If your newtab, start page and search engine by default keeps changing back to the unwanted Yahoo Search,then this might be a sign that your browser has been hijacked by hijacker. It’s a type of unwanted software. Scammers use malicious software to take control of your machine’s web browser and modify how and what it displays when you are surfing the Internet. If you’re already a victim of Yahoo Search browser hijacker, then the following few simple steps can assist you free the Chrome, IE, FF and Microsoft Edge from the hackers, boost internet browser security and return browser settings.
A malware which changes current settings of browsers on Yahoo Search usually affects only Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox and MS Edge. However, possible situations, when any other web-browsers will be affected too. The Yahoo Search browser hijacker infection can modify the Target property of web browser’s shortcuts, so every time you start the internet browser, instead of your home page, you will see a completely different page.
Table of contents
- What is Yahoo Search
- Get rid of Yahoo Search virus
- How to remove Yahoo Search redirect without any software
- Delete Yahoo Search related applications through the Control Panel of your computer
- Clean up the web browsers shortcuts that have been hijacked by Yahoo Search
- Remove Yahoo Search from Google Chrome
- Get rid of Yahoo Search from IE
- Remove Yahoo Search from Mozilla Firefox by resetting internet browser settings
- Use free malware removal utilities to completely delete Yahoo Search
- How to remove Yahoo Search redirect without any software
- How to stop Yahoo Search
- Tips to prevent Yahoo Search and other unwanted software
- Finish words
In addition, the Yahoo Search browser hijacker can also modify the search provider selected in the web-browser. When you try to search on the infected web-browser, you will be presented with search results, consisting of ads and Google (or Yahoo, or Bing) search results for your query. Among these search results can occur links that lead to unwanted and ad web-sites.
The Yahoo Search hijacker infection is not a virus, but the virus behaves similarly. As a rootkit hides in the system, modifies web browsers settings, and blocks them from changing. Also this hijacker infection can install additional web-browser addons, extensions and modules that will open advertisements and popups. And finally, the Yahoo Search browser hijacker can gather lots of user data like what web pages you are opening, what you’re looking for the Web and so on. This information, in the future, can be sold to third parties.
We recommend you to clean your computer of hijacker infection as soon as possible. Use the step by step instructions below that will allow to delete Yahoo Search home page and adware, which can be installed onto your PC system along with it.
Get rid of Yahoo Search virus
As with removing adware, malware or potentially unwanted programs, there are few steps you can do. We recommend trying them all. If you do only one part of the instructions, then it should be run malicious software removal utility, because it should remove hijacker infection and block any further infection. But to completely get rid of the Yahoo Search you will have to at least reset your web-browser settings such as homepage, newtab page and default search provider to default state, disinfect system’s web browsers shortcuts, uninstall all unwanted and suspicious applications, and remove browser hijacker infection by malicious software removal tools.
How to delete Yahoo Search redirect without any software
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually delete Yahoo Search from the Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and MS Edge.
Delete Yahoo Search related applications through the Control Panel of your computer
First, you should try to identify and remove the program that causes the appearance of unwanted ads or web browser redirect, using the ‘Uninstall a program’ which is located in the ‘Control panel’.
Press Windows button , then press Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will open the Windows Control Panel as on the image below.
Further, click “Uninstall a program”
It will display a list of all applications installed on your personal computer. Scroll through the all list, and uninstall any suspicious and unknown programs.
Clean up the web browsers shortcuts that have been hijacked by Yahoo Search
When the hijacker is started, it can also modify the web-browser’s shortcuts, adding an argument like “http://site.address” into the Target field. Due to this, every time you launch the web-browser, it will display an unwanted web site.
Click the right mouse button to a desktop shortcut which you use to launch your web browser. Next, select the “Properties” option. Important: necessary to click on the desktop shortcut for the internet browser which is redirected to the Yahoo Search or other annoying site.
Further, necessary to look at the text that is written in the “Target” field. The browser hijacker infection can modify the contents of this field, which describes the file to be launch when you launch your browser. Depending on the web browser you are using, there should be:
- Google Chrome: chrome.exe
- Opera: opera.exe
- Firefox: firefox.exe
- Internet Explorer: iexplore.exe
If you are seeing an unknown text like “http://site.addres” that has been added here, then you should remove it, as on the image below.
Next, press the “OK” button to save the changes. Now, when you start the web-browser from this desktop shortcut, it does not occur automatically redirect on the Yahoo Search web-site or any other annoying web sites. Once the step is complete, we recommend to go to the next step.
Remove Yahoo Search from Google Chrome
Like other modern web browsers, the Chrome has the ability to reset the settings to their default values and thereby restore the start page, new tab page and default search engine that have been modified by the Yahoo Search hijacker infection.
- First start the Google Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will show the Google Chrome main menu. Select “Settings” option.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Show advanced settings” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset settings” button.
- The Chrome will show the reset profile settings page as shown on the screen above.
- Next press the “Reset” button.
