What is PUP.Optional.SearchManager If you’re reading this post, it means that your antivirus detects the PUP.Optional.SearchManager threat. It indicates that your PC is infected with potentially unwanted program, which is often installs on the system with the free programs. You probably want to know how to get rid of any security threats as well as remove PUP.Optional.SearchManager. In the steps below we will tell you about how to solve your problems.
If you still are not sure that your machine is affected with malicious software, then check your personal computer for the common symptoms of this infection:
- your browser displays ads where previously you have never seen;
- Firefox, Chrome, MS Edge and Microsoft Internet Explorer displays tons of annoying ads;
- web-browser settings like homepage and search provider are hijacked;
- your antivirus detects an infection;
- Internet connection may be slow.
The PUP.Optional.SearchManager infection can steal your private information such as: your ip address, what is a web page you are viewing now, what you are looking for on the Internet, which links you are clicking, and much, much more. This virus may monetize its functionality by collecting data from your browsing sessions and selling it to third party companies. This puts your personal information at a security risk.
Don’t panic because we have got the solution. Here’s a tutorial on how to remove PUP.Optional.SearchManager infection from your machine for free.
How to remove PUP.Optional.SearchManager
There are present several free virus removal utilities. Also it’s possible to delete PUP.Optional.SearchManager infection manually. But we recommend to combine all these ways below into the one removal algorithm. Follow the steps of the instructions. Read it once, after doing so, please print this page as you may need to exit your web-browser or reboot your computer.
To remove PUP.Optional.SearchManager, perform the following steps:
- Delete PUP.Optional.SearchManager related apps through the Control Panel of your system
- Scan and clean your system of PUP.Optional.SearchManager with Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM)
- Use Hitman Pro to remove PUP.Optional.SearchManager from the personal computer
- Run MalwareBytes Free to remove PUP.Optional.SearchManager infection
- Remove PUP.Optional.SearchManager infection from Chrome
- Delete PUP.Optional.SearchManager from Mozilla Firefox
- Delete PUP.Optional.SearchManager infection from IE
- Use AdBlocker to stay safe online
- Finish words
Delete PUP.Optional.SearchManager related apps through the Control Panel of your system
First of all, check the list of installed programs on your PC and uninstall all unknown and recently installed software. If you see an unknown application with incorrect spelling or varying capital letters, it have most likely been installed by malicious software and you should clean it off first with malware removal tool such as Zemana Anti-malware.
Windows 10, 8.1, 8
Click the MS Windows logo, and then click Search . Type ‘Control panel’and press Enter like below.
Once the ‘Control Panel’ opens, click the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as shown on the image below.
Windows 7, Vista, XP
Open Start menu and select the ‘Control Panel’ at right as displayed in the following example.
Then go to ‘Add/Remove Programs’ or ‘Uninstall a program’ (Windows 7 or Vista) as shown in the following example.
Carefully browse through the list of installed applications and delete all dubious and unknown software. We suggest to click ‘Installed programs’ and even sorts all installed applications by date. After you’ve found anything suspicious that may be the virus and other kinds of potential threats such as malicious software and potentially unwanted applications or other PUP (potentially unwanted program), then select this program and click ‘Uninstall’ in the upper part of the window. If the suspicious program blocked from removal, then use Revo Uninstaller Freeware to fully delete it from your computer.
Scan and clean your system of PUP.Optional.SearchManager with Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM)
Zemana Free is a utility which can delete ad-supported software, PUPs, hijacker infections and other malware from your PC easily and for free. Zemana is compatible with most antivirus software. It works under Windows (10 – XP, 32 and 64 bit) and uses minimum of machine resources.
- Visit the page linked below to download the latest version of Zemana Anti Malware for Microsoft Windows. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- When the downloading process is finished, close all applications and windows on your personal computer. Open a folder in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is complete, click the “Scan” button for checking your PC system for the PUP.Optional.SearchManager and other kinds of potential threats like malware and PUPs. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the count of files on your machine and the speed of your computer. During the scan Zemana will scan for threats exist on your system.
- Once the scan is complete, a list of all threats detected is created. Next, you need to click “Next”. Once the procedure is complete, you can be prompted to reboot your system.
Use Hitman Pro to remove PUP.Optional.SearchManager from the personal computer
Hitman Pro is a free removal tool that can be downloaded and run to remove browser hijacker infections, ad-supported software, malware, PUPs, toolbars and other threats from your PC system. You can run this tool to scan for threats even if you have an antivirus or any other security application.
