What is S1-n.com?
S1-n.com is a web-page that uses social engineering to mislead you and other unsuspecting victims into subscribing to browser notifications. Although browser push notifications cannot harm you directly, scammers use them to display annoying advertisements, promote adware bundles, and encourage users to visit malicious web pages.
The S1-n.com web-site states that you need to subscribe to its notifications in order to download a file, connect to the Internet, watch a video, enable Flash Player, access the content of the web page, and so on. Once enabled, the S1-n.com spam notifications will start popping up in the right bottom corner of the desktop periodically and spam you with annoying advertisements.
|browser notification spam, spam push notifications, pop-up virus
|dubious pop-up ads, adware, social engineering attack, potentially unwanted apps
|S1-n.com removal guide
How does your PC get infected with S1-n.com pop-ups
Cyber security professionals have determined that users are redirected to S1-n.com by adware or from misleading advertisements. Adware is a form of malicious software that is created to display unwanted ads. It have different ways of earning by showing the advertisements forcibly to its victims. Adware can generate popups, display unsolicited advertisements, change the victim’s web browser settings, or redirect the victim’s web-browser to undesired web pages. Aside from causing unwanted ads and web browser redirects, it also can slow down the PC.
A large number of spyware, adware programs, web-browser toolbars, browser hijackers, and potentially unwanted programs are installed when installing freeware and peer-2-peer file sharing software. Therefore, when installing freeware, you need to be careful not to accidentally install bundled programs. It is important that you pay attention to the EULA (End User License Agreements) and choose the Custom, Manual or Advanced setup type as it will typically disclose what bundled apps will also be installed.
Remove S1-n.com notifications from web-browsers
If you have allowed the S1-n.com browser notifications, you might notice that this webpage sending requests, and it can become annoying. To better control your device, here’s how to remove S1-n.com notifications from your browser.
- Click on ‘three dots menu’ button at the right upper corner of the screen.
- In the menu go to ‘Settings’, scroll down to ‘Advanced’ settings.
- In the ‘Privacy and Security’ section, click on ‘Site settings’.
- Click on ‘Notifications’.
- Locate the S1-n.com site and delete it by clicking the three vertical dots on the right to the URL and select ‘Remove’.
- Open Chrome.
- In the top-right corner of the screen, tap on Google Chrome’s main menu button, represented by three vertical dots.
- In the menu tap ‘Settings’, scroll down to ‘Advanced’.
- In the ‘Site Settings’, tap on ‘Notifications’, find the S1-n.com site and tap on it.
- Tap the ‘Clean & Reset’ button and confirm.
- In the top-right corner, click on the three bars to expand the Main menu.
- In the menu go to ‘Options’, in the menu on the left go to ‘Privacy & Security’.
- Scroll down to ‘Permissions’ section and click ‘Settings…’ button next to ‘Notifications’.
- Locate sites you down’t want to see notifications from (for example, S1-n.com), click on drop-down menu next to each and select ‘Block’.
- Save changes.
- In the top right hand corner, click on the three dots to expand the Edge menu.
- Click ‘Settings’. Click ‘Advanced’ on the left side of the window.
- Click ‘Manage permissions’ button under ‘Website permissions’.
- Disable the on switch for the S1-n.com domain.
- Click the Gear button on the top right corner of the Internet Explorer.
- Go to ‘Internet Options’ in the menu.
- Click on the ‘Privacy’ tab and select ‘Settings’ in the pop-up blockers section.
- Select the S1-n.com domain and other dubious URLs below and remove them one by one by clicking the ‘Remove’ button.
- Click ‘Safari’ button on the top left corner of the screen and select ‘Preferences’.
- Select the ‘Websites’ tab and then select ‘Notifications’ section on the left panel.
- Locate the S1-n.com and select it, click the ‘Deny’ button.
