How to remove Antivirus Scan virus (Uninstall instructions)

Antivirus Scan is a malicious program from the same family of malware as Antivirus Action and Antivirus IS. The software pretends to be a legitimate antivirus but, in reality, it is a totally scam. Antivirus Scan will hijack browsers, block legitimate Windows applications, display various fake security alerts and detect numerous false infections in order to trick you into purchasing its full version. Remember, the program is unable to detect and remove any infections, so do not pay for the bogus software, simply ignore all that it will display you.

Like other fake security software, Antivirus Scan is distributed with the help of trojans or other malicious software. Moreover, the authors of of the fake program may also distribute it on social networks (Twitter, My Space, Facebook, etc) and spam emails. Please be careful when opening attachments and downloading files or otherwise you can end up with a rogue program on your computer. Remember that the rogue is a highly dangerous application and you need remove Antivirus Scan as soon as possible!

During installation, the rogue will be configured to start automatically when Windows loads. Once Antivirus Scan is started, it will imitate a system scan and detect a lot of various infections that will not be fixed unless you first purchase the program. Important to know, all of these reported infections are fake and don’t actually exist on your computer! So you can safely ignore the scan results that Antivirus Scan gives you.

While Antivirus Scan is running, it will flood your computer with warnings and fake security alerts. Some of the alerts:

Windows Security alert
Windows reports that computer is infected. Antivirus software
helps to protect your computer against viruses and other
security threats. Click here for the scan your computer. Your
system might be at risk now.

INFILTRATION ALERT
Your computer is being attacked by a Internet
Virus. It could be a password stealing attack, a
trojan – dropper or similar.

Moreover, Antivirus Scan will hijack Internet Explorer so that it will randomly show a warning page which states:

Internet Explorer Warning – visiting this web site may harm your computer!
Most likely causes:
The website contains exploits that can launch a malicious code on your computer
Suspicious network activity detected
There might be an active spyware running on your computer

Of course, like false scan results above, all of these alerts are just a fake. All of them are created in order to convince you that you must purchase the full version of Antivirus Scan and, thus, fix the entire system. So, you can safely ignore the fake warnings and alerts.

As you can see, all Antivirus Scan does is fake and you should stay away from the malicious application! If your PC has been infected with the rogue, then ignore all it gives you and follow the removal instructions below in order to remove Antivirus Scan and any associated malware from your computer for free.

O4 – HKCU\..\Run: [{RANDOM}] %Temp%\{RANDOM}\{RANDOM}.exe

Automatic removal instructions for Antivirus Scan

Step 1. Reboot your computer in Safe mode with networking

Restart your computer.

After hearing your computer beep once during startup, start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.

Instead of Windows loading as normal, Windows Advanced Options menu appears similar to the one below.

safe-mode-how-to
Windows Advanced Options menu

When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe mode with networking and then press ENTER.

Step 2. Reset Internet Explorer Proxy options

Run Internet Explorer, Click Tools -> Internet Options as as shown in the screen below.

Internet Explorer – Tools menu

You will see window similar to the one below.

Internet Explorer – Internet options

Select Connections Tab and click to Lan Settings button. You will see an image similar as shown below.

Internet Explorer – Lan settings

Uncheck “Use a proxy server” box. Click OK to close Lan Settings and Click OK to close Internet Explorer settings.

Step 3. Stop Antivirus Scan from running

Download HijackThis from here. Run it and click Scan button. Look for lines that looks like:

O4 – HKCU\..\Run: [{RANDOM}] {PATH}\Temp\{RANDOM}.exe

Example:

O4 – HKLM\..\Run: [audpdogk] c:\docume~1\user\locals~1\temp\akotrowvc\bcgcihiagnz.exe
O4 – HKCU\..\Run: [audpdogk] C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\akotrowvc\bcgcihiagnz.exe

Note: list of infected items may be different. If you unsure, then check it in Google. Skip this step, if you does not find any malicious lines.

Place a checkmark against each of them. Once you have selected all entries, close all running programs then click once on the “fix checked” button. Close HijackThis.

Step 4. Remove Antivirus Scan associated malware

Select Perform Quick Scan, then click Scan, it will start scanning your computer. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.

Antivirus Scan remover

Make sure all entries have a checkmark at their far left and click “Remove Selected” button to remove Antivirus Scan. MalwareBytes Anti-malware will now remove all of associated Antivirus Scan files and registry keys and add them to the programs’ quarantine. When MalwareBytes Anti-malware has finished removing the infection, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.

