According to IT security researchers, Package Manager is a potentially unwanted application (PUA) from the group of browser hijackers. Once your internet browser has become the victim of this hijacker, it takes over your web-browser such as Google Chrome, IE, Mozilla Firefox and Edge. Package Manager imposes changes to your web browser’s settings, including newtab page, startpage and search provider, and installs unwanted plugins deep inside your computer. This is the main reason why you need to delete it from your system and revert back your web-browser search provider and start page back to the default.
After the hijack, common symptoms include:
- Modifying the Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer built-in search box and search engine to Package Manager;
- Replacing web browser’s startpage to Package Manager;
- Modifying the ‘newtab’ URL to launch an intrusive web-site.
It’s not a good idea to have an unwanted program such as the Package Manager on your PC. The reason for this is simple, it doing things you do not know about. The hijacker infection can be used to collect lots of your sensitive info which can be later sold to third party companies. You do not know if your home address, account names and passwords are safe. And of course you completely don’t know what will happen when you click on any ads on the Package Manager web site.
In order to delete hijacker which cause Package Manager page to appear from your PC, clean the affected web-browsers and return the Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome and IE settings to its default state, please use the Package Manager removal guide below.
Remove Package Manager from Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge (removal instructions)
The following few simple steps will help you to delete Package Manager homepage from the Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Firefox and MS Edge. Moreover, the tutorial below will help you to delete malicious software like potentially unwanted software, adware and toolbars that your PC may be infected. Please do the tutorial step by step. If you need assist or have any questions, then ask for our assistance or type a comment below. Read this manual carefully, bookmark or print it, because you may need to close your browser or reboot your personal computer.
To remove Package Manager, perform the following steps:
- How to manually delete Package Manager
- How to delete Package Manager automatically with free applications
- How to block Package Manager
- How did you get infected with Package Manager hijacker
- To sum up
How to manually delete Package Manager
Package Manager is a browser hijacker that can rewrite your web browser newtab, start page and default search engine and redirect you to the web pages which may contain tons of advertisements. Not every antivirus program can identify and remove Package Manager easily from the internet browser. Follow the step-by-step instructions below and you can remove hijacker infection by yourself.
Uninstall suspicious applications using MS Windows Control Panel
In order to get rid of potentially unwanted apps like this browser hijacker, open the Microsoft Windows Control Panel and click on “Uninstall a program”. Check the list of installed applications. For the ones you do not know, run an Internet search to see if they are adware software, hijacker or PUPs. If yes, uninstall them off. Even if they are just a programs that you do not use, then uninstalling them off will increase your computer start up time and speed dramatically.
Windows 10, 8.1, 8
Click the MS Windows logo, and then press Search . Type ‘Control panel’and press Enter as displayed in the figure below.
Once the ‘Control Panel’ opens, click the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as shown in the figure below.
Windows 7, Vista, XP
Open Start menu and choose the ‘Control Panel’ at right like below.
Then go to ‘Add/Remove Programs’ or ‘Uninstall a program’ (MS Windows 7 or Vista) like below.
Carefully browse through the list of installed applications and remove all suspicious and unknown programs. We suggest to press ‘Installed programs’ and even sorts all installed applications by date. Once you have found anything questionable that may be the hijacker which redirects your internet browser to unwanted Package Manager webpage or other PUP (potentially unwanted program), then choose this program and click ‘Uninstall’ in the upper part of the window. If the dubious program blocked from removal, then run Revo Uninstaller Freeware to completely get rid of it from your system.
Remove Package Manager from Chrome
In this step we are going to show you how to reset Chrome settings. PUPs such as the Package Manager can make changes to your internet browser settings including start page, new tab page and search provider by default, add toolbars and undesired plugins. By resetting Chrome settings you will delete Package Manager and reset unwanted changes caused by browser hijacker infection. When using the reset feature, your personal information such as passwords, bookmarks, browsing history and web form auto-fill data will be saved.
- First start the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed plugins. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guidance: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Google Chrome will show the reset profile settings page as shown on the screen above.
- Next press the “Reset” button.
- Once this task is done, your web browser’s search provider by default, newtab page and homepage will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Remove Package Manager from Firefox by resetting web browser settings
The Firefox reset will delete unwanted search provider and homepage like Package Manager, modified preferences, extensions and security settings. It will save your personal information such as saved passwords, bookmarks, auto-fill data and open tabs.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and click the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as shown in the figure below.
A small menu will appear, click the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, click “Refresh Firefox” button like below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to revert back your Mozilla Firefox browser settings to their original settings.
Get rid of Package Manager redirect from Microsoft Internet Explorer
If you find that Microsoft Internet Explorer web-browser settings such as new tab, homepage and search engine had been hijacked, then you may return your settings, via the reset browser process.
