If your start page, newtab and search engine by default keeps changing back to the annoying web site named Search.galacticagames.com,then it means that unwanted software from the browser hijacker family get installed on your system. It’s a type of malicious software. Scammers use malware to take control of your computer’s web-browser and modify how and what it shows when you are surfing the Internet. If you’re already a victim of Search.galacticagames.com hijacker, then the following guide can help you clean the Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox and MS Edge from the hackers, boost internet browser security and restore browser settings.
Except that the Search.galacticagames.com changes web browser’s startpage and new tab, it also replaces your search engine, which leads to the fact that use of the web-browser’s search becomes uncomfortable. The reason for this is that the search results will consist of tons of ads, links to unwanted and ad web-sites and only the remaining part is search results for your query from well-known search engines like Google or Bing.
The Search.galacticagames.com browser hijacker infection is not a virus, but the virus behaves similarly. As a rootkit hides in the system, alters browsers settings, and blocks them from changing. Also this hijacker infection may install additional browser add ons and modules that will open advertisements and pop-ups. And finally, the Search.galacticagames.com browser hijacker infection can gather lots of personal information about you such as what web pages you are opening, what you are looking for the Net and so on. This information, in the future, can be transferred to third parties.
The Search.galacticagames.com browser hijacker may modify settings of all your typical internet browsers, but often that the unwanted software can also infect all types of web-browsers by changing their desktop shortcuts. Thus forcing the user to see Search.galacticagames.com annoying web-page every time run the browser.
We recommend you to get rid of Search.galacticagames.com homepage and clean your machine of hijacker ASAP, until the presence of the hijacker has not led to even worse consequences. Perform the few simple steps below that will assist you to completely remove Search.galacticagames.com homepage, using only the built-in Windows features and a few of specialized free utilities.
Table of contents
- What is Search.galacticagames.com
- Remove Search.galacticagames.com
- How to manually get rid of Search.galacticagames.com
- Remove all ‘ad supported’ software and other potentially unwanted applications through the MS Windows Control Panel
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to delete Search.galacticagames.com
- Delete Search.galacticagames.com search from FF
- Remove Search.galacticagames.com search from Internet Explorer
- Remove Search.galacticagames.com redirect from Chrome
- Run free malware removal tools to completely remove Search.galacticagames.com search
- How to manually get rid of Search.galacticagames.com
- How to stop Search.galacticagames.com redirect
- Why has my homepage and search provider changed to Search.galacticagames.com?
- To sum up
Fortunately, it is not hard to remove the Search.galacticagames.com hijacker. In the following guidance, we will provide two methods to clean your computer of this browser hijacker. One is the manual removal method and the other is automatic removal method. You can choose the solution that best fits you. Please follow the removal tutorial below to get rid of Search.galacticagames.com right now!
How to manually get rid of Search.galacticagames.com
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually get rid of Search.galacticagames.com search from the Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer and MS Edge.
First of all, check the list of installed programs on your computer and delete all unknown and recently installed software. If you see an unknown program with incorrect spelling or varying capital letters, it have most likely been installed by malware and you should clean it off first with malware removal tool like Zemana Anti-malware.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
First, click the Windows button , then press Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
First, press “Start” and select “Control Panel”.
It will open the Windows Control Panel as shown in the figure below.
Next, press “Uninstall a program”
It will show a list of all programs installed on your computer. Scroll through the all list, and remove any suspicious and unknown applications. To quickly find the latest installed software, we recommend sort applications by date in the Control panel.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to delete Search.galacticagames.com
Unfortunately, the hijacker can also hijack Windows shortcuts (mostly, your browsers shortcuts), so that the Search.galacticagames.com startpage will be opened when you open the Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer or another web-browser.
Click the right mouse button to a desktop shortcut that you use to open your web-browser. Next, select the “Properties” option. Important: necessary to click on the desktop shortcut for the browser which is re-directed to the Search.galacticagames.com or other intrusive page.
Further, necessary to look at the text that is written in the “Target” field. The hijacker can replace the contents of this field, which describes the file to be start when you start your web-browser. Depending on the web browser you are using, there should be:
- Google Chrome: chrome.exe
- Opera: opera.exe
- Firefox: firefox.exe
- Internet Explorer: iexplore.exe
If you are seeing an unknown text such as “http://site.addres” which has been added here, then you should remove it, as shown on the screen below.
Next, click the “OK” button to save the changes. Now, when you launch the web-browser from this desktop shortcut, it does not occur automatically redirect on the Search.galacticagames.com web-site or any other intrusive web-sites. Once the step is finished, we recommend to go to the next step.
Delete Search.galacticagames.com search from FF
If the Firefox browser application is hijacked, then resetting its settings can help. The Reset feature is available on all modern version of Firefox. A reset can fix many issues by restoring Mozilla Firefox settings like home page, newtab page and search provider by default to its default state. It will save your personal information like saved passwords, bookmarks, and open tabs.
Start the Firefox and click the menu button (it looks like three stacked lines) at the top right of the browser screen. Next, click the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It will display the slide-out menu.
Select the “Troubleshooting information”. If you are unable to access the Help menu, then type “about:support” in your address bar and press Enter. It bring up the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown on the image below.
Click the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the Troubleshooting Information page. Select “Refresh Firefox” in the confirmation dialog box. The Firefox will start a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the Search.galacticagames.com browser hijacker. When, it’s done, click the “Finish” button.
Remove Search.galacticagames.com search from Internet Explorer
By resetting IE internet browser you revert back your internet browser settings to its default state. This is basic when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by hijacker such as Search.galacticagames.com.