Antivirus Scan removal notes

Antivirus Scan creates the following files and folders

%Temp%\{RANDOM}\
%Temp%\{RANDOM}\{RANDOM}.exe

Antivirus Scan creates the following registry keys and values

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PhishingFilter | “Enabled” = “0”
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings | “ProxyOverride” = “”
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings | “ProxyServer” = “http=127.0.0.1:30215″
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings | “ProxyEnable” = “1”
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run | {RANDOM}
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run | {RANDOM}

December 18, 2010 on 10:01 am | In Malware removal, Rogue Anti Spyware | 95 Comments |

1. Your instructions are amazing! it worked straight away!
    oh, i sppent hours trying to fix it, and your instructions had it done in a half hour.

thank you, thank you soooo much!
    i’m off to go brag now,
    thanks once again.

Comment by Lisa — December 28, 2010 #

2. Thank you so much for this guide! Easy to understand for someone who doesn’t know squat about computers, and it worked. Thanks again!

Comment by Anders — December 29, 2010 #

3. Thanks so much. ended up going out and buying a new laptop. wish i would have found this site first. well now i have 2 laptops!

Comment by RichADR — December 31, 2010 #

4. OMG thank you so much. i was about to sell my computer. But thanks to this all of my computers are working. Not even the technition was able to fix it. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

*Note: I accessed this site through my PSP. LOL,right?

Comment by Imn Ottelling — December 31, 2010 #

5. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Tony — January 1, 2011 #

6. Brilliant tutorial, thank you so much. Laptop healed in under 30 minutes!

Comment by Nic — January 1, 2011 #

7. I still need help! Everything was workong brilliantly until i got to where you had to cliick on the link because im on my i podand the virus thing has my internet blocked so i cant get to it!

Comment by Jade — January 1, 2011 #

8. Jade, try repeat the step 2 above and download the suggested programs once again.

Comment by Patrik — January 1, 2011 #

9. I consider you guys to be the true new cyber superheroes. Taking the time to protect innocent folks from the scum-sucking, low life, predatory pond slime who deal innocent people misery. Thank you so very much. I’m buying your product.

Comment by Rob — January 2, 2011 #

10. I need help! My malware is able to scan but it does not detect hkey as a trojan and when I perform a quick scan no objects are detected. I still have the Antivirus Scan virus!

Comment by nguyen — January 2, 2011 #

11. Thanks for the tutorial. While I was at it, I found out that the following entry in hijackThis refers to an infected file for the Antivirus System as well.

R1 – HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:59274

Once again thanks a lot for such a tutorial which is so easy to follow.

Comment by Saugata — January 2, 2011 #

12. When I did all the steps and restarted the computer I was attempting to fix, the computer did restart, but it entered a blank black screen with the words: “Missing operating system_”.

What is this supposed to mean? Could the entire operating system of the computer be compromised? Is the virus software programmed to react in such a way to external influences?

Comment by Isaac — January 3, 2011 #

13. Nevermind guys. I manually shut the computer down by pressing the power button and got it back running just fine. Cheers. =)

Comment by Isaac — January 3, 2011 #

14. I got this from the lakeside collection website. i downloaded numerous things and then i found this website did it one two three. and now i cant get the other things off my computer. Just my luck. Thank you so much for helping me get this off my computer!!

Comment by cheyenne — January 3, 2011 #

15. everytime i do every step the internet will not work in safe mode and when i try without safe mode the lan settings keep changing back to “use proxy server” also, the antivirus will not let me start either malware software… i am becoming a bit frustrated with this, please help >>

Comment by Mickey — January 3, 2011 #

16. Thank you so much! Struggled with this for several hours on my own, and your guide saved the day.

THANK YOU!

Comment by tunasampler — January 4, 2011 #

17. nguyen, try use HijackThis. Look the step 3 above.

Comment by Patrik — January 4, 2011 #

18. Mickey, start a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will help you to remove this malware in Normal mode.

Comment by Patrik — January 4, 2011 #

19. I follow step three but malwarebytes isn’t finding any infections

Comment by brent — January 4, 2011 #

20. I updated my malware and that fixed the problem. thanks for the great tips

Comment by brent — January 4, 2011 #

21. Thanks for the easy instructions! This has saved my computer at work and at home!

Comment by Layne — January 4, 2011 #

22. Followed your instructions, which were easy and comprehensible for a non-geek like me – it worked. Thank you so so much!

