Q. I keep getting Movie-river.com pop-up ads. I really don’t wish to have these popping up all while I am trying to use my browser. If someone has any hints would be great!
A. Unwanted advertising pop ups are mostly provided by harmful extensions or adware (also known as ‘adware software’).
What is Adware? An Introduction to Adware.
Adware is a term that originates from ‘ad supported’ software. Most commonly, ‘adware software’ is considered by many to be synonymous with ‘malicious software’. Its purpose is to generate profit for its author by serving unwanted advertisements to a user while the user is browsing the Net.
Other signs of adware can include:
- you experience tons of of unexpected ads
- every time you perform an Internet search, your web-browser is rerouted to another web-site
- there is an unwanted program in the ‘App & Features’ section of MS Windows settings
- you cannot update your security programs
When adware software hijacks your system, it might carry out various harmful tasks. It can analyze the location and which World Wide Web websites you visit, and then present ads to the types of content, goods or services featured there. Adware software makers can gather and sell your browsing information and behavior to third parties.
As evident, the adware is quite dangerous. So, we suggest you remove it from your system sooner. Follow the guide presented below to remove Movie-river.com popup advertisements from the Mozilla Firefox, MS Edge, Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
How to remove Movie-river.com popup ads
To remove Movie-river.com advertisements from your computer, you must remove all suspicious programs and every file that could be related to the adware. Besides, to restore your web browser new tab, start page and search provider, you should reset the affected browsers. As soon as you’re finished with Movie-river.com pop up ads removal procedure, we suggest you scan your machine with malware removal utilities listed below. It’ll complete the removal process on your computer.
To remove Movie-river.com pop-up ads, complete the steps below:
- How to get rid of Movie-river.com pop ups without any software
- Use free malware removal tools to completely get rid of Movie-river.com pop ups
- Stop Movie-river.com popups
- How can you prevent the Movie-river.com ads
- To sum up
How to get rid of Movie-river.com pop ups without any software
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually delete Movie-river.com popup ads from the Chrome, Edge, IE and Firefox. If you do not want to get rid of adware in the manually due to the fact that you are an unskilled computer user, then you can run free removal tools listed below.
Removing the Movie-river.com, check the list of installed programs first
Check out the Windows Control Panel (Programs and Features section) to see all installed programs. We suggest to click on the “Date Installed” in order to sort the list of programs by the date you installed them. If you see any unknown and questionable programs, they are the ones you need to uninstall.
Press Windows button , then press Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then press “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will display the Windows Control Panel like below.
Further, click “Uninstall a program”
It will open a list of all software installed on your machine. Scroll through the all list, and uninstall any questionable and unknown applications.
Remove Movie-river.com from Mozilla Firefox by resetting browser settings
If the Firefox settings such as newtab, homepage and search engine have been modified by the adware, then resetting it to the default state can help. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be lost. This will not affect your history, passwords, bookmarks, and other saved data.
First, launch the Firefox and click button. It will open the drop-down menu on the right-part of the browser. Further, click the Help button () as displayed on the image below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the internet browser adress bar and press Enter. It will show the “Troubleshooting Information” page like below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, click the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will display the confirmation dialog box. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Firefox will begin a task to fix your problems that caused by the Movie-river.com adware. When, it’s complete, press the “Finish” button.
Remove Movie-river.com ads from Internet Explorer
The Internet Explorer reset is great if your browser is hijacked or you have unwanted addo-ons or toolbars on your web browser, that installed by an malware.
First, start the Internet Explorer, then press ‘gear’ icon . It will display the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the internet browser, then press the “Internet Options” like below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The IE will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” dialog box. Further, click the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, click the “Reset” button as on the image below.
After the task is finished, press “Close” button. Close the Microsoft Internet Explorer and restart your PC system for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your internet browser’s search provider by default, new tab page and homepage to default state.
Remove Movie-river.com pop up advertisements from Chrome
Reset Google Chrome will assist you to delete Movie-river.com popups from your web-browser as well as to restore internet browser settings hijacked by adware software. All unwanted, harmful and adware add-ons will also be deleted from the web-browser. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be lost. This will not affect your history, passwords, bookmarks, and other saved data.
