Malwarebytes won`t install, run or update – How to fix it

If Malwarebytes Anti-malware or any of your security programs won’t install, run or update, then you’ve probably got malware or the effects of malware on the computer (some types of malware will disable Malwarebytes Anti-malware and other security tools).

Malwarebytes Anti-malware or any of your security programs won`t install

Fix 1.1: Before saving Malwarebytes Anti-malware or any of your security programs, rename them first.
You clicked on a download link and a Save dialog opens. Change file name and click on Save. For example, before you save Malwarebytes Anti-malware, rename mbam-setup.exe to something like mapp.exe (or use any random name) and then click on Save and save it to your desktop. Double Click mapp.exe to install the application.
Note: several good names that you can use: explorer.exe, iexplore.exe, firefox.exe, userinit.exe

Fix 1.2: Change Malwarebytes Anti-malware or another security program installation file extension.
Turn on “show file extensions for known file types” by doing:

• Double-click on the My Computer icon.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • After the new window appears select the View tab.
  • Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
  • Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Press the Apply button and then the OK button.
  • Now your computer is configured to show file extensions for known file types.

Right-click on an installation file (mbam-setup.exe for Malwarebytes Anti-malware) and replace .exe extension with .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr. Press Enter and then double-click on it to run.

Malwarebytes Anti-malware or any of your security programs won`t run

Fix 2.1: Rename the main executable file.

• Click Run, type %ProgramFiles% and press Enter.
  • Open a home folder of your security program, right-click on the main executable file and click Rename.
  • Type a new name (try explorer.exe, iexplore.exe, userinit.exe or any random name like 1j2j3kkk.exe) and press Enter.
  • Double-click on this file to run.

An example for Malwarebytes Anti-malware. Click Start, type in Search field %ProgramFiles% (if you using Windows 2000/XP, Click Start, Run, then type in Open field). Press Enter. Open Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware folder. Right-click on the mbam.exe file, select Rename, type myapp.exe and press Enter and then double-click on it to run.

Fix 2.2: Boot your computer in the Safe mode.

• Restart your computer.
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear.
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware or your security program.

Fix 2.3: Log in Windows using a new created user account.

• Click Start -> Settings -> Control panel.
  • Click User Accounts and create a new account.
  • Reboot your computer and login Windows using a previously created user account.

Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware or your security program.

Fix 2.4: Run TDSSKiller.
Probably your computer is infected with TDSS trojan/rootkit. It may block various antivirus and antispyware programs from running.

Download TDSSKiller from here and unzip to your desktop.
Open tdsskiller folder and run TDSSKiller. Follow the prompts.

Fix 2.5: Use Inherit.exe to fix inappropriate permissions.
Use this fix, when you see a box that states “Windows cannot not access the specified device, path, or file. You may have inappropriate permissions to access the item”.

Download this file
Save it next to mbam.exe (this file is located in the Malwarebytes Anti-malware home folder). Once done, drag and drop mbam.exe into Inherit.exe. Click OK and attempt to run Malwarebytes Anti-malware once again.

Malwarebytes Anti-malware won`t update

Fix 3.1: Manually download and install Malwarebytes Anti-malware update.

• Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware updates from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.

Fix 3.2: Copy the Malwarebytes Anti-malware definitions (rules.ref) from a clean computer.
You can update through MBAM’s interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (Windows XP and 2000) or C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\rules.ref (Windows Vista and Windows 7) from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.

Cannot use the Internet and download Malwarebytes Anti-malware or another security program

You will need access to another computer that has a connection.

From the computer download and save a setup package (installation file) to a flash, usb, jump drive or CD. Now transfer it to the infected machine, then install and run the program.
If you cannot transfer to or install on the infected machine, try running the setup package (installation file) directly from the flash drive or CD by double-clicking on the file so it will install on the hard drive.

June 8, 2009 on 9:24 am | In Tips | 283 Comments |

1. OMG thank you so much LOL
    this really helped me my malwarebytes wouldnt
    run cuz the Malware and it was getting so annoying

Comment by Mason — June 15, 2009 #

2. OMG HELP HELP HELP HELP~

I can download the malwarebytes software and install it, but It will not run. I tried each fix you listed above, it still did not open and run.

Researched a little bit more and found Combofix, great and all, but yep, downloaded, WON’T Install.

I am almost ballheaded over this one. I have done scans with my AVG and I also used Windows Defender and Advanced System Care Pro for scans, they did no detect anything. But I am still have alot of instability on my pc. I keep getting those crazy *debug* error messages. I think I have a variant of the Windowsclick trojan because when I did a root kit scan, I got some suspicious files. I am trying to get them off my pc, but can’t get other spyware/malware removal programs to work. I am seriously going to shoot my computer with a shotgun. I have visited your site frequently in the last week and figured it was time I asked for help.

This is the last file of the *16* rootkit items AVG *finally* produced.

\

Comment by Melissa — June 22, 2009 #

3. Melissa, please follow these steps. I will help you.

Comment by Patrik — June 22, 2009 #

4. Thank you so much
    The Malware saved my computer big time.
    I had over 58 objects infected and it
    helped me get rid of it. Thank you!
    Its a good program to use. Dont be scared
    not to use it

Comment by Cynthia — June 30, 2009 #

5. Personal Anitivirus was downloaded to my computer and now it will not go away at all. I am going to throw the dang computer if it does not go away. It wont let me do anything at all. I have tried the steps and still nothing. Is there anything else I can do. I am trying to download malwarebytes.org and i won’t let me at all. It shuts it off on me.

Comment by megan — July 3, 2009 #

6. Megan, try these Personal Antivirus removal instructions.

Comment by Patrik — July 3, 2009 #

7. DO THIS! IT WORKS!

I’ve been having the same problem. I tried renaming mbam.exe as myapp.exe, etc. Still MBAM did not start. I tried different names and what not. Then I remembered this annoying bug redirects me to all sots of webpages when I click on a link on the Internet but mostly to sites advertizing an antispyware program (stopzilla). I checked reviews on reliable sites and learned it’s malware, a rogue program, meaning that’s the program they want me to install in my computer. No way! So what did I do? I renamed the mbam.exe with the name of the malware(stopzilla.exe)!!! It worked!!! :) MBAM opened, I scaned, got rid of some spyware, updated, scanned again all files and got rid of more. (TAKE THIS STOPZILLA!!!)
    I did the same (rename the exe file) with Ad-Aware and Superantispyware and they got rid of more. Still I can’t open or update Spyware Doctor to get rid of more. I’ll keep trying and update you guys on this.

Comment by xavier acosta — July 20, 2009 #

8. Thx!It really works.I been trying and trying but this made it simple.Thx again.You rocks

Comment by Gwaan — July 21, 2009 #

9. ive been having the same problem too. i have had this problem for 3 weeks so my computer was basically destroyed. protection system didnt let me go on the internet at all. i tried downloading malwarebytes so many times its not even funny. i just downloaded it today. i renamed everything im glad protection system is that stupid. everything is running and i hope it stays that way. i have one question what is the best antivirus for windows xp computer?

Comment by ronald — July 22, 2009 #

10. A few good and free antivirus apps: AVG and Avast.

Comment by Patrik — July 22, 2009 #

11. Help – I have the “system security protect your pc” malware. Have tried all the ideas on this site. Was able to download malwarebytes to a usb from another computer and install it onto the infected one but it only runs for 3 sec.
    Help please.

Comment by winter — July 26, 2009 #

12. winter, then only one. Ask for help at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — July 26, 2009 #

13. Thanks very much for the help. I’ve had so many computers that malwarebyteswould not install on and all I had to do was change the program name. Thanks again!

Comment by Chris Wakelin — July 30, 2009 #

14. I am having a problem running the MBAM program. I can download it but then it asks me what program to use to run it, and I have no idea. Help!

Comment by Chris — July 30, 2009 #

15. Try it:
    Click Start, Run. Type command and press Enter. Type notepad and press Enter.
    Notepad opens. Copy all the text below into Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"

Double Click fix.reg and click YES for confirm.

Comment by Patrik — July 30, 2009 #

16. I seem to need help. I have tried all the steps, but my malware: “Windows Antivirus Pro” appears to have blocked every move for me. For your “Fixes” above:
    1. Despite renaming my Malwarebytes, Adaware and Spybot executables, they will not run.
    2. Folder Options no longer listed in My Computer, so I can’t unhide extensions.
    1. Will not run after name change.
    2. Blue screen of death when trying to boot in Safe Mode
    3. Cannot create new user accounts.

I tried downloading malwarebytes on another pc, loaded setup exe to an sd card, even installed the program (using that setup exe) onto the same sd… then renamed all exe’s on the sd… then tried to launch the renamed exe’s (i named them all “bat” files) on the infected pc… they wouls still not launch.

Have I stumped you? Reinstall XP with reformat?? Say it aint so!!

Thx for any help! Glenn

Comment by Glenn — July 30, 2009 #

17. Glenn, please follow these steps so that I can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

Comment by Patrik — July 30, 2009 #

18. Thx Patrick, I am registering now and doing the Hijack steps… but as a side note, while I was awaiting your reply here, I clicked on your name and found the steps to remove Windows Antivirus Pro… I was able to complete the OTM step, but when trying to double click on the fix.reg notepad file on my desktop, I got an error saying my administrator would not allow changes to reg… but I am the admin and only user to my XP Pro pc… am I close? Thx!

