Q. This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked pop-up scam. Now my computer has pop ups and fake alerts every few minutes. It keeps coming up automatically. I did some searching on the Internet and can’t seem to find the information needed to get rid of it manually. How to get this off my personal computer. Any and all help is appreciated.
Text presented in the “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” POP-UP:
VIRUS ALERT FROM MICROSOFT This computer is BLOCKED Do not close this window and restart your computer Your computer’s registration key is Blocked.
A. Probably a form of adware or malware may cause this to show up. You could try the step-by-step tutorial ‘how remove This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked pop-up scam’ below from our team. These may be helpful to remove this.
What is Adware & How it works? Adware software is form of malicious software that can cause problems for your PC. It can generate numerous additional pop up, banner, pop-under and in-text link advertisements flooding on your web browser; collect your confidential data such as login details, online searches, etc; run in the background and drag down your system running speed; give more chances for other adware, potentially unwanted applications even malware to get on your system.
Even worse, adware can have spyware and keyloggers built into the program, leading to greater damage to your computer and possible invasion of your personal data.
|Name||“This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked”|
|Type||adware, potentially unwanted application (PUA), pop-ups, popup ads, pop-up virus|
|Removal||“This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” scam removal guide|
Follow the guidance below to clean your machine from adware software, as adware software can be a way to infect your computer with more dangerous applications like viruses and trojans. The few simple steps which follow, I’ll show you how to remove adware and thus remove “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” popups from your system forever.
How to Remove “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” popup scam
In the instructions below we will have a look at the adware software and how to get rid of “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” from Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer web browsers for Microsoft Windows OS, natively or by using a few free removal tools. Some of the steps below will require you to shut down this web-page. So, please read the few simple steps carefully, after that bookmark or print it for later reference.
To remove “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” POP-UP SCAM, complete the following steps:
- Get rid of “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” popup without any tools
- How to automatically remove “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” popup scam
- How to automatically delete “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” popups with Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM)
- Remove “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” pop-up scam from web-browsers with HitmanPro
- Automatically get rid of “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” pop-up with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
- Stop “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” pop up scam
- Finish words
Get rid of “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” popup without any tools
If you perform exactly the guide below you should be able to delete the “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” popup scam from the IE, Firefox, MS Edge and Chrome web-browsers.
Remove suspicious apps using Windows Control Panel
Some programs are free only because their installation package contains an adware software. This unwanted software generates money for the developers when it is installed. More often this adware software can be deleted by simply uninstalling it from the ‘Uninstall a Program’ that is located in MS Windows control panel.
Press Windows button , then click Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will display the Windows Control Panel as displayed below.
Further, click “Uninstall a program”
It will open a list of all apps installed on your personal computer. Scroll through the all list, and delete any dubious and unknown apps.
Remove “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” pop up from Google Chrome
Resetting Chrome to default state is useful in uninstalling the “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” pop-up from your internet browser. This method is always advisable to complete if you have trouble in removing changes caused by adware.
- First launch the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will show the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the add-on labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following steps: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset” button.
- The Chrome will display the reset profile settings page as shown on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this procedure is done, your internet browser’s homepage, new tab and search provider will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Remove “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” pop up from Mozilla Firefox
If the Firefox settings including newtab page, search provider by default and startpage have been modified by the adware software, then resetting it to the default state can help. Your saved bookmarks, form auto-fill information and passwords won’t be cleared or changed.
First, run the Mozilla Firefox. Next, press the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will open the drop-down menu. Next, click the Help button ().
In the Help menu press the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button as displayed in the figure below.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Delete “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” pop-ups from IE
In order to recover all web browser settings you need to reset the Microsoft Internet Explorer to the state, which was when the Microsoft Windows was installed on your machine.
First, run the Internet Explorer. Next, click the button in the form of gear (). It will open the Tools drop-down menu, press the “Internet Options” as shown in the following example.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as displayed in the following example. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click “Reset” button.
You will now need to restart your machine for the changes to take effect.
