AdwCleaner is a free program which scans your computer and removes adware, PUP (potentially unwanted programs), toolbars and browser`s hijackers quickly. This program is created by Xplode a few years ago. Very important AdwCleaner software is often updated, for which many thanks to Xplode.
Of course, there are many software, such monsters as powerful antivirus and antispyware programs, which can to scan and remove various infections. Their use is very necessary, but often we see that these programs are can`t help us to remove adware software. The development of updates in such programs is very slow, of course, after a while the antivirus software learn how to detect and remove something from which we must cure our computer today, but wait a week or month is not always possible, because we need to use a computer now.
AdwCleaner is very different from the powerful antivirus software and the most important difference – it can not protect your computer in real time, but this program has several advantages. You can run this tool to scan for adware even if you have an installed security product. AdwCleaner can automatically update when a new version of definitions is available. AdwCleaner have a small size, is easy to download and perform a scan of your PC quickly to detect a tons of adware software. You do not need to install and uninstall this tool. Simply delete the program after using it.
When you need to use AdwCleaner
1. Browser`s home page hijacked.
When you launch Google Chrome, Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox, it does not open your home page and displays a fake search page with a tons of advertising links like shown below:
2. Default browser`s search engine has been changed to something other.
Adware changes your search engine, so every time you are looking for anything, you will be shown a fake search results.
3. A lot of pop-up ads on Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer.
Adware installs add-ons, which will display thousands of advertising, some of which may contain links to sites with viruses or other malicious software. An example below.
4. Unwanted and annoying web browser toolbars in Chrome, Mozilla and Internet Explorer.
AdwCleaner usage instructions.
- Download AdwCleaner.
- Scan with AdwCleaner.
- Review a scan results.
- Start a cleaning.
- Reboot a computer.
- Uninstall AdwCleaner.
- What to do, if AdwCleaner does not help.
- AdwCleaner video guide.
- AdwCleaner options.
Download AdwCleaner by clicking on the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: January 28, 2017
Once finished, you will see an icon as shown below.
Scan a computer with AdwCleaner
Double click on AdwCleaner icon to run it. This software will try update itself automatically. If your PC is connected to the Internet, then definitions database will be updated from the server, otherwise, the local definitions database is used. Once the process is done, AdwCleaner will display a main screen like below.
Now simply click to Scan button.
Review a scan results.
When AdwCleaner has finished, it will display a scan results as shown below.
To review the scan results you need to look all the tabs one by one by clicking on their names. Once done, uncheck any entries that you do not wish to remove.
Start a cleaning.
Click on the Cleaning button, which will cause AdwCleaner to start a cleaning process.
Once the process is finished, it will ask you to reboot your computer.
Click OK button.
Reboot a computer.
AdwCleaner need to reboot your computer to remove the dlls, files, folders, shortcuts, scheduled tasks and registry entries associated with the various adware that you are removing. Once your PC is loaded, AdwCleaner will open a notepad with a log showing all entries that were removed.
Your system should now be free of an adware.
6. Uninstall AdwCleaner.
AdwCleaner uninstalling process will remove the program itself and all files in Quarantine folder and C:\AdwCleaner folder.
To uninstall AdwCleaner, run it and click File, then Uninstall. It will uninstall AdwCleaner from your computer.
AdwCleaner does not help.
If you are still having a problems, then try to scan your computer with Malwarebytes Anti-malware.
AdwCleaner video guide.
AdwCleaner has a few extra features that you can use if necessary.
- “Reset Proxy settings”. It will reset proxy settings.
- “Reset Winsock settings”. It will reset the Windows winsock settings to fix Internet connection troubles. This is similar to the following command started in command prompt: “netsh winsock reset”. Checked by default!
- “Reset TCP/IP settings”. It will reset TCP/IP settings. This is similar to the following command started in command prompt: “netsh int ip reset”. Important to know, if you are using a fixed ip adress, then you need to setup it again in TCP/IP settings!
- “Reset Firewall settings”. It will reset all firewall rules. This is similar to the following command started in command prompt: “netsh advfirewall reset”.
- “Reset IPSec settings”. It will reset IPSec settings.
- “Reset BITS queue”. It will reset the “Background Intelligent Transfer Service” queue.
- “Reset IE policies”. It will delete all Internet Explorer policies and set the default one.
- “Reset Chrome policies”. It will delete all Google Chrome policies and set the default one.
- “Activate the debug mode”. It will create a report in C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner_dbg_xxxxxx.log containing detailed informations. It is necessary if AdwCleaner does not start or during a scanning or cleanning process you see a crash.