What is MovieSearches
MovieSearches is supposed to be a program (browser extension) that will improve the browsing experience, but according to security experts, it is an adware. Adware is a part of software that shows unwanted advertisements to the user of a PC system. The ads produced by adware software are sometimes in the form of a advertising banner, pop up or sometimes in an unclosable window.
Does adware software steal your data? Adware has the ability to gather privacy info about you such as what web-pages you are opening, what you are looking for the Internet and so on. This confidential data, afterwards, may be sold to third parties.
Take a deep breath. Learn everything you should know about MovieSearches removal, how to get rid of undesired advertisements from your web browser and PC system. Find the best free adware and malware removal utilities here!
How does MovieSearches get on your PC system
Usually, adware software gets into your PC system as part of a bundle with free applications, sharing files and other unsafe software which you downloaded from the Internet. The creators of adware software pays software makers for distributing adware within their applications. So, additional programs is often included as part of the setup package. In order to avoid the installation of any adware software: choose only Manual, Custom or Advanced setup option and reject all third-party software in which you are unsure.
|Type||adware software, potentially unwanted application (PUA), pop up virus, pop ups, popup advertisements|
|Related domains||portal.movie-searches.com, feed.movie-searches.com|
|Removal||MovieSearches removal guide|
How to remove MovieSearches adware (removal instructions)
According to cyber threat analysts, MovieSearches adware removal can be complete manually and/or automatically. These tools which are listed below will help you remove adware, malicious browser addons, malware and PUPs . However, if you’re not willing to install other software to remove MovieSearches , then use following instructions to return your computer settings to defaults.
To remove MovieSearches, use the steps below:
- Manual MovieSearches adware removal
- Automatic Removal of MovieSearches
- How to stay safe online
- To sum up
Manual MovieSearches adware removal
Looking for a way to remove adware manually without installing any software? Then this section of the article is just for you. Below are some simple steps you can take. Performing these steps requires basic knowledge of internet browser and Windows setup. If you are not sure that you can follow them, it is better to use free tools listed below that can help you get rid of MovieSearches ads.
Delete dubious software using Windows Control Panel
In order to delete potentially unwanted applications like this adware, open the MS Windows Control Panel and click on “Uninstall a program”. Check the list of installed programs. For the ones you do not know, run an Internet search to see if they are adware, browser hijacker or PUPs. If yes, delete them off. Even if they are just a programs which you do not use, then deleting them off will increase your machine start up time and speed dramatically.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
First, click Windows button , then click Search . Type ‘Control panel’and press Enter as shown on the image below.
When the ‘Control Panel’ opens, click the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as displayed on the image below.
You will see the ‘Uninstall a program’ panel as on the image below.
Very carefully look around the entire list of apps installed on your PC system. Most probably, one of them is the MovieSearches adware. If you’ve many applications installed, you can help simplify the search of harmful programs by sort the list by date of installation. Once you have found a dubious, unwanted or unused program, right click to it, after that press ‘Uninstall’.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
First, click ‘Start’ button and select ‘Control Panel’ at right panel as displayed on the image below.
Once the Windows ‘Control Panel’ opens, you need to click ‘Uninstall a program’ under ‘Programs’ as shown on the screen below.
You will see a list of software installed on your computer. We recommend to sort the list by date of installation to quickly find the apps that were installed last. Most probably, it is the MovieSearches adware software. If you are in doubt, you can always check the program by doing a search for her name in Google, Yahoo or Bing. Once the program which you need to remove is found, simply click on its name, and then click ‘Uninstall’ as shown below.
Remove MovieSearches adware software from Google Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings to delete MovieSearches adware. If you’re still experiencing problems with MovieSearches removal, you need to reset Google Chrome browser to its original settings. This step needs to be performed only if adware has not been removed by the previous steps.
- First run the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will show the Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the plugin labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following instructions: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset” button.
- The Chrome will open the reset profile settings page as on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this task is done, your web-browser’s search engine, newtab page and start page will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Remove MovieSearches from Mozilla Firefox by resetting web browser settings
If the Firefox settings such as homepage, newtab page and default search provider have been modified by the adware, then resetting it to the default state can help. Your saved bookmarks, form auto-fill information and passwords won’t be cleared or changed.
First, run the Mozilla Firefox. Next, press the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will display the drop-down menu. Next, click the Help button ().
In the Help menu click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button as displayed below.
Confirm your action, press the “Refresh Firefox”.
