Total Protect 2009 is rogue antispyware program. The fake antispyware uses a trojan to install itself. Once infected with the trojan your computer will display fake security alerts stating that your computer is infected with malware. If you are clicking on the fake alert, then opens up a Total Protect 2009 homesite asking you to purchase the program.
During installation, Total Protect 2009 configures itself to run automatically every time, when you start your computer. Once running, Total Protect 2009 will scan your computer and reports false or exaggerated system security threats on the computer that cannot be removed unless you first purchase the software. Also it finds are legitimate programs and labels them as spyware. Total Protect 2009 uses these false infections and false positives to trick you into buying the program.
Symptoms in a HijackThis Log.
O4 – HKLM\..\Run: [Total Protect 2009] C:\Program Files\Total Protect 2009\pcpc_starter.exe
Use the following instructions to remove Total Protect 2009 (Uninstall instructions).
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-malware (MBAM). Close all programs and Windows on your computer.
- Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application. When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing, make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
- If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
- Once the program has loaded, select “Perform Quick Scan”, then click Scan.
- The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
Total Protect 2009 creates the following files and folders.
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Run Total Protect 2009.lnk
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Total Protect 2009
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Total Protect 2009\Remove Total Protect 2009.lnk
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Total Protect 2009\Run Total Protect 2009.lnk
c:\Program Files\Total Protect 2009
c:\Program Files\Total Protect 2009\gfx.bin
c:\Program Files\Total Protect 2009\options.ini
c:\Program Files\Total Protect 2009\TotalProtect2009.exe
c:\Program Files\Total Protect 2009\TotalProtect2009.exe.MANIFEST
c:\Program Files\Total Protect 2009\TotalProtect2009_start_setup.exe
c:\Program Files\Total Protect 2009\tp_starter.exe
c:\Program Files\Total Protect 2009\uninstall.exe
c:\Program Files\Total Protect 2009\uninstall.log
c:\Program Files\Total Protect 2009\vbase.ini
c:\Program Files\Total Protect 2009\lang
c:\Program Files\Total Protect 2009\lang\english.lng
If you need help with the instructions, then post your questions in our Spyware Removal forum.