If your start page, newtab page and search provider has been replaced to Somethat.com or you get a huge number of advertisements popping up on your system then most probably that your browser is affected with the nasty browser hijacker infection. Browser hijacking is a form of undesired software which imposes various changes to settings of installed web browsers without a user permission, to reroute on malicious, annoying and misleading web-pages. Also, if you are seeing that the existing start page, error page, or search page has been changed to Somethat.com site, then you do not need to wait . Follow the guide below and remove Somethat.com browser hijacker infection ASAP.
Being affected with Somethat.com browser hijacker you will be forced to use its own search provider. It could seem not to be dangerous, but you still should be very careful, since it may display intrusive and malicious ads made to mislead you into buying certain questionable software or products, provide search results which may reroute your internet browser to certain deceptive, misleading or harmful web-pages. We advise that you use only the reliable search provider like Google, Yahoo or Bing.
As well as unwanted browser redirections to Somethat.com, the browser hijacker infection can gather your World Wide Web browsing activity by saving URLs visited, IP addresses, browser version and type, cookie information, Internet Service Provider (ISP) and sites visited. Such kind of behavior can lead to serious security problems or confidential data theft. This is another reason why the browser hijacker that reroutes the browser to Somethat.com, is categorized as potentially unwanted application (PUA).
It is important, don’t use Somethat.com page and do not click on advertisements placed on it, as they can lead you to a more malicious or misleading web-pages. The best option is to use the steps posted below to free your personal computer of browser hijacker, remove the Somethat.com redirect, and thereby revert back your favorite homepage and search engine.
How to remove Somethat.com from Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge
There are several steps to deleting Somethat.com redirect, because it installs itself so deeply into Windows. You need to remove all suspicious and unknown programs, then remove harmful addons from the Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Chrome and IE and other web browsers you’ve installed. Finally, you need to reset your web browser settings to remove any changes Somethat.com hijacker has made, and then scan your personal computer with Zemana Free, MalwareBytes AntiMalware or AdwCleaner to ensure the browser hijacker is fully removed. It will take a while.
To remove Somethat.com, use the following steps:
- Manual Somethat.com removal
- Run free malware removal utilities to completely delete Somethat.com start page
- Run AdBlocker to block Somethat.com and stay safe online
- Why is my browser redirected to Somethat.com?
- To sum up
Manual Somethat.com removal
The useful removal tutorial for the Somethat.com search. The detailed procedure can be followed by anyone as it really does take you step-by-step. If you follow this process to get rid of Somethat.com let us know how you managed by sending us your comments please.
Uninstall potentially unwanted programs using Windows Control Panel
We advise that you begin the PC system cleaning procedure by checking the list of installed applications and uninstall all unknown or dubious apps. This is a very important step, as mentioned above, very often the malicious applications such as ‘ad supported’ software and browser hijackers may be bundled with free software. Delete the unwanted applications can remove the undesired ads or browser redirect.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then press Windows button, next press Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then click “Start” button and click “Control Panel”.
- It will display the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, click “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will display a list of all software installed on the computer.
- Scroll through the all list, and uninstall dubious and unknown applications. To quickly find the latest installed software, we recommend sort applications by date.
See more details in the video tutorial below.
Remove Somethat.com startpage from Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings is a simple way to remove the hijacker, harmful and adware extensions, as well as to restore the browser’s newtab, start page and search provider that have been changed by hijacker.
- First, start the Google Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed plugins. If the list has the add-on labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following instructions: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Advanced” link, which located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, press the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Chrome will open the reset settings dialog box as on the image above.
- Confirm the web-browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Remove Somethat.com homepage from FF
If the Firefox settings like start page, newtab and search provider have been replaced by the hijacker, then resetting it to the default state can help.
First, start the FF. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will show the drop-down menu. Next, press the Help button ().
In the Help menu click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page press on “Refresh Firefox” button as shown on the screen below.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Remove Somethat.com from Internet Explorer
The Microsoft Internet Explorer reset is great if your web-browser is hijacked or you’ve unwanted extensions or toolbars on your internet browser, which installed by a malware.
First, start the Internet Explorer, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will open the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the internet browser, then click the “Internet Options” as shown below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The Internet Explorer will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” prompt. Further, click the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, press the “Reset” button as displayed below.
When the task is finished, click “Close” button. Close the Internet Explorer and restart your system for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your browser’s new tab page, search engine and start page to default state.
Run free malware removal utilities to completely delete Somethat.com start page
In order to completely get rid of Somethat.com, you not only need to uninstall it from the internet browsers, but also remove all its components in your machine including Windows registry entries. We recommend to download and run free removal tools to automatically clean your system of Somethat.com browser hijacker.