Comment by Anna — January 4, 2011 #

23. These instrucctions SAVED MY COMPUTER!! Thank you so much for all ur help!:)

Comment by trevor — January 4, 2011 #

24. anything i download of these instructions will not open, due to the virus on my computer im guessing. It wont let me run anything so getting rid of the virus seems to be impossible. what do i do??

Comment by Harmony — January 4, 2011 #

25. My sisters laptop had this happen. I followed the guide step by step and it worked perfectly. Thank you so much. One question though, should i leave the malwarebytes anti-malware software on the computer or delete it? She has mcafee on her computer

Comment by Peter — January 4, 2011 #

Im in the middle of doing it now…how do i know which files to check in hijackthis?? Is it all the files that have HKCU or HKLM at the start?? I have 9 of them….

Comment by joanne — January 5, 2011 #

27. Actually iv lots more than 9….some are gobildeegook and some lool like proper files…. Still confused over which to delete!!

Comment by joanne — January 5, 2011 #

28. I have followed all the steps and my computer is still infected with the antivirus software. Any suggestions?

Comment by kirstin — January 5, 2011 #

29. I followed the instructions and the antivirus scan is removed. However, I can’t access to the internet after. Is there any way to restore my internet connection?

Comment by Linda — January 5, 2011 #

30. Thanks, Haha Antivirus scan freaks YOU SUCK!. Once again thanks heaps too you guys :)

Comment by Tyson — January 6, 2011 #

31. Omg I love u guyss I couldn’t get my essay printed out cus it was affected. I was freaking out but thanks to you guys I was able to get an A on it thanks. Ur a lifesavor

Comment by Tony — January 6, 2011 #

32. You saved my baby!!! Thank you sooo much.. This is fucking awesome!! :)

Comment by Jemand — January 7, 2011 #

33. Peter, you can leave Malwarebytes. Its a good malware and spyware remover.

Comment by Patrik — January 8, 2011 #

34. joane, if you unsure, then best way is start a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will help you.

Comment by Patrik — January 8, 2011 #

35. kirstin, then ask for help in our Spyware removal forum. Link in my previous comment.

Comment by Patrik — January 8, 2011 #

36. Linda, you need to reset proxy settings of Internet Explorer. Repeat the step 2 above.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — January 8, 2011 #

37. thanks a lot…bro…..thank u very much…..

Comment by brijesh — January 8, 2011 #

38. This worked of course, but the goddamned McAfee Antivirus didnt even find or stop the antivirus scan virus, thats what pissed me off. Im going to ask for my money back!

Comment by Rav — January 8, 2011 #

39. Thanks a lot for this blog… I was able to fix my computer by following the steps…

Comment by Saurabh — January 9, 2011 #

40. Men thank you so much!
    no problems at all after following this post!
    for real just awesome!

Comment by ottoman — January 9, 2011 #

41. Thank you so much….this worked fantastic

Comment by j — January 10, 2011 #

42. Spot on. Thanks a billion!

Comment by Bob Rivera — January 10, 2011 #

43. This worked for me and was very easy, but now my problem is, IE will not connect when i reestablish the proxy. Is there anything I can do to return those settings to normal, and have IE bring up internet?

Comment by Bradley — January 10, 2011 #

44. Help!!
    The Antivirus scan does not let me download the HiJack program and just closes it automatically! What can I do?? Thank you.

Comment by Mandy — January 10, 2011 #

45. It said i couldn’t install HijackThis is safe mode, so I went back to normal mode. Every time I uncheck “use a proxy sever” and try to download HijackThis, the malware puts it back to the proxy server, so I can’t access any web pages. I’ve been trying for over an hour. Please help!

Comment by Diamond — January 10, 2011 #

46. Bradley, repeat the step 2 above.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — January 11, 2011 #

47. way to rock guys

Comment by thomas — January 12, 2011 #

48. Hi I need to download malwareBytes but my Internet has been switch to emergency mode which I can’t click on tools to set the proxy help please

Comment by Koi — January 12, 2011 #

49. I found the file to delete with hijack this, but malware bytes wont find any infected objects. I downloaded the mbam-rules.exe update to my external hard drive, put it on my laptop and ran it. It still says its outdated and wont find any infected files. what should i do??

Comment by shane — January 13, 2011 #

50. I am trying to fix this, but I can’t get my laptop into safe mode. F8 doesn’t work and I tried to go to run..misconfig…but the virus won’t let me go any farther.

Comment by Raina — January 14, 2011 #

51. It was amazing!!!! Briallint!!! Thank youuuuuu

Comment by Selin — January 14, 2011 #

52. I think I love you? No not really, but thank you so very much xD I keep coming back to this website-and it always helps!

