How to uninstall combofix

Combofix by sUBs very good free anti spyware program.
But after using, you may uninstall it from your PC.

Go to to Start > Run
Type in box

combofix /uninstall

Note: the space between the X and the /u

Press Enter.

This command will:

• Delete the following:

ComboFix and its associated files and folders.
    VundoFix backups, if present
    The C:\Deckard folder, if present
    The C:_OtMoveIt folder, if present

• Reset the clock settings.
  • Hide file extensions, if required.
  • Hide System/Hidden files, if required.
  • Reset System Restore.
March 26, 2008 on 9:45 am | In Tips | 44 Comments |

1. thanks

Comment by rich statz — December 6, 2008 #

2. Best spy removal Antivirus

Comment by ayyappan — December 16, 2008 #

3. It was the only anti-spyware that seemed to get rid of my virtumonde (or whatever it was called) trojun problem (after trying to do it for two days).

Comment by Neal — January 4, 2009 #

4. hi sir thanks the combofix is a amazing software but i hav a problem ……
    i was using quick heal antivirus and its firewall protection was not on and bcoz of which trojan entered in my PC …
    so i run combofix in my pc by disabling antivirus
    then i installed avast after removing quick heal
    but then also it is showing trojan in win 32 what should i do

Comment by rishi verma — February 5, 2009 #

5. If you want uninstall combofix, then you should disable Avast before it.

Comment by Patrik — February 6, 2009 #

6. VundoFix backups, if present – lol , but i need it now! ComboFIx helped me a lot and now i have 32 dll problems! The return of VundoFix!

Comment by AngelPL98 — April 19, 2009 #

7. After scanning with combofix my control panel icon was gone.I cant retrieve my control panel.how do i remove combofix on my pc and what to do for retrieve my control panel.

Comment by vijay — May 8, 2009 #

8. Restart your computer
    After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
    Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear.
    Select the Last Known Good Configuration

Comment by Patrik — May 9, 2009 #

9. i have some problem after i installed combofix… my anti virus(avast) not updating properly and also i cant uninstall the combofix eventhough i give cmd in run prompt (start–>combofix /u) its not uninstalling……….im waiting for ur replay

with regards
    praveen

Comment by praveen — May 28, 2009 #

10. Probably you infected with virus/trojan that blocks antivirus autoupdate and using combofix. If you need a help, ask it at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — May 28, 2009 #

11. combofix just continously running and rebooting
    what should i do? it found 3 viruses and deleted

Comment by joel — June 8, 2009 #

12. joel, thats strange. You have tried uninstall Comnofix ?

Comment by Patrik — June 9, 2009 #

13. After using combofix to remove spyware, which it did after 3 days of me trying ! Spyware doctor picks up Application.NirCmd.

Is this from combofix or is this something else, can i ignore it or can i remove it permanantly ?

Comment by Anthony — June 26, 2009 #

14. Yes, nircmd is component of Combofix. You can remove it.

Comment by Patrik — June 26, 2009 #

15. i used combofix and got rid of popups, and the computer got its normal speed now, same the internet connection, but i did not manually delete anything; am i supposed to or combofix does everything; then if i want to uninstal it, is it safe? what happens to the files currently in quarantine(Qoobox)

Comment by lori — July 7, 2009 #

16. if i want to uninstal it, is it safe?

what happens to the files currently in quarantine(Qoobox)

These files will be removed.

Comment by Patrik — July 7, 2009 #

17. I tryed removing it with the combofix /u and I get an error that reads somthing like windows cant find the file name. Can I just serch for the files and remove them or is there another way?

Comment by Alex — October 2, 2009 #

18. Alex, download a fresh copy of combofix to desktop.
    Run it.
    Once finished, try uninstall procedure again.

Comment by Patrik — October 3, 2009 #

19. I tried removing with the combofix /u ,but all it does is simply run the program, not uninstall.

Comment by Dani — November 24, 2009 #

20. Dani,
    1. Re-download combofix and place it to your desktop.
    2. Try uninstall procedure once again. You should use next command:

combofix /uninstall

space between “combofix” and “/uninstall”

Comment by Patrik — November 24, 2009 #

I used combofix and after tried to ‘deinstall’ it by running combofix /u but it seems like it wont set the setting back. I still see the Qoobox and programdata folders. I redownloaded teh fiel twice now and the log says:
    ******
    ComboFix 09-11-28.04 – Bas 11/29/2009 15:15.3.2 – x86
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7600.0.1252.1.1033.18.2046.1188 [GMT 1:00]
    Running from: c:\users\Bas\Desktop\ComboFix.exe
    Command switches used :: /u
    ****

What to do now? Thx

Comment by Henk de koning — November 29, 2009 #

22. Please use the following command:

combofix /uninstall

Comment by Patrik — November 29, 2009 #

23. aha, that seems to ‘work’. I did see the messge that it is uninstalled. Altough I still see some of the hidden folders ($recycle.Bin / Diskeeper / MSOCache / Perflogs / Recovery) and one combofix folder (Programdata). The folder Qoobox did disappear.

(When I go to my folder options the settings hide protect folders is checked.)

