XP-Shield is a rogue antispyware application that uses scare tactics such as pop-ups and fake system notifications and infects computers via misleading advertising on free download, warez and porn websites, trojans and browser security holes.
During installation, XP-Shield configures itself to run automatically every time, when you start your computer. Once running, XP-Shield will scan your computer and list a large amount of infections, but some of these “infections” are actually legitimate Windows files. Do not delete these files! Then, XP-Shield said that you should purchase the program in order to remove them and protect your computer.
While XP-Shield is running your computer will display fake Windows Security Center called Security Center, that will recommend you register XP-Shield, and fake security alerts from your Windows taskbar. Please ignore these alerts. Computer users are urged to avoid purchasing this bogus program! Use the free removal instructions below in order to remove XP-Shield.
Symptoms in a HijackThis Log
O4 – HKCU\..\Run: [XPShield] D:\PROGRA~1\XPShield\XP-SHI~1.EXE
Use the following instructions to remove XP-Shield (Uninstall instructions).
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-malware (MBAM). Close all programs and Windows on your computer.
- Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application. When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing, make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
- If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
- Once the program has loaded, select “Perform Quick Scan”, then click Scan.
- The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
Note: If you need help with the instructions, then post your questions in our Spyware Removal forum.
XP-Shield creates the following files and folders.
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\XPShield\XP-Shield Web Site.lnk
%ProgramFiles%\XPShield\XP-Shield Web Site.url