First, start the Internet Explorer. Next, click the button in the form of gear (). It will open the Tools drop-down menu, click the “Internet Options” as shown on the image below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then press the Reset button. The IE will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window like below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then press “Reset” button.
You will now need to restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
How to delete Package Manager automatically with free applications
If you’re not expert at computer technology, then we suggest to use free removal tools listed below to delete Package Manager redirect for good. The automatic way is highly recommended. It has less steps and easier to implement than the manual method. Moreover, it lower risk of system damage. So, the automatic Package Manager removal is a better option.
How to remove Package Manager with Zemana Anti Malware
Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) is extremely fast and ultra light weight malicious software removal utility. It will assist you remove Package Manager browser hijacker, adware software, potentially unwanted programs and other malicious software. This program gives real-time protection which never slow down your system. Zemana is created for experienced and beginner computer users. The interface of this tool is very easy to use, simple and minimalist.
- Download Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) on your MS Windows Desktop from the following link.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your internet browser will display the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After the download is complete, please close all apps and open windows on your computer. Next, run a file called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will launch the “Setup wizard” of Zemana Anti-Malware onto your computer. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana Free will launch and display the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button . Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) tool will begin scanning the whole machine to find out hijacker infection responsible for Package Manager start page. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your system and the speed of your system. When a threat is found, the number of the security threats will change accordingly.
- After that process is done, a list of all threats detected is produced.
- Review the report and then click the “Next” button. The utility will remove Package Manager hijacker infection and other web-browser’s malicious extensions and move threats to the program’s quarantine. After disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to reboot the PC.
- Close the Zemana AntiMalware and continue with the next step.
Run Hitman Pro to remove Package Manager startpage
All-in-all, HitmanPro is a fantastic utility to free your machine from any unwanted apps like Package Manager browser hijacker and other browser’s malicious addons. The HitmanPro is portable application that meaning, you do not need to install it to run it. HitmanPro is compatible with all versions of MS Windows operating system from Microsoft Windows XP to Windows 10. Both 64-bit and 32-bit systems are supported.
Download HitmanPro from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
Download and use HitmanPro on your computer. Once started, press “Next” button to perform a system scan for the hijacker that causes browsers to open unwanted Package Manager web site. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your PC system. While the HitmanPro is checking, you may see how many objects it has identified either as being malicious software..
When the system scan is done, a list of all threats detected is produced.
Next, you need to press Next button.
It will show a dialog box, press the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial to remove all malware found.
How to automatically remove Package Manager with MalwareBytes Free
If you’re still having problems with the Package Manager — or just wish to check your personal computer occasionally for browser hijacker and other malware — download MalwareBytes AntiMalware. It’s free for home use, and detects and removes various undesired software that attacks your personal computer or degrades system performance. MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) can get rid of adware, potentially unwanted apps as well as malware, including ransomware and trojans.
- Installing the MalwareBytes Anti Malware is simple. First you’ll need to download MalwareBytes Anti Malware on your Windows Desktop from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- After the download is finished, close all apps and windows on your computer. Open a file location. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is done, press the “Scan Now” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the browser hijacker responsible for redirecting your browser to Package Manager web site. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your system. While the MalwareBytes Free application is scanning, you can see how many objects it has identified as threat.
- Once the scanning is finished, MalwareBytes will open a scan report. In order to remove all items, simply click “Quarantine Selected”. When the task is done, you can be prompted to reboot your personal computer.
The following video offers a steps on how to remove hijackers, adware software and other malware with MalwareBytes Free.
How to block Package Manager
If you want to delete annoying ads, internet browser redirections and pop-ups, then install an ad-blocker application such as AdGuard. It can stop Package Manager redirect, ads, popups and block websites from tracking your online activities when using the MS Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Chrome and IE. So, if you like browse the World Wide Web, but you don’t like intrusive advertisements and want to protect your computer from harmful web sites, then the AdGuard is your best choice.
Click the link below to download the latest version of AdGuard for MS Windows. Save it to your Desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
After downloading it, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen like below.
Follow the prompts. Once the installation is finished, you will see a window as shown on the image below.
You can press “Skip” to close the install application and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial that will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your personal computer, AdGuard will run automatically and stop unwanted ads, block Package Manager, as well as other malicious or misleading web-pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that can be found on your desktop.
How did you get infected with Package Manager hijacker
To sum up
Once you have finished the steps above, your computer should be clean from this browser hijacker infection and other malicious software. The Firefox, Chrome, IE and Edge will no longer show undesired Package Manager webpage on startup. Unfortunately, if the steps does not help you, then you have caught a new hijacker, and then the best way – ask for help.
Please create a new question by using the “Ask Question” button in the Questions and Answers. Try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately. Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the intrusive Package Manager redirect.