What is DefenderBadUrl
DefenderBadUrl is supposed to be a browser extension that will improve the browsing experience, but according to security experts, it acts as adware. Adware is a form of malicious software designed to dirplay lots of unwanted ads in form of pop-ups, discounting deals, promos, push notifications or even fake alerts on the PC. DefenderBadUrl can seriously affect your privacy, your computer’s performance and security.
The worst is, the adware can gather confidential information, including:
- IP addresses;
- URLs visited;
- search queries/terms;
- clicks on links and advertisements;
- internet browser version information.
How does DefenderBadUrl get on your computer
|Type||adware, potentially unwanted program (PUP), pop up advertisements, popup virus, pop-ups|
|Removal||DefenderBadUrl removal guide|
How to remove DefenderBadUrl adware (removal instructions)
There are a simple manual tutorial below which will help you to remove DefenderBadUrl from your MS Windows PC. The most effective solution to remove this adware is to follow the manual removal guide and then run Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM), MalwareBytes AntiMalware or HitmanPro automatic tools (all are free). The manual method will assist to weaken this adware and these malware removal utilities will completely remove DefenderBadUrl adware and restore the IE, Google Chrome, Firefox and MS Edge settings to default.
To remove DefenderBadUrl, complete the steps below:
- How to manually delete DefenderBadUrl
- Automatic Removal of DefenderBadUrl
- How to stay safe online
How to manually delete DefenderBadUrl
In this section of the post, we have posted the steps that will help to remove DefenderBadUrl manually. Although compared to removal tools, this solution loses in time, but you don’t need to install anything on your personal computer. It will be enough for you to follow the detailed guide with pictures. We tried to describe each step in detail, but if you realized that you might not be able to figure it out, or simply do not want to change the Microsoft Windows and internet browser settings, then it’s better for you to run utilities from trusted developers, which are listed below.
Uninstall newly installed potentially unwanted applications
First, you should try to identify and delete the program that causes the appearance of annoying advertisements or browser redirect, using the ‘Uninstall a program’ which is located in the ‘Control panel’.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
First, press Windows button , then press Search . Type ‘Control panel’and press Enter as shown in the figure below.
When the ‘Control Panel’ opens, click the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category like the one below.
You will see the ‘Uninstall a program’ panel as shown in the following example.
Very carefully look around the entire list of software installed on your computer. Most probably, one of them is the DefenderBadUrl adware. If you have many programs installed, you can help simplify the search of malicious apps by sort the list by date of installation. Once you have found a questionable, unwanted or unused program, right click to it, after that click ‘Uninstall’.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
First, click ‘Start’ button and select ‘Control Panel’ at right panel like below.
After the Windows ‘Control Panel’ opens, you need to press ‘Uninstall a program’ under ‘Programs’ like below.
You will see a list of apps installed on your device. We recommend to sort the list by date of installation to quickly find the apps that were installed last. Most probably, it is the DefenderBadUrl adware. If you are in doubt, you can always check the program by doing a search for her name in Google, Yahoo or Bing. When the program which you need to uninstall is found, simply click on its name, and then click ‘Uninstall’ as displayed in the following example.
Remove DefenderBadUrl from Google Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings to delete DefenderBadUrl adware. If you’re still experiencing issues with DefenderBadUrl removal, you need to reset Chrome browser to its original settings. This step needs to be performed only if adware has not been removed by the previous steps.
- First, start the Google Chrome and press the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guidance: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Advanced” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Google Chrome will display the reset settings prompt as shown on the image above.
- Confirm the web browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of DefenderBadUrl from Firefox by resetting browser settings
The Firefox reset will remove browser redirects caused by adware, fix modified preferences, disable malicious extensions and restore security settings. Your saved bookmarks, form auto-fill information and passwords won’t be cleared or changed.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and click the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as displayed on the screen below.
A small menu will appear, press the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, click “Refresh Firefox” button like below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to revert back your Firefox internet browser settings to their default values.
Remove DefenderBadUrl from IE
In order to recover hijacked browser settings you need to reset the Internet Explorer to the state, which was when the Windows was installed on your computer.
First, launch the Internet Explorer. Next, press the button in the form of gear (). It will open the Tools drop-down menu, click the “Internet Options” as displayed below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Microsoft Internet Explorer will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window like the one below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then press “Reset” button.