How to remove S1-n.com advertisements (removal guide)
There are several steps to removing the adware that causes S1-n.com pop-ups, because it installs itself so deeply into MS Windows. You need to delete all suspicious and unknown programs, then remove malicious extensions from the Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer and Edge and other internet browsers you have installed. Finally, you need to reset your web browser settings to remove any changes the adware has made, and then scan your computer with Zemana Anti-Malware, MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) or HitmanPro to ensure the adware software is fully removed. It will take a while.
To remove S1-n.com pop ups, perform the following steps:
- Remove S1-n.com notifications from web-browsers
- Manual S1-n.com pop-up advertisements removal
- Automatic Removal of S1-n.com pop up advertisements
- Stop S1-n.com advertisements
Manual S1-n.com pop-up advertisements removal
In this section of the blog post, we have posted the steps that will help to get rid of S1-n.com ads manually. Although compared to removal utilities, this method loses in time, but you don’t need to download anything on the device. It will be enough for you to follow the detailed tutorial with pictures. We tried to describe each step in detail, but if you realized that you might not be able to figure it out, or simply do not want to change the Microsoft Windows and browser settings, then it’s better for you to run utilities from trusted developers, which are listed below.
Remove newly added adware
In order to remove potentially unwanted software like this adware software, open the Microsoft Windows Control Panel and click on “Uninstall a program”. Check the list of installed programs. For the ones you do not know, run an Internet search to see if they are adware software, hijacker or potentially unwanted software. If yes, remove them off. Even if they are just a software which you do not use, then removing them off will increase your PC start up time and speed dramatically.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then click Windows button, next press Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then click “Start” button and click “Control Panel”.
- It will show the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, click “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will show a list of all software installed on the personal computer.
- Scroll through the all list, and uninstall suspicious and unknown programs. To quickly find the latest installed apps, we recommend sort apps by date.
See more details in the video instructions below.
Get rid of S1-n.com popups from Microsoft Internet Explorer
The Internet Explorer reset is great if your web browser is hijacked or you have unwanted add-ons or toolbars on your internet browser, which installed by an malicious software.
First, start the Microsoft Internet Explorer. Next, press the button in the form of gear (). It will show the Tools drop-down menu, click the “Internet Options” as shown in the following example.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Microsoft Internet Explorer will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window such as the one below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click “Reset” button.
You will now need to restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Remove S1-n.com popups from Google Chrome
Run the Reset internet browser tool of the Google Chrome to reset all its settings such as search engine by default, new tab page and home page to original defaults. This is a very useful tool to use, in the case of internet browser redirects to annoying ad web-pages like S1-n.com.
- First, run the Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed addons. If the list has the plugin labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guide: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Advanced” link, which located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, press the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Google Chrome will show the reset settings dialog box as shown on the screen above.
- Confirm the web browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of S1-n.com from Firefox by resetting web browser settings
If the Firefox web browser application is hijacked, then resetting its settings can help. The Reset feature is available on all modern version of Firefox. A reset can fix many issues by restoring Firefox settings like home page, new tab and default search engine to their original settings. Keep in mind that resetting your internet browser will not remove your history, bookmarks, passwords, and other saved data.
First, launch the Firefox. Next, press the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will display the drop-down menu. Next, press the Help button ().
In the Help menu click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page press on “Refresh Firefox” button as shown below.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Automatic Removal of S1-n.com pop up advertisements
The simplest method to remove S1-n.com pop ups is to run an antimalware application capable of detecting adware. We recommend try Zemana Free or another free malware remover which listed below. It has excellent detection rate when it comes to adware software, hijackers and other potentially unwanted applications.
Use Zemana to delete S1-n.com pop ups
Zemana is an extremely fast utility to get rid of S1-n.com ads from the Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer. It also removes malicious software and adware from your PC system. It improves your system’s performance by deleting PUPs.
Now you can install and use Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) to delete S1-n.com pop ups from your internet browser by following the steps below:
Click the link below to download Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) setup file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup on your PC. Save it to your Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
Start the setup file after it has been downloaded successfully and then follow the prompts to install this utility on your computer.
