What is Black Mode
Black Mode is supposed to be a browser extension that will improve the browsing experience, but according to security researchers, it is an adware. Adware is considered a potentially security threat because it often installed on computers without persmission. Adware is form of malicious software which displays unwanted advertising on a computer, redirects search results to advertising websites and collects confidential information for marketing purposes. Adware can display banner ads, full-screen ads, pop-ups, videos, or other varieties of online advertising. Maybe you approve the idea that the ads or pop-ups is just a small problem. But these annoying ads eat computer resources and slow down your PC performance.
The worst is, adware has the ability to gather your confidential information such as what websites you are opening, what you are looking for the World Wide Web and so on. This personal data, subsequently, may be used for marketing purposes.
Adware is usually written in ways common to malicious software, spyware and hijackers. In order to remove Black Mode adware, you will need use the steps below or use free adware removal tool listed below.
How does Black Mode get on your PC system
Many of the freeware out there install unwanted internet browser toolbars, hijackers, adware software and potentially unwanted programs along with them without your knowledge. One has to be attentive while installing freeware in order to avoid accidentally installing additional software. It’s important that you pay attention to the EULA (End User License Agreements) and choose the Custom, Manual or Advanced setup method as it will typically disclose what additional apps will also be installed.
|Name||Black Mode, “Black Mode extension”|
|Type||adware software, potentially unwanted program (PUP), popup virus, popups, pop-up ads|
|Removal||Black Mode removal guide|
How to remove Black Mode from Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge
There are several steps to deleting the Black Mode adware, because it installs itself so deeply into MS Windows. You need to uninstall all suspicious and unknown software, then remove harmful extensions from the Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer and Firefox and other internet browsers you have installed. Finally, you need to reset your web-browser settings to delete any changes the adware has made, and then scan your device with Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM), MalwareBytes Free or Hitman Pro to ensure the adware is fully removed. It will take a while.
To remove Black Mode, use the steps below:
- How to remove Black Mode adware without any software
- Automatic Removal of Black Mode adware
- How to stay safe online
How to remove Black Mode adware without any software
Most adware software can be removed manually, without the use of antivirus or other removal tools. The manual steps below will help you remove Black Mode adware step by step. Although each of the steps is very easy and does not require special knowledge, but you are not sure that you can finish them, then use the free utilities, a list of which is given below.
Delete unwanted or newly installed apps
When troubleshooting a device, one common step is go to Windows Control Panel and remove dubious apps. The same approach will be used in the removal of Black Mode adware. Please use steps based on your MS Windows version.
Press Windows button , then click Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then press “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will open the Windows Control Panel as displayed below.
Further, press “Uninstall a program”
It will display a list of all programs installed on your computer. Scroll through the all list, and delete any questionable and unknown applications.
Delete Black Mode adware from IE
The Internet Explorer reset is great if your web-browser is hijacked or you have unwanted add-ons or toolbars on your web browser, that installed by an malware.
First, start the IE. Next, press the button in the form of gear (). It will display the Tools drop-down menu, click the “Internet Options” such as the one below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Microsoft Internet Explorer will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window like the one below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click “Reset” button.
You will now need to restart your personal computer for the changes to take effect.
Remove Black Mode adware from Google Chrome
If you are getting unwanted ads, then you can try to remove it by resetting Chrome to its default state. It will also clear cookies, content and site data, temporary and cached data. However, your saved passwords and bookmarks will not be changed or cleared.
- First, start the Google Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed plugins. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guide: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Advanced” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Google Chrome will display the reset settings dialog box as on the image above.
- Confirm the web browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of Black Mode adware from Firefox
If your Mozilla Firefox web-browser is hijacked by the Black Mode adware, then reset browser settings. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be lost. This will not affect your history, passwords, bookmarks, and other saved data.
Start the Mozilla Firefox and click the menu button (it looks like three stacked lines) at the top right of the internet browser screen. Next, click the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It will display the slide-out menu.
Select the “Troubleshooting information”. If you are unable to access the Help menu, then type “about:support” in your address bar and press Enter. It bring up the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown on the screen below.