Comment by Glenn — July 30, 2009 #

19. Update: i tried the Hijack steps, but failed… I installed HijackThis and ran a scan with log file… the scan happened, seemed to finish and present the log file… however, within 5 seconds, poof, the window disappeared before i could do anything… so i could not save the file or even copy/paste the text… i have now tried reinstalling and relaunching HijackThis, but it will not relaunch… :-(

Comment by Glenn — July 30, 2009 #

20. Glenn, please make a new topic at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — July 30, 2009 #

21. RENAMING THE SETUP FILE TO STOPZILLA.EXE WORKED!!!! After hours of research, I finally got it! Thank you so much

Comment by Tina — July 31, 2009 #

22. TY SO MUCH XAVIER! ive been trying to remove malware from my comp that alerts me with fake viruses and wants me to buy some “winiguard” program and it disabled all other virus removal tools. after i renamed my malwarebytes to “winiguard” it worked perfectly. ty again xavier u saved my computer from the bat…

Comment by Craig — July 31, 2009 #

23. could not download the exe. got it via USB stick.
    had to change the name to get it to run.

Got an error code while runnign Amti-Maleware. came up immeditatly upon finding an infected object, each time

731 (0, -2147221008)

noted 51 objects when the scan finished, but then the list was empty when I clicked

Comment by mike — August 2, 2009 #

24. mike, try to run MalwareBytes in Safe mode. Also you can ask us for help at our spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — August 3, 2009 #

25. ive done ur steps to get the steps to install mbam. its currently running the scan on safe mode, but three times now a window has popped up that says mbam has encountered a problem and needs to close. this is after about 3-5 mins of running and i see that its found 4-6 infections. what can i try?

Comment by marnie — August 7, 2009 #

26. My system was hijacked by WindowsClick.com and so none of the Antivirus programs including Malwarebytes would run.

Did some research and came to this site. I followed the instructions to the letter and it worked!

Thankyou, Thankyou and thankyou guys!

Comment by Sheikh — August 10, 2009 #

27. just some extra info i thought id share. i could install most the security programs but it seems like most of em need to be downloaded upon install now like a download manager… the last 2 jobs i did the malware blocked the domains for updating/downloading. so a quick fix is (in an updated copy of xp at least) run c:\windows\system32\mrt.exe if it wont run make a copy and rename it (just like steps above.) and do a full scan. it will find the dns changer and remove it. now you can install your security suite and spybot. (i find that malwarebytes wont run till after i do spybot) just my 2 cents. hope it helps.

Comment by Craig — August 10, 2009 #

28. I am unable to install the program. Every attempt freezes during the *Finishing Installation* portion of the install process. I have tried to install the file from safemode, as well as changed both the filename and the extension with no luck. Is there any other way I can install the file?

thank you so much for your help.

Comment by Emilio — August 26, 2009 #

29. Emilio, looks like a malware blocks it. Ask for help at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — August 26, 2009 #

30. I have google redirect virus. When I try to download malwarebytes i get the not commected to internet/ problem with website page. Did i goof

Comment by kevin — August 30, 2009 #

31. Kevin, try these instructions: How to remove trojan DNSChanger or ask for help at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — August 31, 2009 #

32. Thank you! I managed to get rid of personal antivirus that had attacked my computer. It took a while but it worked!

Comment by Sofia — September 8, 2009 #

33. Thank you for putting up these instructions, I am still waiting for malwarebytes to download. I have it but it is disabled. I appreciate the work that you put into this. I got the Police Pro virus from YouTube which I hardly go on.

Comment by Bonnie — September 10, 2009 #

34. Bonnie, try these Police Pro virus removal instructions or ask for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — September 10, 2009 #

35. i can install Malwarebytes, spybot search and destroy and hijackthis but after they’re instlled i try to run them and to they start going for 1-3 secs then the program shuts down. if i try to restart the app i get a windows error saying i dont have permisson or authoritie to run the program anymore and i get locked out. i run avg and spybot doctor and they say im fine, but i get locked out of maleware remover programs when i run them, namely Malwarebytes and spybot search and destroy. got any help for me?

Comment by kawaii — September 14, 2009 #

36. oh on side note i recently got the window police pro virus and all hell broke loose. after i try to remove this i count run those programs anymore.

Comment by kawaii — September 14, 2009 #

37. kawaii, ask for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — September 14, 2009 #

38. I have successfully installed Malwarebytes but it will not run after renaming .exe file. I am also unable to rename it in safe mode as it tells me the file is read only and is access is denied. Help

Comment by George — September 14, 2009 #

39. George, make a new topic at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — September 16, 2009 #

40. i tried this, but it’s not working. i renamed it, i’ve tried various malware removal programs, none of it is working for me.

Comment by bri — September 24, 2009 #

41. Hi I tried to rename and install Malwarebytes but it would not allow me to complete the intallation. There was a pop-up box which says \

Comment by Sherry — October 26, 2009 #

42. Sorry the pop-up box says

Unable to execute file: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

CreateProcess failed: code 2.
    The system cannot find the file specified.

I’ve been doing this for 4 hours now. Appreciate your help. Tnx.

Comment by Sherry — October 26, 2009 #

43. Sherry, your PC is infected with a trojan that block Malwarebytes Antimalware. Ask for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — October 26, 2009 #

44. Will do. Thanks Patrik.

Comment by Sherry — October 26, 2009 #

45. I have tried every fix above and cannot run spybot or malware. With a few of the attempts malwarebytes would open and start a quick scan but the terminate after 2 seconds. When I try to run my security programns I get
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the file.
    I tried to join the spyware forum but HiJack was closed after the scan before I could copy the notepad and no one has told me what to try now. Please help.
    I also recently removed Security Tools virus from my computer but had not done a full scan since then and am now having these problems.
    Would appreciate any help!

Comment by Taja — October 29, 2009 #

46. I tried to join the spyware forum but HiJack was closed after the scan before I could copy the notepad and no one has told me what to try now

Taja, anyway make a new topic in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — October 30, 2009 #

47. malwarebytes wont scan when i get it open… it closes after 5 seconds… tried all the fixes above and nothing worked… plz help

Comment by David — October 31, 2009 #

48. David, then only one – ask for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — November 1, 2009 #

49. So far so good, I had to download the .exe because the malware was blocking it, it worked so far and is finding infected files, so far 4 files and only 1 min into the scan.. :-/

Comment by Dave — November 26, 2009 #

50. Dave, try run Malwarebytes Anti-malware in the Safe mode.

Comment by Patrik — November 27, 2009 #

51. I’m having similar problems to those discussed here and can’t find a solution.
    “Personal Protector” is the offender. Spybot S&D will locate and claims to have fixed the 15 harmful files but PP is able to reinstall. I can’t install malwareytes or hijackthis in normal or safe mode (I’ve tried renaming them as well).
    I was about to start deleting registry files as discussed on some posts but can’t muster the nerve…
    Help??

Comment by Kevin — November 28, 2009 #

52. Kevin, open a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will help you.

Comment by Patrik — November 28, 2009 #

53. My computer (not this one) is infected with some sort of virus. I have downloaded malwarebytes and i have run the program, but it will not allow an update and is using definitions from sep 2009. I have another unvirused computer and a usb key. Is there a way to copy the updated definitions from a clean computer to a folder in the infected computer?

Please help.

Thx

Comment by Ern — November 29, 2009 #

54. Ern, read the “Malwarebytes Anti-malware won`t update” part of instructions above.

Comment by Patrik — November 30, 2009 #

55. I was having major headahces getting ANY security software to run. Been trying to fix my PC for the last 16 hours straight and I was getting nowhere. Most software would install but couldn’t do anything after that. I followed the instructions further up regarding changing the filename of mbam.exe to stopzilla.exe. What do you know, the bloody thing ran first time – thank you for that post – YOU ARE A LIFESAVER!!

Comment by Mick Barber — December 7, 2009 #

56. Nice one, renamed setup file and it installed.

Once installed it would not run.

I then renamed execution file and it ran perfect.

Comment by the dude — December 9, 2009 #

57. My Malwarebytes Anti-malware were installed after I downloaded and renamed it to something random. But the mbam.exe won’t run after installation no matter what I rename it to. So this is what I did:

I uploaded mbam.exe as an email attachment and sent it to myself. I downloaded that same attachment and renamed to some random name and saved to the original folder that mbam.exe was in. I ran this new file that I just downloaded and it works :)

Comment by Cora — December 20, 2009 #

58. my laptop is affected with this stupid security tools…been trying to run the antimalware but i mbam-setup doesnt seem to run at all..
    i even tried renaming it as stopzilla.exe but yet this freaking thing doesnt run… PLEASE HELP ME!! :(:(

Comment by sakina — December 20, 2009 #

59. sakina, follow these Security Tool removal instructions.

Comment by Patrik — December 21, 2009 #

60. I couldn’t get it to run either – no error message, nothing. It wouldn’t uninstall either – it would flash up the ‘are you sure’ message really quickly and then just disappear.

So I had a look in the malwarebytes directory of one of my working computers, and found that the file ‘ssubtmr6.dll’ was 2K different in file size. I copied that file from the working computer to the stricken one and guess what? MBAM is running! Obviously this is no help whatsoever to someone without an extra computer… sorry about that!

Comment by jbng — December 24, 2009 #

61. thanks a LOT!

Comment by j — December 25, 2009 #

62. This sucks i downloaded the Malwarebytes Anti-malware installed it but it doesnt run when i double click i tried renaming it but still doesnt work :( please help me!