- First start the Google Chrome and press Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the add-on labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following steps: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Google Chrome will display the reset profile settings page as on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this task is finished, your web-browser’s start page, newtab page and search engine will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Use free malware removal tools to completely get rid of Movie-river.com pop ups
The manual tutorial above is tedious to use and can not always help to completely remove the Movie-river.com popups. Here I am telling you an automatic solution to remove this adware software from your system completely. Zemana, MalwareBytes Free and HitmanPro are anti-malware utilities that can search for and remove all kinds of malicious software including adware that cause pop-ups.
How to delete Movie-river.com ads with Zemana Free
Zemana is a free tool that performs a scan of your personal computer and displays if there are existing adware software, browser hijackers, viruses, worms, spyware, trojans and other malware residing on your system. If malware is found, Zemana Anti Malware can automatically remove it. Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) does not conflict with other anti malware and antivirus programs installed on your computer.
- Please go to the link below to download Zemana Free. Save it on your Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- After the downloading process is complete, close all apps and windows on your computer. Open a folder in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once install is finished, press the “Scan” button for checking your system for the adware that cause pop ups. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your system and the speed of your system. While the Zemana AntiMalware tool is scanning, you can see how many objects it has identified as being affected by malware.
- When Zemana Anti-Malware has completed scanning, Zemana will open a scan report. All detected items will be marked. You can delete them all by simply click “Next”. Once the cleaning process is complete, you may be prompted to restart your personal computer.
Get rid of Movie-river.com advertisements and harmful extensions with HitmanPro
Hitman Pro is a portable application that requires no hard install to detect and remove adware which causes undesired Movie-river.com popup advertisements. The program itself is small in size (only a few Mb). HitmanPro does not need any drivers and special dlls. It’s probably easier to use than any alternative malware removal tools you’ve ever tried. Hitman Pro works on 64 and 32-bit versions of Windows 10, 8, 7 and XP. It proves that removal tool can be just as effective as the widely known antivirus applications.
Visit the page linked below to download the latest version of HitmanPro for Windows. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
When the downloading process is finished, open the file location. You will see an icon like below.
Double click the HitmanPro desktop icon. When the utility is started, you will see a screen as on the image below.
Further, click “Next” button to perform a system scan for the adware related to the Movie-river.com advertisements. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your system and the speed of your system. When Hitman Pro has completed scanning your machine, Hitman Pro will show a list of all items detected by the scan as on the image below.
When you’re ready, click “Next” button. It will show a prompt, press the “Activate free license” button.
Use MalwareBytes Free to remove Movie-river.com advertisements
If you’re having issues with Movie-river.com popup ads removal, then check out MalwareBytes Free. This is a tool that can help clean up your PC and improve your speeds for free. Find out more below.
Installing the MalwareBytes is simple. First you’ll need to download MalwareBytes Anti Malware from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
When downloading is done, run it and follow the prompts. Once installed, the MalwareBytes Free will try to update itself and when this task is finished, click the “Scan Now” button for scanning your computer for the adware software related to the Movie-river.com pop-up advertisements. A scan may take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the count of files on your computer and the speed of your system. While the MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) is scanning, you may see how many objects it has identified either as being malicious software. In order to remove all items, simply click “Quarantine Selected” button.
The MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) is a free application that you can use to delete all detected folders, files, services, registry entries and so on. To learn more about this malware removal tool, we suggest you to read and follow the step-by-step guidance or the video guide below.
Stop Movie-river.com popups
In order to increase your security and protect your computer against new undesired advertisements and malicious web pages, you need to use ad blocker application that blocks an access to harmful advertisements and webpages. Moreover, the program can block the display of intrusive advertising, that also leads to faster loading of web sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard by clicking on the link below.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After downloading it, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the setup is finished, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you start your personal computer, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted ads, block Movie-river.com, as well as other malicious or misleading webpages. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, which can be found on your desktop.
How can you prevent the Movie-river.com ads
It is very important to pay attention to additional checkboxes during the setup of free software to avoid installing of PUPs, adware software, browser hijackers or other undesired apps. Never install the optional applications that the application wants to install with it. Inattentive free programs download can result in setup of PUPs and adware.
To sum up
Once you’ve complete the step-by-step guide outlined above, your PC system should be free from adware responsible for Movie-river.com pop-ups and other malware. The Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Edge will no longer redirect you to various annoying web-pages like Movie-river.com. Unfortunately, if the tutorial does not help you, then you have caught a new adware, and then the best way – ask for help here.