What is BetterSearch Default Search?
According to experienced security experts, BetterSearch Default Search is a PUP (potentially unwanted program) from the group of Browser hijackers. Browser hijacker is a kind of software that is created to change the browser settings without the knowledge or permission of the computer user, and it usually redirects the affected system’s internet browser to certain advertisement-related webpages. A browser hijacker initiates numerous pop-ups, installs multiple toolbars on the web-browser, changes the default internet browser search engine or start page, generates multiple pop-up ads and redirects user web searches to its own web-site. If your web browser has been affected by a browser hijacker you may need to complete manual steps or use a malware removal tool to revert changes made to your browsers.
When you’re performing searches using the internet browser that has been affected by BetterSearch Default Search, the search results will be returned from Bing, Yahoo or Google Custom Search. The devs behind the browser hijacker are most probably doing this to generate advertisement profit from the advertisements displayed in the search results.
Another reason why you need to remove BetterSearch Default Search is its online data-tracking activity. It can collect sensitive info, including:
- IP addresses;
- URLs visited;
- search queries/terms;
- clicks on links and ads;
- web-browser version information.
How can a browser hijacker get on your device
|Name||BetterSearch Default Search|
|Type||browser hijacker, search provider hijacker, PUP, redirect virus, homepage hijacker|
|Affected Browser Settings||search provider, new tab URL, home page|
|Distribution||freeware installation packages, malicious pop-up ads, fake update tools|
|Symptoms||Advertising banners appear on web sites that you are visiting. When you go to a web-site, you are periodically redirected to another web-page that you do not intend to visit. Your personal computer starts automatically installing unexpected programs. An unexpected internet browser extension appears in your browser. Your web-browser homepage has changed and you cannot change it back.|
|Removal||BetterSearch Default Search removal guide|
How to remove BetterSearch Default Search from Windows 10 (8, 7, XP)
There are exist several free malware removal tools. Also it is possible to remove BetterSearch Default Search hijacker manually. But we recommend to combine all these ways below into the one removal algorithm. Follow the steps of the guidance. Read this manual carefully, bookmark it or open this page on your smartphone, because you may need to exit your internet browser or restart your computer.
To remove BetterSearch Default Search, complete the steps below:
- How to manually get rid of BetterSearch Default Search
- Remove potentially unwanted applications through the Microsoft Windows Control Panel
- Remove BetterSearch Default Search from Chrome
- Get rid of BetterSearch Default Search browser hijacker from Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Remove BetterSearch Default Search from Mozilla Firefox by resetting web browser settings
- Automatic Removal of BetterSearch Default Search
- How to stop BetterSearch Default Search redirect
How to manually get rid of BetterSearch Default Search
The steps will help you remove BetterSearch Default Search hijacker. These removal steps work for the Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Firefox, as well as every version of computer operating system.
Remove potentially unwanted applications through the Microsoft Windows Control Panel
The process of browser hijacker removal is generally the same across all versions of Microsoft Windows OS from 10 to XP. To start with, it is necessary to check the list of installed programs on your computer and delete all unused, unknown and dubious software.
|Windows 7||Windows 8|
|Windows 10||Mac OS|
Remove BetterSearch Default Search from Chrome
The BetterSearch Default Search as your search provider or start page or other symptom of having hijacker in your browser is a good reason to reset Google Chrome. This is an easy method to restore the Google Chrome settings and not lose any important information.
- First start the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed add-ons. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following instructions: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Google Chrome will open the reset profile settings page as shown on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this task is finished, your web browser’s start page, new tab page and default search engine will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of BetterSearch Default Search browser hijacker from Microsoft Internet Explorer
In order to recover all internet browser newtab, search provider by default and home page you need to reset the Microsoft Internet Explorer to the state, that was when the Windows was installed on your PC system.
First, run the Internet Explorer, click ) button. Next, click “Internet Options” as on the image below.
In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, press Reset button. The Internet Explorer will display the Reset Internet Explorer settings prompt. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and click Reset button.
You will now need to reboot your PC system for the changes to take effect. It will delete BetterSearch Default Search hijacker, disable malicious and ad-supported web browser’s extensions and restore the Microsoft Internet Explorer’s settings like default search provider, newtab page and homepage to default state.
Remove BetterSearch Default Search from Mozilla Firefox by resetting web browser settings
The Mozilla Firefox reset will remove unwanted search provider and homepage such as BetterSearch Default Search, fix modified preferences, disable malicious extensions and restore security settings. It will keep your personal information like browsing history, bookmarks, passwords and web form auto-fill data.
First, start the Mozilla Firefox. Next, press the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will open the drop-down menu. Next, click the Help button ().
In the Help menu press the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button as displayed below.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Automatic Removal of BetterSearch Default Search
Cyber security specialists have built efficient malware removal tools to help users in removing hijackers , adware and potentially unwanted applications. Below we will share with you the best malware removal utilities with the ability to search for and remove browser hijackers and other potentially unwanted apps.
