What is Smarty
According to security specialists, Smarty is an adware browser extension. Adware is not as dangerous as like a Trojan horse or Ransomware, but its presence can bring constant pop ups and/or annoying ads. Actually authors of adware is associated with some merchants and by displaying advertising to users they generate revenue for yourself. These advertisements not only bother your browsing experience but also redirect your web browser to unsafe web-sites.
The worst is, the Smarty adware can be used to gather your browsing history and sensitive info, including passwords and credit card numbers. In the future, privacy information about you can be sold to third parties. Below we are discussing the solutions which are very effective in deleting adware. The tutorial will also assist you to delete Smarty from your personal computer for free.
How does Smarty get on your computer
Adware usually gets onto computers by being attached to free software. So, when you installing freeware, carefully read the disclaimers, choose the Custom or Advanced setup type to watch for third-party software that are being installed, because some of the applications are potentially unwanted programs and adware.
|Name||Smarty, “Smarty adware”, “Smarty pop-ups”|
|Type||adware, potentially unwanted application (PUA), pop-up virus, pop up advertisements, popups|
|Removal||Smarty removal guide|
How to remove Smarty ads (Adware removal guide)
We can help you get rid of Smarty ads from your browsers, without the need to take your computer to a professional. Simply follow the removal instructions below if you currently have the intrusive adware on your computer and want to remove it. If you’ve any difficulty while trying to remove the adware, feel free to ask for our help in the comment section below. Certain of the steps will require you to reboot your PC or close this webpage. So, read this instructions carefully, then bookmark this page or open it on your smartphone for later reference.
To remove Smarty, perform the following steps:
- How to manually delete Smarty
- Automatic Removal of Smarty
- How to stay safe online
How to manually delete Smarty
First try to delete Smarty adware software manually; to do this, follow the steps below. Of course, manual removal of adware software requires more time and may not be suitable for those who are poorly versed in system settings. In this case, we advise that you scroll down to the section that describes how to get rid of Smarty using free tools.
Remove newly added adware software
Check out the MS Windows Control Panel (Programs and Features section) to see all installed apps. We suggest to click on the “Date Installed” in order to sort the list of software by the date you installed them. If you see any unknown and dubious programs, they are the ones you need to delete.
Windows 10, 8.1, 8
Click the MS Windows logo, and then click Search . Type ‘Control panel’and press Enter as displayed below.
Once the ‘Control Panel’ opens, press the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as on the image below.
Windows 7, Vista, XP
Open Start menu and select the ‘Control Panel’ at right like below.
Then go to ‘Add/Remove Programs’ or ‘Uninstall a program’ (MS Windows 7 or Vista) as displayed in the following example.
Carefully browse through the list of installed software and remove all questionable and unknown software. We suggest to press ‘Installed programs’ and even sorts all installed applications by date. When you have found anything suspicious that may be the Smarty adware or other potentially unwanted application (PUA), then select this program and click ‘Uninstall’ in the upper part of the window. If the questionable application blocked from removal, then run Revo Uninstaller Freeware to completely remove it from your PC.
Get rid of Smarty adware from Internet Explorer
By resetting Microsoft Internet Explorer web browser you return your browser settings to its default state. This is basic when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by Smarty adware.
First, run the Internet Explorer, then press ‘gear’ icon . It will show the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the web browser, then click the “Internet Options” as displayed below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The Internet Explorer will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” prompt. Further, press the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, press the “Reset” button like below.
Once the task is finished, click “Close” button. Close the Internet Explorer and restart your PC for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your internet browser’s new tab page, search provider and startpage to default state.
Remove Smarty adware from Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings will delete Smarty from internet browser and disable harmful add-ons. It will also clear cached and temporary data (cookies, site data and content). Your saved bookmarks, form auto-fill information and passwords won’t be cleared or changed.
- First start the Google Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the plugin labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guidance: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Chrome will display the reset profile settings page as on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this procedure is finished, your web-browser’s startpage, default search provider and newtab page will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Delete Smarty from Firefox by resetting internet browser settings
Resetting Mozilla Firefox web browser will reset all the settings to their default values and will remove Smarty adware, malicious add-ons and extensions. Your saved bookmarks, form auto-fill information and passwords won’t be cleared or changed.
Start the Mozilla Firefox and click the menu button (it looks like three stacked lines) at the top right of the browser screen. Next, press the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It will open the slide-out menu.
