ElementaryOptimizer is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that belong to the category of Adware. Adware is a part of software whose motive is to generate revenue for its developer. It have different ways of earning by showing the ads forcibly to its victims. Adware can generate popup deals, show unwanted ads, change the victim’s internet browser settings, or reroute the victim’s web-browser to unrequested web pages. Aside from causing unwanted advertisements and browser redirects, it also can slow down the computer.
The worst is, ElementaryOptimizer can analyze the location and which World Wide Web web-pages you visit, and then present advertisements to the types of content, goods or services featured there. Adware creators can collect and sell your surfing information and behavior to third parties.
How does ElementaryOptimizer get on your computer
|Name||ElementaryOptimizer, Elementary Optimizer 1.0 app|
|Type||adware, PUP (potentially unwanted program), pop up ads, popup virus, popups|
|Removal||ElementaryOptimizer removal guide|
How to Remove ElementaryOptimizer
There are a few methods which can be used to delete ElementaryOptimizer adware. But, not all potentially unwanted apps like this adware can be completely removed using only manual ways. In many cases you’re not able to remove any adware utilizing standard Mac OS options. In order to remove ElementaryOptimizer you need complete a few manual steps and use reliable removal tools. Most IT security professionals states that MalwareBytes utility is a right choice. The free application is able to scan for and get rid of unwanted ads from your MAC system and revert back your web browser settings to defaults.
To remove ElementaryOptimizer, use the following steps:
- How to remove ElementaryOptimizer adware without any software
- Automatic Removal of ElementaryOptimizer adware software
- How to stay safe online
- To sum up
How to remove ElementaryOptimizer adware without any software
This part of the article is a step-by-step instructions that will allow you to remove ElementaryOptimizer ads manually. You just need to carefully complete each step. In this case, you do not need to download any additional programs.
Delete dubious apps using the Finder
One of the first things to attempt for removal of adware is to check your MAC installed applications screen and look for unwanted and suspicious software. If there are any applications you do not recognize or are no longer using, you should delete them. If that doesn’t work, then you may need to use adware removal utility like MalwareBytes Free.
- Open the Finder.
- Click “Applications”.
- It will open a list of all apps installed on the MAC OS.
- Scroll through the all list, and uninstall questionable and unknown software. Pay maximum attention to the program you installed last.
- Drag the dubious program from the Applications folder to the Trash.
- Empty Trash.
Delete ElementaryOptimizer from Firefox by resetting web browser settings
If the Firefox settings like startpage, newtab page and search provider have been replaced by the ElementaryOptimizer adware, then resetting it to the default state can help. However, your themes, bookmarks, history, passwords, and web form auto-fill information will not be deleted.
First, launch the Firefox and press button. It will show the drop-down menu on the right-part of the web-browser. Further, click the Help button () as shown in the following example.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the web browser adress bar and press Enter. It will display the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown on the screen below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, press the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will display the confirmation dialog box. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Firefox will begin a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the ElementaryOptimizer adware. Once, it is finished, click the “Finish” button.
Remove ElementaryOptimizer adware from Safari
By resetting Safari web-browser you revert back your web-browser settings to its default state. This is basic when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by the ElementaryOptimizer adware.
Click Safari menu and choose “Preferences”.
It will open the Safari Preferences window. Next, click the “Extensions” tab. Look for unknown and suspicious extensions on left panel, select it, then click the “Uninstall” button. Most important to get rid of all unknown add-ons from Safari.
Once complete, click “General” tab. Change the “Default Search Engine” to Google.
Find the “Homepage” and type into textfield “https://www.google.com”.
Remove ElementaryOptimizer from Chrome
If adware software, other application or plugins changed your Chrome settings without your knowledge, then you can get rid of ElementaryOptimizer ads and return your web browser settings in Google Chrome at any time. However, your saved passwords and bookmarks will not be changed, deleted or cleared.
- First, run the Google Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed addons. If the list has the add-on labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following instructions: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Advanced” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, press the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Google Chrome will open the reset settings dialog box as on the image above.
- Confirm the internet browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Automatic Removal of ElementaryOptimizer adware software
Is your Apple Mac computer infected with adware? Then don’t worry, in the guidance listed below, we’re sharing best malware removal utilities which can be used to delete ElementaryOptimizer from the Chrome, Firefox and Safari and your computer.
Get rid of ElementaryOptimizer adware software with MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM)
Manual ElementaryOptimizer removal requires some computer skills. Some files that created by the adware can be not completely removed. We advise that use the MalwareBytes Free that are fully free your computer of adware. Moreover, this free utility will help you to remove hijacker, malware, potentially unwanted software and toolbars that your MAC can be infected too.
Installing the MalwareBytes Free is simple. First you’ll need to download MalwareBytes on your MS Windows Desktop by clicking on the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: September 10, 2020
After downloading is done, close all applications and windows on your MAC system. Open a directory in which you saved it. Run the saved file and follow the prompts.
Once installation is complete, you will see window as on the image below.
Now press the “Scan” button . MalwareBytes program will scan through the whole MAC OS for the ElementaryOptimizer adware. This process can take quite a while, so please be patient.
As the scanning ends, a list of all items found is prepared. Next, you need to click “Remove Selected Items” button.
The Malwarebytes will now delete the lementaryOptimizer adware software and move the selected items to the Quarantine.
How to stay safe online
Run ad-blocker program such as AdGuard in order to stop ads, malvertisements, pop-ups and online trackers, avoid having to install harmful and adware browser plug-ins and add-ons that affect your computer performance and impact your Apple Mac security. Browse the World Wide Web anonymously and stay safe online!
- AdGuard can be downloaded from the following link.
AdGuard for Mac download
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: January 17, 2018
- After the download is finished, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the install is finished, press “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your MAC OS, AdGuard will start automatically and stop intrusive advertisements, block malicious and misleading websites.
To sum up
Now your machine should be clean of the ElementaryOptimizer adware. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you stop unwanted pop-ups and intrusive harmful web-sites) and MalwareBytes Free (to periodically scan your MAC OS for new malware, browser hijackers and adware software). Make sure that you have all the Critical Updates recommended for Mac operating system. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new hijackers, malicious programs and adware are released.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove ElementaryOptimizer ads from your web-browser, then ask for help here.