What is CommonOptimization?
CommonOptimization is an adware programs that targets Mac computers. What is Adware? Adware is type of malware which presents unwanted advertising on a MAC OS, redirects search results to advertising web sites and collects confidential data for marketing purposes. Adware can display banner advertisements, full-screen advertisements, pop ups, videos, or other varieties of online advertising. Adware software can attack your MAC OS’s web browsers like the Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Chrome. Maybe you approve the idea that the ads or popups is just a small problem. But these annoying advertisements eat computer resources and slow down your machine performance.
The worst is, adware can install a component that enables its creator to track which webpages you visit, which products you look at upon those pages. They are then able to choose the type of ads they display you. So, if you had adware on your MAC, there is a good chance you have another that is gathering and sharing your privacy information with third parties, without your consent.
How does CommonOptimization get on your MAC
Adware usually is bundled within freeware. A freeware installer tricks you into accepting the installation of optional programs, which you don’t really want. Moreover, some paid apps may also install additional apps which you do not want! Therefore, always download free software and paid programs from reputable download websites. Use ONLY custom or manual installation option and never blindly press Next button.
|Name||CommonOptimization, Common Optimization 1.0 app|
|Type||adware software, PUP (potentially unwanted program), popups, pop up advertisements, pop up virus|
|Removal||CommonOptimization removal guide|
How to Remove CommonOptimization (removal steps)
The adware is a form of malware that you might have difficulty in deleting it from your MAC system. Happily, you have found the effective adware removal tutorial in this article. Both the manual removal method and the automatic removal way will be provided below and you can just choose the one that best for you. If you have any questions or need help then type a comment below. Read it once, after doing so, please bookmark this page (or open it on your smartphone) as you may need to close your web-browser or reboot your MAC OS.
To remove CommonOptimization, use the steps below:
- How to delete CommonOptimization adware without any software
- Automatic Removal of CommonOptimization adware
- How to stay safe online
- To sum up
How to delete CommonOptimization adware without any software
In this section of the article, we have posted the steps that will help to remove CommonOptimization adware manually. Although compared to removal tools, this solution loses in time, but you don’t need to download anything on your Apple Mac. It will be enough for you to follow the detailed tutorial with pictures. We tried to describe each step in detail, but if you realized that you might not be able to figure it out, or simply do not want to change the Microsoft Windows and browser settings, then it’s better for you to use tools from trusted developers, which are listed below.
Uninstall dubious programs using the Finder
First, go to the Finder and remove dubious programs, all applications you don’t remember installing. It’s important to pay the most attention to software you installed just before CommonOptimization adware appeared on your web-browser. If you don’t know what a program does, look for the answer on the Net.
Open Finder and click “Applications”.
Carefully browse through the list of installed software and remove all questionable and unknown applications.
Once you’ve found anything dubious that may be the CommonOptimization adware or other potentially unwanted application, then right click this program and select “Move to Trash”. Once complete, Empty Trash.
Remove CommonOptimization adware from Chrome
This step will show you how to reset Google Chrome browser settings to default state. This can remove CommonOptimization ads and fix some surfing problems, especially after adware software infection. It will save your personal information such as saved passwords, bookmarks, auto-fill data and open tabs.
- First start the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the plugin labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guidance: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset” button.
- The Chrome will display the reset profile settings page as shown on the screen above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this process is done, your internet browser’s search engine by default, newtab page and home page will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Remove CommonOptimization from Mozilla Firefox by resetting web browser settings
The Mozilla Firefox reset will remove the CommonOptimization ads, modified preferences, extensions and security settings. However, your saved passwords and bookmarks will not be changed, deleted or cleared.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and click the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as displayed in the following example.
A small menu will appear, press the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, click “Refresh Firefox” button such as the one below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to revert back your Mozilla Firefox internet browser settings to their original settings.
Remove CommonOptimization adware from Safari
If you find that Safari web browser settings such as newtab, start page and default search provider having been modified by CommonOptimization , then you may return your settings, via the reset web-browser procedure.
Run Safari internet browser. Next, choose Preferences from the Safari menu.
First, click the “Security” tab. Here, select “Block pop-up windows”. It will stop some types of pop ups.
Now, click the “Extensions” tab. Look for dubious extensions on left panel, select it, then press the “Uninstall” button. Most important to remove all questionable plugins from Safari.
Once complete, check your start page and search provider settings. Click “General” icon. Make sure that the “Homepage” field contains the website you want or is empty.
Make sure that the “Search engine” setting shows your preferred search provider. In some versions of Safari, this setting is in the “Search” tab.
Automatic Removal of CommonOptimization adware
If you are unsure how to get rid of CommonOptimization easily, consider using automatic adware software removal programs which listed below. It will identify adware software and remove it from your MAC for free.
How to remove CommonOptimization with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
We recommend using the MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM). You may download and install MalwareBytes AntiMalware to find adware software and remove CommonOptimization ads from your web-browsers. When installed and updated, this free malicious software remover automatically detects and removes all threats exist on the MAC OS.
- Please go to the link below to download MalwareBytes Free.
Malwarebytes Anti-malware (Mac)
Category: Security tools
Update: September 10, 2020
- Once the downloading process is done, please close all applications and open windows on your computer. Run the downloaded file. Follow the prompts.
- The MalwareBytes will open and show the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button . MalwareBytes program will scan through the whole computer for the CommonOptimization adware. While the MalwareBytes Free is checking, you may see count of objects it has identified either as being malicious software.
- When MalwareBytes Free completes the scan, MalwareBytes Anti Malware will open a list of all items detected by the scan.
- Review the report and then click the “Remove Selected Items” button.
- Close the AntiMalware and continue with the next step.
How to stay safe online
Run adblocker program like AdGuard in order to stop advertisements, malvertisements, pop-ups and online trackers, avoid having to install malicious and adware browser plug-ins and add-ons which affect your MAC OS performance and impact your computer security. Surf the Net anonymously and stay safe online!
- Download AdGuard on your MAC by clicking on the following link.
AdGuard for Mac download
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: January 17, 2018
- When the downloading process is complete, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the installation is done, press “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you start your MAC OS, AdGuard will start automatically and stop undesired advertisements, block harmful and misleading webpages.
To sum up
Now your Apple Mac should be clean of the CommonOptimization adware. We suggest that you keep MalwareBytes Anti Malware (to periodically scan your MAC for new adware softwares and other malicious software) and AdGuard (to help you block intrusive pop up ads and malicious web-pages). Moreover, to prevent any adware software, please stay clear of unknown and third party software.
If you need more help with CommonOptimization related issues, go to here.