Select the “Troubleshooting information”. If you are unable to access the Help menu, then type “about:support” in your address bar and press Enter. It bring up the “Troubleshooting Information” page as on the image below.
Click the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the Troubleshooting Information page. Select “Refresh Firefox” in the confirmation dialog box. The Mozilla Firefox will start a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the Smarty adware software. When, it’s done, click the “Finish” button.
Automatic Removal of Smarty
Best Smarty removal utility should search for and delete adware, malware, PUPs, toolbars, keyloggers, browser hijackers, worms, Trojans, and pop up generators. The key is locating one with a good reputation and these features. Most quality programs listed below offer a free scan and malware removal so you can locate and uninstall undesired applications without having to pay.
How to remove Smarty adware software with Zemana Free
Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) is a program that is used for malware, adware, browser hijackers and potentially unwanted apps removal. The program is one of the most efficient anti-malware utilities. It helps in malware removal and and defends all other types of security threats. One of the biggest advantages of using Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) is that is easy to use and is free. Also, it constantly keeps updating its virus/malware signatures DB. Let’s see how to install and scan your device with Zemana Free in order to remove Smarty from your personal computer.
- Zemana can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- Once downloading is finished, close all software and windows on your device. Open a file location. Double-click on the icon that’s named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is finished, click the “Scan” button to start checking your computer for the Smarty adware. Depending on your personal computer, the scan may take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. When a threat is detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly.
- When Zemana is finished scanning your computer, you can check all items detected on your device. All found threats will be marked. You can delete them all by simply press “Next”. After that process is done, you can be prompted to restart your PC system.
Use Hitman Pro to remove Smarty
Hitman Pro is a portable program which requires no hard installation to detect and delete Smarty adware. The application itself is small in size (only a few Mb). Hitman Pro does not need any drivers and special dlls. It is probably easier to use than any alternative malicious software removal tools you’ve ever tried. HitmanPro works on 64 and 32-bit versions of Windows 10, 8, 7 and XP. It proves that removal utility can be just as effective as the widely known antivirus applications.
- Download HitmanPro on your device from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- Once the download is finished, launch the Hitman Pro, double-click the HitmanPro.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the Hitman Pro window, click the “Next” . Hitman Pro application will scan through the whole computer for the Smarty adware. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your personal computer and the speed of your personal computer. While the HitmanPro utility is checking, you can see number of objects it has identified as being infected by malware.
- When Hitman Pro completes the scan, it will show the Scan Results. You may remove threats (move to Quarantine) by simply press “Next”. Now, click the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial to remove all malicious software found.
How to remove Smarty with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Manual Smarty removal requires some computer skills. Some files and registry entries that created by the adware software may be not fully removed. We suggest that run the MalwareBytes Free that are completely free your computer of adware. Moreover, the free program will allow you to remove malware, potentially unwanted software, browser hijackers and toolbars that your computer can be infected too.
Visit the following page to download the latest version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) for Windows. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
After downloading is finished, run it and follow the prompts. Once installed, the MalwareBytes Free will try to update itself and when this task is finished, click the “Scan” button . MalwareBytes program will scan through the whole PC for the Smarty adware software. This task can take quite a while, so please be patient. During the scan MalwareBytes Free will find threats present on your PC system. Make sure all threats have ‘checkmark’ and click “Quarantine” button.
The MalwareBytes AntiMalware is a free application that you can use to remove all detected folders, files, services, registry entries and so on. To learn more about this malicious software removal utility, we recommend you to read and follow the steps or the video guide below.
How to stay safe online
The AdGuard is a very good adblocker application for the Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, with active user support. It does a great job by removing certain types of annoying ads, popunders, popups, unwanted newtab pages, and even full page ads and web site overlay layers. Of course, the AdGuard can block harmful websites automatically or by using a custom filter rule.
- Download AdGuard by clicking on the following link. Save it on your Microsoft Windows desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After downloading it, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- When the install is done, click “Skip” to close the setup program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your PC system, AdGuard will start automatically and stop undesired ads, block Smarty, as well as other malicious or misleading websites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, that can be found on your desktop.
To sum up
Now your personal computer should be free of the Smarty adware. We suggest that you keep Zemana Anti Malware (to periodically scan your device for new adware softwares and other malware) and AdGuard (to help you block intrusive pop up advertisements and harmful web sites). Moreover, to prevent any adware, please stay clear of unknown and third party programs, make sure that your antivirus application, turn on the option to locate PUPs.
If you need more help with Smarty related issues, go to here.