What is Webheroes.store?
Webheroes.store is a new site involved in the Your McAfee Subscription Has Expired scam. The scam uses social engineering techniques to trick users into installing or purchasing software they don’t need. It is important to emphasize that this scam is in no way associated with McAfee and has nothing to do with it.
Usually, users end up on Webheroes.store and similar scams by going to a misspelled URL or, clicking on a fake link from push notifications and spam emails. In addition, they can be redirected to this scam by malicious advertisements (malvertising) and Adware. Adware can be installed unknowingly when visiting malware-infested websites or downloading pirated versions of software.
Typically, scam sites first check the user’s IP address to determine their geolocation. Scammers, having determined the user’s location, can use various scam schemes, change the page language or redirect the user to other malicious and scam sites.
In this particular case, the scam shows a fake message that the McAfee Subscription Has Expired a few days ago, and as a result, the computer is vulnerable to viruses, which can lead to the installation of malware and identity theft. It instructs users to click “Renew Subscription” to protect the computer from from viruses and malware. Scammers claim that today there is a 70% discount. After clicking, users are redirected to another page that offers to purchase McAfee® Total Protection.
The scammers behind this scam earn a commission for every sale from this page. Of course, McAfee – like other antivirus companies – do not allow affiliates to promote their products using social engineering tricks, misleading methods, and deceptive advertising. However, despite this ban, scammers continue to advertise McAfee Antivirus and products from other antivirus companies.
How to protect against Webheroes.store scam
To avoid becoming a victim of scammers, it is important to always keep in mind:
- There are no sites that can detect viruses and other security threats.
- Never install/purchase software promoted by suspicious sites, as it can be useless, and besides, it can be dangerous for you and your computer.
- Close Webheroes.store as soon as it appears on your computer screen. Scammers can prevent you from closing it in various ways. In such cases, close your browser using Task Manager or restart your computer. If the next time you launch the browser, it prompts you to restore the previous session, abandon it, otherwise this scam will reopen on your screen.
- Use an ad blocker when browsing the internet. It can block known scam sites and protect you from scammers.
|Type||scam, phishing, fake virus alerts|
|Fake claims||Your McAfee Subscription Has Expired|
|Removal||Webheroes.store removal guide|
TROJAN Zeus2021 spyware adware detected, McAfee SECURITY ALERT, McAfee – Your PC is infected with 5 viruses are other scams designed to trick visitors into installing untrustworthy software or calling fake tech support. Some of these scams are positioned as a legitimate McAfee pages, but in fact have nothing to do with McAfee. The scam sites should never be trusted, they should be closed as soon as they appear on the screen.
The Webheroes.store pop ups are caused by malicious advertisements on websites you visit, push notifications or Adware. Browser (push) notifications are originally developed to alert the user of recently published news. Scammers use push notifications to bypass pop up blockers and display lots of unwanted ads. These ads are used to promote questionable internet browser extensions, free gifts scams, adware software bundles, and adult webpages.
Adware is a type of malicious software which displays unwanted ads to the user of a computer. The ads caused by adware are sometimes in the form of a in-text link, pop-up, fake virus alert or sometimes in an unclosable window.
How does Adware get on your computer
Usually, adware gets into computers as part of a bundle with freeware, sharing files and other unsafe apps which you downloaded from the Internet. The creators of adware software pays software makers for distributing adware software within their apps. So, additional apps is often included as part of the installer. In order to avoid the installation of any adware: select only Manual, Custom or Advanced installation option and uncheck all bundled software in which you are unsure.
Remove Webheroes.store notifications from web browsers
If you’re getting notifications from the Webheroes.store or another scam site, you’ll have previously pressed the ‘Allow’ button. Below we’ll teach you how to turn them off.
How to remove Webheroes.store pop-ups (Adware removal guide)
To get rid of Webheroes.store pop-ups from your computer, you must remove all suspicious applications and every file that could be related to the adware. Besides, to restore your web browser newtab page, startpage and search provider, you should reset the infected internet browsers. As soon as you are finished with Webheroes.store pop-up removal process, we recommend you scan your personal computer with malware removal utilities listed below. It’ll complete the removal procedure on your computer.