Comment by Nick — January 14, 2011 #

53. Thanks so much. This helped me heaps. I hate antivirus scan == well thanks once again! You’re the best!!

Comment by Sonia — January 14, 2011 #

54. thank you soooooo much!!! i was trying to fix my computer for 6 hours and found this and got it fixed in 20 min!! thank you soo much i soo appreciate it!!!!

Comment by hkump — January 14, 2011 #

55. Koi, what is your version of Windows ?

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — January 14, 2011 #

56. shane, try update Malwarebytes once again and perform a fresh scan.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — January 14, 2011 #

57. Raina, try the following:
    Run Internet Explorer, Click Tools -> Internet Options. Select Connections Tab and click to Lan Settings button. Click Advanced button to open Proxy settings. Copy and paste the following text into “Do not use proxy server for addresses beginning with:”

go.trendmicro.com;www.myantispyware.com;www.malwarebytes.org;

Click OK to save Proxy settings, then Click OK to close Lan Settings and Click OK to close Internet Explorer settings.

Download HijackThis from here. Once Save dialog opens, you need first to rename hijackthis.exe to iexplore.exe

Further click Save button to save it to desktop. If you are using the Firefox, then you need right click to the above link to open a Save dialog.

Run HijackThis. Click Scan button. Select entries that looks like:

R1 – HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:{RANDOM}
    O4 – HKCU\..\Run: [{RANDOM}] {PATH}\Temp\{RANDOM}.exe

Example:

R1 – HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:49512

Go to step 4 above.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — January 14, 2011 #

58. windows vista, shortly after I got antivirus scan, when I click the Internet it first ask me for permission to enter in isafemode.exe but Internet is blocked like u said. But after a few hours when I click on the Internet it’s in the safety mode and I couldn’t enter address

Comment by Koi — January 15, 2011 #

59. I was doing great until I got to the end of step 2; didn’t know whether to stay in safe mode or not!?! What do I do???

Comment by Lele — January 15, 2011 #

60. Everything’s AOK!!! Went back to step 2 and stayed in safe mode….. and everything worked this time!!! It removed the Antivirus Scan Virus!!!! Yayyyyyyy…. malwarebytes Anti-malware is awesome….. thanks guys!!!!!

Comment by Lele — January 15, 2011 #

61. I have a Verizon mifi, that has to be connected through a usb to get internet. I can not get my computer to acknowledge this in safe mode. Any suggestions?

Comment by star — January 15, 2011 #

62. Thank you so much for the wonderful instructions. I got this virus a few months ago and had to take my laptop to BestBuy and spent over $200 having it removed. This time I tried to find a way to remove it myself and it worked great! I am so thankful I found this website. Thank you so much for your help! You saved me another $200!

Comment by Kayla — January 16, 2011 #

63. Absolutely amazing. I followed each step closely. A hint that I have for others while performing this clean-up is to use another device for internet as you must close all windows and programs to get the full-effect of the scans and such. For me, this alternate device was my iPod touch. The safari browser is capable of displaying this guide, thus you can use it to guide you throughout this process. Bravo, author! A very helpful tutorial that cleaned up my machine within 15 minutes… 15! Incredible.

Comment by David — January 16, 2011 #

64. star, you can use Normal mode to remove this malware. Look my answer to Raina (Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — January 14, 2011).

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — January 16, 2011 #

65. Thank you so much!! After some trial and error, I was able to follow your meticulously well-written instructions and get rid of the virus. And that is saying a lot of you, since I am pretty computer-illiterate! You guys have saved me a lot of time, grief, and money. I am truly grateful! Thank you for sharing your time and knowledge to help us. All my thanks and gratitude-

Comment by Lois — January 16, 2011 #

66. JUSt wanted to say thank you for the help….. you saved us a lot of money. Put a stop to the problem’s right away. Thank you

Comment by Kristie — January 16, 2011 #

67. I went through all of the steps and I they were very simple thank you. But once I got to the HijackeThis scan I was not sure at all what to delete. Wondering if someone can help me with this?

Comment by Donald — January 16, 2011 #

68. This is a very good source. Thanks for sharing this great tip. It worked like a charm.

Comment by Adeola Sadiku — January 17, 2011 #

69. this is awesome! Thank you! Just follow it step by step and you will be out of it in no time. Advice, make sure you have another device to browse the internet. I have used my samsung galaxy phone as a browser while fixing my laptop. Dell was asking me to pay them $300 just to get it fixed, thank God I found this site.