Comment by David — December 27, 2009 #

63. David, if the instructions above does not help you then ask for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — December 27, 2009 #

64. Can someone help here. I am not able to run malwarebytes on my machine. it did install successfully but does not run. I spent straight 18 hours on this and performed all the diagnostics stated above.
    Can someone please help?

Comment by reuben — December 29, 2009 #

65. reuben, probably your computer infected with TDSS trojan. Try run TDSSKiller. Download it from here.

Comment by Patrik — December 30, 2009 #

66. Thank you so much! I could not for the life of me figure out why it wasn’t working but downloading it with a random name fixed it immediately and I was able to run it. It’s going through right now, so thankyouthankyouthankyou!

Comment by Kristina — January 8, 2010 #

67. OMG!!! Thank you so very, very much! I went through ALL the steps above and finally after more than 8 hours, I was able to remove this awful malware by putting the pc into safe mode. I just got this 2 weeks ago, have only done minimal things as of yet and had over 60 infections. Thank you thank you thank you.
    Lori

Comment by Lori Kindler — January 10, 2010 #

68. I have “Antivirus live” worm. The first thing i did was disconect from my internet conection, now when i try to conect to a network it does nothing (does not pick any conections up and conect button is fazed out). When i go onto internet explorer the “TOOLS” button is not there so i can’t change proxy settings.
    I manually deleted some HKEYS which has stopped all the pop ups.
    I have tryed to run Malwarebytes but keep getting a message saying- “run-time error 53, file not found: advpack” whilst downloading from disk.
    I’ve tryed changing the name of the file.
    I tryed to run ‘ISPFIX’ ‘AVENGER’ TDSKILLER but say program not found.
    I’m doing everything in safe mode.
    Done Hijackthis and deleted the HKEYS recomended no other keys look suspicious to me, but as have no conection can’t copy and paste. Don’t want to usb it to my good computer incase it becomes infected.
    went ahead and done combofix it said can’t complete deleting files as need administration rights.
    can’t create a new user in control pannel.
    I done ‘RKILL’ which gave me back taskmanager and folder options however can’t stop any processes in TM and click folder options does nothing.
    Just let it run in normal mode and the wallpaper has changed to a random photo i’ve never seen before????
    No programs work that were installed before virus.
    Was using Avast at the time which alerted me to the virus but aparently did nothing! I just want to re-install windows but need to get some important files off first. These files are under hidden properties and as i can’t use my folder options i can’t get to them. Someone please help is there away off getting to my files without spreading this virus?

Comment by Kev — January 13, 2010 #

69. Kev, you can attach the infected drive to another PC, then scan it using an antivirus. Once finished, move all important files and re-install Windows.

Comment by Patrik — January 14, 2010 #

70. I am getting the same problem as everyone else except that I cannot download Malwarebytes. Site kep conencting me to Spyware doctor. Where can I see MalwareBytes?

Comment by Editha — January 16, 2010 #

71. Editha, open the following Malwarebytes Antimalware review, scroll down to “Download MalwareBytes Anti-malware” and click to a link.

Comment by Patrik — January 17, 2010 #

72. I’ve downloaded malwarebytes but will not install. Says version is corrupt. Tried the downloaded version and also tried it from a CD copied from a good PC. Both say they are corrupt versions even though I know they are not. Tried renaming both of them (file names and changing from .exe) and nothing.

Comment by Roger — January 20, 2010 #

73. I have done all of these things above, Have the Anti-virus Live worm as well.

I was able to get internet access by going into internet explorer -> Tools-> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN setting -> and unchecked used proxy settings.

Now when I try to download the Malwarebytes software it gives me an Error Creating Registry key upon download. Then it doesn’t allow we me click on a hard-drive to scan.

Any advice?

Comment by Jennifer — January 21, 2010 #

74. Roger, probably your PC is infected with a virus that damages it. Try run DrWeb Cureit or Kaspersky Virus removal tool.

Comment by Patrik — January 21, 2010 #

75. Hey! I had to use a proxy website to get here since my malware is blocking this website but None of the suggestions worked for me. I read a comment about how someone changed theirs to stopzilla.exe so I just searched malwarebyes anti-malware and thhen let them redirect me. Mine kept showing search and destroy pro so I just changed it to searchanddestroy.exe and now it finally opened! Thanks for that great suggestion.

Comment by E — January 21, 2010 #

76. I GOT IT TO WORK

I had the stupid malware that tries to get me to install a fake Malware Defense program.

At first I downloaded Malwarbytes on my infected computer, by changing the exe file to mdefense.exe, which is the name of the fake anti virus program that got installed on my computer. It worked but I couldn’t run it.
    I downloaded it from another uninfected machine, then renamed the mbam.exe to mdefense.exe. I moved all the malwarbytes files from the malwarbytes folder of the good computer on to my infected computer, BUT put the files in the Malware Defense folder. Which is the folder the trojan installed for the fake anti virus software. And malwarbytes opened and scanned!

Comment by Max — January 23, 2010 #

77. just wanted to say thank you. your writeup saved me my job today. all i did was dl the random mbam name. and move it to my malwarebytes folder. and mbam came right up. updated fine. and found 22 processes that needed to be cleaned. restarted and scanned in safe mode to be sure. 0 items found. then restarted in full windows. and quick scanned again. looks like all is well. thanks again.

Comment by Mike — January 26, 2010 #

78. Virus wouldn’t allow malwarebytes to be installed. Your assistance made it happen. Thanks! How do I support your website?

Comment by Bill Breyer — February 1, 2010 #

79. None of this works for me as I cannot enter Safe Mode; it just comes up with a blank blue screen. :(

I am infected with the rogue program XP Antispyware 2010.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Comment by davo — February 5, 2010 #

80. davo, follow the steps.

Comment by Patrik — February 6, 2010 #

81. I’m attempting to install Malwarebyets’ on my computer to get rid of Internet Security 2010, I installed with a new exe file name and re-named the program file. I now received a message stating to report the error code :732 (12029, 0) to you. PLEASE help me get this program running so I can get this malware off my computer!!

Comment by Jesse — February 9, 2010 #

82. Jesse, read above “Malwarebytes Anti-malware won`t update” and try fix 1 or fix 2.

Comment by Patrik — February 10, 2010 #

83. Patrik for some reason I can’t install the Malwarebytes in my computer…it is driving me crazy…please HELP ME!

Comment by Suzana — February 18, 2010 #

84. Suzana, if above instructions does not help you, then ask for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — February 19, 2010 #

85. it dosen’t do anything. when i click run nothing happens…no error msgs nothing…what to do?

Comment by jon — February 19, 2010 #

86. Xvaier is a LEGEND. This worked for me.

Used Fix.reg code (had to manually import by using RUN>regedit. Rebooted PC (pop ups then stopped). Downloaded mbam-exe using uninefected PC, renamed file and installed onto infected PC.
    mbam would not run after install so I renamed file stopzilla.exe and hey presto, its running.

Comment by Neil UK — February 20, 2010 #

87. Jon, looks like you computer is infected with troja that stops malwarebytes. Ask for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — February 20, 2010 #

88. Okay everyone who is having trouble getting Malwarebytes to run even after renaming MBAM.exe to
    something else like stopzilla.exe. I first renamed the MBAM.exe file and then it installed. However, no matter what I tried, it wouldn’t run. Rereading the posts above, I came across the one by”the dude” who said he renamed the exe file in the Malwarebytes program folder. Tried it and voila = opened and ran perfectly.

Comment by Nancy — February 21, 2010 #

89. patrik plse help me i have tried everything and when malewarebytes starts to run the rouge program:SECURITY ESSENTIALS 2010 gives me the bsod when maleware detects a problem

Comment by Beats from the middle east — February 23, 2010 #

90. Use the Security Essentials 2010 removal guidelines.

Comment by Patrik — February 24, 2010 #

91. I’m not having luck with any of these steps. Ultimately getting a 707/3/0 error message. Anyone able to help? My computer is quite crippled at this point. Thanks.

Comment by Jay — February 24, 2010 #

92. Addition to previous message: I just tried Fix #1 in the “Security programs won’t run” list above, but in going into program files, I don’t even see a mbam.exe file.

Comment by Jay — February 24, 2010 #

93. Jay, try reinstall Malwarebytes, If it does not help, then ask for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — February 25, 2010 #

94. I am able to downloand Malwarebytes but am unable to run/open the program. Everytime I try to I get a window that says \ This program does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.\ What do I do. I have tried all the the other fixes you recommened but I still get this window everytime.

Comment by rachael — February 26, 2010 #

95. Rachael, try the following:
    Click Start, Run. Type command and press Enter.
    Type notepad and press Enter.
    Notepad opens. Copy all the text below into Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\secfile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\secfile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
    @="exefile"
    "Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

Double Click fix.reg and click YES for confirm.

