adware and malware. During the scan it will detect all threats present on your PC. In order to remove all threats, simply press “Quarantine Selected” button.
The Malwarebytes is a free application that you can use to remove all detected folders, files, services, registry entries and so on. To learn more about the Malwarebytes, we recommend you to read and follow the step-by-step guide or the video guide below.
How to block speedometer.site
To increase your security and protect your system against new unwanted advertisements and malicious web sites, you need to use an application that blocks access to dangerous ads and web-sites. Moreover, the program can stop the display of intrusive advertising, that also leads to faster loading of web sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard program by clicking on the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- Once downloading is done, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” window. Follow the prompts.
- When the install is finished, click “Skip” to close it and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see a quick tutorial which will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your machine, AdGuard will start automatically and stop ads, speedometer.site redirects, as well as other harmful or misleading web-pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that is located on your Windows desktop.
If the problem with speedometer.site advertisements is still remained
If MalwareBytes cannot get rid of speedometer.site pop-ups, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for adware, browser hijackers, PUPs, toolbars.
- Download AdwCleaner by clicking on the link below.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: October 9, 2020
- Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once the utility is opened the main screen will appear as shown on the image above.
- Now, click the “Scan” button . This will start scanning the whole computer to find out ad supported software which generates speedometer.site advertisements.
- Once the checking is complete, AdwCleaner will show a scan report. Review the report and then click “Clean” button. It will display a dialog box, click “OK” button.
The following video explains the few simple steps above on how to remove ad-supported software with AdwCleaner.
Once you have finished the instructions outlined above, your computer should be clean from malware and ‘ad supported’ software. The Google Chrome, Firefox, MS Edge and Internet Explorer will no longer display speedometer.site unwanted pop-up ads and redirect you to unknown pages. Unfortunately, if the few simple steps does not help you, then you have caught a new type of adware, and then the best way – ask for help.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon. Next press “Do a system scan only” button.
- Once the system scan is finished, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop.
- Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the annoying speedometer.site .