Installing the HitmanPro is simple. First you’ll need to download Hitman Pro on your MS Windows Desktop by clicking on the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
After the download is finished, open the file location and double-click the Hitman Pro icon. It will start the Hitman Pro tool. If the User Account Control prompt will ask you want to run the program, click Yes button to continue.
Next, click “Next” for checking your machine for the PUP.Optional.SearchManager related files, folders and registry keys. A system scan may take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your system. When a malware, adware or potentially unwanted software are found, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the checking is finished.
Once the scanning is finished, you can check all threats detected on your machine as shown below.
Review the results once the utility has done the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply press “Next” button. It will display a prompt, click the “Activate free license” button. The Hitman Pro will delete virus related files, folders and registry keys and add threats to the Quarantine. After disinfection is complete, the tool may ask you to reboot your computer.
Run MalwareBytes Free to remove PUP.Optional.SearchManager infection
Manual PUP.Optional.SearchManager removal requires some computer skills. Some files and registry entries that created by the virus can be not fully removed. We suggest that use the MalwareBytes AntiMalware that are fully free your computer of virus. Moreover, this free application will allow you to delete malware, potentially unwanted apps, adware and toolbars that your machine can be infected too.
Click the link below to download MalwareBytes. Save it directly to your Windows Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
After the download is finished, close all software and windows on your PC. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s called mb3-setup like below.
When the setup begins, you’ll see the “Setup wizard” which will help you install Malwarebytes on your computer.
Once install is finished, you’ll see window as shown in the figure below.
Now click the “Scan Now” button for checking your system for the PUP.Optional.SearchManager and other unwanted software. Depending on your system, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. When a threat is found, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the checking is done.
Once finished, MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) will show a screen which contains a list of malware that has been detected. Next, you need to press “Quarantine Selected” button.
The Malwarebytes will now remove virus and other malware and potentially unwanted apps and move items to the program’s quarantine. Once finished, you may be prompted to reboot your personal computer.
The following video explains few simple steps on how to get rid of browser hijacker infection, ad-supported software and other malicious software with MalwareBytes Anti Malware.
Remove PUP.Optional.SearchManager infection from Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings is a easy way to remove changes to web-browser settings, malicious and ad supported software extensions, as well as to recover the web-browser’s new tab, search provider by default and startpage that have been replaced by PUP.Optional.SearchManager infection.
- First, start the Google Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed add-ons. If the list has the add-on labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following tutorial: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Advanced” link, which located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Chrome will open the reset settings prompt as on the image above.
- Confirm the browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Delete PUP.Optional.SearchManager from Mozilla Firefox
The Firefox reset will remove modified preferences, extensions and security settings. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be lost. This will not affect your history, passwords, bookmarks, and other saved data.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and click the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as displayed below.
A small menu will appear, click the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, click “Refresh Firefox” button as displayed on the image below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to return your Mozilla Firefox web browser settings to their default values.
Delete PUP.Optional.SearchManager infection from IE
By resetting Microsoft Internet Explorer internet browser you revert back your browser settings to its default state. This is good initial when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by the PUP.Optional.SearchManager .
First, run the Internet Explorer. Next, click the button in the form of gear (). It will show the Tools drop-down menu, click the “Internet Options” as displayed in the following example.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as shown below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then press “Reset” button.
You will now need to reboot your PC system for the changes to take effect.
Use AdBlocker to stay safe online
Use an ad-blocking tool like AdGuard will protect you from harmful advertisements and content. Moreover, you can find that the AdGuard have an option to protect your privacy and stop phishing and spam web sites. Additionally, ad blocker programs will help you to avoid intrusive pop up advertisements and unverified links that also a good way to stay safe online.
- Click the following link to download the latest version of AdGuard for Windows. Save it to your Desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After downloading it, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the setup is finished, click “Skip” to close the installation application and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you run your PC system, AdGuard will start automatically and block unwanted ads, as well as other malicious or misleading web-sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, that is located on your desktop.
Now your computer should be clean of the PUP.Optional.SearchManager infection. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you stop unwanted pop-ups and undesired harmful webpages) and Zemana (to periodically scan your computer for new malware, hijacker infections and adware). Make sure that you have all the Critical Updates recommended for Windows OS. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new hijacker infections, harmful applications and ad supported software are released.
If you are still having problems while trying to get rid of PUP.Optional.SearchManager infection from your personal computer, then ask for help here.