- Once this process is done, your web browser’s homepage, new tab page and search engine by default will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of Yahoo Search from IE
If you find that IE web browser settings like homepage, newtab page and search provider by default having been hijacked, then you may return your settings, via the reset web browser procedure.
First, launch the Internet Explorer. Next, click the button in the form of gear (). It will show the Tools drop-down menu, press the “Internet Options” like below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Microsoft Internet Explorer will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as on the image below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then press “Reset” button.
You will now need to reboot your PC for the changes to take effect.
Remove Yahoo Search from Mozilla Firefox by resetting internet browser settings
If the FF settings such as homepage, newtab page and default search engine have been modified by the hijacker, then resetting it to the default state can help.
First, launch the Firefox. Next, press the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will display the drop-down menu. Next, press the Help button ().
In the Help menu click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button as shown below.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Use free malware removal utilities to completely delete Yahoo Search
There are not many good free antimalware programs with high detection ratio. The effectiveness of malware removal utilities depends on various factors, mostly on how often their virus/malware signatures DB are updated in order to effectively detect modern malicious software, adware, hijacker infections and other potentially unwanted applications. We suggest to run several programs, not just one. These programs which listed below will allow you remove all components of the browser hijacker from your disk and Windows registry and thereby delete Yahoo Search.
Automatically remove Yahoo Search start page with Zemana Anti-malware
We recommend using the Zemana Anti-malware that are completely clean your personal computer of the browser hijacker infection. The tool is an advanced malware removal program designed by (c) Zemana lab. It is able to help you remove potentially unwanted programs, browser hijackers, ad-supported software, malware, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your system for free.
- Download Zemana anti malware (ZAM) by clicking on the link below.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: April 20, 2017
- Once downloading is done, close all programs and windows on your personal computer. Open a file location. Double-click on the icon that’s named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once install is finished, click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the browser hijacker infection which cause a reroute to Yahoo Search. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your PC. During the scan it will detect all threats present on your personal computer.
- Once the scan is finished, a list of all threats found is produced. Review the report and then click “Next”. Once disinfection is complete, you can be prompted to restart your system.
Run Malwarebytes to delete browser hijacker infection
Manual Yahoo Search removal requires some computer skills. Some files and registry entries that created by the hijacker infection can be not completely removed. We recommend that use the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your machine of browser hijacker. Moreover, the free application will help you to get rid of malicious software, PUPs, adware (also known as ‘ad-supported’ software) and toolbars that your PC can be infected too.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: November 9, 2017
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your browser will open the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After the download is finished, please close all applications and open windows on your personal computer. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- This will start the “Setup wizard” of Malwarebytes onto your computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Malwarebytes will start and open the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan Now” button for checking your PC for the hijacker and browser’s malicious extensions. This task may take quite a while, so please be patient. When a malicious software, ad-supported software or PUPs are found, the number of the security threats will change accordingly.
- When it has finished scanning your personal computer, it’ll display a scan report.
- Make sure all entries have ‘checkmark’ and press the “Quarantine Selected” button to begin cleaning your PC system. Once the procedure is finished, you may be prompted to restart the PC.
- Close the Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
Delete Yahoo Search hijacker and malicious extensions with AdwCleaner
The AdwCleaner utility is free and easy to use. It can scan and delete browser hijacker infection such as Yahoo Search, malicious software, PUPs and adware in Google Chrome, FF, Internet Explorer and MS Edge web browsers and thereby revert back their default settings (home page, newtab and default search provider). AdwCleaner is powerful enough to find and remove malicious registry entries and files that are hidden on the computer.
- Download AdwCleaner from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: October 27, 2017
- Once the downloading process is finished, double press the AdwCleaner icon. Once this tool is opened, click “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the Yahoo Search browser hijacker . During the scan it’ll detect all threats exist on your computer.
- Once the checking is complete, it will open a list of all threats detected by this utility. Make sure all entries have ‘checkmark’ and press “Clean” button. It will show a prompt, click “OK”.
These few simple steps are shown in detail in the following video guide.
How to stop Yahoo Search
Using an ad-blocking program like AdGuard is an effective way to alleviate the risks. Additionally, ad-blocking programs will also protect you from harmful ads and web-sites, and, of course, stop redirection chain to Yahoo Search and similar web sites.
- Download AdGuard program by clicking on the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: May 10, 2017
- After the download is done, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is finished, press “Skip” to close the setup program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you run your system, AdGuard will launch automatically and stop advertisements, unwanted Yahoo Search page, as well as other dangerous or misleading web pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, which can be found on your desktop.
Tips to prevent Yahoo Search and other unwanted software
Once you have complete the tutorial outlined above, your computer should be clean from malware and browser hijackers. The Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and MS Edge will no longer show Yahoo Search unwanted homepage on startup. Unfortunately, if the step-by-step guide does not help you, then you have caught a new browser hijacker, and then the best way – ask for help.
- Download HijackThis by clicking on the link below and save it to your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon. Next press “Do a system scan only” button.
- When it has finished scanning your PC system, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop.
- Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the unwanted Yahoo Search .