According to security specialists, the SearchReceipts is an unwanted program (browser extension) which falls under the category of Adware . Adware is something that you should be aware of even if you run Google Chrome or other modern browser. This is the name given to programs that have been created to show unwanted ads and popup deals onto your browser screen. The reason for adware’s existence is to make profit for its author.
Does adware steal your personal data? Adware may monetize its functionality by gathering confidential data from your surfing sessions. This sensitive information, subsequently, can be easily transferred to third parties. This puts your user information at a security risk.
|Type||adware software, potentially unwanted application (PUA), popup advertisements, popups, popup virus|
|Removal||SearchReceipts removal guide|
How did Adware get on your personal computer
The most popular method to get adware is freeware setup file. Most often, a user have a chance to disable all third-party web browser plugins, but certain setup files are developed to confuse the average users, in order to trick them into installing potentially unwanted programs and adware software. Anyway, easier to prevent adware software rather than clean up your personal computer after one. So, keep your web-browser updated (turn on automatic updates), use good antivirus software, double check free software before you open it (do a google search, scan a downloaded file with VirusTotal), avoid shady and unknown websites.
Don’t panic because we’ve got the solution. Here’s a guide on how to get rid of SearchReceipts adware from the personal computer and clean your web browser of intrusive ads.
How to remove SearchReceipts adware (removal guidance)
There are several steps to removing the SearchReceipts which redirects your web browser to intrusive ad websites, because it installs itself so deeply into Windows. You need to uninstall all suspicious and unknown programs, then remove malicious plugins from the Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, IE and Edge and other internet browsers you’ve installed. Finally, you need to reset your internet browser settings to get rid of any changes the adware has made, and then scan your system with Zemana, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) or Hitman Pro to ensure the adware is fully removed. It will take a while.
To remove SearchReceipts, perform the steps below:
- How to remove SearchReceipts adware without any software
- How to automatically remove SearchReceipts adware
- How to stay safe online
- Finish words
How to remove SearchReceipts adware without any software
First try to get rid of SearchReceipts manually; to do this, follow the steps below. Of course, manual removal of adware requires more time and may not be suitable for those who are poorly versed in system settings. In this case, we recommend that you scroll down to the section that describes how to remove SearchReceipts adware software using free utilities.
Delete recently added adware
First of all, check the list of installed applications on your personal computer and uninstall all unknown and newly added applications. If you see an unknown program with incorrect spelling or varying capital letters, it have most likely been installed by malicious software and you should clean it off first with malware removal tool like Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM).
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then click Windows button, next click Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then press “Start” button and press “Control Panel”.
- It will show the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, click “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will open a list of all applications installed on the PC.
- Scroll through the all list, and uninstall questionable and unknown programs. To quickly find the latest installed programs, we recommend sort apps by date.
See more details in the video guidance below.
Remove SearchReceipts from Firefox by resetting web-browser settings
If the Firefox settings such as startpage, search engine and newtab page have been replaced by the adware, then resetting it to the default state can help. However, your saved passwords and bookmarks will not be changed, deleted or cleared.
First, open the Mozilla Firefox and click button. It will display the drop-down menu on the right-part of the web-browser. Further, click the Help button () as shown in the figure below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the internet browser adress bar and press Enter. It will open the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown in the following example. In the upper-right corner of this screen, click the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will open the confirmation prompt. Further, press the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Mozilla Firefox will begin a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the SearchReceipts adware. Once, it is complete, press the “Finish” button.
Remove SearchReceipts adware software from Chrome
Reset Chrome settings is a easy solution to remove SearchReceipts ads, unwanted and ‘ad-supported’ extensions, web browser’s startpage, newtab page and default search engine that have been changed by adware.
- First start the Chrome and press Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed addons. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guide: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Google Chrome will show the reset profile settings page as shown on the screen above.
- Next press the “Reset” button.
- Once this process is complete, your web-browser’s newtab, default search engine and home page will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Remove SearchReceipts adware from Microsoft Internet Explorer
The Internet Explorer reset is great if your web browser is hijacked or you have unwanted add-ons or toolbars on your web browser, which installed by an malware.
First, run the Internet Explorer, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will open the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the web browser, then press the “Internet Options” like below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The Microsoft Internet Explorer will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” prompt. Further, click the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, click the “Reset” button as shown in the following example.
After the procedure is done, click “Close” button. Close the Microsoft Internet Explorer and reboot your computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your internet browser’s search provider, start page and newtab page to default state.
How to automatically remove SearchReceipts adware
Manual removal is not always as effective as you might think. Often, even the most experienced users can not fully delete SearchReceipts that causes multiple undesired ads and pop-ups. So, we suggest to scan your PC for any remaining harmful components with free adware removal programs below.