How to automatically remove “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” popup scam
Manual removal guidance may not be for everyone. Each “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” scam removal step above, such as removing suspicious programs, restoring hijacked shortcuts, removing the adware software from system settings, must be performed very carefully. If you are in doubt during any of the steps listed in the manual removal above, then we recommend that you follow the automatic “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” removal steps listed below.
How to automatically delete “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” popups with Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM)
You can download and use the Zemana Free for free. This antimalware utility will scan all the MS Windows registry entries and files in your personal computer along with the system settings and web browser add-ons. If it finds any malware, adware or harmful extension that is causing multiple intrusive ads then the Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) will delete them from your computer completely.
Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your Windows desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
When the download is done, run it and follow the prompts. Once installed, the Zemana will try to update itself and when this process is done, click the “Scan” button to begin checking your personal computer for the adware which cause pop-up scam.
This task may take some time, so please be patient. When a malware, adware software or potentially unwanted apps are detected, the count of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the scanning is finished. Review the scan results and then press “Next” button.
The Zemana Free will remove adware related to the “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” pop up scam.
Remove “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” pop-up scam from web-browsers with HitmanPro
Hitman Pro is a free removal tool. It removes potentially unwanted apps, adware, hijacker infections and undesired web-browser extensions. It’ll identify and get rid of adware software responsible for “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” popups. HitmanPro uses very small machine resources and is a portable program. Moreover, HitmanPro does add another layer of malware protection.
Visit the page linked below to download the latest version of Hitman Pro for Windows. Save it directly to your Windows Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
After the download is finished, open the file location. You will see an icon like below.
Double click the HitmanPro desktop icon. After the utility is launched, you will see a screen as shown in the figure below.
Further, click “Next” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the adware software which cause intrusive “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” scam. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the count of files on your machine and the speed of your PC system. Once Hitman Pro has finished scanning your PC, Hitman Pro will open a screen which contains a list of malicious software that has been detected as displayed below.
When you’re ready, press “Next” button. It will show a prompt, click the “Activate free license” button.
Automatically get rid of “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” pop-up with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
We recommend using the MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM). You can download and install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to detect adware and thereby get rid of “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” popups from your browsers. When installed and updated, this free malicious software remover automatically finds and deletes all threats exist on the system.
- Download MalwareBytes from the link below. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your web-browser will show the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After the downloading process is done, please close all programs and open windows on your system. Double-click on the icon that’s called mb3-setup.
- This will run the “Setup wizard” of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) onto your PC. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will start and show the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan Now” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the adware software that causes “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” pop up scam in your web-browser. This task may take some time, so please be patient. While the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) tool is checking, you may see number of objects it has identified as being infected by malicious software.
- After MalwareBytes Anti Malware completes the scan, MalwareBytes will open a list of detected threats.
- Review the report and then press the “Quarantine Selected” button. After disinfection is complete, you may be prompted to reboot the system.
- Close the AntiMalware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
Stop “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” pop up scam
To put it simply, you need to use an ad-blocker tool (AdGuard, for example). It’ll block and protect you from all misleading web pages like the “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” scam, unwanted advertisements and pop-ups. To be able to do that, the ad-blocker program uses a list of filters. Each filter is a rule that describes a malicious website, an advertising content, a banner and others. The ad blocking program automatically uses these filters, depending on the webpages you are visiting.
- AdGuard can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your Desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- When the download is finished, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- When the install is finished, click “Skip” to close the install program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you run your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and stop undesired advertisements, block “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” scam, as well as other malicious or misleading web sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, that can be found on your desktop.
Now your personal computer should be free of the adware that cause pop up scam. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted ads and intrusive harmful web-pages) and Zemana (to periodically scan your system for new malware, hijackers and adware). Make sure that you have all the Critical Updates recommended for Windows OS. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new browser hijackers, malicious programs and adware software are released.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove “This is a VIRUS. Your computer is blocked” pop up scam from your web-browser, then ask for help here.