Q. SearchGenie pop-ups, how do I turn them off? I have these intrusive popups everytime I use my web browser. How I turn them off? Here’s below how the pop ups looked like when I got it on my web browser. Thank you for any help you give me.
A. If you’re constantly getting undesired SearchGenie popups on your PC system then it indicate that your PC system is already affected with adware (sometimes named ‘ad-supported’ software) or PUP (potentially unwanted program).
How can Adware be dangerous to your PC?
Adware is a part of malicious software that presents unwanted advertisements to the user of a PC. The advertisements produced by adware are sometimes in the form of a advertising link, pop-up or sometimes in an unclosable window.
Adware run in the background when you’re online, and the adware can slow down your PC and affect its performance. There are applications that can remove adware software from your PC system and some of them are free and listed below, such as Zemana, MalwareBytes Free and Hitman Pro.
Does adware steal your confidential data? The adware software is often harmless, but sometimes the adware software you inadvertently download can also be spyware. Spyware can sometimes seek out your confidential information stored on the PC, collect this information and use it to steal your identity.
Take a deep breath. Learn everything you should know about SearchGenie redirect removal, how to get rid of adware software from your web browser and computer. Find the best free adware and malicious software removal tools here!
How to Remove SearchGenie pop-ups (removal tutorial)
To delete SearchGenie from your computer, you must uninstall all suspicious programs and every file that could be related to the adware. Besides, to restore your web browser new tab, home page and default search provider, you should reset the infected internet browsers. As soon as you are finished with SearchGenie pop up ads removal process, we suggest you scan your system with malicious software removal tools listed below. It’ll complete the removal procedure on your PC.
To remove SearchGenie, perform the steps below:
- How to remove SearchGenie pop-ups without any software
- How to automatically remove SearchGenie ads
- Block SearchGenie and other unwanted websites
- How to prevent adware from getting inside your PC
- To sum up
How to remove SearchGenie pop-ups without any software
Manually removing the SearchGenie redirect is also possible, although this approach takes time and technical prowess. You can sometimes find adware software in your computer’s list of installed software and uninstall it as you would any other unwanted application.
Uninstalling the SearchGenie, check the list of installed programs first
The main cause of SearchGenie pop up ads could be PUPs, adware or other unwanted applications that you may have unintentionally installed on the PC system. You need to identify and remove all questionable software.
Press Windows button , then press Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then press “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will show the Windows Control Panel as displayed in the following example.
Further, click “Uninstall a program”
It will open a list of all programs installed on your PC. Scroll through the all list, and remove any suspicious and unknown software.
Remove SearchGenie redirect from Mozilla Firefox by resetting web-browser settings
Resetting your Mozilla Firefox is good initial troubleshooting step for any issues with your web browser application, including the redirect to SearchGenie web site. However, your themes, bookmarks, history, passwords, and web form auto-fill information will not be deleted.
First, launch the Mozilla Firefox and click button. It will open the drop-down menu on the right-part of the web-browser. Further, click the Help button () as displayed below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the web browser adress bar and press Enter. It will open the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown on the image below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, click the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will open the confirmation dialog box. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Mozilla Firefox will begin a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the SearchGenie adware software. Once, it’s finished, click the “Finish” button.
Delete SearchGenie pop up ads from Internet Explorer
If you find that Internet Explorer browser settings such as start page, newtab and search provider had been modified by adware software related to the SearchGenie popup ads, then you may revert back your settings, via the reset web-browser procedure.
First, launch the IE, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will show the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the browser, then press the “Internet Options” as shown on the screen below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The Internet Explorer will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” dialog box. Further, press the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, press the “Reset” button as on the image below.
After the procedure is done, click “Close” button. Close the IE and reboot your machine for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your internet browser’s new tab, home page and search engine by default to default state.
Remove SearchGenie popups from Google Chrome
If you are getting SearchGenie popups, then you can try to delete it by resetting Chrome to its default state. It will also clear cookies, content and site data, temporary and cached data. However, your themes, bookmarks, history, passwords, and web form auto-fill information will not be deleted.
- First, launch the Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will show the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed plugins. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following steps: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, press “Advanced” link, which located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Chrome will show the reset settings dialog box as on the image above.