What to try next?

Comment by Henk de koning — November 29, 2009 #

24. These folders are ok.

What to try next?

Post your combofix log in our Spyware removal forum. I will check it.

Comment by Patrik — November 30, 2009 #

25. Hello,

I was trying to use your command “combofix /uninstall”, but after I press Enter, it appears me a message that says:”Windows cannot find combofix /uninstall. Make sure that you typed correctly….etc”. Why can he find Combofix? I see it in C: partition, and Qoobox also.
    What is the problem?

Comment by Daniel — January 10, 2010 #

26. Daniel, re-download it and save to desktop.
    Run, once finished, start the removal procedure once again.

Comment by Patrik — January 10, 2010 #

27. Thank you! I worked fine :)
    But, off-topic speaking, i have some blue screen errors. Where can I find out some answers regarding this?

Comment by Daniel — January 10, 2010 #

28. only combofix worked on virus. it did explode the locked reovery files on d drive for one. it added an extra restore mode for the other system.

but thanks again

Comment by pete — April 8, 2010 #

29. hi, I accidentally downloaded and ran ComboFix in a folder in C:/ which was not my desktop. How can I uninstall it because command combofix /uninstall says Windows can not find ‘combofix’. Thank you.

Comment by Charles — April 21, 2010 #

30. Charles, download a fresh copy of Combofix and save it to your desktop. Run, once finished, repeat the uninstall procedure above.

Comment by Patrik — April 22, 2010 #

31. Great, that worked. Thanks for the advice.

Comment by Charles — April 22, 2010 #

32. Tried to run combofix, but it wanted to download ‘Windows recovery console’. Well as I had disabled all security protection as requested, I did not want to connect to the internet. After following the instructions to uninstall combofix, it is still on my computer, and just tries to run again when I select ‘combofix /uninstall’

Help!

Comment by Chris — August 11, 2010 #

33. Chris, you have disabled your Antivirus before Combofix uninstall procedure ?

Comment by Patrik — August 14, 2010 #

34. Thank You soo much for that info

I Fing hate this Tool & will never use it agan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by E-TARD — October 2, 2010 #

35. hey ive done the whole uninstall thing and it came up saying it has unistalled yet im still stuck with a shortcut on my desktop and connot remove it?
    any suggestions?

Comment by Laura — October 5, 2010 #

36. Laura, you can`t remove combofix`s shorcut ? Windows shows an error ?

Comment by Patrik — October 6, 2010 #

37. If i only run the file download while they ask me to save it, do i need to unistall it too?

Comment by haru — October 13, 2010 #

38. haru,

Comment by Patrik — October 14, 2010 #

39. ok then, thank u for answering :)

Comment by haru — October 15, 2010 #

40. Combofix has been nothing but problematic. Before learning about combofix, I had an event of redirecting, hyjacking etc, then low and behold, combofix was all over the internet. SO i downloaded it. The one GOOD thing I can say about it, is it removed some malware that other progs could not see.

This combofix program is found 7 times as malware by other AV/ AT programs. Highly problematic to uninstall, Seems that you NEVER get to read anything about this prog, of the warnings to use it ONLY under trained supervision, untill you have ALREADY ran this “utility”.

Just my thoughts, If the program was legitamate, or top shelf, someone would be selling it instead of posting it free ALL OVER the “web”, but this is not the case.

I really wish I had the programmer by the balls, for this one. It is INTENTIONALLY I feel difficult to eradicate.

I wish I could post a screenshot, of combofixes activity on my system. It has identified itself as a computer within my file hiearchy, and then from that point sees itself as system root, showing my entire system within it. I encountered a trojan once that ran the same way, although I am not saying combofix IS a trojan. Im saying its very problematic.

Comment by Gpainter — October 29, 2010 #

41. ComboFix has been an absolute lifesaver! I and several of my friends use it quite a bit, and after seeing what it does I understand why computer illiterates are scared of it or break their systems with it.

Uninstalling it when you’re done with it is a snap– so long as you understand simple things like “hierarchical file structures” and such.

Comment by AlaricD — November 4, 2010 #

42. Gpainter, ComboFix is an advanced anti-malware utility meant for use by professional computer technicians, which you do not appear to be. ComboFix explicitly says that you should only download it from one of two approved sites, if you are seeing it “all over the internet”, then chances are, you didn’t get it from one of the approved sites and it may infact be malware that you are running.

Comment by Ben — December 29, 2010 #

43. ComboFix is definitely a great utility! It runs the gmer utility for finding rootkits and then takes that list and eradicates any found rootkits. Also a great rogue trojan remover. Anyone infected with the “Windows XP Antivirus *year*” trojan varient can have the main pieces removed by this program. Two thumbs up plus more if I had them. Don’t forget to use Autoruns to remove calls to the files it deletes. Friendly tech reminder :)

Comment by Dan the Tech Man — May 18, 2011 #

44. HI! can anybody help me? I just ran this combofix and after that, my internet connection speed greatly dropped. Is it because of combofix? I don’t really know what happened. pls help

Comment by royce paragas — January 29, 2014 #