To remove Webheroes.store, follow the steps below:
- Manual Webheroes.store scam removal
- Automatic Removal of Webheroes.store pop-up scam
- Stop Webheroes.store pop ups
Manual Webheroes.store scam removal
The step-by-step guidance created by our team will help you manually remove Webheroes.store pop-ups from the internet browser. If you are not good at computers, we recommend that you use the free tools listed below.
Check the list of installed apps first
First, you should try to identify and uninstall the application that causes the appearance of intrusive ads or web browser redirect, using the ‘Uninstall a program’ which is located in the ‘Control panel’.
Windows 10, 8.1, 8
Click the MS Windows logo, and then click Search . Type ‘Control panel’and press Enter as on the image below.
After the ‘Control Panel’ opens, press the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as displayed in the figure below.
Windows 7, Vista, XP
Open Start menu and choose the ‘Control Panel’ at right as shown in the figure below.
Then go to ‘Add/Remove Programs’ or ‘Uninstall a program’ (Microsoft Windows 7 or Vista) like below.
Carefully browse through the list of installed software and delete all suspicious and unknown software. We recommend to click ‘Installed programs’ and even sorts all installed apps by date. When you’ve found anything questionable that may be the adware responsible for Webheroes.store pop ups, then choose this program and press ‘Uninstall’ in the upper part of the window. If the dubious application blocked from removal, then run Revo Uninstaller Freeware to fully get rid of it from your device.
Remove Webheroes.store scam from Chrome
The adware software can modify your Google Chrome settings without your knowledge. You may see an unknown web-site as your search engine or homepage, additional addons and toolbars. Reset Chrome web-browser will help you to remove Webheroes.store popups and reset the unwanted changes caused by adware. However, your saved passwords and bookmarks will not be changed, deleted or cleared.
First run the Chrome. Next, press the button in the form of three horizontal dots ().
It will open the Chrome menu. Choose More Tools, then press Extensions. Carefully browse through the list of installed extensions. If the list has the addon signed with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following instructions: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Open the Chrome menu once again. Further, press the option named “Settings”.
The web-browser will open the settings screen. Another solution to open the Google Chrome’s settings – type chrome://settings in the browser adress bar and press Enter
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the “Advanced” link. Now scroll down until the “Reset” section is visible, as shown on the image below and press the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
The Google Chrome will display the confirmation dialog box as displayed on the image below.
You need to confirm your action, click the “Reset” button. The web-browser will launch the procedure of cleaning. After it’s complete, the web-browser’s settings including newtab, start page and default search provider back to the values that have been when the Chrome was first installed on your personal computer.
Get rid of Webheroes.store popup scam from Internet Explorer
By resetting Internet Explorer browser you revert back your web browser settings to its default state. This is basic when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by adware software that causes Webheroes.store scam in your web browser.
First, run the Internet Explorer. Next, click the button in the form of gear (). It will display the Tools drop-down menu, click the “Internet Options” as displayed below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then press the Reset button. The IE will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as on the image below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then press “Reset” button.
You will now need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Remove Webheroes.store from Mozilla Firefox by resetting browser settings
Resetting Mozilla Firefox browser will reset all the settings to their original state, remove Webheroes.store pop-ups, disable malicious add-ons and extensions. However, your saved passwords and bookmarks will not be changed or cleared.
First, launch the Mozilla Firefox. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will open the drop-down menu. Next, click the Help button ().
In the Help menu click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page press on “Refresh Firefox” button as on the image below.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Automatic Removal of Webheroes.store pop-up scam
The adware can hide its components which are difficult for you to find out and get rid of completely. This can lead to the fact that after some time, the adware software that causes Webheroes.store pop up scam again infect your personal computer. Moreover, We want to note that it is not always safe to get rid of adware manually, if you don’t have much experience in setting up and configuring the MS Windows operating system. The best method to locate and remove adware is to run free malicious software removal apps.
