What is What is Occamy? Cyber security experts has determined that Occamy (also known as Trojan:Win32/Occamy.B and Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C) is a trojan (malicious software). In many cases, the Occamy virus come bundled with the installers from a free hosting and file sharing web pages. So, install a free software is a a good chance that you will find a bundled malicious software.
The Occamy can hide itself in the system’s memory and files, change certain personal computer settings and block them from changing. Also this virus can download and install: browser extensions that will inject unwanted advertisements within the Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Edge and Mozilla Firefox’s screen; a hijacker that will modify browser’s start page and search provider.
While the Occamy virus is active, you won’t be able to return your system settings. But this does not mean that you should just ignore it or get along with this fact. Because this is not the best option, due to the Occamy you can have problems with your computer and browsers, annoying advertisements and even personal data theft.
So, if you notice that your antivirus detects the Occamy threat, then you don’t need to wait. Complete the steps below and get rid of Occamy without a wait.
Remove Occamy trojan
There are present several free virus removal tools. Also it is possible to remove Occamy virus manually. But we suggest to combine all these ways below into the one removal algorithm. Follow the steps of the tutorial. Read this manual carefully, bookmark or print it, because you may need to shut down your web-browser or restart your PC.
To remove Occamy, complete the following steps:
- Remove potentially unwanted applications using Windows Control Panel
- Remove Occamy virus with Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM)
- Remove Occamy virus and malicious extensions with Hitman Pro
- Scan and free your PC of virus with Malwarebytes
- Delete Occamy from Chrome
- Remove Occamy virus from Internet Explorer
- Remove Occamy from Mozilla Firefox
- Use AdBlocker to stay safe online
- To sum up
Remove potentially unwanted applications using Windows Control Panel
In order to get rid of Occamy, first thing you need to do is to uninstall unknown and suspicious applications from your personal computer using MS Windows control panel. When removing this virus, check the list of installed software and try to find dubious applications and uninstall them all. Pay special attention to recently installed programs, as it is most probably that the Occamy virus сame along with it.
Press Windows button , then press Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will display the Windows Control Panel as on the image below.
Further, press “Uninstall a program”
It will show a list of all programs installed on your machine. Scroll through the all list, and delete any suspicious and unknown programs.
Remove Occamy virus with Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM)
Zemana Free highly recommended, because it can detect security threats such adware and viruss that most ‘classic’ antivirus applications fail to pick up on. Moreover, if you have any Occamy virus removal problems which cannot be fixed by this tool automatically, then Zemana provides 24X7 online assistance from the highly experienced support staff.
- Download Zemana AntiMalware on your MS Windows Desktop by clicking on the link below.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your internet browser will open the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After the downloading process is finished, please close all software and open windows on your computer. Next, launch a file called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will run the “Setup wizard” of Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) onto your PC system. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana will open and open the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button . Zemana application will scan through the whole system for the Occamy virus related files, folders and registry keys. This procedure can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the Zemana Free is checking, you may see number of objects it has identified either as being malicious software.
- When the scan is done, Zemana Free will prepare a list of undesired programs ‘ad supported’ software.
- Review the scan results and then click the “Next” button. The utility will begin to remove Occamy virus and other kinds of potential threats such as malware and PUPs. Once finished, you may be prompted to reboot the PC.
- Close the Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) and continue with the next step.
Remove Occamy virus and malicious extensions with Hitman Pro
Hitman Pro is a completely free (30 day trial) utility. You don’t need expensive ways to get rid of virus and other security threats and other misleading software. HitmanPro will uninstall all the undesired applications like adware and browser hijackers at zero cost.
Visit the following page to download HitmanPro. Save it on your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
When the downloading process is finished, open the directory in which you saved it. You will see an icon like below.
Double click the HitmanPro desktop icon. Once the tool is launched, you will see a screen as shown on the image below.
Further, press “Next” button to perform a system scan with this utility for the Occamy virus and other malware and PUPs. This procedure may take quite a while, so please be patient. When the system scan is finished, Hitman Pro will show you the results as on the image below.
Once you have selected what you wish to get rid of from your PC click “Next” button. It will display a prompt, click the “Activate free license” button.
Scan and free your PC of virus with Malwarebytes
Remove Occamy virus manually is difficult and often this trojan is not completely removed. Therefore, we recommend you to use the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your system. Moreover, the free application will help you to delete malware, potentially unwanted apps, toolbars and adware that your computer can be infected too.
MalwareBytes can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your Microsoft Windows desktop or in any other place.
Category: Security tools
Update: July 25, 2019
When downloading is complete, close all apps and windows on your computer. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s called mb3-setup as shown on the screen below.
When the installation starts, you’ll see the “Setup wizard” which will help you setup Malwarebytes on your computer.
Once install is done, you will see window like below.
Now click the “Scan Now” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the Occamy virus and other security threats. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient. While the MalwareBytes Anti Malware tool is checking, you may see how many objects it has identified as being infected by malicious software.
When that process is done, you can check all items detected on your machine. Review the report and then click “Quarantine Selected” button.
The Malwarebytes will now remove Occamy virus and other kinds of potential threats like malware and PUPs. After the task is finished, you may be prompted to reboot your PC.
The following video explains guidance on how to delete hijacker, ad-supported software and other malware with MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM).
Delete Occamy from Chrome
Run the Reset web-browser utility of the Chrome to reset all its settings to original defaults. This is a very useful tool to use, if your computer is infected by Occamy trojan.
- First, start the Google Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following steps: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Advanced” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Chrome will display the reset settings prompt as on the image above.
- Confirm the internet browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Remove Occamy virus from Internet Explorer
The Internet Explorer reset is great if your internet browser is infected by Occamy trojan or you’ve unwanted extensions or toolbars on your web browser, that installed by a malicious software.
First, run the Microsoft Internet Explorer, click ) button. Next, click “Internet Options” as shown below.
In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, press Reset button. The IE will display the Reset Internet Explorer settings dialog box. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and click Reset button.
You will now need to restart your PC system for the changes to take effect. It will disable malicious and ad-supported browser’s extensions and restore the Internet Explorer’s settings such as new tab, home page and default search provider to default state.
Remove Occamy from Mozilla Firefox
Resetting your Firefox is first troubleshooting step for any issues with your internet browser application. It will keep your personal information like browsing history, bookmarks, passwords and web form auto-fill data.
First, start the Firefox and press button. It will display the drop-down menu on the right-part of the browser. Further, click the Help button () as shown on the image below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the browser adress bar and press Enter. It will show the “Troubleshooting Information” page as displayed below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, click the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will show the confirmation prompt. Further, press the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Mozilla Firefox will start a task to fix your problems that caused by the virus related files, folders and registry keys. When, it is finished, click the “Finish” button.
Use AdBlocker to stay safe online
If you browse the Web, you can’t avoid malicious advertising. But you can protect your internet browser against it. Download and run an ad blocking program. AdGuard is an ad blocking that can filter out lots of of the malicious advertising, blocking dynamic scripts from loading malicious content.
- Download AdGuard on your Windows Desktop by clicking on the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- When downloading is finished, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- When the installation is finished, click “Skip” to close the setup application and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you run your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and block unwanted popup ads, as well as other malicious or misleading sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, which can be found on your desktop.
To sum up
Now your PC should be free of the Occamy virus. We suggest that you keep Zemana Free (to periodically scan your computer for new malicious software and other security threats) and AdGuard (to help you block intrusive advertisements and harmful web-sites). Moreover, to prevent any malicious software, please stay clear of unknown and third party programs, make sure that your antivirus application, turn on the option to find out PUPs.
If you need more help with Occamy virus related issues, go to here.