Comment by Patrik — February 26, 2010 #

96. I have renamed the mbam.exe to malware.exe and I was able to install the malwarebytes’ anit-malware but it won’t run and I’ve tried renaming it but nothing changes. I tried to install it again from the renamed mbam.exe but it freezes at extracting files. what do I do? help appreciated

Comment by Grant — February 28, 2010 #

97. Grant, run TDSSKiller before Malwarebytes. Read the instructions above.

Comment by Patrik — March 1, 2010 #

98. i got this crazy Antivirus vita 2010. I can’t run malwarebytes even after renaming it. I don’t know how to save it with different name because when i click on the download malwarebytes – i get a screen with the option of save and cancel, nothing with changing the name of the file. HELP PLEASE :((((

Comment by sickofit — March 1, 2010 #

99. Sickofit, you can rename it after downloading.

Comment by Patrik — March 2, 2010 #

100. OMG THANK U SO MUCH!!! this worked perfectly!!!!!

Comment by kristie — March 6, 2010 #

101. My computer is infected and I have the malwarebytes anti malware installed on my computer but I can’t get it to work. This has happened to me before and I had to uninstall it and install it again. This time I can’t do that because it wont let me get online. I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to download it from anothe computer onto a disk and then load it on my computer.

Comment by SARAH — March 6, 2010 #

102. how to download it from anothe computer onto a disk and then load it on my computer.

Its simple. Download Malwarebytes installer (mabm-setup.exe) to another PC, them copy this file to your flash disk or using any burn software to cd disk. Insert the disk to infected pc and run it.

Comment by Patrik — March 7, 2010 #

103. I downloaded mbam-rules.exe from a clean computer and loaded it via flash drive onto my infected computer. I ran quick scan and thought that anitmalware defender had been quarantined. But after rebooting, antimalware defender is still active. I tried to update via the update tab and am getting error message 732. Any ideas?

Comment by kathy — March 7, 2010 #

104. I have a problem, I got Malwarebytes to install, but now when I click the icon for it, it will not open!! XP internet security things keep popping up all over my computer telling me I have 29 viruses, but I just x out because I think that is part of the virus. How do I get Malwarebytes to run!?

Comment by Karli — March 8, 2010 #

105. Was able to copy and run Malwarebytes in Safe mode. Quick scan completed found three items (deleted), tried rebooting and virus (Virus Protector) was still there. Please help.

Comment by Ken — March 9, 2010 #

106. Kathy, probably your computer also infected with TDSS trojan. Ty the steps.

Comment by Patrik — March 9, 2010 #

107. Karli, follow the instructions.

Comment by Patrik — March 9, 2010 #

108. Ken, try the updated Virus Protector removal instructions.

Comment by Patrik — March 9, 2010 #

109. hi tried all these fixes and more, two days of hassle with antivirus XP 2010, after all these attempts what can I do?

Comment by Ben — March 9, 2010 #

110. Ben, ask for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — March 11, 2010 #

111. Thank you so much! I have been using Malwarebytes for some time and I just upgraded to Windows 7. I was unable to update the software and tried everything before. Fix #1 about installing the rules.exe worked for me. Thank you!

Comment by Shari — March 14, 2010 #

112. Patrik,

I ran tdss killer and found nothing. I am still getting error 732(12007,0) when I try to update. Any other ideas?

Comment by kathy — March 14, 2010 #

113. Kathy, please open a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will check your PC.

Comment by Patrik — March 15, 2010 #

114. While running Malware scan it freezes at System32/msi.dll
    Can anyone help?

Comment by Bill C — March 16, 2010 #

115. Bill, try run Malwarebytes from Safe mode.

Comment by Patrik — March 16, 2010 #

116. Also found with this that IE can be set to use a proxy server which stops malwarebytes updating – link on this site – tekbusters.ca/blog/2010/02/22/malwarebytes-will-not-update/

Comment by Geoff — March 17, 2010 #

117. Use Sophos (sophos.com) to remove the root kit virus. reboot, then download CureIT (www.freedrweb.com/cureit) make sure you update it. Sure IT will clean up the areas where you cant run programs such as malwarebytes. Once you run these programs, malwarebytes should be able to work and run it to clean up the rest of the malware. This is a rootkit problem thats very pesky. and check your task manager for any programs that look suspicious, one way i found it was i was using firefox and iexplore.exe was running in the background.

Comment by Chris — March 19, 2010 #

118. i follow your tips step by step.install the mbam&scan is complete&restart But the virus is still running so please give me some more tips to uninstall antivirus7

Comment by edwin — March 23, 2010 #

119. hi thanks been reading alll of your articles. they have been a big help. got malwarebytes to run and do a full scan. finds a stac of trojans. it cleans some up but it cant do all so it says will delete on reboot. so I re boot and the xp security virus is still there. pls pls help. it looks like i have to manually go into registry keys and make changes but I dont know how

Comment by diane — March 23, 2010 #

120. Edwin, start a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will check your PC.

Comment by Patrik — March 24, 2010 #

121. Another simpler way I found recently, cuz I’ve had this issue forever with not being able to update Malwarebytes – was to download Malwarebytes 1.45 beta. Just run the new Flash Memory scan. It found like 3 traces, after a required reboot, I could update Malwarebytes again. :). After updating, you should run the flash memory scan ‘n a full scan again. I found 1 more trace in flash memory after update, and a dozen more in full scan.

Comment by XtraTrstrL — March 26, 2010 #

122. AVG Grifsoft reported several Trojans on about 3/17/2010, could not remove all of them. Malwarebytes Antimalware executable mbam.exe was missing. AVG did not report anything more, popups stopped, but computer slow, expecially when booting WinXP.
    Tried to reinstall Malwarebytes Antimalware on 3/27/2010, renaming the downloaded installation executable, in renamed folders. Watched the installation on Windows Explorer: mbam.exe was always wiped out as soon as installed, before it could start.
    Downloaded mbam.exe with random name, started quick scan. It found 28 trojans/problems: Security.Hijack 1x, Disabled Security center 1x Wundo 1x, Wundo.H 25x.
    Updated definitions and started quick scan again. It found 4 trojans: Security.Hijack 3x, Trojan Dropper 1x.
    I have to reboot now. I will run quick scan until everything is clear and then full scan until everything is clear.

Comment by Vladimir Zajic — March 28, 2010 #

123. Hi, I did step1 with notepad, no problem.
    In step2 when click on “Download MalwareBytes Anti-malware (MBAM)”, it send you to the top of page to download “spyware doctor”. Instead of icon
    mbam-setup.exe, I have icon “spyware doctor” (pctsGui.exe) and after click on it, opens totaly different window “spyware doctor with antyvirus”.
    So, how to get “mbam-setup.exe” to open Majwarebites window ???

Comment by Dmitriy — March 29, 2010 #

124. Dmitriy, looks like you have clicked to a Google Ad. Open Malwarebytes Anti-malware link above, scroll down to direct link.

Comment by Patrik — March 29, 2010 #

125. You are my hero!

Comment by Dave — March 30, 2010 #

126. as simple as … big thanks!

Comment by Johns — March 31, 2010 #

127. None of this helped T_T Malwarebytes still wont install… I don’t know what I’m doing wrong… Everytime I click on the setup nothing happens. My mouse does the hourglass thing for 5 seconds then nothing…

Comment by Omtay — April 1, 2010 #

128. Omtay, you have tried TDSSKiller ?

Comment by Patrik — April 1, 2010 #

129. Ok I’ve googled for hours, followed a bunch of faqs and instructions and I’m to the point where I’m feeling hysterical enough to pull out my hair. Not one solution on any forum or website is working for me. My initial problem is trying to remove antivirus suite. I’ve downloaded HijackThis, MBAM, TDSSKiller, Avira Antivirus and the inherit exe to go with MBAM. I’ve tried to run every program and been stopped, I changed the filenames and have run all the programs in safe mode. MBAM always comes up with a runtime error when I try to run it, avira won’t install and always closes itself, and TDSSKiller runs, finds nothing then is closed with a prompt. I’m desperate for a solution.

Comment by Sean — April 3, 2010 #

130. Sean, open a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will check your computer.

Comment by Patrik — April 3, 2010 #

131. I’ve had the pop-ups going for 2 days, but i had this problem before and i don’t want it to get worse. I tried ccleaner but, it didn’t seem to work. I’m open for any suggestions. I’ve tried all the ways to download this. But with the spy-ware “XP Defender” (it’s the new name it’s chosen for the past hour) won’t let me download any .exe files. I keep getting the ““Windows cannot not access the specified device, path, or file. You may have inappropriate permissions to access the item” error”. And on that step, where is the the “malwarebytes Anti-malware home folder”, i can’t seem to find it.

Comment by Marcy — April 3, 2010 #

132. Marcy, you have tried the first step from the instructions before running Malwarebytes ?

Comment by Patrik — April 4, 2010 #

133. Thanks MalwareBytes – it worked a treat to get rid of the pesky pop up – but only once I’d downloaded it as zx-setup.com and ran it as such !

Comment by keithi — April 4, 2010 #

134. I TRIED TO INSTALL MALWAREBYTES , BUT SOME VIRUS WON’T LET ME. MESSAGE COMES UP SAYING VISTA SECURITY
    IS BLOCKING THE INSTALL OF YOUR PROGRAM….WHAT DO I DO TO OVERCOME IT AND INSTALL MALWAREBYTES IN MY SYSTEM? …..IRV SACKS

Comment by IRV — April 4, 2010 #

135. Yes Fix one? I tried that, but on firefox (internet explorer isn’t loading at all saids the website may pose a security threat,even on google)the download window pops up and saids “canceled” i see the icon on the desktop but when you press it nothing happens. And when you re-try the download (double click the failed download) it saids shows it was downloaded but, it disappears from the desktop and it doesn’t even go to the recycle bin, i checked.

Comment by Marcy — April 4, 2010 #

136. IRV, use the instruction.

Comment by Patrik — April 4, 2010 #

137. hye,,i have installed the malwarebytes, and it running accordingly..
    however, for the second step, to reset HOSTS file, there is no host file in my driver folder.
    so what should i do?