Remove MovieSearches adware from Internet Explorer
By resetting Microsoft Internet Explorer web-browser you restore your web-browser settings to its default state. This is first when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by MovieSearches adware.
First, open the Internet Explorer, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will display the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the web-browser, then press the “Internet Options” as shown in the following example.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The Internet Explorer will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” prompt. Further, click the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, click the “Reset” button as on the image below.
Once the process is complete, press “Close” button. Close the IE and reboot your PC system for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your browser’s default search engine, startpage and newtab page to default state.
Automatic Removal of MovieSearches
It’s very difficult for classic antivirus to detect adware and other kinds of potentially unwanted software. We suggest you run a free anti-adware like Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM), MalwareBytes Anti Malware and Hitman Pro from our list below. These utilities will help you scan and remove trojans, malware, spyware, keyloggers, bothersome and malicious adware from an infected machine.
How to remove MovieSearches with Zemana Free
Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) is a free utility that performs a scan of your PC system and displays if there are existing adware, browser hijackers, viruses, worms, spyware, trojans and other malicious software residing on your computer. If malware is detected, Zemana Anti Malware can automatically remove it. Zemana Free doesn’t conflict with other anti-malware and antivirus programs installed on your system.
Visit the page linked below to download the latest version of Zemana Free for Microsoft Windows. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
When the download is complete, launch it and follow the prompts. Once installed, the Zemana will try to update itself and when this procedure is done, press the “Scan” button to start checking your computer for the MovieSearches adware.
Depending on your computer, the scan may take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the Zemana Free program is scanning, you may see number of objects it has identified as threat. You may remove threats (move to Quarantine) by simply click “Next” button.
The Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) will remove MovieSearches and move the selected threats to the program’s quarantine.
Remove MovieSearches adware software from web-browsers with HitmanPro
In order to make sure that no more malicious folders and files linked to adware software are inside your computer, you must run another effective malicious software scanner. We suggest to use Hitman Pro. No installation is necessary with this utility.
First, click the following link, then click the ‘Download’ button in order to download the latest version of HitmanPro.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
After the downloading process is complete, open the directory in which you saved it and double-click the HitmanPro icon. It will start the Hitman Pro utility. If the User Account Control dialog box will ask you want to run the application, click Yes button to continue.
Next, click “Next” . HitmanPro tool will begin scanning the whole computer to find out the MovieSearches adware software. A scan may take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your computer and the speed of your PC. While the HitmanPro tool is checking, you can see number of objects it has identified as being affected by malicious software.
Once the system scan is done, the results are displayed in the scan report as shown in the following example.
Make sure all items have ‘checkmark’ and press “Next” button. It will open a prompt, click the “Activate free license” button. The Hitman Pro will begin to remove MovieSearches adware. Once disinfection is done, the utility may ask you to reboot your PC.
How to remove MovieSearches with MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM)
If you are still having issues with the MovieSearches — or just wish to scan your computer occasionally for adware and other malicious software — download MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM). It is free for home use, and finds and removes various unwanted apps that attacks your system or degrades system performance. MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) can delete adware software, potentially unwanted programs as well as malicious software, including ransomware and trojans.
- Installing the MalwareBytes Free is simple. First you’ll need to download MalwareBytes Anti Malware by clicking on the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your web-browser will show the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After the download is finished, please close all applications and open windows on your PC system. Double-click on the icon that’s named MBSetup.
- This will run the Setup wizard of MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) onto your machine. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the MalwareBytes AntiMalware will start and display the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button . MalwareBytes Free program will scan through the whole system for the MovieSearches adware software. When a malicious software, adware or PUPs are detected, the count of the security threats will change accordingly.
- Once MalwareBytes Free has completed scanning, MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) will prepare a list of unwanted applications and adware.
- Next, you need to click the “Quarantine” button. When the clean up is complete, you may be prompted to reboot the machine.
- Close the Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
How to stay safe online
It is also critical to protect your browsers from malicious web sites and ads by using an ad blocking program like AdGuard. Security experts says that it will greatly reduce the risk of malware, and potentially save lots of money. Additionally, the AdGuard can also protect your privacy by blocking almost all trackers.
- Installing the AdGuard is simple. First you will need to download AdGuard on your system by clicking on the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After downloading is complete, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is done, click “Skip” to close the setup program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you start your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and stop undesired ads, block malicious and misleading web-sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
To sum up
Once you’ve done the guidance above, your computer should be clean from the MovieSearches adware and other malicious software. The Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox will no longer display any unwanted ads. Unfortunately, if the steps does not help you, then you have caught a new adware, and then the best way – ask for help here.