According to security researchers, ExpandedProgram is an adware program that targets Mac computers. Adware software delivers unwanted ads on your web-browser. Some of these ads are scams or fake ads designed to trick you. Even the harmless ads can become really irritating. Adware can be installed accidentally and without you knowing about it, when you open email attachments, install freeware.
The worst is, adware can be used to collect marketing-type data about you which can be later sold to third party companies. You do not know if your home address, account names and passwords are safe.
How does ExpandedProgram get on your Apple Mac
Adware software commonly comes on the Apple Mac with free applications. In most cases, it comes without the user’s knowledge. Therefore, many users aren’t even aware that their MAC has been hijacked with PUPs and adware. Please follow the easy rules in order to protect your MAC OS from adware and PUPs: don’t install any suspicious apps, read the user agreement and choose only the Custom, Manual or Advanced installation mode, don’t rush to press the Next button. Also, always try to find a review of the program on the Net. Be careful and attentive!
|Name||ExpandedProgram, Expanded Program 1.0 app|
|Type||adware, PUP (potentially unwanted program), pop-up advertisements, pop-up virus, pop-ups|
|Removal||ExpandedProgram removal guide|
How to Remove ExpandedProgram (removal instructions)
Most commonly adware requires more than a simple uninstall with the help of the Finder in order to be fully removed. For that reason, our team created several removal solutions which we have combined in a detailed guidance. Therefore, if you have the ExpandedProgram adware on your MAC OS and are currently trying to have it removed then feel free to follow the steps below in order to resolve your problem. Some of the steps below will require you to close this website. So, please read the few simple steps carefully, after that bookmark it or open it on your smartphone for later reference.
To remove ExpandedProgram, use the following steps:
- How to manually remove ExpandedProgram
- Automatic Removal of ExpandedProgram adware
- How to stay safe online
- To sum up
How to manually remove ExpandedProgram
In most cases, it is possible to manually remove ExpandedProgram adware. This method does not involve the use of any tricks or removal utilities. You just need to restore the normal settings of the MAC system and web browser. This can be done by following a few simple steps below. If you want to quickly delete adware infection, as well as perform a full scan of your MAC OS, we recommend that you use adware removal utilities, which are listed below.
Removing the ExpandedProgram, check the list of installed software first
The process of adware software removal is generally the same across all versions of Mac OS. To start with, it’s necessary to check the list of installed programs on your computer and delete all unused, unknown and questionable software.
Make sure you have closed all internet browsers and other applications. Next, uninstall any unknown and suspicious software from MAC using the Finder.
Open Finder and click “Applications”.
Look around the entire list of programs installed on your Apple Mac. Most probably, one of them is the ExpandedProgram adware. Select the dubious program or the program that name is not familiar to you and remove it.
Drag the questionable program from the Applications folder to the Trash.
Most important, don’t forget, choose Finder -> Empty Trash.
Remove ExpandedProgram adware software from Google Chrome
Reset Chrome settings to get rid of ExpandedProgram ads. If you are still experiencing problems with adware removal, you need to reset Chrome browser to its original state. This step needs to be performed only if adware has not been removed by the previous steps.
- First launch the Chrome and press Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed addons. If the list has the addon labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guidance: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Chrome will show the reset profile settings page as shown on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this process is complete, your web browser’s startpage, new tab page and search engine will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Remove ExpandedProgram from Mozilla Firefox
Resetting Firefox internet browser will reset all the settings to their original state and will remove ExpandedProgram ads, malicious add-ons and extensions. It will save your personal information such as saved passwords, bookmarks, auto-fill data and open tabs.
First, run the Firefox. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will show the drop-down menu. Next, press the Help button ().
In the Help menu click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button as on the image below.
Confirm your action, press the “Refresh Firefox”.
Delete ExpandedProgram from Safari
If you find that Safari browser settings like new tab, homepage and default search provider having been replaced by ExpandedProgram , then you may restore your settings, via the reset web browser procedure.
Run Safari web-browser. Next, select Preferences from the Safari menu.
First, click the “Security” icon. Here, choose “Block pop-up windows”. It will stop some types of pop ups.
Now, click the “Extensions” icon. Look for dubious extensions on left panel, select it, then click the “Uninstall” button. Most important to delete all questionable plugins from Safari.
Once complete, check your home page and search engine settings. Click “General” tab. Make sure that the “Homepage” field contains the website you want or is empty.
Make sure that the “Search engine” setting shows your preferred search engine. In some versions of Safari, this setting is in the “Search” tab.
Automatic Removal of ExpandedProgram adware
If your MAC system is still infected with ExpandedProgram adware, then the best way of detection and removal is to run an anti-malware scan on the MAC system. Download free malicious software removal tools below and start a full system scan. It will allow you delete all components of the adware software from hardisk and Windows registry.
Automatically delete ExpandedProgram adware software with MalwareBytes Free
We recommend using the MalwareBytes Anti Malware that are fully clean your machine of the adware. This free tool is an advanced malware removal application designed by (c) Malwarebytes lab. This program uses the world’s most popular anti malware technology. It’s able to help you remove ExpandedProgram ads from your internet browsers, PUPs, malware, hijacker, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your MAC OS for free.
- Installing the MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) is simple. First you’ll need to download MalwareBytes AntiMalware on your Microsoft Windows Desktop by clicking on the link below.
Malwarebytes Anti-malware (Mac)
Category: Security tools
Update: July 10, 2018
- When the download is done, close all apps and windows on your Apple Mac. Open a folder in which you saved it. Run the downloaded file and follow the prompts.
- Press the “Scan” button . MalwareBytes program will scan through the whole Apple Mac for the ExpandedProgram adware. Depending on your MAC OS, the scan may take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware program is checking, you can see number of objects it has identified as threat.
- After the scan is finished, MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) will open a list of all items found by the scan. Make sure all items have ‘checkmark’ and click “Remove Selected Items”.
How to stay safe online
Run an adblocker tool such as AdGuard will protect you from harmful advertisements and content. Moreover, you can find that the AdGuard have an option to protect your privacy and block phishing and spam web-sites. Additionally, ad blocker programs will help you to avoid undesired ads and unverified links that also a good way to stay safe online.
- AdGuard can be downloaded from the following link.
AdGuard for Mac download
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: January 17, 2018
- After the download is complete, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the setup is done, click “Skip” to close the setup program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you run your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted advertisements, block malicious and misleading webpages.
To sum up
Once you’ve done the step-by-step guide above, your computer should be clean from ExpandedProgram adware and other malicious software. The Google Chrome, Firefox and Safari will no longer redirect you to the ExpandedProgram ads. Unfortunately, if the instructions does not help you, then you have caught a new adware software, and then the best way – ask for help here.