During installation you can change certain settings, but we suggest you do not make any changes to default settings.
When install is done, this malicious software removal tool will automatically run and update itself. You will see its main window as shown in the figure below.
Now click the “Scan” button to begin checking your personal computer for the adware which causes the unwanted S1-n.com popup ads. A scan may take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your computer and the speed of your personal computer. When a malware, adware or potentially unwanted apps are detected, the count of the security threats will change accordingly.
When the scan get finished, Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) will open you the results. Next, you need to click “Next” button.
The Zemana Free will begin to remove adware which causes pop-ups. After disinfection is finished, you can be prompted to restart your computer to make the change take effect.
Get rid of S1-n.com pop ups from web-browsers with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a free removal utility which can check your PC for a wide range of security threats such as malicious software, adware softwares, PUPs as well as adware which causes pop ups. It will perform a deep scan of your device including hard drives and Microsoft Windows registry. Once a malicious software is found, it will help you to remove all detected threats from your computer with a simple click.
Installing the HitmanPro is simple. First you’ll need to download HitmanPro from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
Download and run HitmanPro on your PC. Once started, click “Next” button to perform a system scan with this utility for the adware that causes S1-n.com pop-ups in your internet browser. This procedure may take some time, so please be patient. While the tool is checking, you may see how many objects and files has already scanned..
Once Hitman Pro completes the scan, Hitman Pro will display you the results.
In order to remove all items, simply click Next button.
It will display a prompt, click the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to get rid of all malware found.
Get rid of S1-n.com pop-ups with MalwareBytes
If you’re still having issues with the S1-n.com ads — or just wish to scan your PC occasionally for adware software and other malware — download MalwareBytes Free. It is free for home use, and identifies and removes various undesired applications that attacks your device or degrades computer performance. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) can get rid of adware, PUPs as well as malicious software, including ransomware and trojans.
First, visit the page linked below, then click the ‘Download’ button in order to download the latest version of MalwareBytes Free.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
When downloading is complete, close all windows on your personal computer. Further, launch the file named MBSetup. If the “User Account Control” dialog box pops up as shown on the image below, click the “Yes” button.
It will show the Setup wizard which will allow you setup MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) on the device. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
Once installation is finished successfully, press “Get Started” button. Then MalwareBytes Free will automatically start and you can see its main window like below.
Next, press the “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the adware related to the S1-n.com advertisements. When a malicious software, adware or PUPs are detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the scanning is complete.
When the scan get completed, MalwareBytes will create a list of unwanted programs and adware. All found items will be marked. You can remove them all by simply click “Quarantine” button.
The MalwareBytes Anti Malware will remove adware software responsible for S1-n.com pop ups and move the selected threats to the Quarantine. After the task is done, you may be prompted to restart your computer. We suggest you look at the following video, which completely explains the process of using the MalwareBytes Free to remove browser hijackers, adware and other malware.
Stop S1-n.com advertisements
To put it simply, you need to use an ad-blocking tool (AdGuard, for example). It will block and protect you from all unwanted webpages such as S1-n.com, ads and popups. To be able to do that, the ad blocker program uses a list of filters. Each filter is a rule that describes a malicious web site, an advertising content, a banner and others. The ad blocker application automatically uses these filters, depending on the websites you’re visiting.
- AdGuard can be downloaded from the following link. Save it directly to your Microsoft Windows Desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After downloading it, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the setup is complete, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your device, AdGuard will launch automatically and stop undesired ads, block S1-n.com, as well as other malicious or misleading web-sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, that can be found on your desktop.
To sum up
Once you’ve done the steps outlined above, your computer should be free from adware that causes S1-n.com popup advertisements in your web browser and other malware. The IE, Google Chrome, MS Edge and Mozilla Firefox will no longer redirect you to various unwanted websites such as S1-n.com. Unfortunately, if the step-by-step guide does not help you, then you have caught a new adware, and then the best way – ask for help here.