If the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge opens the Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection alert then you need to know, it is a misleading ads. It has been created to scare you into thinking that your computer is infected with KOOBFACE worm. Do not trust the description of the alert, simply ignore it.
Most often, misleading ads like shown above are caused by adware (also known as ‘ad-supported’ software). The adware changes the Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge settings to open lots of annoying ads on all pages, including web-sites where previously you advertisements have never seen. These advertisements can be varied: pop-up windows, boxes, in-text ads, different sized banners and so on. What is more, the ad supported software, that displays the “Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection” pop-up alerts, may cause your Internet connection to be slow or freeze your browser so that the interface is not updated anymore.
The adware usually affects only the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge by changing the browser’s settings or installing a malicious extensions (addons). Moreover, possible situations, when any other web-browsers will be affected too. The ad supported software will perform a scan of the PC for browser shortcuts and modify them without your permission. When it infects the internet browser shortcuts, it will add the argument such as ‘http://site.address’ into Target property. So, each time you start the web-browser, you will see an unwanted ads sites.
What is more, the ad supported software may open ads depend on a web page that you are visiting. That is, it is clear that this adware, without your permission, steals your private information such as: your ip address, what is a web page you are viewing now, what you are looking for on the Internet, which links you are clicking, and much, much more. The ad supported software may monetize its functionality by collecting data from your browsing sessions and selling it to third party companies. This puts your personal information at a security risk.
We recommend to get rid of the adware, which shows “Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection” popups within your web-browser, as soon as you found this problem, as it can direct you to web-resources which may load other malicious software on your system.
How does Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection pop-ups get installed onto computer
How to manually remove Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection alerts
Without a doubt, the adware is harmful to your system. So you need to quickly and completely remove this dangerous software. To remove this adware, you can use the manual removal which are given below, or use an anti-malware tool for removing malicious software, such as Malwarebytes Anti-malware and AdwCleaner (both are free). I note that we recommend that you use automatic removal, which will allow you to uninstall Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection ads easily and safely. Manual removal is best used only if you are well versed in personal computer or in the case where adware is not removed automatically.
- Remove suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts
- Remove Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection pop-up ads from Chrome
- Uninstall Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection popup ads from Firefox
- Remove Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection popup ads from Microsoft Internet Explorer
Remove suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
Press Windows key , then click Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will open the Windows Control Panel as shown below.
Click “Uninstall a program” It will open a list of all programs. Scroll through the all list, and uninstall any suspicious and unknown programs.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts
Once installed, the adware may add an argument similar “http://site.address” into the Target property of the desktop shortcut for the Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge. Due to this, every time you start the browser, it will display unwanted ads web-pages.
Right click on the browser’s shortcut, click Properties option. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text that begins with “http://”. Remove it or everything after .exe. An example, for Google Chrome you should remove everything after chrome.exe. Click OK to save changes. You need to clean all browser’s shortcuts. So, repeat this step for the Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge.
Remove Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection pop-up ads from Chrome
Reset Chrome settings is a simple way to delete the malicious and ad-supported extensions, as well as to restore the browser’s homepage, new tab page and search engine by default that have been modified by adware.
- Open the Chrome and click on the Menu icon (icon in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will display the Chrome main menu. Click the “Settings” menu.
- Click “Show advanced settings” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- Click the “Reset settings” button, that located at the bottom of the Advanced settings page.
- The Chrome will show the reset settings box as shown on the image above.
- Confirm the browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the guide How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Uninstall Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection popup ads from Firefox
If the Firefox settings have been changed by the ad supported software, then resetting it to the default state can help you to remove the redirect onto Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection advertising banners.
Run the Firefox and press button to open the Tools menu. It opens the drop-down menu on the right-part of the browser. Click on the Help button (). In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type about:support in the web-browser adress bar and press Enter. It will open the “Troubleshooting Information” page. In the upper-right corner of this screen, press the “Refresh Firefox” button. It will open the confirmation dialog box. Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button. The FF will start a task to fix your problems that caused by the ad supported software. Once, it’s done, press the “Finish” button
Remove Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection popup ads from Microsoft Internet Explorer
Run Internet Explorer, press . Click “Internet Options” as shown below. In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next press Reset button. The Internet Explorer will open the Reset Internet Explorer settings prompt. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and press Reset button. You will now need to restart your PC system for the changes to take effect. It will restore the IE’s settings to default state, disable ad-supported browser’s extensions and remove the redirect to the Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection annoying web site.
How to remove “Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection” pop-ups with Antimalware
Remove Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection alerts manually is difficult and often the ad supported software is not completely removed. Therefore, we recommend you to use the MalwareBytes Anti-malware Free that are completely clean your computer. Moreover, the free program will help you to remove malware, internet browser hijacker and toolbars that your computer may be infected too.
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-malware (MBAM) from the link below. Malwarebytes Anti-malware
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- Close all programs and windows on your PC. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that named mbam-setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is complete, click on the “Scan Now” button to begin scanning your computer for the adware which redirects your web-browser to the Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection unwanted site. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, make sure all entries have “checkmark” and click “Remove Selected”. Once disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to Restart.
Block Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection popup ads and other annoying sites
To increase your security and protect your computer against new annoying ads and malicious pages, you need to use program that blocks access to dangerous advertisements and pages. Moreover, the software can block the open of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
Download AdGuard program using the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
After the download is complete, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen as shown below.
Follow the prompts. After installation is complete, you will see a window as shown in the figure below.
You can click “Skip” to close the installation application and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your PC, AdGuard will run automatically and block pop-up ads, as well as other dangerous or misleading web-sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which is located on your Windows desktop.
If the problem with “Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection” pop-ups is still remained
If MalwareBytes Anti-malware cannot remove the Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection pop-up ads, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for adware, browser hijackers, PUPs, toolbars. Also you can ask for help our Myantispyware team below.
- Download AdwCleaner from the link below. AdwCleaner download
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: June 30, 2021
- Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this tool is started, press “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the adware that generates the Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection ads.
- Once AdwCleaner has finished, it will display a scan report. Review the report and then click “Cleaning” button. It will show a prompt. Click “OK”.
How to ask for help the Myantispyware team
If you are seeking a help for Windows Detected KOOBFACE infection pop-ups removal then follow these steps.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop. HijackThis download
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon, and click the button labeled “Do a system scan only”.
- Once the scan is complete, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop
Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem.