TotalLetterSearch is a potentially unwanted program that belongs to the Adware group. What you need to know about Adware. Adware is unwanted software created to throw advertisements up on your web-browser screen. TotalLetterSearch adware generates profit for its developer by often showing lots of ads and popup deals. You might experience a change in your startpage or search engine, new tabs opening or even a redirect to misleading webpages.
Another reason why you need to get rid of adware is its online data-tracking activity. TotalLetterSearch adware be able to gather marketing-type data about you (your ip address, what is a webpage you are viewing now, what you are looking for on the Internet, which links you are clicking), which can later transfer to third parties.
|Type||adware software, potentially unwanted application (PUA), pop-up virus, popup advertisements, pop-ups|
|Removal||TotalLetterSearch removal guide|
How does TotalLetterSearch adware get on your machine
To find out how to remove TotalLetterSearch , we suggest to read the tutorial added to this article below. The instructions was prepared by experienced security professionals who discovered a method to delete the adware out of the machine.
How to remove TotalLetterSearch adware software
As with removing adware software, malicious software or PUPs, there are few steps you can do. We suggest trying them all. If you do only one part of the guide, then it should be use malicious software removal tool, because it should remove adware software and block any further infection. But to completely remove TotalLetterSearch adware you will have to at least reset your internet browser settings such as search engine by default, home page and new tab page to default state, remove all unwanted and suspicious programs, and delete adware by malware removal utilities. Read it once, after doing so, please bookmark this page (or open it on your smartphone) as you may need to close your web-browser or reboot your machine.
To remove TotalLetterSearch, complete the steps below:
- How to remove TotalLetterSearch adware software without any software
- Automatic Removal of TotalLetterSearch
- Run AdBlocker to stay safe online
- To sum up
How to remove TotalLetterSearch adware software without any software
Looking for a way to delete TotalLetterSearch adware manually without downloading any utilities? Then this section of the post is just for you. Below are some simple steps you can take. Performing these steps requires basic knowledge of web browser and Microsoft Windows setup. If you doubt that you can follow them, it is better to use free apps listed below that can help you remove TotalLetterSearch adware.
Deleting the TotalLetterSearch, check the list of installed applications first
We advise that you begin the Apple Mac cleaning procedure by checking the list of installed software and delete all unknown or questionable programs. This is a very important step, as mentioned above, very often the malicious software such as adware software and browser hijackers may be bundled with free applications. Delete the unwanted apps can delete the intrusive advertisements or web browser redirect.
Open Finder and click “Applications”.
It will display a list of all applications installed on your MAC OS. Scroll through the all list, and delete any dubious and unknown programs. Right click to suspicious application and choose “Move to Trash”. Another method is drag the program from the Applications folder to the Trash.
Most important, scroll through the all list, and move to trash any unknown applications. Don’t forget, choose Finder -> Empty Trash.
Remove TotalLetterSearch adware from Chrome
Use the Reset web-browser utility of the Chrome to reset all its settings such as default search provider, new tab and home page to original defaults. This is a very useful utility to use, in the case of adware infection.
- First run the Google Chrome and press Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed addons. If the list has the addon labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guidance: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset” button.
- The Google Chrome will open the reset profile settings page as on the image above.
- Next press the “Reset” button.
- Once this procedure is complete, your browser’s search provider, newtab and homepage will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Remove TotalLetterSearch from Mozilla Firefox by resetting web browser settings
If the Mozilla Firefox web browser is redirected to TotalLetterSearch ads and you want to restore the Firefox settings back to their default values, then you should follow the instructions below. Your saved bookmarks, form auto-fill information and passwords won’t be cleared or changed.
Start the Mozilla Firefox and press the menu button (it looks like three stacked lines) at the top right of the web browser screen. Next, click the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It will show the slide-out menu.
Select the “Troubleshooting information”. If you’re unable to access the Help menu, then type “about:support” in your address bar and press Enter. It bring up the “Troubleshooting Information” page similar to the one below.
Click the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the Troubleshooting Information page. Select “Refresh Firefox” in the confirmation prompt. The Firefox will start a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the TotalLetterSearch adware. When, it is complete, click the “Finish” button.
Remove TotalLetterSearch from Safari
By resetting Safari web-browser you return your web-browser settings to its default state. This is basic when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by TotalLetterSearch adware.
Click Safari menu and choose “Preferences”.
It will open the Safari Preferences window. Next, click the “Extensions” tab. Look for unknown and suspicious extensions on left panel, select it, then press the “Uninstall” button. Most important to remove all unknown addons from Safari.
Once complete, click “General” tab. Change the “Default Search Engine” to Google.
Find the “Homepage” and type into textfield “https://www.google.com”.
Automatic Removal of TotalLetterSearch
Is your Mac MAC OS hijacked with adware? Then don’t worry, in the following guide, we are sharing best malware removal tools which can be used to get rid of TotalLetterSearch from the Safari, Firefox and Google Chrome and your computer.
Use MalwareBytes to remove TotalLetterSearch adware
If you’re still having problems with the TotalLetterSearch adware software removal or just wish to check your MAC system occasionally for adware and other malicious software, then download MalwareBytes Free. It is free for home use, and finds and deletes various undesired apps that attacks your MAC system or degrades Apple Mac performance. MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) can get rid of browser hijacker, adware software, potentially unwanted software as well as malicious software, including ransomware and trojans.
- Visit the following page to download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-malware (Mac)
Category: Security tools
Update: July 10, 2018
- Once downloading is finished, close all programs and windows on your MAC OS. Open a directory in which you saved it. Run the downloaded file and follow the prompts.
- Click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan with this utility for the TotalLetterSearch adware software. A system scan may take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your MAC OS. When a malware, adware or potentially unwanted programs are detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the checking is finished.
- When the scan is complete, MalwareBytes Free will show a screen that contains a list of malicious software that has been found. Review the results once the utility has finished the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply click “Remove Selected Items”.
Run AdBlocker to stay safe online
The AdGuard is a very good ad blocker program for the Safari, Mozilla Firefox and Chrome, with active user support. It does a great job by removing certain types of undesired ads, popunders, pop-ups, unwanted newtab pages, and even full page ads and webpage overlay layers. Of course, the AdGuard can stop malicious webpages automatically or by using a custom filter rule.
AdGuard can be downloaded from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: January 17, 2018
After downloading is complete, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen. Follow the prompts.
Each time, when you start your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and stop annoying advertisements, block malicious or misleading web sites.
To sum up
After completing the step-by-step tutorial outlined above, your MAC OS should be clean from TotalLetterSearch adware and other malware. The Safari, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome will no longer display the unwanted TotalLetterSearch ads. Unfortunately, if the tutorial does not help you, then you have caught a new adware, and then the best way – ask for help here.