What is ProgressHelper
ProgressHelper is a PUP (potentially unwanted program) that falls under the category of Adware . Adware installed without the user’s knowledge is a form of malicious software. Once adware get installed in your MAC OS then it start displaying undesired advertisements and pop-ups. In some cases, adware software can promote p*rn webpages and adult products.
Does adware steal your personal information? Adware be able to gather and transmit personal data without your knowledge. Adware be able to track information about web-pages visited, web browser and system information, and your Apple Mac IP address.
Thus, the adware is quite dangerous. So, we recommend you remove it from your Apple Mac immediately. Follow the tutorial presented below to delete ProgressHelper from your computer and Safari, Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
How does ProgressHelper get on your computer
Adware usually gets on your Apple Mac as a part of free programs and installs itself, with or without your knowledge, on your MAC system. This happens especially when you’re installing a free software. The program setup file tricks you into accepting the installation of additional software, which you do not really want.Therefore, always download freeware and paid software from reputable download webpages. Use ONLY custom or manual setup mode and never blindly press Next button.
|Name||ProgressHelper, Progress Helper 1.0 app|
|Type||adware, potentially unwanted application (PUA), pop ups, popup virus, popup ads|
|Removal||ProgressHelper removal guide|
How to remove ProgressHelper adware
When the adware software gets installed on your MAC OS without your knowledge, it is not easy to uninstall. In many cases, there is no Uninstall program which simply uninstall the ProgressHelper adware from your MAC OS. So, we suggest using well-proven free specialized tool like MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. But the best solution to remove adware software will be to perform several manual steps, after that additionally use antimalware utilities.
To remove ProgressHelper, use the steps below:
- How to remove ProgressHelper adware without any software
- Automatic Removal of ProgressHelper
- How to stay safe online
- Finish words
How to remove ProgressHelper adware without any software
The step-by-step guide created by our team will help you manually remove ProgressHelper ads from your internet browser. If you are not good at computers, we suggest that you use the free tools listed below.
Uninstall potentially unwanted programs using the Finder
The best way to begin the computer cleanup is to delete unknown and suspicious programs. Using the Finder you can do this quickly and easily. This step, in spite of its simplicity, should not be ignored, because the removing of unneeded apps can clean up the Safari, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome from pop up ads, hijackers and so on.
Open Finder and click “Applications”.
It will show a list of all apps installed on your MAC OS. Scroll through the all list, and uninstall any suspicious and unknown software. Right click to suspicious application and choose “Move to Trash”. Another way is drag the program from the Applications folder to the Trash.
Most important, scroll through the all list, and move to trash any unknown applications. Don’t forget, choose Finder -> Empty Trash.
Remove ProgressHelper adware from Google Chrome
This step will show you how to reset Chrome browser settings to original state. This can delete ProgressHelper ads and fix some surfing problems, especially after adware infection. It’ll keep your personal information such as browsing history, bookmarks, passwords and web form auto-fill data.
- First start the Google Chrome and press Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will show the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed add-ons. If the list has the add-on labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following tutorial: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Chrome will show the reset profile settings page as shown on the screen above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this process is complete, your web browser’s search engine by default, homepage and new tab will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of ProgressHelper adware software from Mozilla Firefox
If the Mozilla Firefox web browser application is hijacked, then resetting its settings can help. The Reset feature is available on all modern version of Firefox. A reset can fix many issues by restoring Mozilla Firefox settings such as new tab page, search engine and startpage to their original state. However, your themes, bookmarks, history, passwords, and web form auto-fill information will not be deleted.
First, open the Firefox and press button. It will show the drop-down menu on the right-part of the browser. Further, click the Help button () like below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the browser adress bar and press Enter. It will open the “Troubleshooting Information” page like below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, click the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will display the confirmation prompt. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Firefox will start a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the ProgressHelper adware software. After, it is complete, press the “Finish” button.
Delete ProgressHelper from Safari
If you find that Safari web browser settings such as homepage, search engine by default and newtab having been modified by ProgressHelper , then you may return your settings, via the reset internet browser procedure.
Click Safari menu and select “Preferences”.
It will open the Safari Preferences window. Next, click the “Extensions” tab. Look for unknown and suspicious extensions on left panel, choose it, then click the “Uninstall” button. Most important to remove all unknown addons from Safari.
Once complete, click “General” tab. Change the “Default Search Engine” to Google.
Find the “Homepage” and type into textfield “https://www.google.com”.
Automatic Removal of ProgressHelper
Manual removal instructions does not always help to completely get rid of the adware software, as it’s not easy to identify and remove components of adware and all malicious files from hard disk. Therefore, it is recommended that you use malware removal tool to completely remove ProgressHelper off your internet browser. Several free malware removal utilities are currently available that can be used against the adware software. The optimum method would be to use MalwareBytes Free.
How to automatically remove ProgressHelper with MalwareBytes
If you are still having issues with the ProgressHelper adware removal or just wish to scan your MAC OS occasionally for adware software and other malware, then download MalwareBytes. It is free for home use, and finds and deletes various undesired software that attacks your computer or degrades MAC system performance. MalwareBytes Free can remove browser hijacker, adware software, PUPs as well as malicious software, including ransomware and trojans.
- Installing the MalwareBytes Anti Malware is simple. First you’ll need to download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) on your Microsoft Windows Desktop by clicking on the link below.
Malwarebytes Anti-malware (Mac)
Category: Security tools
Update: September 10, 2020
- When the download is done, please close all software and open windows on your MAC OS. Run the downloaded file. Follow the prompts.
- The MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) will launch and show the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan” button . MalwareBytes Anti Malware utility will start scanning the whole Apple Mac to find out ProgressHelper . A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your MAC OS and the speed of your Apple Mac. When a threat is found, the number of the security threats will change accordingly.
- Once the scan is finished, MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) will produce a list of unwanted software and adware.
- Review the results once the tool has complete the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply press the “Remove Selected Items” button.
- Close the Anti Malware and continue with the next step.
How to stay safe online
Run adblocker application like AdGuard in order to stop advertisements, malvertisements, pop-ups and online trackers, avoid having to install malicious and adware browser plug-ins and add-ons that affect your machine performance and impact your MAC security. Surf the Internet anonymously and stay safe online!
AdGuard can be downloaded from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: January 17, 2018
Once the downloading process is complete, run the downloaded file. The “Setup Wizard” window will show up on the computer screen.
Follow the prompts. AdGuard will then be installed. A window will show up asking you to confirm that you want to see a quick tutorial. Click “Skip” button to close the window and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick instructions which will help you get to know AdGuard better.
Each time, when you run your Apple Mac, AdGuard will run automatically and stop unwanted ads, block malicious and misleading web pages.
Once you’ve complete the few simple steps shown above, your machine should be clean from ProgressHelper and other malicious software. The Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Google Chrome will no longer redirect you to various unwanted web sites. Unfortunately, if the few simple steps does not help you, then you have caught a new adware, and then the best way – ask for help here.