ArchimedesLookup is an adware program. Adware is a part of software developed to throw advertisements up on your web-browser screen. Adware generates profit for its developer by constantly displaying tons of ads and pop up deals. You might experience a change in your home page or search provider, new tabs opening or even a redirect to shady web pages.
Another reason why you need to remove ArchimedesLookup is its online data-tracking activity. Adware software has the ability to collect your browsing history and sensitive information, including passwords and credit card numbers. In the future, privacy data can be sold to third parties.
How does ArchimedesLookup get on your machine
|Name||ArchimedesLookup, Archimedes Lookup 1.0 app|
|Type||adware software, potentially unwanted application (PUA), pop up ads, pop up virus, popups|
|Removal||ArchimedesLookup removal guide|
How to remove ArchimedesLookup adware
Fortunately, we’ve an effective method which will assist you manually or/and automatically remove ArchimedesLookup ads from your internet browser and bring your internet browser settings, including start page, new tab page and search provider, back to normal. Below you will find a removal tutorial with all the steps you may need to successfully remove adware and its traces. Read this manual carefully, bookmark it or open this page on your smartphone, because you may need to exit your internet browser or restart your computer.
To remove ArchimedesLookup, use the following steps:
- Manual ArchimedesLookup adware software removal
- Automatic Removal of ArchimedesLookup
- How to stay safe online
- Finish words
Manual ArchimedesLookup adware software removal
The step-by-step tutorial will help you manually get rid of ArchimedesLookup adware from the MAC OS. If you have little experience in using computers, we suggest that you use the free utilities listed below.
Remove ArchimedesLookup related software through the Finder
We recommend that you start the Apple Mac cleaning procedure by checking the list of installed programs and uninstall all unknown or dubious applications. This is a very important step, as mentioned above, very often the malicious applications such as adware and browser hijacker infections may be bundled with free software. Uninstall the unwanted programs can get rid of the unwanted ads or web-browser redirect.
Open Finder and click “Applications”.
Carefully browse through the list of installed apps and get rid of all dubious and unknown applications.
After you have found anything dubious that may be the ArchimedesLookup adware or other PUP (potentially unwanted program), then right click this program and choose “Move to Trash”. Once complete, Empty Trash.
Get rid of ArchimedesLookup from Safari
If you find that Safari browser settings like search engine by default, newtab page and home page having been replaced by the ArchimedesLookup adware, then you may return your settings, via the reset web-browser procedure.
Run Safari web browser. Next, choose Preferences from the Safari menu.
First, click the “Security” tab. Here, choose “Block pop-up windows”. It will stop some types of pop-ups.
Now, click the “Extensions” tab. Look for suspicious plugins on left panel, choose it, then press the “Uninstall” button. Most important to delete all dubious extensions from Safari.
Once complete, check your startpage and search engine settings. Click “General” tab. Make sure that the “Homepage” field contains the website you want or is empty.
Make sure that the “Search engine” setting shows your preferred search engine. In some versions of Safari, this setting is in the “Search” tab.
Remove ArchimedesLookup adware software from Chrome
Like other modern web browsers, the Chrome has the ability to reset the settings to their default values and thereby restore the web-browser’s settings like new tab page, home page and search provider by default that have been modified by the ArchimedesLookup adware.
- First start the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed add-ons. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guide: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset” button.
- The Chrome will show the reset profile settings page as shown on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this procedure is finished, your web-browser’s default search engine, new tab page and home page will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Delete ArchimedesLookup from Mozilla Firefox
If the Mozilla Firefox browser is hijacked by ArchimedesLookup and you want to recover the Mozilla Firefox settings back to their default state, then you should follow the step-by-step instructions below. When using the reset feature, your personal information such as passwords, bookmarks, browsing history and web form auto-fill data will be saved.
Launch the Firefox and press the menu button (it looks like three stacked lines) at the top right of the web-browser screen. Next, press the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It will show the slide-out menu.
Select the “Troubleshooting information”. If you are unable to access the Help menu, then type “about:support” in your address bar and press Enter. It bring up the “Troubleshooting Information” page as on the image below.
Click the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the Troubleshooting Information page. Select “Refresh Firefox” in the confirmation dialog box. The Mozilla Firefox will begin a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the ArchimedesLookup adware. After, it’s finished, press the “Finish” button.
Automatic Removal of ArchimedesLookup
If your MAC is still infected with the ArchimedesLookup adware, then the best way of detection and removal is to use an anti-malware scan on the MAC OS. Download free malware removal tools below and run a full system scan. It will help you get rid of all components of the adware software from hardisk and Windows registry.
Run MalwareBytes Free to remove ArchimedesLookup adware software
You can get rid of ArchimedesLookup automatically through the use of MalwareBytes AntiMalware. We suggest this free malware removal utility because it can easily get rid of hijacker, adware software, PUPs and toolbars with all their components such as files, folders and registry entries.
- Click the link below to download the latest version of MalwareBytes Free for Apple Mac.
Malwarebytes Anti-malware (Mac)
Category: Security tools
Update: September 10, 2020
- Once downloading is complete, close all apps and windows on your computer. Open a directory in which you saved it. Run the downloaded file and follow the prompts.
- Click the “Scan” button . MalwareBytes Free application will scan through the whole MAC for the ArchimedesLookup adware. Depending on your computer, the scan may take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the MalwareBytes AntiMalware utility is checking, you can see number of objects it has identified as being affected by malware.
- As the scanning ends, a list of all threats found is created. Make sure to check mark the items which are unsafe and then press “Remove Selected Items”.
How to stay safe online
Use an ad-blocking tool like AdGuard will protect you from harmful ads and content. Moreover, you can find that the AdGuard have an option to protect your privacy and block phishing and spam webpages. Additionally, ad-blocking software will help you to avoid annoying pop-up ads and unverified links that also a good way to stay safe online.
- Download AdGuard from the link below.
AdGuard for Mac download
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: January 17, 2018
- After downloading is finished, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- When the installation is finished, click “Skip” to close the setup program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your Apple Mac, AdGuard will run automatically and stop unwanted ads, block harmful and misleading websites.
Now your Apple Mac should be clean of the ArchimedesLookup adware. We suggest that you keep MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) (to periodically scan your Apple Mac for new adwares and other malware) and AdGuard (to help you block unwanted pop ups and malicious web pages). Moreover, to prevent any adware software, please stay clear of unknown and third party applications.
If you need more help with ArchimedesLookup related issues, go to here.