Run Zemana to remove BetterSearch Default Search browser hijacker
Zemana AntiMalware is a free tool that performs a scan of your personal computer and displays if there are existing adware, browser hijackers, viruses, worms, spyware, trojans and other malicious software residing on your PC. If malware is found, Zemana Anti-Malware can automatically remove it. Zemana does not conflict with other anti-malware and antivirus software installed on your computer.
- Click the following link to download Zemana Anti-Malware. Save it directly to your Microsoft Windows Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- Once you have downloaded the installation file, make sure to double click on the Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. This would start the Zemana Anti-Malware setup on your computer.
- Select install language and press ‘OK’ button.
- On the next screen ‘Setup Wizard’ simply click the ‘Next’ button and follow the prompts.
- Finally, once the setup is done, Zemana will open automatically. Else, if does not then double-click on the Zemana icon on your desktop.
- Now that you have successfully install Zemana, let’s see How to use Zemana Anti-Malware to remove BetterSearch Default Search browser hijacker from your computer.
- After you have launched the Zemana Anti-Malware, you’ll see a window as displayed in the following example, just click ‘Scan’ button to perform a system scan for the browser hijacker.
- Now pay attention to the screen while Zemana scans your personal computer.
- When the system scan is done, Zemana Anti-Malware will display you the results. Next, you need to click ‘Next’ button.
- Zemana may require a reboot personal computer in order to complete the BetterSearch Default Search hijacker removal process.
- If you want to fully remove browser hijacker from your device, then click ‘Quarantine’ icon, select all malware, adware, PUPs and other items and press Delete.
- Restart your personal computer to complete the browser hijacker removal procedure.
Use Hitman Pro to remove BetterSearch Default Search from the PC
Hitman Pro is a free portable program that scans your computer for adware, potentially unwanted software and browser hijackers such as BetterSearch Default Search and allows delete them easily. Moreover, it’ll also allow you get rid of any harmful web-browser extensions and add-ons.
Please go to the following link to download HitmanPro. Save it on your MS Windows desktop or in any other place.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
After the downloading process is finished, open the file location. You will see an icon like below.
Double click the Hitman Pro desktop icon. After the utility is started, you will see a screen as shown on the screen below.
Further, click “Next” button . Hitman Pro program will scan through the whole device for the BetterSearch Default Search hijacker. This procedure may take some time, so please be patient. When HitmanPro is complete scanning your computer, the results are displayed in the scan report as displayed in the figure below.
Review the scan results and then click “Next” button. It will open a prompt, click the “Activate free license” button.
Use MalwareBytes AntiMalware to get rid of BetterSearch Default Search browser hijacker
If you’re still having problems with the BetterSearch Default Search browser hijacker — or just wish to check your computer occasionally for hijacker and other malware — download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. It is free for home use, and searches for and removes various unwanted applications that attacks your PC or degrades PC system performance. MalwareBytes AntiMalware can delete adware, potentially unwanted software as well as malicious software, including ransomware and trojans.
- MalwareBytes Anti-Malware can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- When downloading is finished, close all apps and windows on your computer. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named MBsetup.
- Select “Personal computer” option and click Install button. Follow the prompts.
- Once install is finished, press the “Scan” button for scanning your PC system for the BetterSearch Default Search browser hijacker. While the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is scanning, you can see number of objects it has identified either as being malicious software.
- When MalwareBytes AntiMalware is complete scanning your computer, it will display the Scan Results. You may remove items (move to Quarantine) by simply click “Quarantine”. After disinfection is done, you can be prompted to reboot your personal computer.
The following video offers a steps on how to get rid of browser hijackers, adware and other malicious software with MalwareBytes AntiMalware.
How to stop BetterSearch Default Search redirect
One of the worst things is the fact that you cannot block any unwanted websites using only built-in Windows capabilities. However, there is a program out that you can use to stop unwanted browser redirects, ads and pop-ups in any modern web-browsers including Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. It’s named Adguard and it works very well.
First, please go to the link below, then click the ‘Download’ button in order to download the latest version of AdGuard.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
After downloading it, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen as displayed in the following example.
Follow the prompts. After the installation is done, you will see a window as shown below.
You can press “Skip” to close the install application and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial which will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your device, AdGuard will run automatically and stop undesired advertisements, block BetterSearch Default Search redirects, as well as other harmful or misleading web-pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which can be found on your desktop.
To sum up
We suggest that you keep Zemana AntiMalware (to periodically scan your PC system for new hijackers and other malware) and AdGuard (to help you block intrusive pop up ads and malicious web-sites). Moreover, to prevent any hijacker, please stay clear of unknown and third party applications, make sure that your antivirus application, turn on the option to search for potentially unwanted applications.
If you need more help with BetterSearch Default Search related issues, go to here.