How to remove SearchReceipts adware with Zemana Anti Malware
Zemana Anti-Malware is one of the best in its class, it can find and delete a ton of of various security threats, including adware software, hijacker infections, spyware and trojans that masqueraded as legitimate system programs. Also Zemana includes another tool called FRST – is a helpful program for manual removal of files and parts of the Windows registry created by malware.
- Visit the following page to download the latest version of Zemana Free for Microsoft Windows. Save it directly to your Windows Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- Once you have downloaded the setup file, make sure to double click on the Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. This would start the Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) setup on your system.
- Select installation language and click ‘OK’ button.
- On the next screen ‘Setup Wizard’ simply click the ‘Next’ button and follow the prompts.
- Finally, once the install is done, Zemana Free will run automatically. Else, if does not then double-click on the Zemana Free icon on your desktop.
- Now that you have successfully install Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM), let’s see How to use Zemana to remove SearchReceipts adware software from your computer.
- After you have launched the Zemana Free, you will see a window as displayed in the following example, just press ‘Scan’ button to perform a system scan for the adware.
- Now pay attention to the screen while Zemana AntiMalware scans your personal computer.
- Once finished, you will be displayed the list of all detected threats on your system. Review the results once the utility has complete the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply press ‘Next’ button.
- Zemana may require a restart personal computer in order to complete the SearchReceipts adware removal process.
- If you want to fully remove adware from your machine, then click ‘Quarantine’ icon, select all malware, adware, PUPs and other items and click Delete.
- Restart your system to complete the adware removal process.
Get rid of SearchReceipts adware software and malicious extensions with HitmanPro
All-in-all, Hitman Pro is a fantastic utility to free your PC from any unwanted programs such as SearchReceipts adware that causes annoying popups. The HitmanPro is portable program that meaning, you do not need to install it to run it. Hitman Pro is compatible with all versions of Windows operating system from MS Windows XP to Windows 10. Both 64-bit and 32-bit systems are supported.
Download HitmanPro by clicking on the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
After the download is done, open the file location and double-click the HitmanPro icon. It will start the HitmanPro tool. If the User Account Control prompt will ask you want to launch the application, click Yes button to continue.
Next, click “Next” to perform a system scan with this tool for the SearchReceipts adware that cause undesired ads to appear. This procedure can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the HitmanPro utility is checking, you can see how many objects it has identified as being affected by malware.
When Hitman Pro is finished scanning your computer, Hitman Pro will open you the results as displayed on the screen below.
Review the results once the tool has done the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply press “Next” button. It will display a prompt, press the “Activate free license” button. The HitmanPro will remove SearchReceipts adware which redirects your browser to undesired ad websites. When that process is finished, the utility may ask you to reboot your personal computer.
Scan and free your system of adware software with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM)
Manual SearchReceipts adware software removal requires some computer skills. Some files and registry entries that created by the adware software can be not completely removed. We suggest that use the MalwareBytes that are fully clean your PC system of adware. Moreover, the free application will help you to delete malware, PUPs, browser hijacker infections and toolbars that your personal computer may be infected too.
Download MalwareBytes Free by clicking on the link below. Save it directly to your Microsoft Windows Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
Once downloading is complete, close all apps and windows on your PC. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup as displayed below.
When the installation begins, you will see the “Setup wizard” which will help you set up Malwarebytes on your computer.
Once installation is done, you will see window as displayed on the image below.
Now press the “Scan Now” button to start checking your system for the SearchReceipts that causes multiple annoying ads and pop ups. A scan may take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the count of files on your computer and the speed of your personal computer. While the MalwareBytes Anti Malware utility is checking, you may see how many objects it has identified as being infected by malicious software.
Once MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) completes the scan, the results are displayed in the scan report. In order to remove all items, simply click “Quarantine Selected” button.
The Malwarebytes will now remove SearchReceipts adware software and move any security threats to the Quarantine. After finished, you may be prompted to reboot your computer.
The following video explains steps on how to get rid of hijacker, adware and other malicious software with MalwareBytes Free.
How to stay safe online
In order to increase your security and protect your computer against new annoying advertisements and harmful webpages, you need to run adblocker program that blocks an access to harmful advertisements and web pages. Moreover, the program may stop the show of intrusive advertising, that also leads to faster loading of web sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
AdGuard can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your Microsoft Windows desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
After the download is done, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen as shown on the screen below.
Follow the prompts. When the install is complete, you will see a window as shown in the figure below.
You can click “Skip” to close the installation application and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial that will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you start your system, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted ads, block malicious or misleading web sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which may be found on your desktop.
After completing the step-by-step tutorial outlined above, your machine should be clean from SearchReceipts and other unwanted software. The IE, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and MS Edge will no longer display unwanted SearchReceipts ads. Unfortunately, if the few simple steps does not help you, then you have caught a new adware software, and then the best way – ask for help here.