Comment by hanna — April 5, 2010 #

138. hanna, then make a new one and save it to HOSTS file “home folder”.

Comment by Patrik — April 5, 2010 #

139. Oh i found this strange too, even though it’s downloaded, and it does show up in the download folder, it saids 0 Kb.

Comment by Marcy — April 5, 2010 #

140. I love you guys for this :D

Comment by Anthony — April 5, 2010 #

141. After ending the process of ave.exe i made another account on windows! It downloaded and updated,what a relief. i did a quick scan because it’s late, but tomorrow I’ll try a full scan. I’m not sure if this spy-ware is gone but, I’ll check tomorrow for sure :) I’m so amazed of what Malwarebytes can do in so little time!

Comment by Marcy — April 5, 2010 #

142. Marcy, ask for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — April 5, 2010 #

143. i changed the name of the mbam file and it worked for a short time then my pc frozen. i tried a second time and i couldn`t launch the program. i need help.. thanx

Comment by aka_77 — April 5, 2010 #

144. aka_77, try TDSSKiller fix above.

Comment by Patrik — April 5, 2010 #

145. My computer shows many signs of having trojan’s and viruses on it and I’m trying to download Malwarebytes to remove them, and I’ve tried following the steps above but, its not working. I suspect that I have TDSS on my computer and have tried the killer but that hasn’t worked either. When I run it, it says to press any key…and when I do…the window just shuts down. I don’t know what to do and my computer is badly infected….PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Comment by Sabrina — April 6, 2010 #

146. By the way, I forgot to say that I also somehow got the XP smart security software on my computer….which makes it worse than ever!!! Please, Please HELP!!!

Comment by Sabrina — April 6, 2010 #

147. Sabrina, please start a new topic in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — April 7, 2010 #

148. Thank you for replying Patrik, but how can I start a new topic. I’m entirely new to this and need a lot of help…..please reply back with step by step instructions. Thank you so much! :)

Comment by Sabrina — April 7, 2010 #

149. Sabrina, follow the instructions.

Comment by Patrik — April 8, 2010 #

150. renaming the old and new malwarebytes .exe
    to .com allowed malwarebytes scanner to run for me. it took some practice with mouse speed and hand coordination, (with task manager open
    to the processes tab click “image name” tab
    to alphabetize the programs that are running). seems you only have a second after starting your good scan program to mouse over to Windows Task Manager to click on the offending virus/spyware program when it starts and “end task” . if your quick your .com scam program will start. i’m now scanning, after two weeks of messing with msconfig and regedit. thanks to all of you who helped me understand some of this stuff!!!!!
    I hope this Malwarebytes scan kills the source. ALSO four guys are being brought up on fraud charges for creating this crappy scam and ripping off pc illiterates for millions.
    they probably use the money for “good” lawyers.
    I hope someone out there can enlighten a news
    station do follow that legal story. ALSO, executing iexplorer seems to instigate the malware,
    so keep an eye on task manager for a coordinated
    malware program startup that you can kill.

Comment by patrick — April 11, 2010 #

151. ALSO , my problem has been “XP Antimalware”
    spelling correction on previous post:
    “if your quick your .com SCAN program will start.”
    by instigating various .exe programs you can witness the bad malware program starting up at the same time in task manager.

Comment by patrick — April 11, 2010 #

152. Hi, I have downloaded and run Malewarebytes but now when I have restarted none of my application items on the desktop work and some of the them will not open at all plus when I go into control panels some things wont open up!, has anyone come across this problem and solves it? Cheers for any help.

Comment by richard v — April 12, 2010 #

153. I have restarted none of my application items on the desktop work

What shows your PC when your trying run them ?

Comment by Patrik — April 12, 2010 #

154. If programs arent opening..

Step 1. Repair “running of .exe files”.

Click Start, Run. Type command and press Enter. Command console “black window” opens. Type notepad as shown below

Command console

Press Enter. Notepad opens. Copy all the text below into Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\secfile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\secfile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
    @=”\”%1\” %*”

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
    @=”exefile”
    “Content Type”=”application/x-msdownload”

Save this as fix.reg to your Desktop (remember to select Save as file type: All files in Notepad.) Double Click fix.reg and click YES for confirm.

I think this will fix?

Comment by Jake — April 13, 2010 #

155. Jake, yes, you right.

Comment by Patrik — April 13, 2010 #

156. WOW!, Thank you gentlemen (Jake, Patrick), you sirs and your advice are worth their weight in gold. Done exactly as you said and it worked. Thanks again.

Comment by richard v — April 13, 2010 #

157. OK, wasted day on this mess. I have the xp smart security mess. I tried one fix I found on this site, which had me create a fix.exe file, then download malwarebytes, install and run it. I was able to create the file, but it wouldn’t run because it said registry updated were disabled. I thought I could go ahead and still try to install malwarebytes. It allowed me to install it, but after two scans…each taking over an hour, when it said it was complete, I selected ok, and then it simply closed. I was never given the option to fix or remove the issues. So, I did some more searching and found the other fix, which had me create the fix.ini file, select install and then reboot. I also found what appears to be a more up to date version of malwarebytes (this one has 1.45 in the file name). The install of the fix.ini went well, the reboot ok, I was able to install malwarebytes and it is currently scanning…but concerned it is still going to close. Suggestions?

Comment by Michelle — April 14, 2010 #

158. OK, it worked, so all set. Thanks so much for this site!!! Wish I found it earlier.

Comment by Michelle — April 14, 2010 #

159. Michelle, try run Malwarebytes from Safe mode or ask for help in our Spyware removal forum. I will check your PC.

Comment by Patrik — April 15, 2010 #

160. I installed malwarebytes then run a scan and tried to fix the hijacked files and the program closes and comes up with an error I really need some help it would be really appreciated

Comment by Anthony — April 16, 2010 #

161. Thanks…I had the XP antimalware 2010 popup..nothing worked, luckily I found this through going through the aol software..and surfed..this is what worked for me…

Fix 2: Change Malwarebytes Anti-malware or another security program installation file extension.
    Turn on “show file extensions for known file types” by doing:

Double-click on the My Computer icon.
    Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
    After the new window appears select the View tab.
    Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
    Press the Apply button and then the OK button.
    Now your computer is configured to show file extensions for known file types.
    Right-click on an installation file (the mbam-setup.exe file for Malwarebytes Anti-malware) and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr. Press Enter and then double-click on it to run.

I hope this helps everyone to defeat these monsters…

Thanks for the help

Comment by Rick — April 16, 2010 #

162. windows defender pro can go to tell with this program!!

very nice! thanx to malwarebytes! haha

Comment by Damien — April 17, 2010 #

163. Anthony, open a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will check your PC.

Comment by Patrik — April 17, 2010 #

164. Just to say thank you – followed your steps and my mum’s PC is clean again, which means I can enjoy the rest of my cup of tea in peace! :-)

Comment by Jessica — April 19, 2010 #

165. OMG Thank you SO much! I’ve just spent the best part of my afternoon trying to get rid of this damn thing! I have NO idea how it got there in the first place I don’t download stuff very often but yeah, Finally I found this website and got rid of the damn thing. I didn’t think I’d stop getting those bloody messages pop up every three seconds!

Thank you!

Comment by Cazzy — April 20, 2010 #

166. I trying to remove XP defender pro and cannot get the Malwarebytes to show results. I have run the scan twice and each time when I hit “OK” at the end the program closes. I have tried to run it in safemode but can’t get to run. It keeps asking me what program I would like to use to open the file. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comment by Allison — April 21, 2010 #

167. Allison, start a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will check your PC.

Comment by Patrik — April 22, 2010 #

168. I can perform a scan, but when it completes, I click ok (Or the X to close the message) and malwarebytes closes, as far as I know this is stopping me from doing the next step – the ‘remove selected’ button stage.
    Thanks in advance ^_^

Comment by Connor — April 26, 2010 #

169. Hello. I did the .inf fix and then tried to fix the .exe but I can’t get the registry editor to open. I keep getting an error box that says, “C:\Windows\system32\clb.dll is ither not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error…” I am so stuck.

Comment by Dan — April 27, 2010 #

170. Dan, open a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will check your PC.

Comment by Patrik — April 28, 2010 #

171. You have to go into your program files and change the exe for ‘Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware’ to a different name

*The reasoning behind this is that the virus itself will actively block ‘Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware’ so it won’t be removed, and if you change the name of the exe program to something else, the virus won’t be able to block it. I changed my file name to ‘Steam’ and it worked fine.

**Props to this site for this easy solution, I wouldn’t have thought of it myself

Comment by Malwarebytes User — April 28, 2010 #

172. It should be noted that if cannot get Malwarebytes to install, download the file, rename the setup.exe and run it. You are given two opportunities to change the name of the folder and something else which I can’t remember but it says “Malwarebytes Anti-Malware”. RENAME ALL OF THESE instead of just the .exe. file and then everything should work just me.

It seems in my case, Digital Protection won’t let anything run that is associated with Malwarebytes or within a folder that is named that.

Comment by ElitistGee — April 29, 2010 #

173. I have recovered my computer system from personal security, thanks to malware, although I still have the personal security icon in my toolbar and in windows setting / control panel. How do fix this?

Comment by Norbert — May 12, 2010 #

174. Norbert, probably the rogue uses an icon of legitimate Windows components. If you think that your PC is still infected, then open a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will check your PC.