You will now need to reboot your PC for the changes to take effect.
Automatic Removal of DefenderBadUrl
Manual removal tutorial may not be for an unskilled computer user. Each DefenderBadUrl removal step above, such as deleting dubious programs, restoring affected shortcuts, uninstalling the adware from system settings, must be performed very carefully. If you are in doubt during any of the steps listed in the manual removal above, then we advise that you use the automatic DefenderBadUrl removal tutorial listed below.
How to delete DefenderBadUrl with Zemana AntiMalware
Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) is one of the best in its class, it can find and get rid of lots of of different security threats, including adware, browser hijackers, spyware and trojans that masqueraded as legitimate computer programs. Also Zemana includes another tool called FRST – is a helpful program for manual removal of files and parts of the Windows registry created by malware.
- Visit the page linked below to download the latest version of Zemana for Windows. Save it on your Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your web-browser will open the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- When the download is done, please close all applications and open windows on your computer. Next, launch a file called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will run the “Setup wizard” of Zemana onto your computer. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana Free will open and show the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the DefenderBadUrl adware. Depending on your personal computer, the scan may take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. When a threat is found, the count of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the checking is finished.
- After Zemana AntiMalware has finished scanning, it will display the Scan Results.
- Once you’ve selected what you wish to remove from your personal computer click the “Next” button. The tool will remove DefenderBadUrl adware and move the selected items to the program’s quarantine. Once that process is done, you may be prompted to restart the personal computer.
- Close the Zemana and continue with the next step.
Get rid of DefenderBadUrl from web-browsers with Hitman Pro
HitmanPro is one of the most effective utilities for uninstalling adware, potentially unwanted applications and other malware. It can look for hidden adware software in your PC system and delete all harmful folders and files related to adware. Hitman Pro will help you to delete DefenderBadUrl adware from your computer and IE, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge. We strongly recommend you to download this tool as the creators are working hard to make it better.
- First, visit the page linked below, then click the ‘Download’ button in order to download the latest version of Hitman Pro.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- When the downloading process is done, start the Hitman Pro, double-click the HitmanPro.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the HitmanPro window, press the “Next” to perform a system scan with this utility for the DefenderBadUrl adware. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your personal computer and the speed of your PC system. When a malicious software, adware or PUPs are found, the count of the security threats will change accordingly.
- When HitmanPro completes the scan, Hitman Pro will display you the results. In order to delete all threats, simply press “Next”. Now, click the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to remove all malicious software found.
How to remove DefenderBadUrl with MalwareBytes
Delete DefenderBadUrl adware manually is difficult and often the adware is not completely removed. Therefore, we suggest you to use the MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) that are completely clean your PC system. Moreover, this free program will allow you to delete malware, PUPs, toolbars and hijackers that your PC can be infected too.
Please go to the link below to download the latest version of MalwareBytes for Microsoft Windows. Save it to your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
After the downloading process is complete, run it and follow the prompts. Once installed, the MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) will try to update itself and when this task is complete, click the “Scan” button for scanning your PC for the DefenderBadUrl adware. Depending on your device, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the tool is checking, you may see how many objects and files has already scanned. Make sure to check mark the items which are unsafe and then press “Quarantine” button.
The MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is a free program that you can use to remove all detected folders, files, services, registry entries and so on. To learn more about this malicious software removal tool, we suggest you to read and follow the steps or the video guide below.
How to stay safe online
We recommend to install an ad-blocker program. The ad blocker utility like AdGuard is a program which basically removes advertising from the Web and blocks access to malicious webpages. Moreover, security experts says that using ad blocking programs is necessary to stay safe when surfing the Web.
- Installing the AdGuard is simple. First you will need to download AdGuard by clicking on the link below. Save it directly to your MS Windows Desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- Once the download is done, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the install is finished, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your PC system, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted ads, block DefenderBadUrl, as well as other malicious or misleading web sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, that can be found on your desktop.
We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you stop unwanted ads and intrusive malicious webpages) and Zemana Anti-Malware (to periodically scan your device for new adwares and other malware). Probably you are running an older version of Java or Adobe Flash Player. This can be a security risk, so download and install the latest version right now.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove DefenderBadUrl from the Google Chrome, IE, MS Edge and Mozilla Firefox, then ask for help here here.