What is Pick Dark?
The cyber threat analysts have determined that Pick Dark is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) from the group of Browser hijackers. Browser hijacker is a kind of software that is created to change the web browser settings without the knowledge or permission of the computer user, and it usually redirects the affected system’s browser to certain advertisement-related web pages. A browser hijacker generates multiple pop-up advertisements, changes the default web-browser search provider or startpage, installs multiple toolbars on the browser, initiates numerous pop ups and redirects user web searches to its own web site. If your web browser is infected by a browser hijacker you may need to complete manual steps or use a malware removal tool to revert changes made to your web browsers.
When you’re performing searches using the internet browser that has been affected by Pick Dark, the search results will be returned from Bing, Yahoo or Google Custom Search. The makers of the hijacker are most probably doing this to earn advertisement profit from the advertisements shown in the search results.
In addition to the above, it has the ability to gather a wide variety of user information which can be later sold to third party companies. You do not know if your home address, account names and passwords are safe. And of course you completely do not know what will happen when you click on any ads on the Pick Dark web site.
How can a browser hijacker get on your personal computer
|Name||Pick Dark, “Pick Dark extension”|
|Type||browser hijacker, search provider hijacker, PUP, home page hijacker, redirect virus|
|Affected Browser Settings||homepage, new tab page URL, search engine|
|Distribution||fake update tools, shady pop-up ads, free applications setup files|
|Symptoms||Advertising pop ups won’t go away. Webpage links redirect to web pages different from what you expected. Your computer starts automatically installing unwanted applications. An unexpected web browser extension appears in your web-browser. Your computer settings are being altered without your request.|
|Removal||Pick Dark removal guide|
How to remove Pick Dark from Windows 10 (8, 7, XP)
Even if you have the up-to-date classic antivirus installed, and you’ve scanned your computer for malicious software and removed anything found, you need to do the guide below. The Pick Dark hijacker removal is not simple as installing another antivirus. Classic antivirus software are not designed to run together and will conflict with each other, or possibly crash Windows. Instead we suggest complete the manual steps below after that run Zemana, MalwareBytes or Hitman Pro, which are free malware removal tools dedicated to find and delete malware such as Pick Dark hijacker. Run these utilities to ensure the hijacker is removed.
To remove Pick Dark, perform the steps below:
- How to manually remove Pick Dark
- Automatic Removal of Pick Dark
- How to stop Pick Dark redirect
How to manually remove Pick Dark
Read this section to know how to manually delete the Pick Dark hijacker. Even if the step-by-step instructions does not work for you, there are several free malicious software removers below that can easily handle such hijackers.
Delete unwanted or recently installed programs
First, you should try to identify and delete the program that causes the appearance of intrusive advertisements or internet browser redirect, using the ‘Uninstall a program’ which is located in the ‘Control panel’.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then click Windows button, next click Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then click “Start” button and click “Control Panel”.
- It will open the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, click “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will open a list of all apps installed on the PC.
- Scroll through the all list, and delete dubious and unknown apps. To quickly find the latest installed software, we recommend sort programs by date.
See more details in the video tutorial below.
Remove Pick Dark hijacker from web browsers
If you’re still getting Pick Dark redirects, then you can try to remove it by removing harmful extensions.
|Google Chrome||Mozilla Firefox|
You can also try to delete Pick Dark hijacker by reset Google Chrome settings.
If you are still experiencing issues with Pick Dark hijacker removal, you need to reset Mozilla Firefox browser.
Another solution to get rid of Pick Dark hijacker from Internet Explorer is reset IE settings.
Automatic Removal of Pick Dark
If you’re unsure how to remove Pick Dark browser hijacker easily, consider using automatic hijacker removal applications that listed below. It will identify the hijacker and help to get rid of it from your computer for free.
How to remove Pick Dark with Zemana AntiMalware
If you need a free utility that can easily scan for and remove Pick Dark hijacker, then use Zemana Anti-Malware. This is a very handy application, which is primarily designed to quickly find and remove adware software and malware hijacking browsers and modifying their settings.
- Download Zemana AntiMalware on your computer by clicking on the following link.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your internet browser will open the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- When the downloading process is finished, please close all apps and open windows on your computer. Next, start a file called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will start the “Setup wizard” of Zemana Anti-Malware onto your computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana AntiMalware will start and show the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan” button to begin scanning your device for the Pick Dark hijacker. This task can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the Zemana AntiMalware utility is checking, you may see count of objects it has identified as being affected by malware.
- After the scan is complete, Zemana AntiMalware will show a list of all threats found by the scan.
- In order to remove all threats, simply click the “Next” button. The tool will delete Pick Dark hijacker. After disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to restart the device.
- Close the Zemana Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Run HitmanPro to delete Pick Dark from the PC
Hitman Pro cleans your PC system from adware, PUPs, unwanted toolbars, web browser plugins and other undesired apps like Pick Dark hijacker. The free removal tool will help you enjoy your PC to its fullest. HitmanPro uses advanced behavioral detection technologies to find if there are unwanted apps in your personal computer. You can review the scan results, and select the items you want to erase.
Installing the HitmanPro is simple. First you will need to download Hitman Pro on your Microsoft Windows Desktop by clicking on the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
Download and use Hitman Pro on your computer. Once started, click “Next” button to perform a system scan for the Pick Dark browser hijacker. While the HitmanPro program is scanning, you can see how many objects it has identified as threat..
Once the scanning is done, HitmanPro will open you the results.
Review the report and then click Next button.
It will display a dialog box, click the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial to delete all malware found.
How to remove Pick Dark with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
We recommend using the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. You can download and install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to find and delete Pick Dark browser hijacker from your personal computer. When installed and updated, this free malicious software remover automatically scans for and removes all threats exist on the computer.
- Installing the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is simple. First you’ll need to download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware by clicking on the following link. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your web-browser will display the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After the download is done, please close all applications and open windows on your computer. Double-click on the icon that’s named MBSetup.
- This will start the Setup wizard of MalwareBytes AntiMalware onto your computer. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will open and display the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button to begin scanning your personal computer for the Pick Dark hijacker. When a malicious software, adware or PUPs are found, the number of the security threats will change accordingly.
- When MalwareBytes Anti-Malware completes the scan, MalwareBytes will show a scan report.
- Next, you need to click the “Quarantine” button. Once disinfection is done, you may be prompted to reboot the PC.
- Close the Anti Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
How to stop Pick Dark redirect
Use ad blocker program like AdGuard in order to stop ads, malvertisements, pop-ups and online trackers, avoid having to install malicious and adware browser plug-ins and add-ons that affect your PC performance and impact your computer security. Surf the Web anonymously and stay safe online!
- First, click the following link, then press the ‘Download’ button in order to download the latest version of AdGuard.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After downloading it, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the setup is done, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your PC system, AdGuard will start automatically and stop undesired advertisements, block Pick Dark redirects, as well as other harmful or misleading websites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, which can be found on your desktop.
To sum up
We suggest that you keep Zemana AntiMalware (to periodically scan your PC system for new hijackers and other malware) and AdGuard (to help you stop annoying popup advertisements and harmful web pages). Moreover, to prevent any browser hijacker, please stay clear of unknown and third party apps, make sure that your antivirus program, turn on the option to scan for PUPs.
If you need more help with Pick Dark related issues, go to here.