First, run the Internet Explorer, click ) button. Next, click “Internet Options” as shown on the screen below.
In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, click Reset button. The IE will show the Reset Internet Explorer settings dialog box. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and click Reset button.
You will now need to restart your machine for the changes to take effect. It will delete Search.galacticagames.com browser hijacker, disable malicious and ad-supported web-browser’s extensions and restore the IE’s settings such as home page, new tab page and search engine by default to default state.
Remove Search.galacticagames.com redirect from Chrome
Run the Reset web-browser utility of the Google Chrome to reset all its settings such as homepage, newtab and default search engine to original defaults. This is a very useful utility to use, in the case of internet browser hijacks such as Search.galacticagames.com.
- First, run the Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will display the Chrome main menu, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Show advanced settings” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, press the “Reset settings” button.
- The Google Chrome will display the reset settings prompt as on the image above.
- Confirm the web-browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Run free malware removal tools to completely remove Search.galacticagames.com search
Run malicious software removal utilities to delete Search.galacticagames.com automatically. The free software tools specially designed for browser hijacker, adware and other potentially unwanted programs removal. These tools can remove most of hijacker infection from Google Chrome, FF, Microsoft Edge and IE. Moreover, it may remove all components of Search.galacticagames.com from Windows registry and system drives.
Remove Search.galacticagames.com with Zemana Anti-malware
You can delete Search.galacticagames.com automatically with a help of Zemana Anti-malware. We recommend this malicious software removal utility because it can easily get rid of hijackers, potentially unwanted software, adware and toolbars with all their components such as folders, files and registry entries.
- Download Zemana antimalware (ZAM) from the link below.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- Once the download is finished, close all programs and windows on your PC. Open a folder in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is finished, click the “Scan” button to begin scanning your computer for the Search.galacticagames.com browser hijacker infection and other browser’s malicious plugins. This process may take quite a while, so please be patient. While the tool is scanning, you can see how many objects and files has already scanned.
- When the system scan is finished, the results are displayed in the scan report. Next, you need to click “Next”. Once disinfection is done, you may be prompted to reboot your PC system.
How to automatically get rid of Search.galacticagames.com with Malwarebytes
Manual Search.galacticagames.com home page removal requires some computer skills. Some files and registry entries that created by the hijacker may be not completely removed. We suggest that use the Malwarebytes Free that are completely free your PC of browser hijacker. Moreover, the free program will help you to remove malware, PUPs, ad-supported software and toolbars that your personal computer may be infected too.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your browser will display the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- When the download is finished, please close all programs and open windows on your computer. Double-click on the icon that’s called mb3-setup.
- This will start the “Setup wizard” of Malwarebytes onto your machine. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Malwarebytes will open and show the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan Now” button to start checking your computer for the browser hijacker infection that created to redirect your browser to the Search.galacticagames.com web-site. While the tool is scanning, you can see count of objects it has identified either as being malware.
- When the scanning is done, it’ll open a list of all items detected by this utility.
- All detected threats will be marked. You can get rid of them all by simply press the “Quarantine Selected” button. After the task is complete, you may be prompted to restart the PC.
- Close the Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
If the problem with Search.galacticagames.com is still remained
The AdwCleaner utility is free and easy to use. It can scan and get rid of browser hijacker such as Search.galacticagames.com, malicious software, PUPs and ad supported software in Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, IE and MS Edge web-browsers and thereby return their default settings (newtab, start page and search engine by default). AdwCleaner is powerful enough to find and remove malicious registry entries and files that are hidden on the machine.
- Download AdwCleaner by clicking on the following link.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: April 28, 2022
- Select the file location as Desktop, and then click Save.
- Once the download is finished, start the AdwCleaner, double-click the adwcleaner_xxx.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the AdwCleaner window, press the “Scan” to begin scanning your computer for the hijacker infection that cause a redirect to Search.galacticagames.com page. This process can take quite a while, so please be patient.
- Once it has completed scanning your computer, it’ll show a list of detected threats. In order to remove all items, simply press “Clean”. If the AdwCleaner will ask you to restart your computer, click “OK”.
The tutorial shown in detail in the following video.
How to stop Search.galacticagames.com redirect
In order to increase your security and protect your system against new unwanted advertisements and malicious sites, you need to use ad-blocking program that stops an access to malicious advertisements and web-sites. Moreover, the application can block the show of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of web-sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard program from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- Once the download is finished, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- When the install is finished, press “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your system, AdGuard will start automatically and block advertisements, web pages such Search.galacticagames.com, as well as other harmful or misleading sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, which can be found on your desktop.
Why has my homepage and search provider changed to Search.galacticagames.com?
Usually, Search.galacticagames.com browser hijacker gets into your PC as part of a bundle with freeware, sharing files and other unsafe programs that you downloaded from the Net. The makers of this browser hijacker pays software creators for distributing Search.galacticagames.com browser hijacker within their software. So, additional programs is often included as part of the installer. In order to avoid the install of any browser hijackers such as Search.galacticagames.com: select only Manual, Custom or Advanced install method and uncheck all optional programs in which you are unsure.
To sum up
Once you have done the tutorial outlined above, your computer should be clean from browser hijacker infections, ad-supported software and malicious software. The Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer and Edge will no longer open Search.galacticagames.com unwanted startpage on startup. Unfortunately, if the step-by-step guidance does not help you, then you have caught a new hijacker, and then the best way – ask for help in our Spyware/Malware removal forum.