Comment by Patrik — May 12, 2010 #

175. I’ve tried everything listed here several times and Malwarebytes won’t run. I’ve tried everything I can think of to no avail.

This doesn’t bode well for the internet. I’ve got users who don’t have admin rights getting infected just by browsing the web. You used to be able to defeat these with safe mode and the proper removal tool. Not anymore.

Comment by Tim — May 13, 2010 #

176. Follow up to my previous post.

I’ve discovered that some rogue anti-viruses disable Malwarebytes by preventing it from loading it’s definition database.

Uninstall Malwarebytes and run mbam-clean.exe from the Malwarebytes website. Reinstall Malwarebytes, let it load and update, and scan. This worked for me.

Comment by Tim — May 17, 2010 #

177. I don’t know how many Vista users are having this problem, but I found an easy solution: if you’re having trouble running .exe files, simply run the file as the Administrator (left click it) and it should run fine. I just did that and ran Maleware and it deleted everything fine.

Comment by Bryan — June 4, 2010 #

178. plz i need help!! everytime i use full computer scan/quick scan on the malwarebytes Anti-malware a error message pops up and tells me to report it to malwarebytes support team, the message is ” MBAM_ERROR_LOAD_QUARANTINE(0,6), everytime after i click ok it shows a object infected. after the scan is done it says you have successfully delet it. but when i re-scan it, it shows the exact same trogen.plz help!!

Comment by jin — June 9, 2010 #

179. jin, please start a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will check your PC.

Comment by Patrik — June 9, 2010 #

180. Hey Patrik, I do not know which trojan or virus I have but on the web i click on a link and it redirects to a google search and shows the main url of the page i was going to. For example:
    GOOGLE [www.myantispyware.com ]

Also i have downloaded Mbam 1.46 fine, but when i try to run or open the .exe nothing happens. no error messages or anything. Do you have any idea of what problem i have?

Comment by Evan — June 25, 2010 #

181. Evan, start a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will help you.

Comment by Patrik — June 26, 2010 #

182. OMFG!!!! PLZ HELP WHOEVER IS SENT FROM HEAVEN BY GOD I AM IN DEEP TROUBLE!!! I TRIED REMOVING THESE INFECTED ITEMS AND THEY WONT GET DELETED! THEN I TRY UPDATING BUT AN ERROR MESSAGE COMES UP!! I CANNOT DO ANYTHING PLZ HELP!!!!!

Comment by Alex — July 13, 2010 #

183. THE UPDATING SOLUTIONS WONT WORK… I TRY UPDATING FROM THE “HERE” LINKS AND I CANT FIND THE MBAM-RULES.EXE!!!

Comment by Alex — July 13, 2010 #

184. Updating(Solved) mine already is the 1.46 anywayz… ._. Now i just need to find a way to remove infected Registry Keys…!!!

Comment by Alex — July 14, 2010 #

185. Is this solution free? I am getting asked for money at the end of it. And, I am getting asked for a similar amount to the amount that the virus company is asking me for. Am I doing something wrong?

Comment by Chris — August 2, 2010 #

186. Chris, of course the instructions above is free. Probably you have clicked to a google ads ?

Comment by Patrik — August 2, 2010 #

187. I have successfully remove the antivirone spyware.
    I couldnt run malwarebytes but as I had partitioned the drive,I installed it on the other partition and it updated and deleted the spyware.
    Previously I had tried taking the drive out and scanning it on a clean pc but couldnt remove it all.I hope this helps.

Comment by jim — August 15, 2010 #

188. I have tried everything here but cannot get either malwarebytes or tdsskiller to start. After downloading them on another machine, transferring them on USB, I was able to install them but cannot run the programs. I have changed the names of the files but still cannot get them to run. please help!!!

Comment by luke — August 30, 2010 #

189. also, is there any risk with this infection or is it just annoying?

Comment by luke — August 30, 2010 #

190. luke, what shows you PC when you trying run any application ? Malwarebytes ?

Comment by Patrik — August 31, 2010 #

191. I hit this problem and immediately turned off my computer and disconnected from the internet. Not my computer will not reboot. It is stuck in a loop with the start up screen then back to the booting up again and over and over. It will not start in safe mode or last working config. So what do I do now……

Comment by Linda — September 6, 2010 #

192. Oh and also during this loop process a blue screen flashes up but so quickly I cant see what it says….

Comment by Linda — September 6, 2010 #

193. Linda, what is your version of Windows?

Comment by Patrik — September 6, 2010 #

194. Hello Mr. Patrik. I posted my problem in the forums. Please help me. Thank you so much. :(

Comment by Leaf — September 7, 2010 #

195. Couldn’t update. Went to a clean computer and got the udpate. Did a quick scan. I got rid of what it told me to. I still get redirects to search pages of movie download sites. This redirect thing is driving me nuts. I still can’t update malwarebytes on this infected computer.

Comment by DaveD — September 10, 2010 #

196. I have the “microsoft security essentials alert” and it won’t let me type, run, open, ANYTHING and I can’t even click on to my desktop after 5 seconds.. How will I be able to open anything? :(

Comment by Jennifer — September 11, 2010 #

197. DaveD, you have tried the TDSSKiller ?

Comment by Patrik — September 11, 2010 #

198. Jennifer, try the instructions.

Comment by Patrik — September 11, 2010 #

199. Hi, I’m using windows7. I get message saying my computer is infected. I’m using Mcafee Total Protection. If i open browser the page says buy antivirus software. But i can use gtalk. All Mcafee logo is replaced with some junk antivirus s/w logo.
    Help appreciated..

Comment by harsh — September 11, 2010 #

200. I just reset my router and then updated malwarebytes the problem may be in your router not the computer. I also reset my modem.

Followed these instructions.

Saved a day of headaches.

Comment by ghoakie — September 11, 2010 #

201. Note. Before hand I had tried everything else including TDSSKiller. Renaming Malwarebytes let me run it but not update it. Good Luck

Comment by ghoakie — September 11, 2010 #

202. After following the instructions I posted and running updated malwarebytes everything seems to be fine.

Comment by ghoakie — September 11, 2010 #

203. Hello Mr. Patrik, I already posted my reply on my thread few days ago. Please help me.

Comment by Leaf — September 11, 2010 #

204. harsh, reboot your computer in Safe mode with networking. Run Internet Explorer, Click Tools -> Internet Options. Select Connections Tab and click to Lan Settings button. Uncheck “Use a proxy server” box. Click OK and click OK again. Download Malwarebytes and perform a scan.

Comment by Patrik — September 12, 2010 #

205. MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal

End of file – 15098 bytes

Comment by andrew — September 23, 2010 #

206. i need help……. my firewall wont run and my pc is acting weird…. it wont open any antivirus programs and i think it is infected with a virus it will go to other sites when im trying to in stall a anti virus program and then when i install them they wont run plus my other antivirus programs dont see any viruses plz help!!! i dont want my pc to dye :(

Comment by andrew — September 23, 2010 #

207. I”ve install malwarebytes, once installed it worked.Ten i press scan, it closed…I”ve try to rename the files but its says acces denied. Im really tired of the Mofo antimalware doctor and dont want to lose all i have on my computer.Please Help me!

Comment by RedQueen — September 23, 2010 #

208. your advice worked like a charm…thanks very much!

Comment by John — September 25, 2010 #

209. andrew,
    Run HijackThis. Click “Do a system scan only” button.
    Now select the following entries by placing a tick in the left hand check box, if still present:
    O4 – HKCU\..\Run: [ASH24SXZ9S] C:\DOCUME~1\Maria\LOCALS~1\Temp\Qwd.exe
    O17 – HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{743388F1-F4B0-4F7C-B309-6B4CF807C2EE}: NameServer = 93.188.163.71,93.188.166.106
    O17 – HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{7BF1F579-BB43-4286-8AA0-80965B9C2911}: NameServer = 93.188.163.71,93.188.166.106
    O17 – HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 93.188.163.71,93.188.166.106
    O17 – HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 93.188.163.71,93.188.166.106
    O17 – HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 93.188.163.71,93.188.166.106
    Once you have selected all entries, close all running programs then click once on the “fix checked” button.
    Then try download and run Malwarebytes once again.

Comment by Patrik — September 25, 2010 #

210. RedQueen, probably your PC also infected with a TDSS trojan. Try run TDSSKiller. Look the instructions above.

Comment by Patrik — September 25, 2010 #

211. OMG, u rock! Renaming the .exe file worked famously! I knew there was something wrong with this computer :0)

Comment by hackerh8r — October 11, 2010 #

212. Thank you so much. My little “gift” removed the .exe extension from the mbam file. I discovered this by following your advice and added back the extension. Hey presto – my scan is now running and hopefully the problem will be fixed very soon.

Comment by Kate Barlow — October 19, 2010 #

213. u rock dude…
    couldnt believe renaming a file would make it work…
    had trouble with spybot not starting up too… click the icon and nothing happens, would this work on that too?
    youre a diamond mate..!!
    thanx x 100,000,000
    :o)

Comment by philphat — October 19, 2010 #

214. Have followed instructions for removing think point but it has left internet explorer not working so had to download the MBAM onto a memory stick via a friends computer – It ran when i copied it over but found 545 infected files – recommending i purchase the full version to fix – Is this necessary – If so – Can i do so with a memory stick from friends computer again?? demented since thursday!!