How to automatically remove Somethat.com with Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM)
We advise using the Zemana Free. You can download and install Zemana Free to search for and remove Somethat.com from your PC. When installed and updated, the malicious software remover will automatically scan and detect all threats present on the system.
- Visit the following page to download Zemana. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: February 14, 2019
- Once downloading is finished, close all programs and windows on your PC. Open a folder in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is finished, click the “Scan” button to begin scanning your PC system for the hijacker infection responsible for redirects to Somethat.com. This task can take some time, so please be patient. While the Zemana Anti Malware is scanning, you may see number of objects it has identified either as being malicious software.
- Once the scan is finished, you can check all threats detected on your computer. Review the report and then click “Next”. When the clean-up is finished, you can be prompted to reboot your personal computer.
Scan and clean your machine of browser hijacker infection with Malwarebytes
Manual Somethat.com redirect removal requires some computer skills. Some files and registry entries that created by the hijacker infection can be not completely removed. We recommend that use the Malwarebytes Free that are completely free your PC system of hijacker infection. Moreover, the free application will help you to remove malicious software, potentially unwanted programs, adware and toolbars that your computer may be infected too.
- Visit the following page to download MalwareBytes Free. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Category: Security tools
Update: February 5, 2019
- Once the downloading process is finished, close all software and windows on your PC. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is done, press the “Scan Now” button . MalwareBytes AntiMalware utility will begin scanning the whole system to find out browser hijacker which made to reroute your web browser to the Somethat.com page. This task can take some time, so please be patient. During the scan MalwareBytes Free will detect threats exist on your computer.
- When MalwareBytes has finished scanning, the results are displayed in the scan report. Next, you need to click “Quarantine Selected”. Once that process is finished, you can be prompted to reboot your PC.
The following video offers a step-by-step instructions on how to remove hijackers, ad supported software and other malware with MalwareBytes AntiMalware.
Scan your computer and remove Somethat.com with AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner is a free program that made to get rid of malware, potentially unwanted programs, adware and browser hijacker infections from your PC system running MS Windows 10, 8, 7, XP (32-bit and 64-bit). It will allow to identify and get rid of browser hijacker that alters browser settings to replace your default search engine, new tab page and homepage with Somethat.com web page, including its files, folders and registry keys.
- Installing the AdwCleaner is simple. First you will need to download AdwCleaner by clicking on the link below. Save it on your MS Windows desktop.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: April 4, 2019
- Select the file location as Desktop, and then click Save.
- Once the downloading process is finished, start the AdwCleaner, double-click the adwcleaner_xxx.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, press Yes to continue.
- In the AdwCleaner window, press the “Scan” to perform a system scan for the browser hijacker that cause a redirect to Somethat.com site. Depending on your personal computer, the scan may take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. During the scan AdwCleaner will scan for threats exist on your computer.
- Once the scan get completed, AdwCleaner will display a scan report. You may move threats to Quarantine (all selected by default) by simply press “Clean”. If the AdwCleaner will ask you to reboot your machine, click “OK”.
The steps shown in detail in the following video.
Run AdBlocker to block Somethat.com and stay safe online
Use ad-blocker program such as AdGuard in order to block advertisements, malvertisements, pop-ups and online trackers, avoid having to install malicious and adware browser plug-ins and add-ons that affect your system performance and impact your PC system security. Surf the Net anonymously and stay safe online!
Visit the following page to download the latest version of AdGuard for MS Windows. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
After the downloading process is finished, double-click the downloaded file to start it. The “Setup Wizard” window will show up on the computer screen as shown in the following example.
Follow the prompts. AdGuard will then be installed and an icon will be placed on your desktop. A window will show up asking you to confirm that you want to see a quick instructions as displayed on the image below.
Click “Skip” button to close the window and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick guide that will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
Each time, when you run your PC, AdGuard will launch automatically and block ads, Somethat.com redirect, as well as other malicious or misleading pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that may be found on your desktop.
Why is my browser redirected to Somethat.com?
Many browser hijacker infections such as Somethat.com are included in the free programs installation package. In most cases, a user have a chance to disable all included “offers”, but some installers are made to confuse the average users, in order to trick them into installing an adware or potentially unwanted applications. Anyway, easier to prevent the hijacker infection rather than clean up your system after one. So, keep the browser updated (turn on automatic updates), use a good antivirus apps, double check a free software before you start it (do a google search, scan a downloaded file with VirusTotal), avoid malicious and unknown web-sites.
To sum up
Once you’ve done the few simple steps shown above, your computer should be clean from this hijacker and other malware. The FF, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer will no longer show intrusive Somethat.com web site on startup. Unfortunately, if the tutorial does not help you, then you have caught a new browser hijacker, and then the best way – ask for help.
Please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately. Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the intrusive Somethat.com start page.