- Confirm the internet browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
How to automatically remove SearchGenie ads
Spyware, adware software, PUPs and browser hijacker infections can be difficult to remove manually. Do not try to delete this apps without the aid of malicious software removal utilities. In order to fully delete adware from your computer, use professionally developed utilities, such as Zemana, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) and HitmanPro.
Automatically remove SearchGenie pop-ups with Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM)
You can remove SearchGenie advertisements automatically with a help of Zemana Anti-Malware. We suggest this malware removal utility because it can easily remove hijackers, potentially unwanted applications, adware that redirects your browser to SearchGenie web-page with all their components such as folders, files and registry entries.
Visit the page linked below to download the latest version of Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) for Windows. Save it on your Windows desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
Once the download is finished, close all applications and windows on your PC system. Double-click the install file called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. If the “User Account Control” dialog box pops up as shown on the screen below, click the “Yes” button.
It will open the “Setup wizard” which will help you set up Zemana on your system. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
Once setup is complete successfully, Zemana will automatically start and you can see its main screen like below.
Now click the “Scan” button to start checking your PC system for the adware software that causes SearchGenie pop-up ads in your browser. Depending on your system, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. During the scan Zemana will scan for threats present on your computer.
Once Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) has finished scanning, Zemana Free will show a list of all items detected by the scan. Review the results once the tool has done the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply click “Next” button. The Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) will remove adware which causes intrusive SearchGenie pop-ups and move items to the program’s quarantine. After the procedure is finished, you may be prompted to restart the system.
Use Hitman Pro to get rid of SearchGenie redirect
If Zemana Free cannot get rid of this adware, then we suggests to run the Hitman Pro. HitmanPro is a free removal utility for browser hijackers, PUPs, toolbars and adware that cause unwanted SearchGenie popup ads. It is specially made to work as a second scanner for your machine.
Visit the following page to download the latest version of Hitman Pro for MS Windows. Save it on your Windows desktop or in any other place.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
Download and run Hitman Pro on your PC. Once started, click “Next” button . Hitman Pro application will scan through the whole computer for the adware that causes intrusive SearchGenie redirect. This task can take quite a while, so please be patient. When a threat is found, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. .
Once finished, HitmanPro will display you the results.
You may remove threats (move to Quarantine) by simply click Next button.
It will open a dialog box, press the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to remove all malicious software found.
Remove SearchGenie redirect with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM)
We recommend using the MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM). You may download and install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) to scan for adware software and thereby delete SearchGenie pop-ups from your internet browsers. When installed and updated, this free malicious software remover automatically detects and deletes all threats present on the computer.
- Installing the MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) is simple. First you’ll need to download MalwareBytes Free from the following link. Save it on your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: July 25, 2019
- When the download is finished, close all software and windows on your PC. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once setup is complete, click the “Scan Now” button to look for adware that causes SearchGenie advertisements in your web browser. While the utility is scanning, you can see how many objects and files has already scanned.
- After the checking is finished, MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) will show a screen that contains a list of malware that has been found. All detected items will be marked. You can get rid of them all by simply press “Quarantine Selected”. When the cleaning procedure is done, you can be prompted to reboot your computer.
The following video offers a step-by-step guidance on how to remove hijackers, adware software and other malicious software with MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM).
Block SearchGenie and other unwanted websites
To put it simply, you need to use an ad-blocking utility (AdGuard, for example). It will block and protect you from all unwanted web-sites like SearchGenie, advertisements and pop-ups. To be able to do that, the ad blocker program uses a list of filters. Each filter is a rule that describes a malicious web page, an advertising content, a banner and others. The ad-blocker program automatically uses these filters, depending on the web-pages you’re visiting.
- Click the link below to download AdGuard. Save it to your Desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- When downloading is finished, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the installation is finished, press “Skip” to close the setup application and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your PC system, AdGuard will start automatically and stop undesired ads, block SearchGenie, as well as other malicious or misleading web sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, that is located on your desktop.
How to prevent adware from getting inside your PC
To sum up
After completing the step-by-step guide above, your computer should be free from adware that cause intrusive SearchGenie pop up ads and other malware. The Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome will no longer redirect you to various undesired web-sites similar to SearchGenie. Unfortunately, if the few simple steps does not help you, then you have caught a new adware, and then the best way – ask for help here.