ExpertCharacterSearch is a potentially unwanted app belonging the adware (also known as ‘adware software’) group. In many cases, Expert Character Search like other adware installs on the MAC in a bundle with freeware that you downloaded and installed from the Web. Once it gets inside your machine, it will configure itself to launch automatically when the machine boot. ExpertCharacterSearch can alter machine settings, redirect your web-browser to undesired web pages, display unwanted pop up ads from various third-party ad networks and these annoying advertisements is troublesome to shut down.
Another reason why you need to delete ExpertCharacterSearch is its online data-tracking activity. Expert Character Search may monetize its functionality by gathering personal information from your surfing sessions. This user data, subsequently, can be easily sold to third parties. This puts your confidential info at a security risk.
|Name||ExpertCharacterSearch, Expert Character Search 1.0 app|
|Type||adware, potentially unwanted application (PUA), popup virus, popup ads, popups|
|Removal||ExpertCharacterSearch removal guide|
How does ExpertCharacterSearch get on your MAC OS
Thus, it’s clear that the presence of adware on your Apple Mac is not desirable, and you need to clean up your machine as quickly as possible. Follow the few simple steps below in order to get rid of ExpertCharacterSearch adware.
How to Remove ExpertCharacterSearch app (Adware virus removal instructions)
When the adware gets installed on your MAC without your knowledge, it’s not easy to delete. Most often, there is no Uninstall program that simply remove the ExpertCharacterSearch that causes web browsers to display annoying popups from your Apple Mac. So, we advise using well-proven free specialized tool such as MalwareBytes Free. But the best solution to delete ExpertCharacterSearch adware will be to perform several manual steps, after that additionally run antimalware utilities.
To remove ExpertCharacterSearch, complete the following steps:
- How to manually remove ExpertCharacterSearch
- Automatic Removal of ExpertCharacterSearch adware software
- How to stay safe online
- Finish words
How to manually remove ExpertCharacterSearch
In most cases, it’s possible to manually get rid of ExpertCharacterSearch adware. This way does not involve the use of any tricks or removal tools. You just need to recover the normal settings of the MAC system and internet browser. This can be done by following a few simple steps below. If you want to quickly remove Expert Character Search adware, as well as perform a full scan of your machine, we recommend that you use adware removal utilities, which are listed below.
Remove suspicious applications using the Finder
Check out the Finder (Applications section) to see all installed software. If you see any unknown and suspicious applications, they are the ones you need to delete.
Open Finder and click “Applications”.
Very carefully look around the entire list of applications installed on your MAC OS. Most probably, one of them is the ExpertCharacterSearch adware that cause unwanted pop up ads to appear. If you have many applications installed, you can help simplify the search of harmful programs by sort the list by date of installation.
Once you have found a dubious, unwanted or unused application, right click to it and choose “Move to Trash”. Another way is drag the program from the Applications folder to the Trash.
Don’t forget, choose Finder -> “Empty Trash”.
Delete ExpertCharacterSearch from Safari
By resetting Safari web-browser you return your web-browser settings to its default state. This is basic when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by ExpertCharacterSearch adware.
Run Safari web browser. Next, select Preferences from the Safari menu.
First, click the “Security” icon. Here, choose “Block pop-up windows”. It will block some types of popups.
Now, click the “Extensions” icon. Look for suspicious plugins on left panel, choose it, then press the “Uninstall” button. Most important to remove all questionable extensions from Safari.
Once complete, check your start page and search engine settings. Click “General” tab. Make sure that the “Homepage” field contains the website you want or is empty.
Make sure that the “Search engine” setting shows your preferred search engine. In some versions of Safari, this setting is in the “Search” tab.
Remove ExpertCharacterSearch adware from Chrome
This step will show you how to reset Chrome browser settings to default values. This can remove Expert Character Search and fix some browsing problems, especially after adware infection. However, your themes, bookmarks, history, passwords, and web form auto-fill information will not be deleted.
- First launch the Google Chrome and press Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will show the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed plugins. If the list has the plugin labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following steps: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset” button.
- The Google Chrome will show the reset profile settings page as shown on the screen above.
- Next press the “Reset” button.
- Once this procedure is complete, your internet browser’s newtab page, homepage and search provider by default will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of ExpertCharacterSearch adware software from Firefox
If Firefox settings are hijacked by the adware software, your web browser shows unwanted pop-up advertisements, then ‘Reset Firefox’ could solve these problems. Essential information such as bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, cookies, auto-fill data and personal dictionaries will not be removed.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and press the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as shown on the screen below.
A small menu will appear, press the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, press “Refresh Firefox” button as shown in the following example.
Follow the onscreen procedure to restore your Mozilla Firefox internet browser settings to their original state.
Automatic Removal of ExpertCharacterSearch adware software
Spyware, adware, PUPs and hijackers can be difficult to get rid of manually. Do not try to get rid of this applications without the aid of malware removal tools. In order to completely remove adware software from your MAC system, use professionally created utility such as MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM).
Use MalwareBytes to remove ExpertCharacterSearch
We recommend using the MalwareBytes AntiMalware that are fully clean your Apple Mac of the adware. This free utility is an advanced malicious software removal program developed by (c) Malwarebytes lab. This application uses the world’s most popular anti malware technology. It is able to help you delete Expert Character Search adware from your web browsers, uninstall other PUPs, malware, hijackers, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your MAC OS for free.
- Visit the following page to download the latest version of MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) for Mac OS.
Malwarebytes Anti-malware (Mac)
Category: Security tools
Update: July 10, 2018
- After the downloading process is finished, please close all apps and open windows on your MAC OS. Run the downloaded file. Follow the prompts.
- The MalwareBytes Anti Malware will start and display the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan” button to begin scanning your MAC OS for the ExpertCharacterSearch adware. A scan may take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your machine and the speed of your MAC OS. While the MalwareBytes Free is scanning, you may see number of objects it has identified either as being malicious software.
- Once the scan is done, MalwareBytes will display a scan report.
- When you’re ready, click the “Remove Selected Items” button.
- Close the AntiMalware and continue with the next step.
How to stay safe online
By installing an ad-blocking application such as AdGuard, you are able to block malicious websites, stop autoplaying video ads and remove a large amount of distracting and annoying ads on web-pages.
Please go to the following link to download the latest version of AdGuard for Mac OS.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: January 17, 2018
When the downloading process is complete, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen. Follow the prompts.
Each time, when you start your machine, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted ads, block malicious or misleading web pages.
Now your MAC OS should be clean of the ExpertCharacterSearch adware. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted pop ups and intrusive malicious webpages) and MalwareBytes AntiMalware (to periodically scan your MAC for new adwares and other malware).
If you are still having problems while trying to remove ExpertCharacterSearch ads from the Google Chrome, Safari and Firefox, then ask for help here here.