Delete Webheroes.store pop up with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
We recommend using the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. You can download and install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to search for adware and get rid of Webheroes.store popups from your web-browsers. When installed and updated, this free malicious software remover automatically scans for and deletes all threats present on the PC.
- First, visit the following page, then click the ‘Download’ button in order to download the latest version of MalwareBytes AntiMalware.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- Once the download is done, close all software and windows on your computer. Open a file location. Double-click on the icon that’s named MBsetup.
- Select “Personal computer” option and press Install button. Follow the prompts.
- Once install is done, click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan with this utility for the adware software that causes the Webheroes.store pop-ups. This procedure can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware tool is scanning, you can see how many objects it has identified as being affected by malware.
- After the scan get finished, it will open the Scan Results. Review the results once the utility has finished the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply click “Quarantine”. Once the cleaning process is complete, you can be prompted to reboot your computer.
The following video offers a guidance on how to remove hijackers, adware software and other malicious software with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
How to get rid of Webheroes.store popup scam with Zemana
Zemana Anti-Malware is an extremely fast utility to delete Webheroes.store popups from the Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and MS Edge. It also removes malware and adware from your computer. It improves your system’s performance by removing potentially unwanted applications.
- Zemana Anti-Malware can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your MS Windows desktop or in any other place.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- After downloading is complete, close all programs and windows on your PC. Open a file location. Double-click on the icon that’s named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once install is finished, press the “Scan” button to begin scanning your computer for the adware software which causes the Webheroes.store pop-ups. This process can take some time, so please be patient. While the Zemana Anti-Malware is scanning, you can see how many objects it has identified either as being malicious software.
- As the scanning ends, Zemana will show a screen which contains a list of malicious software that has been found. Make sure to check mark the items which are unsafe and then press “Next”. Once the task is complete, you can be prompted to reboot your device.
Delete Webheroes.store pop-ups from web browsers with HitmanPro
All-in-all, HitmanPro is a fantastic utility to clean your personal computer from any unwanted software such as adware that causes Webheroes.store pop-ups. The HitmanPro is portable application that meaning, you do not need to install it to use it. Hitman Pro is compatible with all versions of Windows operating system from Windows XP to Windows 10. Both 64-bit and 32-bit systems are supported.
- Visit the following page to download Hitman Pro. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- Once the downloading process is done, start the Hitman Pro, double-click the HitmanPro.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, press Yes to continue.
- In the Hitman Pro window, click the “Next” for scanning your personal computer for the adware software related to the Webheroes.store pop-up scam. This process can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the Hitman Pro application is scanning, you can see how many objects it has identified as threat.
- Once Hitman Pro completes the scan, you’ll be displayed the list of all detected threats on your personal computer. Review the scan results and then click “Next”. Now, press the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial to remove all malware found.
Stop Webheroes.store pop ups
Use an adblocker tool such as AdGuard will protect you from malicious advertisements and scam content. Moreover, you can find that the AdGuard have an option to protect your privacy and stop phishing and spam web pages. Additionally, ad-blocker programs will help you to avoid unwanted pop up advertisements and unverified links that also a good way to stay safe online.
Installing the AdGuard is simple. First you’ll need to download AdGuard on your computer by clicking on the link below.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
When the downloading process is done, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen as on the image below.
Follow the prompts. When the install is finished, you will see a window as displayed in the following example.
You can press “Skip” to close the install program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial which will help you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you run your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted advertisements, block Webheroes.store, as well as other harmful or misleading webpages. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which is located on your desktop.
We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted pop-up ads and annoying malicious web-pages) and Zemana Anti-Malware (to periodically scan your computer for new adware software and other malware). Probably you are running an older version of Java or Adobe Flash Player. This can be a security risk, so download and install the latest version right now.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove Webheroes.store pop-ups from Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, MS Edge and Google Chrome, then ask for help here.