Comment by Norah — October 24, 2010 #

215. Wasted a whole weekend trying to get rid of Security Tool…tried all suggestions and nothing worked. Then I found Trend Micro Housecall. Downloaded it from a clean computer to a USB stick. Then ran it on the infected computer in Safe Mode with Networking. Ran “scan whole computer”. It found all of the bad guys and fixed them. Infected computer is back to normal. Hope it works for everyone else with this rotten apple.

Comment by KeS — October 26, 2010 #

216. Sorry about that I have a problem with my pc and no site can help me.I can install malwarebytes update but I only run a scan in safe mode.Now it doesn’t find anything in safe mode.So I return to windows the programs still gives me error and won’t scan please help.

Comment by Lee — November 10, 2010 #

217. Lee, what the error ?

Comment by Patrik — November 11, 2010 #

218. I can’t scan in window malwarebytes in windows but I can scan in safe mode.And I know something is wrong because I was able to watch youtube now I’m not able too.And at times my pc freezes in safe mode where I can’t use a thing.I’ve tried everything.Once I used combofix and I was able to make updates to the program because before I wasn’t able too.

Oh malwarebytes in safe mode didn’t find a thing.

Comment by Lee — November 11, 2010 #

219. Sorry this was the error I recevied An error has occured.Please report this error to our support team.
    MBAM_ERROR_MEMORY_SCAN (0,48)

Run-time error’48′:
    File not found: advapi32

Run-time error ’0′

Comment by Lee — November 11, 2010 #

220. Lee, probably your computer is infected with a hidden trojan-rootkit. Start a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will help you to remove this malware.

Comment by Patrik — November 12, 2010 #

221. I just did the malwarebytes quick scan, but I still have thinkpoint pop up every time I restart my computer. I keep scanning and there’s always these 3 objects infected. It wont go away even when I quarantine and delete them. How do I completely remove thinkpoint?

Comment by Ava — November 24, 2010 #

222. Ava, ask for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — November 25, 2010 #

223. Does malwarebytes work on windows 7 systems. Picked up a virus with the red screen and the guy holding a stop sign telling me it can’t connect to web site and to click here to fix my computer. This is the place shown below.

websiteblockonline.com browser hijacker

I downloaded malwarbyte and did a full scan and it found no problems. Yes I did the update and we were in safe mode. Does it work with windows 7

Comment by Larry — December 2, 2010 #

224. Larry, looks like your computer is infected with a new malware. Try update malwarebytes once again and perform a fresh scan. If it does not help, then start a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will help you.

Comment by Patrik — December 4, 2010 #

225. Please help!

I can download and install malwarebyte’s antimalware, but after i start a new scan after ~10 seconds program shutting down. I had a defragmenter malware, but i’ve deleted it. Please any help how to run scan?

Comment by Juozapas — December 18, 2010 #

226. Juozapas, begin a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will help you to remove this malware.

Comment by Patrik — December 18, 2010 #

227. Please Help!
    My laptop has been horribly infected by the Internet Antivirus 2011 virus. I can no longer access the internet from the laptop. After reading this site these are the steps I have taken but have been unsuccessful in running the Malware software.

1. I saved the install program to an external flashdrive. I tried running it but ran into issues as the Malware program was trying to access the internet to download files and I came onto a page asking for the ip address. So I moved on to step 2.
    2. I actually installed the Malware software on the flashdrive. But when I tried running it when attached to the laptop. I got 2 runtime errors. The first one the screen heading \vbAcceerator S GridII Control\ Runtime 0. And the ohter \Malwarebyte Antimalware runtime 440 Automation Error\

Oh and I also tried renaming the exe before running it.

Please help. Any suggestions. Would be so appreciated. My 2 1/2 year old son misses the laptop too. He’s already tried calling the \bad man\ to yell at him for breaking his computer. Cute but besides making me laugh it too did not solve the problem.

Any further suggestions would be very greatly appreciated.

Sandra

Comment by Sandra — December 18, 2010 #

228. Sandra, try the following:
    Click Start, type in Search field
    cmd
    Press Enter. It will open a Command console.
    Type
    regsvr32 mbamext.dll
    Press Enter.Type
    regsvr32 ssubtmr6.dll
    Press Enter.Type
    regsvr32 vbalsgrid6.ocx
    Press Enter.Type
    regsvr32 zlib.dll
    Press Enter.
    Now try run Malwarebytes once again.

Comment by Patrik — December 22, 2010 #

229. Hi I have this virus/malware. I had a run in with its first incarnation in Virus Scan 2010 and was able to get rid of it with Malwarebytes in November. This time I am having significantly more difficulty. I think I made the mistake of not updating Malwarebytes before running it. It found one unwanted program and deleted it. However when my computer rebooted the malware was still there and Malwarebytes wont run. I rebooted in safe mode but malwarebytes still would not run. I also no have no access to the internet on that computer. Antivir which is the antivirus software I have would run and detected 5 virus/malware programs and quarentined them however after full reboot the Virus/Malware is still there and preventing malwarebytes from running and preventing access to the internet. Antivir is currently running another scan. If that fails then what?

Comment by Eric B — January 15, 2011 #

230. Eric, download fresh updates (mbam-rules) and move this file to your infected computer through cd-disk or flash drive.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — January 16, 2011 #

231. Thank you my dear. You helped me more. Best wishes for you.

Comment by Hassan — January 26, 2011 #

232. hi people

I am so very glad that your advice on how to remove the virus on my pc was very effective,i could not run the anti mbam but after reading your comments , i downloaded it on to a usb which could be ran there after. AM SO GRATEFUL. thank you very very very very much :) :-p

Comment by coxty — January 30, 2011 #

233. I could not find mbam.ex. in safemode I ran Malwarebytes and no infections were found. Even in safemode the fake warning comes up. Any help is appreciated.

Comment by Steven — February 18, 2011 #

234. Thanx a million ! I got rid of Windows Optimal Settings virus by using “Fix 1 – Rename Main Executable File” a treat !

Comment by Bill — February 19, 2011 #

235. Steven, start a new topic in our Spyware removal forum. I will help you to remove this malware.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — February 20, 2011 #

236. Thank you so much! Ran the TDSSKiller which found 1 infection. Rebooted and now all my services start and I can run Malwarebytes!

Comment by Damien Stamnes — February 25, 2011 #

237. cannot update my malwarebytes i have the full paid for version help please

Comment by dwayne joy — February 27, 2011 #

238. Finally I got rid of this nightmare with the help of this website. Thank you.

Comment by Bev — February 27, 2011 #

239. Hi there, everything is running fine with me, but Malware does not detect any System Tool when I do the quick scan. Any advice?

Comment by Luis Tovar — March 3, 2011 #

240. dwayne, try update Malwarebytes manually. Read the instructions above.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — March 4, 2011 #

241. Luis, read my comments here -> http://www.myantispyware.com/2010/10/24/how-to-remove-system-tool-and-systemtool-uninstall-instructions/
    to remove System tool using HijackThis.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — March 4, 2011 #

242. I have some sort of Microsoft Security Essentials Alert malware.

The infection quickly shuts down anything I try to run: malwarebytes; mcafee; etc.. I’ve tried name changing but after a few seconds running the virus catches on and shuts down the programme.

Three hours into this problem. Help, please.

Francis

Comment by francis — March 11, 2011 #

243. Update on above: I’ve tried starting in Safe mode but virus won’t let browsers work. Using a borrowed pc to access internet.

Cheers,

Francis

Comment by francis — March 11, 2011 #

244. Success (I hope)

Created a new user account – allowed me to install Malawarebytes without trojan popup.

Then opened original account. Popup appeared but it let me run Malawarebytes this time and was successfully torched.

Many thanks!

Francis

Comment by francis — March 11, 2011 #

245. I got my laptop (windows vista) infected with system tool malware today and unfortunately none of these work:
    1. Safe mode option is not available
    2. Can not open any of the exe files. I tried renaming mbam.exe to iexplore.exe and so on but couldn’t launch it
    3. Can not open notepad
    4. Can not open Control Panel

I can only browse the web using my web browser.

What other option I have? Please help..

Comment by pramod — March 23, 2011 #

246. pramod, you have tried to create a new user account, log into it and try perform the steps above ?

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — March 23, 2011 #

247. cannot find a file named anythin like TDSSserv.sys

Comment by crystal cooper — March 24, 2011 #

248. still trying…. wont let me rename or exe repair try the rest of my options

Comment by crystal — March 24, 2011 #

249. Ok so I was able to install and run Malware bytes ran it did a quick scan and found 2 infected files one which was the same (numbers).exe running from program data when I went to the task manager which was the virus “windows repair”.

So now that I got the2 infected files quarantined I restarted my computer and now the windows repair pop window don’t come out anymore but I still can’t see any programs in the start menu, when I go to my computer and want to explore the C drive it’s just says it’s empty and all my personal folder such as documents, music, pictures etc are all gone I can’t see them either…. All I wanna do is back up everything!!!!

So what I wanna know is what’s going on do I still have the virus somewhere in my registry this virus is really annoying :(

Comment by Martin — March 26, 2011 #

250. Martin, probably your computer is still infected. Ask for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — March 28, 2011 #

251. hey Patrik i have a problem it wont let me download anything! its says your current security setting do not allow this file to be downloaded? plz help

Comment by Matt — March 30, 2011 #

252. Matt, boot your PC in Safe mode with networking, then reset browser proxy settings (run Internet Explorer, click Tools -> Internet Options. Select Connections Tab and click to Lan Settings button. Uncheck “Use a proxy server” box. Click OK and click OK again) and try to download Malwarebytes once again.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — March 31, 2011 #

253. I am really annoyed. I am not that good with computers when it comes to the really hard stuff. My laptop is infected with the Win 7 Anti Spyware crap and I can’t get rid of it. I already have Malwarebytes but it won’t run. I tried to do the fixes above but I think I only made it worse. I can uninstall Malwarebytes but I will not be able to download it again as this stupid virus is not allowing me to get to any website. Please help!!