Comment by Marni S. — January 18, 2011 #

70. I have this virus but it wont let me install the hijackthis so i can stop the virus long enough to get removal software installed. any ideas??

Comment by Chuck — January 18, 2011 #

71. Donald and Chuck, open a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will help you to remove this malware.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — January 19, 2011 #

72. Thanks a bunch for the great info! hours spent messing with this damn virus,then 20-30 mins of your instructions and…BOOOM! no more virus.ty

Comment by Niall — January 19, 2011 #

73. I THINK I LOVE YOU! I followed these steps, and my laptop was fixed in under 30mins! GENIUS! Thanks you soooooooooooooo much.

Comment by Rhiannone — January 19, 2011 #

74. The problem is on another computer that is blocking me from connecting to the internet which will not let me connect to your website. What do I do now?

Comment by Lincoln — January 19, 2011 #

75. Lincoln, read and follow the instructions in my answer to Raina (omment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — January 14, 2011 ).

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — January 20, 2011 #

76. Ok, so I deleted the program successful with Malwarebytes, but now I still cant access Internet Explorer from that computer :( I’ve ran another scan with Malwarebytes to make sure nothing is still blocking access, but it detects nothing else. I dont know what to do. Help.

Comment by Kris — January 20, 2011 #

77. Hi i got this virus and i searched the internet for solutions. I came across a antivirus scan tool on spywarevoid.com which i donloaded. My friend then suggested i use malwarebytes anti malware program and i am currently doing a full sxan. I did not do the previous steps you have mentioned ie. Reboot and switch to safe mood. I am on a laptop with 2 accounts with one account affected by this virus. It seems that the virus is not there anymore, but my internet explorer is not working. Should i wait until the anti malware scan is complete and then restart my computer?

Comment by J — January 23, 2011 #

78. My computer shuts down automatically during the mbam scan. What should I do?

Comment by Aaron — January 23, 2011 #

79. Many thanks Patrik for the instructions cause this is the second time in 3 months I’ve been called on by family members to remove this insidious malware from computers.

Comment by otto — January 24, 2011 #

80. Why doesn’t someone find these A-holes and beat the sh@t out of them?

Comment by father Sandman — January 24, 2011 #

81. I’ve began Safe Mode with Networking, but nothing is showing. No login screen or anything… :/

Comment by Josh — January 25, 2011 #

82. J, anyway you need to scan your PC with Malwarebytes and remove all what its found. If IE won`t open any sites, then you need to repeat the step 2 above.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — January 25, 2011 #

83. Aaron, ask for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — January 25, 2011 #

84. Thanks helped me so much. And if anyone doesn’t have access to Internet in safe mode just use a friends computer or something and download malwarebytes install exe to a flash drive and put the flash drive into your computer

Comment by Mike hawk — January 25, 2011 #

85. Three of my customers got hit by this yesterday and it’s a beeatch to remove. This will be a great help.

MBAM scored 787 on one machine!

Great job guys.

Comment by 0s1r1s — January 25, 2011 #

86. Oh….thank you so much :)you just saved me thank you thank you thank a thousand time thank you

Comment by Pat — February 14, 2011 #

87. hi you know when i get to step 3 and 4, can i save the links on a ubs since i cant access the internet as my internet is on internet emergency mode. please help me.

Comment by viola — February 21, 2011 #

88. Hi I cant use hijack in safe mode please help

Comment by suzanne — February 28, 2011 #

89. Okay, so usually I don’t comment on websites like this at all; I just take my information and leave.

But really, this information -saved my laptop.-

Obviously not much of a computer whiz here, I mean, there’s really not all that much that’s needed to be done, but to quote another comment:
    THANK YOU. A THOUSAND TIMES – THANK YOU

Comment by Michelle — March 3, 2011 #

90. Thank you!!! The instructions were great….from desperate I became happy again. Thanks much,,

Comment by Georgia — March 3, 2011 #

91. Thank you!!!!!!!!

Comment by Georgia — March 3, 2011 #

92. suzanne, try skip step 3.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — March 4, 2011 #

93. When I try to restart in safe mode, before it can reboot, I get a blue screen with an error message. I can’t run any of my spyware, can’t disable the internet proxy, and I can’t run the add/remove program application. Please help.

Comment by Aaron U — March 9, 2011 #

94. Aaron, start a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will help you to remove this malware in Normal mode.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — March 12, 2011 #

95. Thank you!!!!!!!!
    The instructions were great….from desperate I became happy again.thank you so much
    Thanks much,,