Click the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the Troubleshooting Information page. Select “Refresh Firefox” in the confirmation prompt. The Mozilla Firefox will begin a task to fix your problems that caused by the Black Mode adware software. When, it is complete, click the “Finish” button.
Automatic Removal of Black Mode adware
In order to completely remove Black Mode, you not only need to delete adware software from your personal computer, but also remove all its components in your computer including Windows registry entries. We suggest to download and run free removal utilities to automatically clean your computer of Black Mode adware.
Run Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) to remove Black Mode adware software
Zemana Free is a free program for Microsoft Windows operating system to scan for and delete Black Mode , and other unwanted apps like PUPs, malicious web browser addons, browser toolbars.
Please go to the following link to download the latest version of Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) for Microsoft Windows. Save it on your Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
Once the download is done, launch it and follow the prompts. Once installed, the Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) will try to update itself and when this process is done, click the “Scan” button . Zemana Anti Malware application will scan through the whole PC system for the Black Mode .
While the utility is scanning, you can see how many objects and files has already scanned. Once you have selected what you want to delete from your PC system click “Next” button.
The Zemana AntiMalware will start to get rid of Black Mode adware.
Use HitmanPro to get rid of Black Mode adware
Hitman Pro is a free program which designed to get rid of malware, potentially unwanted programs, browser hijackers and adware software from your computer running MS Windows 10, 8, 7, XP (32-bit and 64-bit). It’ll help to identify and remove Black Mode , including its files, folders and registry keys.
- HitmanPro can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your Microsoft Windows desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- After the downloading process is done, double click the HitmanPro icon. Once this tool is started, click “Next” button . HitmanPro program will scan through the whole device for the Black Mode adware. A scan may take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your computer and the speed of your personal computer. When a malicious software, adware or PUPs are found, the number of the security threats will change accordingly.
- When Hitman Pro is finished scanning your PC system, Hitman Pro will open a list of all items found by the scan. In order to remove all threats, simply click “Next” button. Now press the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial to delete all malicious software found.
Use MalwareBytes AntiMalware to delete Black Mode adware
You can remove Black Mode automatically through the use of MalwareBytes AntiMalware. We suggest this free malicious software removal utility because it may easily delete browser hijackers, adware, PUPs and toolbars with all their components such as files, folders and registry entries.
Download MalwareBytes by clicking on the link below. Save it on your Microsoft Windows desktop or in any other place.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
When the downloading process is complete, close all applications and windows on your device. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s called MBSetup as on the image below.
When the setup begins, you’ll see the Setup wizard which will help you setup Malwarebytes on your device.
Once installation is finished, you’ll see window as displayed on the screen below.
Now click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan with this utility for the Black Mode adware. This task can take quite a while, so please be patient. During the scan MalwareBytes Free will detect threats present on your personal computer.
Once MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) completes the scan, MalwareBytes Anti Malware will display a scan report. All detected items will be marked. You can remove them all by simply click “Quarantine” button.
The Malwarebytes will now get rid of Black Mode adware software. When that process is finished, you may be prompted to reboot your computer.
The following video explains steps on how to remove browser hijacker, adware software and other malicious software with MalwareBytes AntiMalware.
How to stay safe online
If you want to get rid of intrusive ads, internet browser redirects and pop-ups, then install an ad-blocker program such as AdGuard. It can block unwanted advertisements and popups, stop web-sites from tracking your online activities when using the Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Firefox. So, if you like surf the Internet, but you don’t like annoying advertisements and want to protect your PC from malicious web-sites, then the AdGuard is your best choice.
- AdGuard can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your Microsoft Windows desktop or in any other place.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- When the download is done, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the setup is complete, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted ads, block Black Mode, as well as other malicious or misleading web-pages. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, which can be found on your desktop.
To sum up
Now your computer should be free of the Black Mode adware. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted pop-up ads and intrusive malicious websites) and Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) (to periodically scan your personal computer for new adware softwares and other malware). Probably you are running an older version of Java or Adobe Flash Player. This can be a security risk, so download and install the latest version right now.
If you are still having problems while trying to get rid of unwanted ads from the Firefox, Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer and MS Edge, then ask for help here here.