Comment by Jessica — April 9, 2011 #

254. I am beyond upset and annoyed now. I tried to leave a comment but your site didn’t take it. Now I have to type it all over again. My laptop is infected with the Win 7 Anti Spyware crap. I already have Malwarebytes but it will not run. I tried running it in Safe Mode but it won’t there either. I tried to do the fixes above but I think I may have touched the wrong file when doing the rename. I can’t download it again because I am being blocked from going to any website. Please help me!!!!!!!

Comment by Jessica — April 9, 2011 #

255. I have the windows fix disk virus, I’ve followed all the steps but I can’t do the malware bytes bit. It isn’t updating properly, I’ve done everything you said but I still can’t catch it. It only picked up like 2 things and the virus is still there

Comment by Kim — April 15, 2011 #

256. Is there a link to run tdsskiller from directly? I cannot run from computer download.

Comment by jim — April 19, 2011 #

257. I had the Antivirus 2011 and currently using vista. I downloaded this antivirus called STOPzilla. It found the antivirus but its saying I have to buy the full product to remove it. I ignored it but the anitvirus is gone(I think). Now when ever I try to open .exe file a *open with* window shows up. I don’t know what to do here so I closed it. I can run firefox and other stuff by right clicking and pressing start, thats how I was able to download malwarbytes but It said I still have to purchase to remove the infected files. I have this online game I want to play but when I try to right click start, it won’t open. Normal clicking any .exe file will just bring up the *open with* window. Please help me and I don’t want to purchase anything to fix a 2011 anitvirus scam. I am using Vista

Comment by Bon — April 22, 2011 #

258. I had the same problem where I could not open Malwarebytes no matter if I changed the name or the extension. What worked for me was creating a new user account, restarting, then logging in under the new user. This allowed me to be able to get online, download malwarebytes fresh and do a full scan! Thanks you so much for that tip because I had been trying for a full day to get rid of this mess!

Comment by Carla — April 24, 2011 #

259. Bon, download Malwarebytes from myantispyware.com/mbam
    Run it and perform a full scan.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — April 27, 2011 #

260. I’m pretty sure I’m in love with you. I’ve been trying to get this malware virus off my computer for three days now and I wasn’t able to install Malwarebytes but changing it to .com instead of .exe, it’s been installed and I’m about to scan. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Comment by Trevor — May 12, 2011 #

How does one access or find all of ones programs again after the Windows repair virus has done its work?

Malewarebytes, plus a few other antivirus programmes have done their work – in that they have managed to remove a number of virusz off my laptop, but now I cannot find Word etc.?

Comment by Jean Morrissey — June 22, 2011 #

262. I have malware calling itself XP internet security 2012 firewall alert on my laptop. I have downloaded malwarebytes antimalware on my external hardrive from another computer, but it won’t run on my laptop. I have changed the name to all things suggested above. I have run in safe mode of all variations. I have tried the tddskiller which won’t work either. The malware has complete control of my laptop and won’t even let me open a new user account as it says windows is a virus. I’m out of ideas, any help gratefully received! Thank you :)

Comment by suzanne — June 26, 2011 #

263. I have tried renaming Malwarebytes etc.
    Still no success.
    I can’t even rebbot into safe mode via F8 key.
    Personal Shield Pro blocks me from entering all sorts of virus cleaner/protectors.
    Is purchasing this package the only solution?
    Please help! don’t want to lose files.

Comment by Johlei — June 26, 2011 #

My grandson by mistake down loaded “XP Antivirus 2012″ while using face book resulting in the obvious consequences,despite my best efforts I was unable to remove the Malware because my security programs would not run. Then I decided to try one more time, I ran system restore in safe mode and restored it to its last good setting and “A Presto “everything is up and running again. My grandson runs a E machine notebook using XP OS.To finish I updated his security system and run the necessary scans,Malwarebytes found a small problem and it ended up the vault.

I hope you find this useful.

Phill.

Comment by Phillip Price — June 28, 2011 #

265. suzanne, try the instructions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qyFEDQuO1c

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — July 2, 2011 #

266. Hey guys, I’ve tried all of the above suggestions going from re-naming it to running it in safe mode.

I can install MBAM but when the window comes up and i can click scan, but as soon as i do this the window will do a few seconds of the scan the shut down. When i try to re-open any anti virus software i keep getting the same error message: Windows cannot find the specified file name etc or you may not have sufficient authorization to do so.

If anyone has any tips or help please message me :)

Comment by Lauren — July 23, 2011 #

267. Lauren, you have tried to run TDSSKiller before Malwarebytes ?

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — July 24, 2011 #

268. i am running into the same exact problem. i followed everyone of the steps above, but my computer is still sick… what do i do next?

Comment by jennifer — August 2, 2011 #

269. So, I had the data recovery virus and walked through the steps above…had to play with file names a bit and I can tell you that renaming the exe files with something random worked like a dreamed! Was able to successfully run Malawarebytes and TDSSkiller – result were pretty consistent with the instructions above…however, now that the virus appears to be gone, my desktop, favorites, program files, etc. keep defaulting back to some generic configuration. I tried to unhide all my user data, as well as all user data but I think I’m missing something simple and making this harder than it needs to be…any suggestions on how to get my settings back to where they used to be? I have windows xp and the entire family uses one login (which is still sitting in the background intact but I can’t get it to load). Thanks so much for your help over the years. You’ve saved me lots of tears and your assistance has been better than anything I could get from our local IT guys.

Comment by Kay — September 21, 2011 #

270. Thank you very much for this ! ! !

TDSS Killer managed to remove the trojans that was preventing malwarebytes from updating.
    Inhibit then allowed it to run properly as it had been crashing half way through the scan.

Just a note for everyone, do not use Zonealarm as it is very system heavy especially on laptops. It also failed to prevent the trojans and malware that I had caught from simply viewing a website.

I’m switching to Avast now, hopefully with better results.

Again, thank you for your time and effort !

Comment by Himeko — September 30, 2011 #

271. Thanks it helped me get rid of that crappy Online Guard Antivirus. This site was a life saver. Thanks guys!

Comment by Dave — October 22, 2011 #

272. I have installet the malwarebyte but it doesnt work when i click on its shortcut

Comment by Mojgan — April 14, 2012 #

273. Windows Crucial Scanner has infected my laptop, which is awesome. I’ve been following all your steps in How To Remove windows crucial scanner, and so far it has all worked except this: I’m trying to download Malwarebyte’s Anti-Malware and it’s not downloading. The screen says, “Your download will begin in a moment…” and I’m not sure how long their definition of a moment is but it’s been like 15 minutes. When I visit the Download Help Center, none of the tips seem to apply to my situation. I tried the Publisher Profile thing, and it just led me to the same place. Helppp

Comment by Maggie — April 15, 2012 #

274. Thank you so much. I was ready to pull my hair out. Your help is so much appreciated.

Comment by Gena Weiser — April 22, 2012 #

275. Thank you!!

Comment by Scott — May 2, 2012 #

276. Hello.When i finish install the malware,I double click the icon it can’t work on my laptop . And everytime i want to open the task tool manager , the windows abnormality checker will open .

Comment by Joseph — May 13, 2012 #

277. Joseph, try follow the 2.3-2.4 steps above.

Comment by Patrik (Myantispyware admin) — May 14, 2012 #

278. just run the computer in safe mode by pressing F8 when start up and then u can install anything :)

Comment by senthil — May 24, 2012 #

279. Thank God I read through all of these questions and answers before I did anything! I just went ahead and changed the name to winiguard.exe and it asked if I wanted to update. I clicked yes, and then it updated fine, so I then clicked on full scan and as I write this (on my desktop), my laptop (Vista) has detected 18 objects so far. Whew, it’s been a long and hurting 3 days (with a broken clavical bone!) Patrick, you are a saint! I didn’t even go through the steps above and just went by what worked for others. Thank you so much for your time invested! Let’s just hope this gets through ALL of my Drive and doesn’t quit on me! If it does…tomorrow is another day. I just can’t deal with this any longer tonight! Thanks again Patrick, and all of those who went through the trial and errors!

Comment by Leslie — June 16, 2012 #

280. thank you a lot

Comment by Edwin — July 26, 2012 #

281. I simply downloaded Malwarebytes on a laptop, transferred it to the desktop infected with sodding live security platinum then right clicked / copy / paste and ran the copy of Malwarebytes, installed and ran a full scan

Comment by Ted — August 31, 2012 #

282. Great information. Lucky me I found your
    website by chance (stumbleupon). I’ve saved it for later!

Comment by pl — February 7, 2014 #

283. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hours and days and weeks long of the annoying issue…couldn’t run antimalware from external hdd, couldn’t download anything, but the idea of changing mbam setup to stopzilla.exe worked!!!!! THNX XAVIER….ONLY THING NEEDED WAS TO DOWNLOAD SETUP TO FOREIGN DEVICE and plug, rename, and run as normal.

Comment by alex — March 29, 2014 #